Gnanduillet

rudi must stay

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, BigAlim said:

Osman Sow has a good striker in a Hearts shirt and i'm sure the stats will reflect that. Gnando doesn't have the pace, dribbling or shooting ability that Sow had. He reminds me more of John Sutton in that i'm sure he can finish when the ball comes to him in the box but he's not got anything else going for him

Might’ve been a decent back up to have this season for a year. 

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BackOfTheNet

• GinRummy

• pointon

• jr ewing

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know what to make of him, I genuinely don't think i would lose much sleep if he left tbh, we can do better imo, let's hope the recruitment team and JS rectify that in January.

23 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Lots of people on social media complaining about him as well. He's definitely lost the support of the fans.

Only one way to sort that. 

Even if he was capable I think his attitude does him no favours. 

He had a great chance to show the fans what he could do yesterday and didn't seem interested. 

8 hours ago, davemclaren said:

If you look at the Blackpool forum they seemed to like him but they were also frustrated by him. 

Had a wee look and your absolutely right. Can definitely see that frustration with some of them. 
Still can’t make my mind up about whether he can, or will, cut it with us in all honesty.

will-i-am-a-jambo
6 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

I don't know what to make of him, I genuinely don't think i would lose much sleep if he left tbh, we can do better imo, let's hope the recruitment team and JS rectify that in January.

In some ways l agree with you. On the TV he's seemed fine but I saw him live for the first time yesterday and thought he looked uninterested and played completely gash. 

With a day past to reflect on it I'd say that despite having gone up against teams sitting in against us last season, Dundee have some very big defenders and they packed them all into the box at a level we hadn't seen. As a solo striker he had someone almost his size leaning on him at all times in the box.

As much as we expect big strikers to be able to shrug off that contact I don't think it suits his game. Despite his size, he's much more of a technically adept player who, like Boyce, thrives by finding space to work in. On Saturday, there wasn't any space to be had because of a mosh pit of big defenders in front of the goal.

We need tactics that can break through that logjam, and I think we missed a trick by not playing Gnando and Boyce together from the start.

Edited by Led Tasso
Edited for clarity

I was disappointed by Gnando on Saturday. 

Had hoped with half an hour to showcase, he might take the opportunity. 

seemed a yard off the pace and struggled to shield the ball adequately. Epitomised by showing for the ball with about 15 minutes to go. Was on the half turn, points to the outside channel, “through ball there”. Team mate delivers exactly that ball. Gnando doesn’t beat the defender to the ball then seems unclear on his next step. He then matches the defender stride for stride for a few paces and is dispossessed. For me, he had three options. 1) attack the through ball at pace, steal half a yard, knock into the channel with first touch, attempt to beat defender with pace, 2) invite contact, out muscle defender, draw in a team mate, 3) invite contact, bump the defender and then burst forward. He did none of these things. It was particularly frustrating as it was the third attempt at exactly the same play in the space of five minutes. 

That being said, thought he was unlucky with the header he was penalised with. If the defender was not so sharp, that was giving the keeper a problem. 

Gnando was simply not good enough on Saturday.  Poor first touch, failure to attack several crosses in to the box, generally off the pace.  He has been effective as a sub in previous games so I don't want to diss him completely but Saturday shows A. We rely on Boyce  B. we need to target a striker in Jan window if possible

Edited by TexasAndy

11 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

With a day past to reflect on it I'd say that despite having gone up against teams sitting in against us last season, Dundee have some very big defenders and they packed them all into the box at a level we hadn't seen. As a solo striker he had someone almost his size leaning on him at all times in the box.

As much as we expect big strikers to be able to shrug off that contact I don't think it suits his game. Despite his size, he's much more of a technically adept player who, like Boyce, thrives by finding space to work in. On Saturday, there wasn't any space to be had because of a mosh pit of big defenders in front of the goal.

We need tactics that can break through that logjam, and I think we missed a trick by not playing Gnando and Boyce together from the start.

Some good points here. I actually commented at the time the CB marking him at set pieces was actually taller than him. Which is unusual. Sometimes his large presence can open space for others but as you say they sat in and were more than a match physically. (Not sure if Boyce was injured as a result of some roughing up?)

6 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

Gnando was simply not good enough on Saturday.  Poor first touch, failure to attack several crosses in to the box, generally off the pace.  He has been effective as a sub in previous games so I don't want to diss him completely but Saturday shows A. We rely on Boyce  B. we need to target a striker in Jan window if possible

Pretty much says it all. We might as well keep hoping - sometimes big strikers take a while to find their feet and then hit a sustained purple patch. Recent examples have been seen at Easter Road and Pittodrie.

1 minute ago, Halliphax said:

Reckon he looked much more of a threat today than Boyce

Credit where it’s due, he was very good tonight

Played well tonight 👏👏👏.  I don’t think the 3-4-3 is working.  Yes it provides good width and possession, but there’s very little threat in the middle. 

I’d switch to 3-5-2, with Boyce and Gnando up and McKay or Woodburn behind.  Smith and Cochrane give us enough width, but we need options in the middle. 

3 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

100% effort from the big man tonight!

The least that was required and no complaints in that regard. Night and day from the weekend.

Just needs a goal or two for his confidence i reckon.

Just now, Skivingatwork said:

Striker needed in January.

Problem is…anyone currently starting and scoring will cost money. Anyone not is a gamble.

You're right about that, recruitment team need to be scouring the cheaper leagues around the world to find a wee gem like we did with Cammy Devlin. 

StirlingJambo

Got in better positions that Boyce doesn’t get into. We need a player playing on the shoulder of the last man and I think he does it at times. Needs a goal. Would like to see him and Boyce up top together.

3 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

Played well tonight 👏👏👏.  I don’t think the 3-4-3 is working.  Yes it provides good width and possession, but there’s very little threat in the middle. 

I’d switch to 3-5-2, with Boyce and Gnando up and McKay or Woodburn behind.  Smith and Cochrane give us enough width, but we need options in the middle. 

We are unbeaten it is working but I think 2 up top is definitely required at times. 
We can’t complain at the moment though compared to last few years. 

Dundee game we should have scored 3-4 easily 

7 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

6 points ahead of Hibs……😊

Good to see, but should be so much more.

On topic. Thought Gnando had a decent enough game, but needs to improve his finishing.

A striker in January is an absolute must.

I saw a bit more of him tonight but I am still none the wiser about him. He looks useful at times and poor at others. I feel like a man of his height, who can jump as high as he does, should be a monster to deal with when crosses are coming into the box. We put a fair few crosses into the box tonight and he didn't seem to be winning many of them. The one time he got a free header at goal from close range he muffed the header(it was offside but he still should have put it away). 

Needs to show more. 

Whitecapjambo

Thought he was a handful tonight. We need our wider players to come in to support more. Still think the 3-4-3 would work far better with a more attack minded RWB.

Arthur Morgan
10 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

Absolutely agree. 352 (3412) would work better for us imo. Still good defensively and probably more threatening up top. 

Holds the ball up well but he's a poundland finisher, that header was embarrassing,  harder to hit the goalie.

He'll be off soon enough thankfully, file under another lump of wood and move on .

I thought he was good tonight. Great header from the corner in the first half. Linked the play well, put himself about. Could possibly have done better with the header second half but it wasn't exactly put on a plate for him. 

I've already seen someone on another thread saying he was lazy tonight which shows what he's up against with some supporters. 

If he gets better service he will score goals.

After the shite I have witnessed in Perth over many years I can’t be disappointed with the performance tonight.

Keep playing the football we are just now and some team is going to get a right thumping!

1 minute ago, leith_dude said:

I thought he was good tonight. Great header from the corner in the first half. Linked the play well, put himself about. Could possibly have done better with the header second half but it wasn't exactly put on a plate for him. 

I've already seen someone on another thread saying he was lazy tonight which shows what he's up against with some supporters. 

If he gets better service he will score goals.

He had good service tonight m8 , he's a poor finisher I'm afraid 

Given this was his first start since goodness knows when I thought he was excellent tonight. At some point we need to start with both him and Boyce. 

One thing I will say is by the end of the game it was evident he’s not had a lot of minutes as he was pretty tired. Vast improvement from Saturday, tonight was showing more of what we know he’s capable of. As for the finishing, can’t say he had any clear cut chances, maybe just maybe the one where Devlin played him in but Clark done well to rush out. That would be the only one that Boyce might’ve scored. The others were half chances and the first half header was a brilliant save, a header Boyce wouldn’t have made so swings and roundabouts. Maybe if we had a penalty we would've had the win. As a side note our crossing was woeful all night.

thought he played very well tonight until he tired a bit with about 20 mins to go. Certainly caused them a few problems and helped in the equaliser 

Pasquale for King
59 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

One thing I will say is by the end of the game it was evident he’s not had a lot of minutes as he was pretty tired. Vast improvement from Saturday, tonight was showing more of what we know he’s capable of. As for the finishing, can’t say he had any clear cut chances, maybe just maybe the one where Devlin played him in but Clark done well to rush out. That would be the only one that Boyce might’ve scored. The others were half chances and the first half header was a brilliant save, a header Boyce wouldn’t have made so swings and roundabouts. Maybe if we had a penalty we would've had the win. As a side note our crossing was woeful all night.

He had a good chance with a header that he hit right at the GK in the second half. 

Our crossing has been consistently poor for over a year and absolutely nothing has been done about it. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

Given this was his first start since goodness knows when I thought he was excellent tonight. At some point we need to start with both him and Boyce. 

Ross County, Boyce played that day but wasn’t really up front. Don’t think the manager wants to play with two up front, no matter how much either of our strikers struggle up there on their own. 

Not interested in his style of play or how he performs tbh, he needs to score and that's all I'm going to judge him on. In fairness he's not had any sort of run so it's a puzzle. Does he smash them in during training, I've no idea.

Doesn't look to have the killer instinct we need but a goal/run in the team might change that. He's under pressure, good. 

1 hour ago, No Idle Talk said:

I saw a bit more of him tonight but I am still none the wiser about him. He looks useful at times and poor at others. I feel like a man of his height, who can jump as high as he does, should be a monster to deal with when crosses are coming into the box. We put a fair few crosses into the box tonight and he didn't seem to be winning many of them. The one time he got a free header at goal from close range he muffed the header(it was offside but he still should have put it away). 

Needs to show more. 

Completely my thoughts. He’s a bit of a head scratcher.  

jury still out. Need to see more. To be fair to him he probably needs more game time but he is unlikely to get it ahead of Boyce.