***Official St Johnstone FC Vs Heart of Midlothian FC Match Thread***

gregzy2k7

Haven't won there in ages, going to be tough, especially, after letting 2 points slip away at the weekend.

Need the win badly, too many draws are killing us, hopefully both erse cheeks drop points, to make it a perfect round of midweek fixtures.

1-2 Hearts 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff

• Hearts007

• GinRummy

• Harry Potter

13 hours ago, Sherbet said:

It will be a hard game   GMS doesnt have the heart

This

Absolute Scenes

My anger has subsided from Saturday and perspective has returned. Dundee played with 11 men behind the ball for most of the game which is a lazy, cloggers game to play. McPake is no footballing genius, but unfortunate we couldnt break them down. We did hit the post twice and better decision making from a few in thier box would have been the difference

However we move on, and my love for the team continues to grow. Beni and Devlin can still have my further children if they wish. Still waiting on a reply from my letters but we'll see

Anyway. Perth Pantwetters are getting their jotters on Wednesday. If Boyce isnt fit, maybe try Woodburn up top, dont think he needs rested, i just think he needs to find the goal soon. McKay and Ginnelly either side of him. 

Absolute Scenes
11 minutes ago, rmreido said:

Haven't won there in ages, going to be tough, especially, after letting 2 points slip away at the weekend.

Need the win badly, too many draws are killing us, hopefully both erse cheeks drop points, to make it a perfect round of midweek fixtures.

1-2 Hearts 

This is true, however Neilsons team have a way of breaking hoodoos (St mirren away, Ibrox result, Celtic at home etc) so am confident he will add this as another broken hoodoo

Can’t afford to many slip ups if we are genuine title challenges. If we are aiming form top three then we are right on course. 

Craig Gordon interview: 

https://t.co/V4SGhB7IqB

Talks about the disappointing Dundee equaliser, but focuses largely on the start to the season as a whole and the need to be more clinical in front of goal against St Johnstone and beyond. 

Reads appreciated

1 hour ago, Riccarton3 said:

You would rarely see a more clear cut pen. Suso touches the ball past defender in the box and he takes him down, going to ground. 

I remember it looking iffy from where we were sitting and Maybury was raging, which is usually an indicator of it being soft.

That said, it was almost 10 years ago so you’ll need to excuse me if the memory has faded over time. 

8 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

GMS Gnando McKay across the front for me. Boyce might be able to go but he's too valuable to us to risk a long-term injury by rushing him back, and it's frankly time to see what Gnando can do for a whole game, and whether his Rangers self or his Dundee self is the real one.

Woodburn needs a rest. Thought this after Rangers and think it twice as much now. Nothing wrong with that.

Also put Walker on the bench FFS. We need goals.

Agree on Walker. He probably scores at least one of the chance that fell to GMS and Woodburn.

15 hours ago, kila said:

Woodburn isn't shy about having a pop at goal, and he can handle the physical part of it (as long as he keeps his cool). I'd go with a front three of GMS, Woodburn, McKay.

Why GMS ?

Hopefully St Johnstone come on to us more than Dundee did, as it’s hard for any team, including the old firm, to break down a defence as deep as that. We did more than enough to win the game but it wasn’t to be, if we can continue the performance level into Wednesday I fancy us to win. Hopefully Boyce fit, will be Gnando in if he isn’t. 

This game has been sticking out like a sore thumb for me.  Allbeit the last two haven't gone how I thought (assumed loss then win), but this has always been the game that concerned me as far as our momentum.

Even the fact it's midweek for some reason.  Positive is that if we go up there and win, it'll feel like we're really in a good place.

Not sure what I'd do with the team but I wouldn't change shape overly I don't think.  It's all just about being clinical.  We get our wingbacks in some amazing positions and what I can't work out is if it's their final ball or a lack of options that it so often falls down at that point.

Gnando not as bad as everyone is saying.  If we don't lose a terrible goal and especially if anyone had put a cross near him on Sat, we'd be saying different.  He was good against Rangers and a big part of that point we got remember.

I'm going 1-2.  McKay and Gnando.  2-0 up lose a goal with 10 to go, hang on in, with help from Craigy.

36 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I hope Gnando is nowhere near the starting XI on Wednesday. He can't be trusted to do a job unfortunately. 

Seriously worried if Boyce is out. I'd rather someone took up the role of striker than use that imposter. Needs emptied at the first opportunity. 

14 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

This game has been sticking out like a sore thumb for me.  Allbeit the last two haven't gone how I thought (assumed loss then win), but this has always been the game that concerned me as far as our momentum.

Even the fact it's midweek for some reason.  Positive is that if we go up there and win, it'll feel like we're really in a good place.

Not sure what I'd do with the team but I wouldn't change shape overly I don't think.  It's all just about being clinical.  We get our wingbacks in some amazing positions and what I can't work out is if it's their final ball or a lack of options that it so often falls down at that point.

Gnando not as bad as everyone is saying.  If we don't lose a terrible goal and especially if anyone had put a cross near him on Sat, we'd be saying different.  He was good against Rangers and a big part of that point we got remember.

I'm going 1-2.  McKay and Gnando.  2-0 up lose a goal with 10 to go, hang on in, with help from Craigy.

That's the frustrating thing about Gnando. He changed things at Ibrox and was a big part of us getting a point. Then he comes on on Saturday and just didn't look like he could be bothered

12 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Seriously worried if Boyce is out. I'd rather someone took up the role of striker than use that imposter. Needs emptied at the first opportunity. 

We should play Woodburn there with GMS & McKay in support. 

The Apprentice

Woodburn has been really poor IMO. He's been subbed early in the last two games for that reason so not sure why he'd need a rest. I've no doubt he's a talented player but for whatever reason its not going for him at the minute and its whether to continue to play him through it and hope he comes good or bring him out. Personally with the options we have I'd give GMS or Ginnelly a go from the start. 

16 hours ago, Sherbet said:

It will be a hard game   GMS doesnt have the heart

This.

Hard fought, physical game will see him hiding I am afraid.

20 minutes ago, XB52 said:

That's the frustrating thing about Gnando. He changed things at Ibrox and was a big part of us getting a point. Then he comes on on Saturday and just didn't look like he could be bothered

His attitude was all wrong by him on Saturday.

Maybe half an hour was too long for him 😏

Think we all knew we lacked fire power. Recruited well but it's goals that make draws into wins, even losses into draws at worst. Club the size of Hearts should not effectively be reliant on Boyce. Goals now need to come from others. It actually frustrates the investment made in other areas. 5-0 Hearts.

If Boyce is out, I would be tempted to play Halkett up front ahead of Gnanduillet. Moore can come back into the defence. 

Gordon 

Moore Souttar Kingsley

Smith Beni Devlin Cochrane 

Ginnelly Halkett McKay

13 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

If Boyce is out, I would be tempted to play Halkett up front ahead of Gnanduillet. Moore can come back into the defence. 

Gordon 

Moore Souttar Kingsley

Ginnelly Halkett McKay

Bold strategy but I like it. 

One of the features so-far has been our settled squad, it's amazing when you think back three years to what happened then. 

If Boyce doesn't make it maybe Walker in the position could be the answer, it's not as if we would be losing any pace, and he has a decent shot.

First away game for a wee while, cannot wait! A bit disappointed I have left it so late and the main allocation is sold out, as it is great to be in amongst it however in the Ormond stand behind the other goal. Hopefully that area can get close to a sell out too. 

4 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

£17.50 ppv is outrageous and deserves to be boycotted. Hopefully a free stream for me.

So, Tiddler, it's you and the St Johnstone bean counters in a race to the moral bottom. What would your old team-mate Tommy say to this flagrant disregard for the ten commandments?

4 hours ago, Mars plastic said:

I remember it looking iffy from where we were sitting and Maybury was raging, which is usually an indicator of it being soft.

That said, it was almost 10 years ago so you’ll need to excuse me if the memory has faded over time. 

He was going radge as it was the last minute and he made a **** of it. The rest, as you say, is history. I hope you can remember the goals from the final.

Edited by Riccarton3

bobby bombscare
13 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

GMS Gnando McKay across the front for me. Boyce might be able to go but he's too valuable to us to risk a long-term injury by rushing him back, and it's frankly time to see what Gnando can do for a whole game, and whether his Rangers self or his Dundee self is the real one.

Woodburn needs a rest. Thought this after Rangers and think it twice as much now. Nothing wrong with that.

Also put Walker on the bench FFS. We need goals.

No idea what has gone on behind the scenes with Walker and Neilson but you saw it last year in the championship that walker couldn't buy himself a run of games! Even when he scored and assisted, he was back on the bench the next week.. Harring was a bit of the same. Neilson has also been vocal about getting a replacement in for smith on a number of occasions and was always looking to get him out the starting 11. 

I think it comes down to the fact that Neilson never signed them.. When you look at it, not a single player from the old regime has kept their place bar Souttar and Boyce.. Harring, has been in the team only when absolutely no other options and Smith and Halkett have fought to keep their places but more due to a lack of options than because they're wanted. I believe outside of soutter, none of them will have their contracts renewed and replacements will be brought in.  

I'm not saying this is a bad thing maybe he is getting rid of all traces of that underachieving squad. But for me, I think they could be used more than they are now. So it doesn't matter if walker provides 20 goals and 20 assists, he will be below Gino, GMS and Woodburn and will not see his contract renewed. 

Again, not trying to have a go at Neilson as tough decisions need to be made to get a turnaround like we've had. Just what I see happening.

1 hour ago, XB52 said:

Sadly that scenario appears to be becoming a never ending story.

1 hour ago, gnasher75 said:

Gordon 

Moore Souttar Kingsley

Ginnelly Halkett McKay

Hmmm - the Eddie Thomson ploy!

10 minutes ago, bobby bombscare said:

No idea what has gone on behind the scenes with Walker and Neilson but you saw it last year in the championship that walker couldn't buy himself a run of games! Even when he scored and assisted, he was back on the bench the next week.. Harring was a bit of the same. Neilson has also been vocal about getting a replacement in for smith on a number of occasions and was always looking to get him out the starting 11. 

I think it comes down to the fact that Neilson never signed them.. When you look at it, not a single player from the old regime has kept their place bar Souttar and Boyce.. Harring, has been in the team only when absolutely no other options and Smith and Halkett have fought to keep their places but more due to a lack of options than because they're wanted. I believe outside of soutter, none of them will have their contracts renewed and replacements will be brought in.  

I'm not saying this is a bad thing maybe he is getting rid of all traces of that underachieving squad. But for me, I think they could be used more than they are now. So it doesn't matter if walker provides 20 goals and 20 assists, he will be below Gino, GMS and Woodburn and will not see his contract renewed. 

Again, not trying to have a go at Neilson as tough decisions need to be made to get a turnaround like we've had. Just what I see happening.

Spot on.

Can't argue with any of that.

If Boyce is out of the game on Wed, I'd have Woodburn up top, think he is the best striker of the ball we have at the club at the moment. He has been inches away or been denied by a great save on a number occasions with shots from around the edge of the box.  

Would have a front three of Mckay-Woodburn-Ginelly and would otherwise stick to the same team as Saturday. Would stick Walker on the bench as well, he has a knack of scoring as a substitute.

1-2 Hearts

We've addressed the Paisley bogie already this season.  Let's do this one now

No idea what kind of a threat St j will pose.  1-0 will do me.

31 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Don't matter a hill of beans. Think Alex Rennie still turning out for them...

maroonlegions
6 hours ago, Zaba said:

2-0 defeat.

Some are still pissing themselves  from Hibs getting beat 1-0 fae the Sheep..

Tears and snotters eh..

maroonlegions
29 minutes ago, Barack said:

First loss of the season.

Struggling to see us taking more than two points out of the next 6, tbqh.

:rofl::trippin:

Diadora Van Basten

Walker is either a 8 out of 10 performance or a 4 out of 10 performance never in between. I would stick with Gnando and wouldn’t be surprised if he got stick afterwards about his performance but still managed to score.

It’s crazy to write him off when we gave guys like Nade, Elliott and Stockton loads of chances despite them hardly scoring 5 goals between them.

Edited by Diadora Van Basten

Hearts having around3,500 supporters for a Wednesday night game should have the players jumping out of their skins to produce a winning performance.

3 hours ago, gnasher75 said:

Gordon 

Moore Souttar Kingsley

Ginnelly Halkett McKay

Using Halkett like Kevin McKenna .

Sub4TiddlerMurray
2 hours ago, sirwalter said:

So, Tiddler, it's you and the St Johnstone bean counters in a race to the moral bottom. What would your old team-mate Tommy say to this flagrant disregard for the ten commandments?

He would say a prayer for those thieving bean counters 😉

27 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Using Halkett like Kevin McKenna .

There was a discussion about that a while back. Apparently CH started out as a striker. 

1 minute ago, 1953 said:

We're going to win up there some time so if we can put our chances away it should be Wednesday. 3-2 to us.

There’s a lot of folk on this thread saying St Johnstone won’t be pushovers. Not really sure what this is based on. They’ve got 9 points from 10 games and have been mostly poor so far. Would be just like the thing for them to find some form just as we come to town but I think we’ll edge it. 

Also there are hardly any players left from the last time we played them so our record means little. I’m guessing Smith, Halkett and maybe Boyce are left from our last match there. 

Barry Anderson received a reply

oFJrgZW1_x96.jpg

Was told this afternoon Boyce is 50/50 for Wednesday. Calf muscles are delicate at the best of times and if one goes you're out for weeks so not sure Hearts will risk a longer absence. Will have more on it in the paper tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, mickycameron98 said:

Let's just get the win and complete the 1st round of fixtures unbeaten. 

23 points from the first round of fixtures would be an excellent start to our return to the top flight.