***Official St Johnstone FC Vs Heart of Midlothian FC Match Thread***

gregzy2k7

The next couple of games will show us if our squad is actually as strong as we are being told it is. 

If the players can live up to their recent comments regarding strength, unity and quality in the squad then this would be a great time to show it and lay down a marker for the rest of the teams hoping to beat/split the OF. 

Big opportunity for the players to show that they really do believe they can compete at the top. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff

• Hearts007

• GinRummy

• Harry Potter

13 minutes ago, 5-1Jambo said:

The next couple of games will show us if our squad is actually as strong as we are being told it is. 

If the players can live up to their recent comments regarding strength, unity and quality in the squad then this would be a great time to show it and lay down a marker for the rest of the teams hoping to beat/split the OF. 

Big opportunity for the players to show that they really do believe they can compete at the top. 

Who has said the squad is strong? 

The squad definitely isn't strong. If we lose Boyce or M. Smith, we can't replace them. 

scott herbertson
28 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

We got beat there in CL’s last game as Hearts boss in 2019. 

Don't mention that game - right up there with my worst matches to watch ever - don't recall a single shot from us

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

The squad definitely isn't strong. If we lose Boyce or M. Smith, we can't replace them. 

Add to that a natural left sided Centre Back. Kingsley has done ok but it is not really his best position.

Just now, Cruyff said:

The coaches and players say the squad is strong. Robbie been saying he has to have chats with Walker and MacEneef because the squad is so good they can't even make the bench. 

The guys have to show that they can still win games without their main striker. All teams have a player that they hope won't get injured but its up to the rest of the players to carry the load. 

Just now, wavydavy said:

Add to that a natural left sided Centre Back. Kingsley has done ok but it is not really his best position.

I'd maybe have said that before the summer but Kingsley has been magnificent in that position tbh 

Just now, 5-1Jambo said:

The coaches and players say the squad is strong. Robbie been saying he has to have chats with Walker and MacEneef because the squad is so good they can't even make the bench. 

The guys have to show that they can still win games without their main striker. All teams have a player that they hope won't get injured but its up to the rest of the players to carry the load. 

Maybe in certain areas but we're really don't have a strong squad or even a strong bench. If Gordon, Smith or Boyce are injured, we're toiling. Everytime we make subs we lose control of games because we're weaker. I certainly wouldn't believe Robbie if he truly believes that. 

38 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

We got beat there in CL’s last game as Hearts boss in 2019. 

Yup, I could only take what I got from LH and they didn't show that or the Sean Clare game which was 1st Feb 2020, the one where Uche tripped over the ball and Clare scored a beauty in injury time.

Everything fades into a mist when you get to a certain age.

1 minute ago, upgotheheads said:

Yup, I could only take what I got from LH and they didn't show that or the Sean Clare game which was 1st Feb 2020, the one where Uche tripped over the ball and Clare scored a beauty in injury time.

That game was utterly bonkers, in good positions to win the game and popadom hands strikes again, twice, then, adrivij? Has a great chance to whip a dangerous ball into the box and does what? Balloons it out of play. Was absolutely fuming that night. 

32 minutes ago, 5-1Jambo said:

I think this game will tell us a lot,  on paper we should win just as, on paper, we should have won so many games during the last year of Levein's managership. I have reservations about the striking department and if we could get Walker back into the side we'd be the better for it imo.

3 minutes ago, gordiegords said:

That game was utterly bonkers, in good positions to win the game and popadom hands strikes again, twice, then, adrivij? Has a great chance to whip a dangerous ball into the box and does what? Balloons it out of play. Was absolutely fuming that night. 

Yes I was there. I think it might have been the first evidence of just how bad the hologram was.

13 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Tell me about it. 😄

8 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Yes I was there. I think it might have been the first evidence of just how bad the hologram was.

...we should have seen the signs really.

holo.jpg

53 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Not sure I agree with that tbh mate.  I think he's been excellent there.  And having a player who can step forward from that position and add to our attack is brilliant too.

Def agree re CF and RWB though.  V interesting to see if Cam Logan can push for a place, even as understudy once fit.

59 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Kingsley has been excellent this season.

2 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Aye. Decent point at the end. 

I don’t think it’ll happen but I’d like to see a more midfield orientated option ahead of Beni and Devlin supporting the frontman through the centre. 

Someone who naturally drops back in but sparks to go forward when we have the ball. However, it seems Walker and McEneff are well out the picture.  A forwards nature can sometimes be to switch off to dropping back into a defensive position.  

I don’t think it’s working with Woodburn starting wider and who’s struggling for strong form there, maybe we get his mind set for playing through the middle in a different role?

We’ve all witnessed his striking of the ball. Get him closer to goal earlier and use his best parts.  

I like the idea of Woodburn playing more centrally. As for McEneff, I can understand why Beni and Devlin are first picks but having both Haring and Halliday on the bench is a bit pointless. We need guys like Aaron who can offer us something different, not just straight replacements to stay in formation.

Bazzas right boot

Hope we **** them. 

Team of hammer throwers who got lucky last season. 

Tin pot outfit that everyone loves. 

I have developed an irrational dislike for St Johnstone. 

Everyone's best pal, over performed, community club, blah blah. 

They are ****ing shite, functional team, no ambition and generally just  annoying. 

Horatio Caine
1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Hope we **** them. 

They are ****ing shite, functional team, no ambition and generally just  annoying. 

Don't hold back SRB, tell us what you really think!

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I like the idea of Woodburn playing more centrally. As for McEneff, I can understand why Beni and Devlin are first picks but having both Haring and Halliday on the bench is a bit pointless. We need guys like Aaron who can offer us something different, not just straight replacements to stay in formation.

Was thinking that at the weekend, we have two or three guys if you count GMS who can play LWB, Haring can cover midfield and CH so harsh as it might be on Moore who has been good putting Walker and McEneff on the bench gives different attacking options. 
It kind of gives you an insight into how the manager thinks. 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Hope we **** them. 

They got a pass because the beat Hibs in both those cup competitions last year, can’t stand them tbh.
Most of us take pleasure in Hibs not winning trophies 😜

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

Good to see he has a negative side too, maybe it’s just teams in that shade of blue he hates 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️😜?

11 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Kingsley has been excellent this season.

I am not saying he hasn't been doing well but I would prefer to have a natural left sided CB and allow Kingsley to play in his best position which is LWB.

I know we currently have Cochrane but will he be with us next season. Will Kingsley ?

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Good to see he has a negative side too, maybe it’s just teams in that shade of blue he hates 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️😜?

😳😳😳.... 

9 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Hope we **** them. 

I agree. Almost everyone seems to like them as well. Hope we smash them.

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Was thinking that at the weekend, we have two or three guys if you count GMS who can play LWB, Haring can cover midfield and CH so harsh as it might be on Moore who has been good putting Walker and McEneff on the bench gives different attacking options. 
It kind of gives you an insight into how the manager thinks. 

Yep. We definitely need something different on the bench.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

They got a pass because the beat Hibs in both those cup competitions last year, can’t stand them tbh.
Most of us take pleasure in Hibs not winning trophies 😜

Fair point, similar as Hamilton for the play off result, still ****ing hate them as well tho. 

We need to put clubs like ****ing St Johnstone in their box. 

Teams like them winning the cup double is bull shite. 

It's either great that a club like that can achieve so much or just a daming indictment on the state of the Scottish game that a club like that can win trophies. 

I'm for the latter. 

Similar to Hamilton being in the top flight all these years, that said more about the shiteness of every one else as opposed to them being good. 

Thankfully they are well and truely found out now. 

Ross County can gtf as well Tbh. 

Bazzas right boot

I agree. Almost everyone seems to like them as well. Hope we smash them.

Aye, cuddly saints, don't they do well... 

**** off. 

Bazzas right boot

13 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

The are beginning to annoy me. 

Every fans best club. No matter what team someone supports they like st Johnstone. 

Hope they get relegated. 

Twice. 

If we start with Gnando then maybe we will change to 4-4-2?

Gordon,

Smith. Souttar, Halkett, Kingsley

McKay, Beni, Devlin,  GMS,

Woodward, Gnando.

Attacking options off the bench could include Walker, Gino and McEneff. 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Fair point, similar as Hamilton for the play off result, still ****ing hate them as well tho. 

We need to put clubs like ****ing St Johnstone in their box. 

Teams like them winning the cup double is bull shite. 

It's either great that a club like that can achieve so much or just a daming indictment on the state of the Scottish game that a club like that can win trophies. 

I'm for the latter. 

Similar to Hamilton being in the top flight all these years, that said more about the shiteness of every one else as opposed to them being good. 

Thankfully they are well and truely found out now. 

Ross County can gtf as well Tbh. 

I thought you were all about us not having a divine right to put teams in their box and anyone expecting this has no grip on the reality of football? 
Have you changed your mind that teams with the most money should win all the trophies, if that’s true then we have truly underperformed all my life (we have). 

Surrounded by Hibs fans in the Diggers one wee lassie gave me a fright with a huge cheer when they scored in the final and was crying at the end on the phone to her dad. 
It was hard not to feel happy for them and the unbelievable achievement of winning both cups. 
Especially seeing as it could easily have been the Leiffers, an unbearable thought. 
But I was glad to see them get horsed in Europe and hopefully we can do them tomorrow. 

2 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Gordon,

Woodward, Gnando.

I can certainly see us going to a back 4 to see if we can’t get a bit of width further forward. Having said that we know Halkett struggles in a 4 so it means either Beni or Devlin lying a bit deeper.

Who knows. I certainly think we need some fresh legs just now. We looked a bit off the pace at times against Dundee as well as being a bit predictable and one dimensional. 

Pasquale for King
19 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I am not saying he hasn't been doing well but I would prefer to have a natural left sided CB and allow Kingsley to play in his best position which is LWB.

I know we currently have Cochrane but will he be with us next season. Will Kingsley ?

I agree but I’m not sure if Kingsley has the required fitness to bomb up and down the park unfortunately. If you could combine his quality with Smiths willingness to get about we would have some player. 

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Gordon,

Woodward, Gnando.

Looks good to me, maybe Moore for Halkett if we are playing a four. 

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I thought you were all about us not having a divine right to put teams in their box and anyone expecting this has no grip on the reality of football? 
Have you changed your mind that teams with the most money should win all the trophies, if that’s true then we have truly underperformed all my life (we have). 

Surrounded by Hibs fans in the Diggers one wee lassie gave me a fright with a huge cheer when they scored in the final and was crying at the end on the phone to her dad. 
It was hard not to feel happy for them and the unbelievable achievement of winning both cups. 
Especially seeing as it could easily have been the Leiffers, an unbearable thought. 
But I was glad to see them get horsed in Europe and hopefully we can do them tomorrow. 

I hate them more than I should. 

Hope we pump them, hope they he relegated. 

21 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Gordon,

Woodward, Gnando.

...wouldn't actually mind seeing this formation played out. Tough on Cochrane who's done well... the last couple of games I've noticed a bit more confidence in him with regards to taking players 'on'... but this line-up would be interesting to see.

Berra than you

We have looked nothing short of abysmal every time we have gone to a back four this season. The only time in the league we have started with it was at county and we gave away two easily defendable goals. I don't know why, but we just don't seem comfortable at all with a flat back 4. 

I doubt neilson will deviate from the 5 anyway, it seems to be doing well for us. I would like to think if we play gnando we will change from a 3-4-3 to a 3-5-2 to offer him support, but tbh I see neilson sticking with what's been largely working.

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Fair enough. 

2 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

...wouldn't actually mind seeing this formation played out. Tough on Cochrane who's done well... the last couple of games I've noticed a bit more confidence in him with regards to taking players 'on'... but this line-up would be interesting to see.

I'm a big fan of Cochrane, he's got great engine and gets up and down better than Kingsley, but Kingsley gives us a great option at free-kicks.

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

🤣🤣🤣 kinda with you here... I think it's because I (personally) see them as tinpot. Selling out more than 50% of your ground to an away team doesn't scream 'professional outfit' to me. That said, Davidson has done a decent job with them but we always seem to struggle against them.

They need a doing!... would love to see them relegated also, but scumdee, St Liedown & Ross Cu**y may just be ahead of them in my pecking order. hobos are a given!

Pasquale for King
Just now, Berra than you said:

We have looked nothing short of abysmal every time we have gone to a back four this season. The only time in the league we have started with it was at county and we gave away two easily defendable goals. I don't know why, but we just don't seem comfortable at all with a flat back 4. 

I doubt neilson will deviate from the 5 anyway, it seems to be doing well for us. I would like to think if we play gnando we will change from a 3-4-3 to a 3-5-2 to offer him support, but tbh I see neilson sticking with what's been largely working.

Halkett is the problem. In a 3 his poor decision making can be hidden more easily. Watch those goals against County again and watch his part in them.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I'm a big fan of Cochrane, he's got great engine and gets up and down better than Kingsley, but Kingsley gives us a great option at free-kicks.

He needs to take his man on more often as he will have the beating of most of them, his crossing also needs a bit or work but it’s not easy finding Boyce or a winger if they’re the only ones in the box. 

4 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

..yeah, we're definitely more solid with a 3 at the back... so it would be Cochrane/GMS. Either way, I think it's a front 2 pairing I'm keen to see (again) - especially against a lesser team.

Berra than you
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Halkett is the problem. In a 3 his poor decision making can be hidden more easily. Watch those goals against County again and watch his part in them.

Whilst I agree Halkett looks so much better in the 3, I think it also helps to get the best out of Souttar and probably Kingsley aswell. 

At the end of the day, we need to get more from our forward players at the moment. For me we need to change something in that end of the park, be that formation, personnel or tactics. But we should not sacrifice what we have defensively imo.

Wouldn’t be dropping any of the back three or Cochrane, Smith has been hit or miss this season but he seems to be the only player joining Boyce in the box when we create a chance

5 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

Whilst I agree Halkett looks so much better in the 3, I think it also helps to get the best out of Souttar and probably Kingsley aswell. 

At the end of the day, we need to get more from our forward players at the moment. For me we need to change something in that end of the park, be that formation, personnel or tactics. But we should not sacrifice what we have defensively imo.

I have been on Halkett's back all season.  I feel Moffatt is a superior player but I understand why Neilson starts with the contracted players.  The issue for me is that despite all his good work, goals conceded usually have Halkett out of position or dithering. 

Edited by Tasavallan

1 minute ago, Tasavallan said:

I have been on Halkett's back all season.  I feel Moffatt is a superior player but I understand why Neilson stars with the contracted players.  The issue for me is that despite all his good work, goals conceded usually have Halkett out of position or dithering. 

Would be good to see this Moffatt lad get a shot

54 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Gordon,

Woodward, Gnando.

I think more likely we'd keep 3 at the back but play our "wingers" a bit closer to Gnando, which does 2 things - gives the wing to the WBs to hopefully get plenty crosses in, and also gets players around the big guy to play off him/win second balls.

2 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I think more likely we'd keep 3 at the back but play our "wingers" a bit closer to Gnando, which does 2 things - gives the wing to the WBs to hopefully get plenty crosses in, and also gets players around the big guy to play off him/win second balls.

This is how we should be playing with Boyce as well imo

the outside centre backs are perfectly capable of supporting the wide areas 

I reckon Robbie will stick with the 343 and same players that have done well the last few games and fair enough. 

I would like to see us line up in a 4231 as feel it plays Smith and cochrane to their strengths as defenders and gives us an extra attacking player. Having Woodburn more central might suit hi.. better. Something like this:-

Gordon

Smith  Moore   Souttar  Cochrane

Beni        devlin

Mckay       Woodburn      GMS

Boyce (if fit) or Gnando

Edited by Paulp74

1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

I thought he was our best player on Saturday.

A left footed Dave Clunie...

Kidd’s Boots

Would be happy to stick with 343 as the squad will be comfortable working to this. Woodburn sitting on the bench for 60mins would be my 1st change. He has been a bit petulant in the last few games and Saturday raised his profile to referee’s, Gino in for him. McEneff in for Beni, Halliday out of the match day squad making way for Woodburn on the bench. Options for Haring or Beni coming on depending on situation. Midfield really needs to start contributing goals