SNP and Greens coalition.

ri Alban

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Space Mackerel said:

No idea. But I tried to keep up with him one day but he was 4 pints ahead after an hour!

Crikey. 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jonesy

• jack D and coke

• Smithee

• JudyJudyJudy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JudyJudyJudy
19 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

In hindsight I wish I'd had went with the BBC report, in fact I should probably have done what I normally do on political threads, and said nothing and leave it for somebody else to post reports. 

No keep posting and from whatever source . If you don’t the critics will have won . I actually feel the same at times , wonder whether to post articles  or not as I know I’ll get the usual pelters from  some  Depends if I’m in the mood to take it 

jack D and coke
50 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

This is what happens when you put meddling do-gooders in charge 

I won’t ever see you mentioning drug deaths or drink deaths then in future? You believe the govt should just let them drink themselves to death and do nothing like Jonesy suggests? 
I was neither in favour nor against the minimum pricing but I understood what they were trying to do. I’d imagine it takes a lot of resources to properly tackle it and the money isn’t there so a blunt approach was tried. 
It’s failed so it’s gave a lot of people a stick to beat with again so I guess they can scrap it and folk can get back to getting wasted on £3 bottles of cider again. 
Eveyrbodys happy☺️

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

No keep posting and from whatever source . If you don’t the critics will have won . I actually feel the same at times , wonder whether to post articles  or not as I know I’ll get the usual pelters from  some  Depends if I’m in the mood to take it 

Tbf the other sources mentioned weren’t much better :lol: 

@JamboJimboi wasn’t having a go at you. I’m aware you don’t get involved in politcking pal. Those papers don’t ever say anything positive about Scotland for me and poison minds in Britain as a whole. 

Dirk McClaymore
7 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

No idea. But I tried to keep up with him one day but he was 4 pints ahead after an hour!

Ye gads! :o

6 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Crikey. 

30 pints is a liquid lunch for you, no?

Taffin
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I won’t ever see you mentioning drug deaths or drink deaths then in future? You believe the govt should just let them drink themselves to death and do nothing like Jonesy suggests? 
I was neither in favour nor against the minimum pricing but I understood what they were trying to do. I’d imagine it takes a lot of resources to properly tackle it and the money isn’t there so a blunt approach was tried. 
It’s failed so it’s gave a lot of people a stick to beat with again so I guess they can scrap it and folk can get back to getting wasted on £3 bottles of cider again. 
Eveyrbodys happy☺️

I don't think Jonesy was saying do nothing. Just either do something radical or don't do anything. The light touch tinkering doesn't really work as people need to want to change. Same with the sugar tax. You've got to get people to want consume less of something, not to save money. I drink coke zero to save the calories, not to save 20p or whatever.

The UK is a lazy, unhealthy country who eat and drink ourselves into early graves. Can the government do something about that? Absolutely, but minimum pricing and taxes isn't it imo. 

Edited by Taffin

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Ye gads! :o

30 pints is a liquid lunch for you, no?

I would need an ambulance on standby. 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

I don't think Jonesy was saying do nothing. Just either do something radical or don't do anything. The light touch tinkering doesn't really work as people need to want to change. Same with the sugar tax. You've got to get people to want consume less of something, not to save money. I drink coke zero to save the calories, not to save 20p or whatever.

The UK is a lazy, unhealthy country who eat and drink ourselves into early graves. Can the government do something about that? Absolutely, but minimum pricing and taxes isn't it imo. 

Well unless we’re prepared to really throw millions and millions at it nothing will change and we’ll have people dying young and all the chronic health problems boozing like that brings. I always understood it to be about stopping the young teams getting sparkled on cheap 2 litre bottles of cider that were about £3 and causing mayhem where they live. Alcohol causes no end of grief and misery in certain places, especially cheap stuff. 

Lord Montpelier
9 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Eveyrbodys happy☺️

If they had done nothing the situation would not have been any worse by the looks of it . Scotland needs to adopt a better attitude to alcohol, a bit more like continental drinking. It won't though

Space Mackerel
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Well unless we’re prepared to really throw millions and millions at it nothing will change and we’ll have people dying young and all the chronic health problems boozing like that brings. I always understood it to be about stopping the young teams getting sparkled on cheap 2 litre bottles of cider that were about £3 and causing mayhem where they live. Alcohol causes no end of grief and misery in certain places, especially cheap stuff. 

You are right, it was to bring the cheap grog inline with normal booze.

Brexit has added roughly £1.50 on to a bottle of wine from Europe. Never heard anyone moaning about that.

https://twitter.com/DanielLambert29/status/1532991072158220288?s=20&t=CHN56UsWTnsBL1OYc-Y2-Q

Edited by Space Mackerel

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

If they had done nothing the situation would not have been any worse by the looks of it . Scotland needs to adopt a better attitude to alcohol, a bit more like continental drinking. It won't though

You’re not going to get any disagreement from me there. Our relationship with booze is awful. I binge drink myself at weekends pretty regularly. 
How do you change it though is the question. 

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

You are right, it was to bring the cheap grog inline with normal booze.

Brexit has added roughly £1.50 on to a bottle of wine from Europe. Never heard anyone moaning about that.

https://twitter.com/DanielLambert29/status/1532991072158220288?s=20&t=CHN56UsWTnsBL1OYc-Y2-Q

Daily express might give a column to Jacob Rees Nonce to tell you the benefits of that £1.50. 

Smithee
41 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

In hindsight I wish I'd had went with the BBC report, in fact I should probably have done what I normally do on political threads, and said nothing and leave it for somebody else to post reports. 

Fair enough, being a bit sensitive if you ask me though.

I don't see how something that preceded a drop in alcohol consumption and a drop in alcohol related deaths can be bad. Yes, more needs to be done to help those who fall through the cracks, but if it's bringing down consumption and deaths it's surely good, with more needing to be done?

The thing is that no matter what happens there are some who will drink themselves to death, who can't be helped. But we can't shape policy round those guys, they need different help.

Taffin
20 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I'm sure that will certainly have been part of it, and may well have worked for that demographic (?, I don't know the answer to that). 

The first part probably is where you get to what Jonesy was saying. If people want to drink themselves to death, then as long as all the information about the risks is available for people to digest there comes a point when maybe we have to just let them.

Lord Montpelier
15 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

You’re not going to get any disagreement from me there. Our relationship with booze is awful. I binge drink myself at weekends pretty regularly. 

A very deep question. Do we drink to enjoy ourselves more ? To show off ? To forget about our worries? Because there is nothing else to do? To be more sociable? Peer pressure ?

Certainly a difficult question to address. 

Dirk McClaymore
2 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

A very deep question. Do we drink to enjoy ourselves more ? To show off ? To forget about our worries? Because there is nothing else to do? To be more sociable? Peer pressure ?

All of the above, imo.

The Mighty Thor
3 hours ago, jonesy said:

You seem obsessed with the (gutter) press, mate. 

He has a great point about the press.

If you want to see just how much they're mugging off the hard of thinking then look no further than the front pages of today's Sun/Mail/Express English versions versus the Sun/Mail/Express 'Scottish' versions.

Risible stuff. 

John Findlay
42 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Eveyrbodys happy☺️

Especially them getting wasted.

JudyJudyJudy
29 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

it certainly does.  In every aspect of life. 

23 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Not sure how it can be changed. Less stigma maybe about cafes and cafe culture ?  Later opening for cafes ?  Places where you dont need to drink ?  Filling your free time with more constructive things like exercising, cinema, theatre, etc.  I still cant really understand the need for people to get pissed before a football match.  I have only been pissed once before going to a match.  It was Hearts v Celtic and it was awful experience. Thought i was gonna go flying down the stair at one point as I was that pissed.  Never again. Plus you cant even remember the match. 

5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'm sure that will certainly have been part of it, and may well have worked for that demographic (?, I don't know the answer to that). 

The first part probably is where you get to what Jonesy was saying. If people want to drink themselves to death, then as long as all the information about the risks is available for people to digest there comes a point when maybe we have to just let them.

I think the demograph they were trying to target was already passed the help stage. It also doesnt help giving them various benefits like PIP which is a lot of money if awarded the higher rate as they piss it up against a wall . 

4 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Certainly a difficult question to address. 

I drink to relax if i am out with friends. It eases the night. I like a pub atmosphere . I like the ambiance and the unpredictability of what might happen that night ( within reason).  I rarely drink alcohol if going to the cinema or theatre . I dont like things which dull your senses and enjoying of an event. There is an element of peer pressure to it too. Got a friend whom i regularly have a face time chat with * started during covid. She lives in Glasgow.  But she can tank the drink down. Before any agreed chat she always asks me if I am drinking?  Why ? Does it matter?  Unfortunately for heavy drinkers it does. its a form of validation. I am just the same person with a drink or without. I dont need alcohol to give me a personality. Some sadly do. 

jack D and coke

@JamesM48i won’t quote all that but in a lot areas there’s not much else to do. Certainly isn’t cinemas, theatres gyms and cafes in the poorer places. 
In short and how to fix it, god knows. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

@JamesM48i won’t quote all that but in a lot areas there’s not much else to do. Certainly isn’t cinemas, theatres gyms and cafes in the poorer places. 
In short and how to fix it, god knows. 

I know that's true. Im at a loss then in how to fix it as well.  Only can give some suggestions.  Its the rites of passage thing for us all.. The first drink etc. 

46 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

That's what I was saying earlier though Jack,  Gen Zs generally speaking have an entirely different approach to alcohol consumption. 

I'm not sure if there is anything to be done with the older Millennials, Gen Xs and older.........

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, pablo said:

That's what I was saying earlier though Jack,  Gen Zs generally speaking have an entirely different approach to alcohol consumption. 

I'm not sure if there is anything to be done with the older Millennials, Gen Xs and older.........

I hope so. Crazy to think we’ve been destroying ourselves for a century or more with this Scottish hard drinking man image. 

John Findlay
53 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

That is entirely upto you. Only you can change your drinking habits, no one else only yourself. I call it personal responsibility, sounds like you need to get some, and you are the only person who can give yourself some.

jack D and coke
Just now, John Findlay said:

That is entirely upto you. Only you can change your drinking habits, no one else only yourself. I call it personal responsibility, sounds like you need to get some, and you are the only person who can give yourself some.

Absolutely. It’s totally bedded in though it’s weekends and all my mates are the same. They’ve built bars in their gardens too and have bloody beer machines it’s almost impossible to stop😂 I won’t lie and say I don’t enjoy a beer😋

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

I hope so. Crazy to think we’ve been destroying ourselves for a century or more with this Scottish hard drinking man image. 

I'll admit to not fully understanding the reasoning behind it. But there's probably something to do with body shaming, reputations being destroyed on social media if you're filmed falling out a taxi or club, their lives being lived digitally rather than experiential, just as much as living with a healthier attitude overall.

Don't think it's plain sailing being a kid nowadays either. 

Even I'm not going to blame the SNP for any of that! 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Absolutely. It’s totally bedded in though it’s weekends and all my mates are the same. They’ve built bars in their gardens too and have bloody beer machines it’s almost impossible to stop😂 I won’t lie and say I don’t enjoy a beer😋

One think that has stopped me drinking as much is the hangovers.  The next day is wasted really so I only ever go for a drink if I have nothing planned for the next day as such. Its a motivator for me not too drink and i also think of the health impact of drinking , weight gain, can be linked to cancers, liver diseases , kidney issues et al. Maybe try one weekend with the booze ?  Make other plans ? Just give your drinking mates the cold shoulder that weekend.  ?  Its the only way to stop an addiction which is harmful really  Heavy drinkers like the company of other heavy drinkers. But as John said its a matter of will power .  

The Mighty Thor
13 minutes ago, pablo said:

I'll admit to not fully understanding the reasoning behind it. But there's probably something to do with body shaming, reputations being destroyed on social media if you're filmed falling out a taxi or club, their lives being lived digitally rather than experiential, just as much as living with a healthier attitude overall.

A culture which spreads to our sportsmen, including the employees of HMFC. 

Go up George Street of a weekend and you'll see paid elite athletes falling about stotious. 

It's the bantz man.

2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

A culture which spreads to our sportsmen, including the employees of HMFC. 

Go up George Street of a weekend and you'll see paid elite athletes falling about stotious. 

It's the bantz man.

Totally. But there's evidence showing that "generally speaking" Gen Zs are behaving differently and driving the shrinking of the alcohol market overall. 

I hear you though. 

jack D and coke
28 minutes ago, pablo said:

:lol: 

jack D and coke
27 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

One think that has stopped me drinking as much is the hangovers.  The next day is wasted really so I only ever go for a drink if I have nothing planned for the next day as such. Its a motivator for me not too drink and i also think of the health impact of drinking , weight gain, can be linked to cancers, liver diseases , kidney issues et al. Maybe try one weekend with the booze ?  Make other plans ? Just give your drinking mates the cold shoulder that weekend.  ?  Its the only way to stop an addiction which is harmful really  Heavy drinkers like the company of other heavy drinkers. But as John said its a matter of will power .  

You been speaking to my ma? 😂

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Fair enough, being a bit sensitive if you ask me though.

I don't see how something that preceded a drop in alcohol consumption and a drop in alcohol related deaths can be bad. Yes, more needs to be done to help those who fall through the cracks, but if it's bringing down consumption and deaths it's surely good, with more needing to be done?

The thing is that no matter what happens there are some who will drink themselves to death, who can't be helped. But we can't shape policy round those guys, they need different help.

You're probably right there.

JudyJudyJudy
Posted (edited)

😁😁

15 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Plot twist....." I am your mother " ! 

R (1).gif

Edited by JamesM48

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

😁😁

Plot twist....." I am your mother " ! 

R (1).gif

All the advice the day pal😂

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, jack D and coke said:

All the advice the day pal😂

its all something to ponder. Its up to you to make any choices you feel you WANT to make. 

jack D and coke
14 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

its all something to ponder. Its up to you to make any choices you feel you WANT to make. 

I need a burd. Been a few years since had a proper relationship. Tend to go off the rails a wee bit when nobody to get on my case lol. All this talk of drink made me thirsty anyway🤪😂

Jamstomorrow
2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Eveyrbodys happy☺️

I  am led to believe that there has been £20million set aside for independence.   Perhaps that sum would be better spent fighting alcoholism and saving lives?

John Findlay
53 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Well he's definitely not been pumping her🤣

JudyJudyJudy
18 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I need a burd. Been a few years since had a proper relationship. Tend to go off the rails a wee bit when nobody to get on my case lol. All this talk of drink made me thirsty anyway🤪😂

As long as she’s not a drinker ! Apparently a good woman can tame a wild man !😂

Lord Montpelier
19 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Go get yourself a beer you deserve it 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

😂😂

13EACB02-2494-49B2-9CA7-0BC45E43F565.gif

jack D and coke
10 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Image planted😕

8 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Go get yourself a beer you deserve it 

Fecking right I am😋

Space Mackerel
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Its a WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASP!!!!!!!!!!!

jack D and coke
6 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Its a WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASP!!!!!!!!!!!

🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Well well well. After all the we don't need permission it looks like the Scottish governments own legal advice states the necessary transfer of power via a section 30 order. Seems Fuhrer Sturgeon has been leading folk on again about 2023.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-61725567

Where does it state that?

Although you may conclude that given the secrecy and the contempt shown to "freedom of information" that the current SG seem increasingly to have a real problem with.

Lost papers unable to recall an awful lot unpublished or censored reports are all too common .

Dirk McClaymore
13 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Fecking right I am😋

I took inspiration from your post and had a few myself.

JudyJudyJudy

A very tetchy and defensive NS and That’s her brunch interviewed by a pro Indy journalist ! 

Lord Montpelier
17 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

A very tetchy and defensive NS and That’s her brunch interviewed by a pro Indy journalist ! 

The journalist should know she's not supposed to ask questions. 10 years hard graft in the gulag for her.   

Ainsley Harriott
21 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Anyone who actually believes a legally binding indy Ref 2 will take place next year needs sectioned