****Official Hearts v Hibs Match Thread****

Wee Mikey

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Curled it into the top corner? If it’s the one in my head that was some finish so near the end of the game. 

Yeah from the edge of the box, left foot. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• Hearts007

• Bazzas right boot

• CloustonHMFC

2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

I agree.  Obviously this will be tinged with bias, but at the very least some I choose the maroon, are debatable.  I also admit to not having seen too much of them and googling their last starting XI!

Curve here is differing formations so I'll compare as like for like as poss.

Gordon > Macey - not even close

Smith = McGinn - but only cos Smudge is playing RWB - I'd have Smith as RB in a 4 over McGinn

Souttar >>>>> Porteous - like >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> x 1000000000

Halkett = McGregor - not much in it probably

Kingsley = Doig - tempted to say Kingsley better, but it depends what you want.  3 at the back for us make this tricky, but Kingsley better defender by a distance

Haring > Gogic - not even close

Beni > Doyle-Hayes - have to admit, not seen DH, but no way he's better than Beni.  No one is!

Woodburn = Doyle - thing is Woodburn is going to achieve more in his career (is a better player) than Doyle, but we can't argue with Doyle's effectiveness for Hibs.  You could say Doyle is better simply due to his record and it'd be hard to argue, but then the counter is would he get on Liverpool's bench!!

Gino > Murphy - I actually quite like Murphy, but Gino is going to terrorise Doig.  Soapy and Smith will handle Murphy fine

Boyce = Nisbet - bit like Woodburn/Doyle here.  Boyce I think is a better player, but Nisbet is a danger.  Not much in it.

Only 10 players listed there as the next comparison would be Magennis and Cochrane, which doesn't really work.  Magennis a decent player, though and one we have to restrict on space (Beni custom built for this)

No science there, but I think we have probably 4 players who are quite indisputably better than their opposite number.  The others are much of a muchness, depends what you're looking for.  Hibs may end up with 2 better in their position than our choice if you were pushed but it isn't as clear as the ones we have who are better.

We also have a strong bench.  Gnando, GMS, McEneff, Moore, McKay or Walker.  Not sure they have that depth (Scott Allan is a good player and can make something happen and they have the new lad Scott who seems rated, but beyond that very little).

The big caveat here is HOW the teams play.  We go out knowing we're better, playing like we know it and get tore in, we win.  We don't do that, we give them a chance.  Simple as that for me.

Final point, it'll be posturing, but if Doyle is out, they're in trouble.  If we were missing, say Ginnelly or even Boyce, I think we'd be in a position to absorb it.  Only Soapy or Gordon would worry me being out.  Maybe Beni but even then, we have CM cover - even Halliday for a game like this.

A pretty good assessment there, which makes me feel even more confident than I already was.😃

It should’ve been 12!

Does anyone know any pre match boozers that will be open sharp? I know the tynie arms opens at 11am and the shandon at 9am, any other options? 👍🍻

C’mon the Gorgie, let’s do them and keep the momentum going! 💪🇱🇻

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Section Q said:

Just in case no one else has posted this.

The two kids. 

😂😂😂😂

Get used to that expression at a derby. 🤣

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, TheBigO said:

I agree.  Obviously this will be tinged with bias, but at the very least some I choose the maroon, are debatable.  I also admit to not having seen too much of them and googling their last starting XI!

Curve here is differing formations so I'll compare as like for like as poss.

Gordon > Macey - not even close

Smith = McGinn - but only cos Smudge is playing RWB - I'd have Smith as RB in a 4 over McGinn

Souttar >>>>> Porteous - like >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> x 1000000000

Halkett = McGregor - not much in it probably

Kingsley = Doig - tempted to say Kingsley better, but it depends what you want.  3 at the back for us make this tricky, but Kingsley better defender by a distance

Haring > Gogic - not even close

Beni > Doyle-Hayes - have to admit, not seen DH, but no way he's better than Beni.  No one is!

Woodburn = Doyle - thing is Woodburn is going to achieve more in his career (is a better player) than Doyle, but we can't argue with Doyle's effectiveness for Hibs.  You could say Doyle is better simply due to his record and it'd be hard to argue, but then the counter is would he get on Liverpool's bench!!

Gino > Murphy - I actually quite like Murphy, but Gino is going to terrorise Doig.  Soapy and Smith will handle Murphy fine

Boyce = Nisbet - bit like Woodburn/Doyle here.  Boyce I think is a better player, but Nisbet is a danger.  Not much in it.

Only 10 players listed there as the next comparison would be Magennis and Cochrane, which doesn't really work.  Magennis a decent player, though and one we have to restrict on space (Beni custom built for this)

No science there, but I think we have probably 4 players who are quite indisputably better than their opposite number.  The others are much of a muchness, depends what you're looking for.  Hibs may end up with 2 better in their position than our choice if you were pushed but it isn't as clear as the ones we have who are better.

We also have a strong bench.  Gnando, GMS, McEneff, Moore, McKay or Walker.  Not sure they have that depth (Scott Allan is a good player and can make something happen and they have the new lad Scott who seems rated, but beyond that very little).

The big caveat here is HOW the teams play.  We go out knowing we're better, playing like we know it and get tore in, we win.  We don't do that, we give them a chance.  Simple as that for me.

Final point, it'll be posturing, but if Doyle is out, they're in trouble.  If we were missing, say Ginnelly or even Boyce, I think we'd be in a position to absorb it.  Only Soapy or Gordon would worry me being out.  Maybe Beni but even then, we have CM cover - even Halliday for a game like this.

Decent and I agree with it. 

I'd also add that hibs players have generally been together for 1 year +. 

We've been put together quite recently 

I'd  also say Boyle is also good for them, did you miss him because he's injured? 

36 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Decent and I agree with it. 

I'd also add that hibs players have generally been together for 1 year +. 

We've been put together quite recently 

I'd  also say Boyle is also good for them, did you miss him because he's injured? 

Nope, I called him Doyle by mistake!! Haha

Bazzas right boot
40 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Nope, I called him Doyle by mistake!! Haha

Ffs, I thought they had signed a Doyle. 

🤣🤣

As the new Hearts owner I'm feeling a burden of responsibility for this one.  If we lose 13-0 for example, people will turn round and blame me.

Not going to happen though.  Sadly for hibs, this is too big an occasion for them and they are doomed to failure.

Real big interest in the line-up for this one.  Can't wait.

Does no one think devlin could start on Sunday alongside Beni? Granted it’s a huge stage for first game, but Haring seems to be a bit off it this season and Halliday’s hardly a shoe in for central midfield

Just now, maroon said:

Does no one think devlin could start on Sunday alongside Beni? Granted it’s a huge stage for first game, but Haring seems to be a bit off it this season and Halliday’s hardly a shoe in for central midfield

Finishing aside, I though Haring was excellent against Dundee United. 

We'll probably cancel each other out a fair bit and it will be a game with very few clear cut opportunities. 

I suspect our XI will be something along the lines of, 

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Moore

M. Smith                           Cochrane 

Baningime Haring

Woodburn                             GMS 

Boyce

Personally I wouldn't chuck the new guys in for this game, Moore, Devlin, Woodburn and McKay should all play a big part in the first team but for now Halkett, Haring, Mackay-Steven and Ginnelly don't deserve to be dropped imo

6 minutes ago, maroon said:

I would like to see that but it is a bit more aggressive than I think Robbie will be. It has been a while since Devlin has played so that could come into too. It is a weird one, on one hand it's a completely new experience for the lad and if he did start he might take it in his stride but equally with the atmosphere and pressure he could also just panic and not perform. If we could be guaranteed a performance similar to Beni's against Celtic then I would be all for it however I feel Robbie might be more cautious, at least to begin with.

Edited by dougal

7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Fair enough, does always seem to do well in derbies 

9 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

We'll probably cancel each other out a fair bit and it will be a game with very few clear cut opportunities. 

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Moore

Baningime Haring

Boyce

If not exact that’ll be very close. Haven’t heard anything about Kingsley’s recovery. He may start If considered fully fit. 

Edited by GinRummy

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Moore

Baningime Haring

Boyce

I like this team, although have no clue about Moore. If Boyle is playing Cochrane, Moore and GMS become key players.

Only issue I have with the central mid two is there don't seem to be goals in them. McEneff and Halliday both provide a bit more goal threat. But we do have good firepower up ahead of them and off the bench with that line-up, and maybe Beni and Haring are just due a goal. Haring provided goals before his injury.

14 minutes ago, maroon said:

Im hoping he does based on everything we have heard about him

2 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

As the new Hearts owner I'm feeling a burden of responsibility for this one.  If we lose 13-0 for example, people will turn round and blame me.

Not going to happen though.  Sadly for hibs, this is too big an occasion for them and they are doomed to failure.

Real big interest in the line-up for this one.  Can't wait.

We’ve put 10 past them, a couple of 8’s, some 7’s, a few 6’s, loads of 5’s & 4’s, etc, but unless I’m mistaken we’ve not hit them for 9. (Yet)😉

Halliday will start. Why wouldn’t he ? He’s played well this season and loves the big games. I don’t see Devlin starting this one but Woody may well do so. 
I think Beni is a definite starter so can see Haring on the bench and ideal to bring on. 

Edited by 1971fozzy

Guest ToqueJambo
7 minutes ago, Gary Locke said:

I think it will be the same starting team as dundee united with mckay devlin moore etc on the bench

Makes sense. We were very dominant. Like D Utd Hibs only really have a couple of players to worry about.

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

he was.  His finishing was abysmal but his all round of play was top class. 

start with beni / Haring.. bring the young man on with half an hour to go

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Moore

Baningime Haring

Boyce

Ginelly before GMS for me 

1 hour ago, BigAlim said:

Personally I wouldn't chuck the new guys in for this game, Moore, Devlin, Woodburn and McKay should all play a big part in the first team but for now Halkett, Haring, Mackay-Steven and Ginnelly don't deserve to be dropped imo

If they are better players(?) or they're performing better in training then they absolutely should play. Woodburn was thrown straight in against Dundee Utd so i'd imagine he'll start. I understand experience of these big games can be important but i'd like our best XI to start the match, whatever that is I don't know :lol: so many options all off a sudden.

20 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I like the idea of Gino cutting in off the right and smashing one right into the top corner.

17 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

I like the idea of Gino cutting in off the right and smashing one right into the top corner.

Gino v Lewis Stevenson - yes please 

6 hours ago, billyG said:

Never seen a boring Derby game..........but then that's just my overexcitable self 😎

Completely agree, billy.

There's nothing boring about the anticipation, terror, anxiety, hope and your heart racing at about 100 bpm...

...then the derby kicks off.

😊

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

If not exact that’ll be very close. Haven’t heard anything about Kingsley’s recovery. He may start If considered fully fit. 

That's the reason why I think Kingsley will sit this one out but if he's fit, I think he'd be in ahead of Moore. 

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

I like this team, although have no clue about Moore. If Boyle is playing Cochrane, Moore and GMS become key players.

Only issue I have with the central mid two is there don't seem to be goals in them. McEneff and Halliday both provide a bit more goal threat. But we do have good firepower up ahead of them and off the bench with that line-up, and maybe Beni and Haring are just due a goal. Haring provided goals before his injury.

In our system, the Centerhalfs defend and build attacks, wing backs provide the width, midfield is there to support the forwards in possession, shield the defence against counters and win the ball, forwards create and score. As soon as we put an attacking mid like McEneff in a 2 man midfield, we lose that balance and we'll find ourselves vulnerable to a counter imo. 

53 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I don't think he'll drop Gary, he wins us games mate. Aye, Gino is rapid and a visible treat but GMS is clever. Maybe Gino ahead of Woodburn though. 

Guest ToqueJambo

Moore would be the obvious one if Smith's injury is bad. Has played right back before. Or Gino. Levein played Mulraney at WB once or twice and he did very well as I remember.

3 minutes ago, andydog said:

Moore could possibly fill in for Smith. If not it’s either a LB or a winger filling in. 

Moore can play right back as well as centre back so that might be the answer.

Know Taylor Moore can play right back , not so sure is he's comfortable as a right wing back , probably the obvious choice and could be a find , would imagine that's the way Robbie will go. 

Anyone know if Boyle is definitely out for the Vermin ?

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Know Taylor Moore can play right back , not so sure is he's comfortable as a right wing back , probably the obvious choice and could be a find , would imagine that's the way Robbie will go. 

Anyone know if Boyle is definitely out for the Vermin ?

Hope so. Boyle is much more important to them than Smith is to us. It would be like us losing Boyce, Beni or Souttar.

HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME

McEneff, can play RB as can Moore. 
However asking Moore to play RWB in a derby on his debut is a big ask. Would personally go with Gino or Mceneff as RWB.

Just now, HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME said:

However asking Moore to play RWB in a derby on his debut is a big ask. Would personally go with Gino or Mceneff as RWB.

Gino at right wingback ?  Jesus **** , no ! An  acident waiting to happen in our box 

HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME
Just now, ramrod said:

Gino at right wingback ?  Jesus **** , no ! An  acident waiting to happen in our box 

don’t think so personally Mulraney, at LWB looked decent. Gino has the legs Celtic cup game perfect example. I’d go Gino RWB Kingsley LWB attack and press them in the wide areas

If smith is out id go moore if he’s capable if not Ginelly with woodburn infront would be brilliant going forward not sure defensively though 😬

If Smith is out I'd go for McEneff. Far from ideal but he's played there before, has a good engine and will be dying to make an impact. Much better than sticking a CH or left back there. 

I have a feeling Smith will be fine anyway.

Might be a blessing in disguise. It would allow us to play any 3 out of Gino, Woodburn, GMS and McKay. We wouldn’t be as defensively sound but **** it no guts no glory!

2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Moore

Baningime Haring

Boyce

agreed if Kingsley isnt back

- gino on for woody, Mackay or walker on for gms after an hour. Devlin for last 15

9 minutes ago, HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME said:

If you play Moore as a Cb and mceneff as a rwb it gives you the flexibility of changing to a back 4 if the tactics need changed and adding an extra number in the centre of the park.