Scottish Clubs in Europe

Footballfirst

On 22/03/2022 at 18:20, jbee647 said:

In 1966 Hearts or Real Zaragoza were drawn against Dunfermline in the quarter finals of the Inter Cities Fairs Cup.

unfortunately Hearts were beaten in a play off by Zaragoza, however match tickets had already been printed .

This is the only instance of Scottish clubs been drawn against each other in major European competitions 

20200819_081451.jpg

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neilnunb

• Mikey1874

• sadj

• Hearts007

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I never got the impression that Richard Foster was a Bluenose, I always thought it was his missus that wore the orange breaks.

Was he no greeting after 90 min.

Edited by Tasavallan

FarmerTweedy
3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

32.5p a ticket. 7/6 a small fortune in 1966.

7/6 would be 37.5p, wouldn't it?   Asking as someone born after decimalisation!

14 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Yup. 1 shilling (1/-) became 5 'New Pence', hence 7 shillings & sixpence would be (7 x 5) + (5 ÷ 2) = 37.5p

Do you remember the ditty?

🎶🎵🎶

"Decimalisation, Decimalise,

Decimalisation, Will Change your life,

Decimalisation, Decimalise,

Decimalisation, Decimal Five.

🎶🎵🎶

Ma heid is fu' o' nonsense. 😆

For our younger readers:-

John Findlay
7 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

You are correct. Typo on my part and not proof reading before posting.

I should have. As I was nearly 8 years old when decimalisation came in on the 15th February 1971.

I paid for school dinners back then which came in at 1/6 a week 7 and a half pence. After decimalisation it was 9 new pence a week. When I gave my mum 1p back from a 2 Bob bit(10p), she thought I was trying to con her. Took alot to convince her I wasn't.

11 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

I never got the impression that Richard Foster was a Bluenose, I always thought it was his missus that wore the orange breaks.

Was he no greeting after 90 min.

His impartiality levels barely register in  domestic games

Footballfirst

That was an unusual decision by VAR to disallow the goal. 

It was not for an accidental handball by the player providing an assist for a goal.  I'm sure that rule was changed at the beginning of the season. (Craigan was talking out his arse as usual).

I think that it was disallowed simply because there was a foul in the lead up to the goal.  The decision being that Barasic's hand was in an unnatural position, so it was a referee's judgement call re a handball. 

Edited by Footballfirst

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

That was an unusual decision by VAR to disallow the goal. 

It was not for an accidental handball by the player providing an assist for a goal.  I'm sure that rule was changed at the beginning of the season. (Craigan was talking out his arse as usual).

I think that it was disallowed simply because there was a foul in the lead up to the goal.  The decision being that Barasic's hand was in an unnatural position, so it was a referee's judgement call re a handball. 

Good point.

Handball is still handball. Touching the hand in lead up to goal is something different. Now only the goalscorer eg Alonso for Chelsea.

2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

It must be the first time that a VAR decision has gone against Rangers this season.

Didn't Braga get a goal chalked off last week for a foul earlier in their move?

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Didn't Braga get a goal chalked off last week for a foul earlier in their move?

That's what I mean and a few others besides.

What a miss!

Edited by Footballfirst

Does anyone know if a team that hasn't finished in the champions league qualifying place in their league wins the Europa League affect our placing?  Sure something similar happened to St Johnstone last year. 

Naisys Tackle

Braga are 90/1 to draw.

All it takes is another pen and sending off.  

25/1 to qualify.

Mental prices.  

I'm going for them both.  Pint money for Saturday. 

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Ari Gold said:

Does anyone know if a team that hasn't finished in the champions league qualifying place in their league wins the Europa League affect our placing?  Sure something similar happened to St Johnstone last year. 

It would certainly stop Scotland's champion entering directly at the group stage. I'm not sure about the EL play-off place though.

jamboinglasgow
Just now, jaywalker said:

If they actually win this competition does this affect Scottish clubs in Europe next year?

Dont think so, I think the Champions league space that would have gone to second place goes to the next country in the co-efficent who would get it. Will help a lot with Scotland's European spots in 2023/24. Also as it stands (and if Rangers dont win the Europa League and finish 2nd) they are seeded in their Champions League qualification rounds.

Naisys Tackle
3 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

For the Europa League, no.  Unless Villareal win the Champions League, Putin says sorry and walks out of Ukraine and Russian sides are reinstated.  

More chance of Maloney being the winning jokey in next years Grand National. 

Naisys Tackle
2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

It would certainly stop Scotland's champion entering directly at the group stage. I'm not sure about the EL play-off place though.

Gooses Celtic, nobody else. 

Here's the questions.

Can Celtic win the league, Villareal win the Champions League - making Celtic play a playoff, meanwhile Rangers win the Europa, right into the Champions League?

That would actually be hilarious. 

Edited by Robbies Tackle

mellors1874

Surprised if Leipzig when they play rangers don't lose their best players to COVID or some weird illness.

Their so lucky it's unreal played some absolute crap teams and Dortmund without their one man band.

Just unreal.

Guest ToqueJambo
9 minutes ago, jaywalker said:

If they actually win this competition does this affect Scottish clubs in Europe next year?

It should be good for Scottish football - reputation wise at least - for one of our country's teams to even just get to the final. But we all know Rangers fans are going to absolutely disgrace themselves and the country again if they make it that far. Same with Celtic, whether it's their songbook or their fans outside the stadium. Total embarrassment every time they travel.

Can't see any good at all coming from either of the OF reaching a European final from a Hearts or Scottish football perspective.

Edited by ToqueJambo

If Rangers won this competition and Celtic had to qualify for the Champions League and got gubbed , I honestly think it would be the funniest thing ever.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, jaywalker said:

If Rangers won this competition and Celtic had to qualify for the Champions League and got gubbed , I honestly think it would be the funniest thing ever.

It would be shit because Rangers would have won something.