Tokyo Olympics 2021

Malinga the Swinga

How come US women's gymnasts are always powerful and muscular and the Russian ones are always willowy little things? If I had to guess which ones had been popping protein and hormones I know I'd be checking the Western ones TBH...

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neilnunb

• milky_26

• Mikey1874

• Malinga the Swinga

3 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

One last thing. Any chance of BBC using commentator who has actually played hockey and not just random journalist who happens to be available.

He doesn't know why fouls are given or what tactics are being used and just guesses. It's very frustrating.

It was the same on the men's time trial in the cycling. I understand it has to be made less geeky for the casual watcher who may have not seen it before but the questions to Chris Boardman were laughable. An example being "how hard an effort is a TT?" Piece of piss mate, 50km at just under maximum heart rate at an average speed of about 30mph on a hilly course in under an hour. 

Roxy Hearts
18 hours ago, Ulysses said:

And they're gas when they're being interviewed.  :laugh:

Just seen a short interview and one of the boys said something along the lines that the people where they're from will be rowing in the porter they're drinking. I laughed out loud. Brilliant 🤣

3 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Just seen a short interview and one of the boys said something along the lines that the people where they're from will be rowing in the porter they're drinking. I laughed out loud. Brilliant 🤣

What's communication like on the boat?

Well, we're rowing pretty hard.  Ya can't be talking, like, when you're rowing that hard.

Roxy Hearts
11 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

What's communication like on the boat?

Well, we're rowing pretty hard.  Ya can't be talking, like, when you're rowing that hard.

Can't beat a bit Irish humour. Down to earth, funny as f... 🤣

20 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Horse just fired out a few shits whilst prancing across the dressage arena 🤣

Bet the manky bawbag never stopped to clean it up either!

Actually, horses' shite is okay to be left as it lies, apparently. I'd treat it as a mini-roundabout and indicate left at the appropriate exit :lol: 

7 minutes ago, Boof said:

Bet the manky bawbag never stopped to clean it up either!

Actually, horses' shite is okay to be left as it lies, apparently. I'd treat it as a mini-roundabout and indicate left at the appropriate exit :lol: 

Commentators were like "well if you have to go" and "did you notice he moved more freely afterwards" 😄

15 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Commentators were like "well if you have to go" and "did you notice he moved more freely afterwards" 😄

:lol:

Up with cramp now so just as well watch some olympics. The rowing eights are seriously impressive when they are racing side by side. You appreciate the speed they can make. 

Roxy Hearts
7 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Bronze for the 8s rowing. A silver and bronze from the rowing. Poor.

An honest summation at last from the BBC presenters instead of the usual hyperbole etc.

Fairly successful night/morning.

Gold and silver in BMX

Silver and bronze in swimming

Bronze in bouncy bouncy

10 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Fairly successful night/morning.

Gold and silver in BMX

Silver and bronze in swimming

Bronze in bouncy bouncy

and two guaranteed medals in the boxing

Radio Ga Ga

Really enjoyed the BMX racing, first time I’ve watched it. 

Poor Olympics from our rowers, used to expect a gold or two. Pretty honest appraisal from the management and presenters that other nations are ahead of us in the way they prepare, whereas in the past they all used to look at our preparations. 

You might think rowing will get some funding cuts for poor performance. 

Other sports have questioned the high funding for rowing previously. 

Maybe there are youngsters coming through and it's normal to have a dip. 

John Findlay
11 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

You might think rowing will get some funding cuts for poor performance. 

Other sports have questioned the high funding for rowing previously. 

Maybe there are youngsters coming through and it's normal to have a dip. 

It's there first serious dip since 1980 in the rowing. 40 years of getting gold medals is good going, we're bound to have a blip sometime.

I have a feeling there will be a dip in the velodrome too.

Tommy Brown

I record overnight and fast forward through.

I cannot believe what BBC done with the BMX finals though.

They decide to show a last 16 womans boxing tie and shove the mens BMX final onto the Red button.

Then came to their senses and and crashed out of the boxing to show the Womans final.

But then show the mens final and tell you GB get silver -  IDIOTS

1 hour ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Poor Olympics from our rowers, used to expect a gold or two. Pretty honest appraisal from the management and presenters that other nations are ahead of us in the way they prepare, whereas in the past they all used to look at our preparations. 

BMX racing and the Canoe slalom are 2 of the events that I really enjoy watching in the Olympics, and of course never watch them again until another 4 years have passed.

30 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Great equalising header by Ellen White there for GB.

We could do with her up front at Tyney.

Ffs Australia equalise in injury time

9 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Hopeless defending, just stood and watched her bring it down and take a touch before shooting.

Malinga the Swinga

Bad defending costs equaliser in football. Off to extra time. Great performance from women's rugby 7's. Defence was fantastic and they are in semi final.

10 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Raging. I need to get ready and head off to work so won’t see the extra time. 

Malinga the Swinga

Kim Little going off is major concern was she is calmest player and they miss her badly. Presume her head knock forced her off. They need Weir and Hemp to force pace.

Eilish McColgan fails to qualify from the 5,000m 😡

"I'm so tall & my legs are so long that it's not even that I clip people's feet, I clip people's hands," she said afterwards.   😁

"But that's racing, I know that's the way it is. Obviously I'm absolutely gutted about that."

Edited by neilnunb

1 minute ago, neilnunb said:

Eilish McColgan fails to qualify from the 5,000m 😡

It made me feel old seeing a runner I used to watch’s daughter being in the olympics, then I realised the daughter is 30 so I feel even older. 

18 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Kim Little going off is major concern was she is calmest player and they miss her badly. Presume her head knock forced her off. They need Weir and Hemp to force pace.

I love watching Kim Little playing football. Unpopular opinion on here, but I like women's football and think she's such a good player.

Just now, Tazio said:

It made me feel old seeing a runner I used to watch’s daughter being in the olympics, then I realised the daughter is 30 so I feel even older. 

Haha I know what you mean 😭

Malinga the Swinga

Disappointing way to go out. Although penalty miss was important, the defence need to take blame. They couldn't win a cross ball and all goals were shockers to concede. Even the deflection came from defender turning back on ball. 

Tommy Brown
10 minutes ago, Barack said:

Mixed 4x400's is crazy. Watched a Nigerian guy run past the leading woman like she was still in bed. 

:lol:

M.Johnson talking about USA appeal for being in wrong position for changeover.

Showed another heat and it was mayhem.

Shambolic stuff.

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

4-3, 6 mins to go

White hat trick. What a good goalscorer she is. Particularly her heading ability

Is she the one that does that infuriating celebration though? The one with the hands making upside down glasses on her face? If so then I hope she never scores another goal again.

Malinga the Swinga

GB  score to go 2 nil up and umpire refuses to award goal as he didn't bother checking. Ball clearly over line 

I know I go on about umpires but they are ****ing hopeless.

Seymour M Hersh
5 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Well they got rid of or allowed to leave to easily, the head coach who made it all happen. 

Tommy Brown
44 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Is she the one that does that infuriating celebration though? The one with the hands making upside down glasses on her face? If so then I hope she never scores another goal again.

Aye, but I dont think I seen her do it this time. Maybe the first game.

She scored 6 of GBs 7 total.