***Official St Johnstone FC Vs Heart of Midlothian FC Match Thread***

gregzy2k7

11 hours ago, gnasher75 said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see a few players rested tomorrow with Saturday in mind. If Boyce is 50/50, he'll probably be kept for the Aberdeen game. Beni took a lot of kicks on Saturday and Kingsley was obviously struggling with injury.

Halliday, Haring, GMS and Moore might all get a game and Neilson suggested Gnanduillet would get his chance up front.

My guess would be:

Gordon

Moore Halkett Souttar

Smith Haring Devlin Halliday

MacKay Gnanduillet GMS 

Then for Saturday revert back to:

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley 

Smith Beni Devlin Cochrane 

MacKay Boyce Woodburn 

Personally I have lost confidence in Gnanduillet but maybe this will be the game he finally lives up to the promise he showed when he scored twice on his debut.

We are only 10 games into the season ffs why should we be resting players unless they have an injury?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff

• Hearts007

• GinRummy

• Harry Potter

24 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Most games are tight in scoreline tho. 

We just drew with Dundee at home 1-1, St Johnstone are better than them. 

I think we'll win tonight and draw or get beat sat. 

Yeah most are. Seems to be a great team spirit in the squad these days. I do think we'll bounce back from Saturdays disappointing result.

Bazzas right boot
20 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

According to the BBC since our last win against them which was 0 - 2 in November 2010 we have managed seven defeats and six draws.

For a club like our that just isn't good enough and needs to be sorted.

I was reading on hear about how JJ and Lockey used the media to spur the players on by posting clipping from various newspapers on the dressing room wall.

Robbie should be posting our record against this lot on the wall and telling them to get the finger out and give their loyal fans something to sing and shout about, namely a win.

I agree, but Bob won't fix all the ills over the last ten years in one season. 

To expect such is a bit daft imo. 

Each game should be taken individually and we can win there but the other team will feel the same. 

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley

Mckay Devlin Beni Cochrane

Woodburn

Gnando GMS

For me, Smith hasn’t got the legs for RWB and too many attacks breakdown because he can’t beat a man so makes a negative pass killing our momentum. He’s a great RB and defender but wingback he is not. I’d bench him and bring him on towards the end of the game when we need more defensive stability. 

Gnando was isolated on Saturday, so maybe going two up top will create space for him? Woodburn might be more effective in behind. 

Doubt we’ll see any of these changes but it’s apparent we’re failing to create enough chances and aren’t putting away the few we do. 

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

We are only 10 games into the season ffs why should we be resting players unless they have an injury?

To prevent injuries. 

Formation needs tweaked, keep the back 3/5 and go with 3 in the centre and two up top. 

I think the two forwards in wide areas are playing two close to the wingbacks and typically results in a 5-4-1 formation with Boyce isolated.  

I would give Boyce night off, Gnado and Woodburn up top. I would bring in Haring too and give Beni and Devlin license to roam forward more.

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, OTT said:

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley

Mckay Devlin Beni Cochrane

Woodburn

Gnando GMS

For me, Smith hasn’t got the legs for RWB and too many attacks breakdown because he can’t beat a man so makes a negative pass killing our momentum. He’s a great RB and defender but wingback he is not. I’d bench him and bring him on towards the end of the game when we need more defensive stability. 

Gnando was isolated on Saturday, so maybe going two up top will create space for him? Woodburn might be more effective in behind. 

Doubt we’ll see any of these changes but it’s apparent we’re failing to create enough chances and aren’t putting away the few we do. 

Disagree with this Tbh. 

We are creating chances, in most games a good bit more than the other team. 

Smith is one of our better players and we don't have better to replace him with either. 

He's also one of the fittest, all over the park so fitness (legs) isn't a problem imo. Not sure how anyone can say he's not got the legs. 

We need to be more clinical that I agree with, and Woodburn in behind Gnando could be a shout as we will need bodies around the big man. 

Neilson isn't going to panic like some of the folk on here. Absolutely astounding that after one injury and one draw folk are hell bent on changing everything. For me Gnando isn't good enough and the change I would make is Woodburn centre and GMS out wide. That's it, no need for wholesale changes and I can't see it being tinkered with much. Beni had an off day Saturday, it happens, but has shown enough in his previous games how good he is. 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Formation needs tweaked, keep the back 3/5 and go with 3 in the centre and two up top. 

I think the two forwards in wide areas are playing two close to the wingbacks and typically results in a 5-4-1 formation with Boyce isolated.  

I would give Boyce night off, Gnado and Woodburn up top. I would bring in Haring too and give Beni and Devlin license to roam forward more.

Agree with the striker being isolated, we could do with being a bit more narrow or another attacking mid or striker in support of Boyce or in tonight's game Gnando. 

1 minute ago, PapaShango said:

Neilson isn't going to panic like some of the folk on here. Absolutely astounding that after one injury and one draw folk are hell bent on changing everything. For me Gnando isn't good enough and the change I would make is Woodburn centre and GMS out wide. That's it, no need for wholesale changes and I can't see it being tinkered with much. Beni had an off day Saturday, it happens, but has shown enough in his previous games how good he is. 

The manager won't do that though and he'll play Gnando. I can't imagine Gnando popping up all over the place looking for the ball like Boyce does, so other changes will probably be needed or he'll end up isolated. IMO, of course.

Berra than you
5 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Disagree with this Tbh. 

Smith is one of our better players and we don't have better to replace him with either. 

He's also one of the fittest, all over the park so fitness (legs) isn't a problem imo. Not sure how anyone can say he's not got the legs. 

We need to be more clinical that I agree with, and Woodburn in behind Gnando could be a shout as we will need bodies around the big man. 

He has also been like an extra man in midfield at times, drifting in and allowing McKay to drift wide or Souttar to surge forward. We look worse when he's not playing.

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Disagree with this Tbh. 

Im saying he doesn’t have the pace to beat a man, he has the stamina for 90 minutes no problem but I don’t think we’re seeing him at his best at

Wingback. I’d much rather try something different than see the same again from him. 

I think he’s one of the best defenders we’ve had at the club since Budge took over, but he’s not a wingback and it’s painfully apparent. If we were playing 4 at the back, I can’t moan, but I think wingback is a much more attacking position than he is capable of performing to. 

Hopefully we’ll see a change in our structure up front at least because Perth is a hard place to go and Gnando isn’t going to do well if we rinse and repeat Saturday 😬

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, OTT said:

Im saying he doesn’t have the pace to beat a man, he has the stamina for 90 minutes no problem but I don’t think we’re seeing him at his best at

Wingback. I’d much rather try something different than see the same again from him. 

I think he’s one of the best defenders we’ve had at the club since Budge took over, but he’s not a wingback and it’s painfully apparent. If we were playing 4 at the back, I can’t moan, but I think wingback is a much more attacking position than he is capable of performing to. 

Hopefully we’ll see a change in our structure up front at least because Perth is a hard place to go and Gnando isn’t going to do well if we rinse and repeat Saturday 😬

We don't have a wb that is better than Smith imo. 

It's a pointless discussion just now as we won't replace or upgrade him until the summer. 

He's still our best right sided player and 1 of the best players in the team. 

He and Mackay were working well together as well I thought. 

I wouldn't drop him, the team is worse without him. 

Agree last part. 

I also think Haring will play, we're a bit lightweight imo. 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

He has also been like an extra man in midfield at times, drifting in and allowing McKay to drift wide or Souttar to surge forward. We look worse when he's not playing.

100%

How anyone can think different is one that amazes me. 

We also have no magical, fast wb that has a laser  accurate like cross either waiting behind him. 

If we did it might be more open for debate, but we don't. 

49 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

To prevent injuries. 

I can see the point in not playing a player such as Boyce as he was injured on Saturday and if he is 50/50 for tonight then don't take the risk.

Similarly in Robbie os aware of a player with a niggle that may get worse by playing then yes it is better to rest them.

However most people were happy to see the same team again on Saturday so why change it other than any enforced ones?

Every player in every game has a chance of an injury.

34 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

100%

How anyone can think different is one that amazes me. 

We also have no magical, fast wb that has a laser  accurate like cross either waiting behind him. 

If we did it might be more open for debate, but we don't. 

Yip 100% agree with this👍

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I can see the point in not playing a player such as Boyce as he was injured on Saturday and if he is 50/50 for tonight then don't take the risk.

Similarly in Robbie os aware of a player with a niggle that may get worse by playing then yes it is better to rest them.

However most people were happy to see the same team again on Saturday so why change it other than any enforced ones?

Every player in every game has a chance of an injury.

Agreed. 

1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

According to the BBC since our last win against them which was 0 - 2 in November 2010 we have managed seven defeats and six draws.

For a club like our that just isn't good enough and needs to be sorted.

I was reading on hear about how JJ and Lockey used the media to spur the players on by posting clipping from various newspapers on the dressing room wall.

Robbie should be posting our record against this lot on the wall and telling them to get the finger out and give their loyal fans something to sing and shout about, namely a win.

Our last away win, i presume.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Yeah most are. Seems to be a great team spirit in the squad these days. I do think we'll bounce back from Saturdays disappointing result.

Hopefully. 

We might hit a wee run of Games without a win, although if we do we’ll turn it around again. 

I wouldn't play Boyce if he is only at 50% due to injury. He's too important a player to miss for 5-6 games. Better just wrapping him up in cotton wool and bring him back when he's fully fit.

That said we don't have many alternatives. Playing Gnando will be like starting with a man down. Woodburn hasn't set the heather alight but he at least has good ball control and movement. We know Walker can score goals but he hasn't kicked a ball for weeks. Tough yin for Robbie tbh. 

Tonight will be a good test for boba fett and the boys.  Not sure I like the idea of playing Woodburn as lone striker.  It would show a lack of trust in Gnando as well.  Big call to make if Boyce is out.  

We have done pretty well away from home this season so far.  Let's break the perth hoodoo!

11 years since the last league win in Perth :facepalm:

Come on Hearts - set things straight tonight! I’ll miss the first half because of work but I’ll be tuning in for the second. :flag1: 

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Cochrane 

Smith Beni Cammy Halliday

Gino Gnando McKay 

is what I think the team will be. Boyce struggling and Kingsley went down a few times during the game on Saturday. 

25 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

Tonight will be a good test for boba fett and the boys.  Not sure I like the idea of playing Woodburn as lone striker.  It would show a lack of trust in Gnando as well.  Big call to make if Boyce is out.  

We have done pretty well away from home this season so far.  Let's break the perth hoodoo!

Think he’s just got to give Gnando the chance, simple as that.

Like you say,there’s aspects surrounding his situation like trust and belief from the manager and keeping him tuned in until we add to the squad again. 

You can always hook him if it’s not happening.  

I've never been to keen on Gnando but he was good enough for almost everyone up until the weekend - one (dreadful) 30 minute cameo doesn't make or break a player.

This is his big chance tonight - he has to put in a performance to get the support back on his side. Goals are a bonus but we demand effort which was sadly lacking against Dundee (he still wasn't to blame for us drawing though)

1 hour ago, Butterbean1874 said:

Anybody any ideas for parking tonight dinny fancy the stadium car park 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

Iv always chanced my luck in Tesco car park - never been a problem 

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley 

Smith Beni Devlin Cochrane

Mckay Gnando GMS

If we’re playing Gnando we need players who can cross a ball.

Hope Smith has been saving his successful crosses for this game because he’s had dozens that haven’t beat the first man. 

I won't be relying on Hesgoal tonight. They had the Championship fixtures listed last night early on, but when I went back to click on the Ayr Killie game later it disappeared. I have bought the Saints package, and it has the away team option. 

The Apprentice
40 minutes ago, jonesy said:

What's all this nonsense about Beni not playing well on Saturday?

He made one mistake. He otherwise controlled the midfield, dispossessing their most dangerous (in both an attacking and aggressive sense) numerous times, showing great close control and awareness throughout. Found himself in good shooting positions at times, but failed to score, much like our forward line.

Agreed. The only thing Beni was guilty of on Saturday was not having a shot when he had the chance.

37 minutes ago, jonesy said:

He made one mistake. He otherwise controlled the midfield, dispossessing their most dangerous (in both an attacking and aggressive sense) numerous times, showing great close control and awareness throughout. Found himself in good shooting positions at times, but failed to score, much like our forward line.

That's good to know.

I have a theory that those who didn't notice Beni's contribution were, like me, watching at home on TV stream. 

When you're there you can see exactly who's putting the effort in. On TV, most players are not in view.

(I'm hoping to return once I get my booster in a couple of weeks. ) 

44 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Defo mate, Beni has been immense, one brain fart late on in a game doesn't change that. 

The Apprentice
8 hours ago, jamboozy said:

I honestly would sacrifice a result here if it meant key players were rested, Wednesday night games in the rain and glaur can sometimes end up with injuries or strains, I certainly wouldn’t risk Boycie at this one.

I'm sorry that's not the attitude to have - whether 'key' players are missing or not we should be aiming to win this, especially when the only doubt is Boyce. Neilson in particular has been banging on about how strong the squad is for a while now, and praising the depth/options he has. It's a run of games in weeks like this where it gets put to the test.

12 minutes ago, The Apprentice said:

Agreed. The only thing Beni was guilty of on Saturday was not having a shot when he had the chance.

He also never covered Cummings for their goal. Having said that I am not suggesting he should not play tonight far from it. I think we will struggle once he is out though injury or susupension.

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Defo mate, Beni has been immense, one brain fart late on in a game doesn't change that. 

If GMS shot is 6 inches further in, we win that game 2 or 3 nil and 90% of the discussion about the players doesn't happen. 

It's fine margins. 

Football fans just get too low or too high very easily. 

1 result from unacceptable. 

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Agreed, he was excellent again, bar the one moment with Cummings. 

40 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Think he’s just got to give Gnando the chance, simple as that.

Like you say,there’s aspects surrounding his situation like trust and belief from the manager and keeping him tuned in until we add to the squad again. 

You can always hook him if it’s not happening.  

Agree with that

7 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

He also never covered Cummings for their goal. Having said that I am not suggesting he should not play tonight far from it. I think we will struggle once he is out though injury or susupension.

Every player makes mistakes like that, we got punished for it, these things happen.  Failing to score more than 1 was, ultimately, the failing.  Beni had a great game up till then keeping Adam very quiet, I thought.

8 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

Agree with that

Every player makes mistakes like that, we got punished for it, these things happen.  Failing to score more than 1 was, ultimately, the failing.  Beni had a great game up till then keeping Adam very quiet, I thought.

The game should have been done and dusted early second half. The GMS shot goes in we win that 3 or 4. 

HillmanHearts

This will be quite physical.
Will we win enough ball to play around them with our normal 343 ?
Robbie may go 3142 ( ish )

Think Haring will come in. Maybe Devlin will get a bit of license to bomb further forward.

Robbie may give Gnando a start. Hopefully he grabs the chance ! ( there cannae  be too many left )

Big decisions for Robbie.

Gordon.

Souttar, Halkett, Kingsley.

Haring.

Smith,       Beni,     Devlin,    Cochrane.

McKay,  Gnando.

7 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

If GMS shot is 6 inches further in, we win that game 2 or 3 nil and 90% of the discussion about the players doesn't happen. 

It's fine margins. 

Football fans just get too low or too high very easily. 

1 result from unacceptable. 

You mean if Michael Smith put that sitter away in the first instance, then Gary would have walked away with another assist? :lol:

Fine margins, defo.

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Indeed, He's still trying to get fat Charlie Adam out of his pocket! He got zero out of Beni.

Messi has an off game now and then eh?

Beni mis cleared/tackled the ball twice up at the gorgie stand side twice that nearly led to a dundee goal.  The first tackle started in the center and went out wide left.  He never got goal side of Cummings for their equaliser.    Apart from that he was solid and dependable.    He's not perfect, still learning.   For their goal I thought Halkett was a spare man, so he has to take some responsibility as well.   Not the first time either. 

I've gave it alot of thought and I think it could easily be a draw tonight but we will win 0-1.    GMS or Mckay look about the closest to a Scorer if Boyce is missing. 

28 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

Agree with that

I know that. I don't think we kept Adam that quite in the second half though. He was allowed to knock far too many balls forward as we seemed to drop off him a bit.

We should have scored more goals I agree but we could say that about a number of our games.

Our front players really need to be finding the net more often, hopefully they can start doing that tonight.

25 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

You mean if Michael Smith put that sitter away in the first instance, then Gary would have walked away with another assist? :lol:

Fine margins, defo.

Or if Boyce could have been a bit quicker with his two chances although to be fair to him Ashcroft made a great saving tackle for the second chance.

Hackney Hearts
44 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Beni mis cleared/tackled the ball twice up at the gorgie stand side twice that nearly led to a dundee goal. 

Yes, surprised no-one had mentioned this. It was so un-Beni-like (not once, but twice) that it stood out like a sore thumb.

I guess it's a measure of how brilliant he's been that a couple of errors seem to make it his worst ever game for Hearts! And as others have said, there was a load of his usual outstanding work in the rest of the match.

1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

I won't be relying on Hesgoal tonight. They had the Championship fixtures listed last night early on, but when I went back to click on the Ayr Killie game later it disappeared. I have bought the Saints package, and it has the away team option. 

Do you have a link to this?... can't see a streaming option/purchase on their website.