Tokyo Olympics 2021

Malinga the Swinga

Malinga the Swinga

Looking forward to Olympics, but will be much different from the usual games we see.

First event is next Wednesday, 21st July when GB women play opening match of football at 8.30am, our time.

All crammed into just over 2 weeks so plenty sport to enjoy.

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neilnunb

• milky_26

• Mikey1874

• Malinga the Swinga

Seymour M Hersh

They should have postponed it again. Without any fans (let alone international fans) they'll be pretty crap to watch. Used to love watching the Olympics but after 2012 it's all gone downhill for me. 

I know I'm posting but got no real interest in the Olympics anymore. Might watch some of the big athletic finals but that will be it

been here before

I dont mind the first week or two of the normal Olympics where you get to see sports you wouldnt necessarily watch. Bit of rowing, fencing, BMX, shooting, swimming or what have you. 

Then the 'athletics' starts and its 2 weeks of wall to wall folk running round a track except the odd 2 minute nod toward the long jump or hammer.

Same as a few on here, love the Olympics and usually watch as much as I can, but without fans and with the timings mostly during the night, I won't be watching anywhere near as much. Will probably just catch the daily highlight shows.

A combination of timings, no fans and competitions impacted by Covid will mean this is the worst Olympics of my lifetime.

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

A combination of timings, no fans and competitions impacted by Covid will mean this is the worst Olympics of my lifetime.

Do you miss Montreal? 

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

By 7 years!

Just for context Brendan Foster being 3rd in the 10000 metres was just about the highlight for the UK in 1976. 

Little did we know. 

Jambo-Jimbo

Major sponsors Toyota, Panasonic & Fujitsu have all pulled Olympic TV adverts in Japan due to the lukewarm response of the Japanese public to the games.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/two-thirds-japanese-doubt-pandemic-olympics-can-be-safe-says-poll-2021-07-19/

Toshiro Muto the head of the Japanese organising committee has today refused to rule out a last minute cancellation of the games.

https://www.skysports.com/olympics/news/15234/12359739/tokyo-2020-toshiro-muto-not-ruling-out-11th-hour-cancellation-of-olympics-due-to-covid-19

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Mac_fae_Gillie

Wonder if the track winners will still do a lap of honour with no fans there as it seems very pointless. The timings are main thing here though just not watching anything live really defeats watching at all, plus don't seem to know anywhere near as many of the athletes of previous games so my general interest is reduced.

1 hour ago, kila said:

It's going to get cancelled.

Think it’ll be a case of who blinks first. Japan are on the hook for about £12 billion or something if they cancel, having spent a similar amount already. 

Tommy Brown

It a real pity.

In normal circumstances, you would imagine  the Japanese would have produced a great spectacle.

Everyone is losing out.

Paralympian Olivia Breen allegedly was told by a female official at the European Championships that her outfit was too revealing.

424.jpg?width=300&quality=45&auto=format

Meanwhile, the Norwegian female beach volleyball team were fined $1,500 for playing in shorts instead of bikini bottoms, as their outfits were apparently not revealing enough.

E6XNaW7X0AEKg59?format=jpg&name=small

I'd like to think that the powers that be would be concentrating more on the rampant drug use and technological doping that's rife in the athletics world, but apparently monitoring the state of undress of female competitors is top priority.

Edited by Cade

been here before
10 minutes ago, Hesh said:

Womens football on Beeb 2 now GB/Chile 

Hold me back.

Gies a shout when its finished.

US women's football team getting their arse handed to them by Sweden, 3-0 with a few minutes left. US record of something like 40+ games unbeaten coming to an emphatic end. Reminds me of us beating Celtic 4-0.

:pleasing:

1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

Brisbane awarded the 2032 Games

If any of us are still left by then, of course.

Might end up just being the aboriginal games

1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

Fantastic city. They will do a great job..

Hoping the open water swimming is held in the Brisbane river...

🦈🐊

Tommy Brown
8 hours ago, Hesh said:

Womens football on Beeb 2 now GB/Chile 

I watched this for quite a bit.

Bloody Var!!!  Taking far too long the advise the ref. Felt sorry for the ref, twice in the 2nd half.

31 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I watched this for quite a bit.

Bloody Var!!!  Taking far too long the advise the ref. Felt sorry for the ref, twice in the 2nd half.

It’s every goal, brutal

mens games tomorrow, see if that’s any better 

Tommy Brown

ITV newsreader

The Womans football kicked off today.

And a great start for England, who won their opening match against Chile.

**** RIGHT OFF!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Tommy Brown

Reporting an "England" win in burds fitba' just shows a stunning amount of ignorance.

Team GB may consist of 19 English, 2 Scots and 1 Welsh players but the two Scots are first-pick starters and Kim Little is co-captain of the team.

14 minutes ago, Cade said:

Reporting an "England" win in burds fitba' just shows a stunning amount of ignorance.

Team GB may consist of 19 English, 2 Scots and 1 Welsh players but the two Scots are first-pick starters and Kim Little is co-captain of the team.

Managed at Arsenal by the new Scotland coach which will presumably be mentioned next time. 

Malinga the Swinga
2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

ITV newsreader

The Womans football kicked off today.

And a great start for England, who won their opening match against Chile.

**** RIGHT OFF!!!!!!!!!!

To be fair to BBC, I watched game and both commentators and pundits raved about Kim Little. Main pundit and Alex Scott all said it would benefit English players having Little and Weir in midfield as they are quality players 

On 20/07/2021 at 12:13, Mikey1874 said:

Just for context Brendan Foster being 3rd in the 10000 metres was just about the highlight for the UK in 1976. 

Little did we know. 

Hope you are just talking about athletics; David Wilkie won gold in Montreal.

On 15/07/2021 at 13:19, been here before said:

I dont mind the first week or two of the normal Olympics where you get to see sports you wouldnt necessarily watch. Bit of rowing, fencing, BMX, shooting, swimming or what have you. 

Then the 'athletics' starts and its 2 weeks of wall to wall folk running round a track except the odd 2 minute nod toward the long jump or hammer.

Pretty much this.

Is it normal for the football to start before the opening ceremony has taken place?

luckyBatistuta

Guy who started on his knees in what looked like a cloth sack. He looked like some drunk bloke in Glasgow trying to get up. He got up jumped to the ground, he got up and jumped to the ground, he got up and jumped to the ground, the end 😱🤣😴

jambostuart

Quite enjoying this. Helps I enjoy the video games being played by the orchestra Makes me miss being a lighting operator at the Fringe though :( The Fringe will be missing this culture this year

Malinga the Swinga

Well the men's road race at cycling looked absolutely brutal and a well deserved winner from Ecuador.

Footballfirst

GB men's hockey 3-1 South Africa

GB women's football 1-0 Japan (through to q/f)

Adam Peaty fastest qualifier for 100m breaststroke

4 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

33 degrees, 85% humidity, Christ knows how far then these feckin hills at the end. 

Not quite a wee pedal along the Union Canal, eh?

6 days after 3 weeks at the Tour de France too. 

Tommy Brown

Andy Murray withdraws from mens singles.

Should be ok for monday in the doubles.

Should he have been in the singles or is it purely to defend his double gold.

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Andy Murray withdraws from mens singles.

Should be ok for monday in the doubles.

Should he have been in the singles or is it purely to defend his double gold.

He was defending singles champion. 

Only ever won silver in the doubles. (In London)

I doubt he would have won the singles this time around but still 😭