Tokyo Olympics 2021

Malinga the Swinga

Samuel Camazzola
8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Not been much talk about the golf. Nicely set up for the final round.

20210731_141711.jpg

Been watching it on Discovery + as Euros port chop and change between that and tennis too often. 

Course looks long but will likely be down to the rain they had on the first couple of days. 

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neilnunb

• milky_26

• Mikey1874

• Malinga the Swinga

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yeah

Being injured should have pulled out. But hard thing to do when your whole life revolves around winning at the Olympics. 

One of the Jamaican lassies was coming back from a bad achilles injury.

She managed to run faster than Asher-Smith. I think at the end of the day she knew she was just not good enough.

Roxy Hearts
56 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

her finish was good, i would say she has been the most impressive of the three

She was but slower than Reekie I think.

Roxy Hearts
2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

One of the Jamaican lassies was coming back from a bad achilles injury.

She managed to run faster than Asher-Smith. I think at the end of the day she knew she was just not good enough.

There may be a bit truth in that. Just get fed up with all the chat about her. She's not in the same class as the Jamaicans. 

John Findlay
Just now, Roxy Hearts said:

There may be a bit truth in that. Just get fed up with all the chat about her. She's not in the same class as the Jamaicans. 

Or the Swiss lassie and one or two Americans.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Elaine Thompson-Herah's running form is just about perfect. She looks motionless but lightening quick all at the same time. Brilliant run. 

Harry Potter
6 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Carreno Busta finally beats Djokovic to the bronze medal after 6 match points.

Threw one racket away and smashed one against the net post, aww shame, not like losing.😮

Edited by Harry Potter

17 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Without wishing to stir up a hornet's nest... I thought Rory McIlroy was from Northern Ireland. How is he representing the Republic?

I was wondering that. Perhaps because we are Great Britain not UK? UK being GB & NI...? So NI is part of Ireland for the Olympics perhaps?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
17 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Without wishing to stir up a hornet's nest... I thought Rory McIlroy was from Northern Ireland. How is he representing the Republic?

Must be something to do with GB competing as Great Britain and not UK of GB and Northern Ireland. Looks like athletes from Northern Ireland can choose either way. 

Samuel Camazzola
20 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Must be something to do with GB competing as Great Britain and not UK of GB and Northern Ireland. Looks like athletes from Northern Ireland can choose either way. 

Yeah, they can choose to represent GB or 'all Ireland'. 

He was due to play at the last Olympics for Ireland but withdrew due to the Zika virus which was prevalent in Brazil back then. He admitted he regretted not going after seeing Rose win gold. 

Tommy Brown
3 hours ago, neilnunb said:

Oh...faces of thunder at the end of that 100m 🤣🤣

Really funny the winner lying down and screaming her head off.

The two other Jamaican girls going nowhere near her:lol:

John Findlay
3 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Elaine Thompson-Herah's running form is just about perfect. She looks motionless but lightening quick all at the same time. Brilliant run. 

She is the Jamaican lassie who came back from the serious achilles injury.

Jambo-Jimbo

Even a fully fit in form Dina Asher-Smith would have been hard pushed to beat the Jamaicans, so I think in the coming days there will be questions asked of why she was allowed to travel to Japan in the first place, she admitted herself that it was a risk and had only started to run again in the last week or so.

Another runner could have been given her place and experience the Olympics, which would hopefully benefit them in 3 years time in Paris.

Before anybody starts jumping up and down shaking their fists, I'm not having a go at Dina, far from it, she's an athlete and would want to run if she had a broken leg, I'd do the same, but surely those higher up would know that it was a huge risk to Dina's long term health risking her.

Bindy Badgy
29 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Even a fully fit in form Dina Asher-Smith would have been hard pushed to beat the Jamaicans

Her PB would have seen her come in 4th so it would have taken a hell of a run for her to medal.

Jambo-Jimbo
5 minutes ago, Bindy Badgy said:

Her PB would have seen her come in 4th so it would have taken a hell of a run for her to medal.

Exactly, and you ain't going to do that with a hamstring injury.

All those advertisers that paid Mo Farah and Dina Asher Smith all that money must be feeling sick.

Mo never qualified and Dina was hiding an injury.

One in the eye for the ad men. :jj:

Samuel Camazzola

The BBC are itching to move away from the golf to show something else. They must be hating it that play-offs are imminent. 😄

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The BBC are itching to move away from the golf to show something else. They must be hating it that play-offs are imminent. 😄

Some play-off, 7, then 5, the 2.

Good watch

Samuel Camazzola
6 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Some play-off, 7, then 5, the 2.

Good watch

Yeah. Pereira got fortunate on the 2nd play off hole with his tee shot then a horseshoe out at the next to see him eliminated. 

Morikawa got the worst possible place to be presented with fried egg lie on the last. 

Would have preferred to have seen all seven go out at once rather than two groups. 

kingantti1874

If Beth Tweddle isn’t dressing up as Cindy Lou Who at Halloween she is missing a trick

Edited by kingantti1874

Tommy Brown
47 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Yeah. Pereira got fortunate on the 2nd play off hole with his tee shot then a horseshoe out at the next to see him eliminated. 

Morikawa got the worst possible place to be presented with fried egg lie on the last. 

Would have preferred to have seen all seven go out at once rather than two groups. 

I missed the first two being eliminated.

Morikawa's bunker lie was brutal.

Whitlock with gold on the gymnastics pommel horse.

Dressage would be improved if the riders had to do the same tricks on the real horses, then it wouldn't be just the horses doing the work 🤪

Malinga the Swinga

Not a fan of skateboarding but the BMX freestyle was great to watch. The GB girl was unbelievable and deserved her gold.

Guy chips in with bronze and now Whitlock adds gold. Add in the silver at swimming and another good day at Olympics.

Tommy Brown

So unlucky in the womans triple jump.

Rojas of Venezuela beat the WR by about a foot, for a red flag about an inch past the board.

Mens High Jump final is immense. Just now.

5 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Yeah great viewing. Love the reaction of the Korean boy 😁

38 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

So unlucky in the womans triple jump.

Rojas of Venezuela beat the WR by about a foot, for a red flag about an inch past the board.

she has now just beat the WR with her final jump

Tommy Brown
1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

she has now just beat the WR with her final jump

Thought she had fluffed it, her step looked short. Then she flew over the WR.

Great watch.

WR from 1995, did I hear that right?

3 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Thought she had fluffed it, her step looked short. Then she flew over the WR.

Great watch.

WR from 1995, did I hear that right?

yep same night jonathan edwards broke the record in gothenberg

also the mens high jump all three in medal positions fail at the same height but the top two decide that sharing the gold is the best option

Tommy Brown
5 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

also the mens high jump all three in medal positions fail at the same height but the top two decide that sharing the gold is the best option

Just seen the replay again.

Her step looks so weak, how she manages to spring the jump so far is bloody amazing.

She can go so further.

Bloody love Olympic athletics.

Wgat a time to be signed off work this week:jambobanana:

Just now, Tommy Brown said:

Just seen the replay again.

Her step looks so weak, how she manages to spring the jump so far is bloody amazing.

She can go so further.

Bloody love Olympic athletics.

Wgat a time to be signed off work this week:jambobanana:

they said her distances were 5.something, 3. somtheing and almost 6. if she had sorted out her middle stage she could have destriyed the WR by maybe up to a metre

willie wallace
6 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

How can you decide to share a gold medal.Why would you even have the option.

Surely they should have just fought it out until the end.

Tommy Brown
6 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

italy win the gold in the 100m

Good to see a nation outwith the usual Jamaicans and USA to win this.

Hughes needed to be .15 second faster to have a chance, his start needed to be spot on. Ended up too pumped.

Michael Johnson...one second moaning about the winning time, the next saying times don't matter.  Think he's just bitter a European one albeit an adopted one. 😁

Roxy Hearts
23 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Hughes blaming cramp on his false start.

Hmmm..

Probably told to say that by some GB coach/rep. I like seeing the deflation in the studio at times as better than the jingoism.

Malinga the Swinga

And out go GB men from hockey. Beaten by a poor niggly Indian side who created nothing, but were presented with 3 goals due to English, sorry GB, obsession with playing out from back, even when under pressure.

GB men learned nothing in last 12 years, still playing hockey from dark ages, still insist on playing all England players with 1 or 2 token non English, think Irish guy was in squad, maybe a Welsh one as well, and same inability to convert penalty corners.

A few Scots could easily have been in squad, especially in goals where the keeper playing had amazing ability to let ball between his legs and into goal.

Women are miles ahead of men in attitude and team work in GB hockey terms.

Managed to see Hughes screw up 100 as well, just as he did trials. Repeating mistakes is sure sign of lack of intelligence.

John Findlay
1 hour ago, willie wallace said:

How can you decide to share a gold medal.Why would you even have the option.

Surely they should have just fought it out until the end.

Both jumpers agreed. Maybe both were mentally exhausted. If both jumpers agree and are happy, why not?

Edited by John Findlay

willie wallace
7 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Both jumpers agreed. Maybe both were mentally exhausted. If both jumpers agree and are happy, why not?

Yea fair enough but just don't think it should be an option.

I remember some pole vault contests going on until late in the night to determine the winner.

7 minutes ago, willie wallace said:

Yea fair enough but just don't think it should be an option.

I remember some pole vault contests going on until late in the night to determine the winner.

if they had not decided to share i think they would have another jump at that height then if both failed the bar would be lowered until one passed it

23 hours ago, Spellczech said:

I was wondering that. Perhaps because we are Great Britain not UK? UK being GB & NI...? So NI is part of Ireland for the Olympics perhaps?

Team GB is the name purely for marketing purposes, the team is made up of athletes from Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Northern Irish athletes can compete for Team GB or Ireland.

Edit: Should add that the likes of the Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey also come under the Team GB banner despite not being part of GB.

Edited by Awbdy Oot

23 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Bloody phone!!

Edited by Awbdy Oot