Tokyo Olympics 2021

Malinga the Swinga

6 minutes ago, Norm said:

Simone Biles out the competition. That's a massive blow to the US's medal hopes in gymnastics. 

Biles and Osaka in the same day. 

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neilnunb

• milky_26

• Mikey1874

• Malinga the Swinga

A Boy Named Crow

Highlight of the Olympics so far,  one of the Team GB gymnastics is called James Hall. A gymnast, called Jim Hall...magic!

Dressage, is there a more boring Olympic "sport"? I get that there must be skill involved in it, but it's just dancing horses, or not even that as it's just slow-walking horses a lot of the time.

1 hour ago, PortyJambo said:

Dressage, is there a more boring Olympic "sport"? I get that there must be skill involved in it, but it's just dancing horses, or not even that as it's just slow-walking horses a lot of the time.

Surely the horse should get the medal? 

John Findlay
2 hours ago, neilnunb said:

Good bronze medal for the women's gymnastics team

It was, they were lying 5th with one discipline to go. I am old enough to  remember when GB gymnastic teams never even made Olympic finals, and I think that was in the days when 10 teams could reach the final.

22 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

It was, they were lying 5th with one discipline to go. I am old enough to  remember when GB gymnastic teams never even made Olympic finals, and I think that was in the days when 10 teams could reach the final.

Thought you were going to say you're old enough to remember last time they won a medal in that event 😉

John Findlay
24 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Thought you were going to say you're old enough to remember last time they won a medal in that event 😉

That's Jonnothejambo😉🤣

4 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

It's called horse dancing. I assume it is in the Olympics due to tradition, same as fencing...

I also struggle with the inclusion of sports where you have to be an expert to understand the judging and it is becoming an increasing problem - gymnastics, surfing, Taekwondo, Judo etc all I can do is try to admire the skill involved.

Also not a fan of how many sports you can enter multiple events because it is essentially the same bloody thing - swimming is particularly bad for this...

Also the mixed events like swimming relays and Triathalon relay - why are these necessary? Just another chance of a medal for doing the same thing and favours the strongest countries to boot...

manaliveits105
6 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

Thought it was funny the way the toffs doing the commentary waffled about the gold then the silver then the bronze was an outstanding success 

and the way the 54 year old pulled out all the stops what an effort - it’s the feckin horse that does it  - they are more irritating than Matt’ s shrieking and whooping in the gymnastics 

Who is Claire Balding's co-presenter? She doesn't seem to be very good at her job. Doesn't seem very natural in front of the camera and is fluffing her lines all over tonight.

Mars plastic
1 minute ago, Sooperstar said:

Who is Claire Balding's co-presenter? She doesn't seem to be very good at her job. Doesn't seem very natural in front of the camera and is fluffing her lines all over tonight.

Beth Tweddle or the ubiquitous Alex Jones.

2 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

Beth Tweddle or the ubiquitous Alex Jones.

It's not Tweddle, who I find far less annoying than I did when she first came on the scene.

Balding is nippy too, but that's nothing new.

4 hours ago, Barack said:

Await Piers Morgan's tweet, in 3...2...

However it does raise a question as to whether she is using it as an excuse after a poor first effort and telling us........

"After the performance I did, I just didn't want to go on," she said.

Now sorry but if every competitor or sportsperson  did not want to go on and gave up after every poor performance they are not much of a competitor.

Just hope this is genuine (of course not to the extent it harms her) but you cannot pretend that a question or two will be raised and not without it being an acceptable reason for doing so

Pals nephew in the Slalom canoeing tomorrow at 5 AM. Do I get up early or not. Decisions decisions.

Wow. That was a ****ing awful performance by the mens 4 in the rowing. Steering all over the place and almost crashing into the Italians.

1 minute ago, neilnunb said:

Wow. That was a ****ing awful performance by the mens 4 in the rowing. Steering all over the place and almost crashing into the Italians.

Possibly cost Italy the silver, on another note how badly have those commentators been at calling what's actually happening?

2 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Possibly cost Italy the silver, on another note how badly have those commentators been at calling what's actually happening?

Was watching Eurosport. Tbf they seemed ok...more disbelief at what they were watching. 😁

Think cos we've been that used to the rowing being a strong point of the Olympics that it seems a bit flat this time around. Regret staying up to watch it now 😁

Gold in the 4x200m freestyle, smashing field but marginally outside of world record.

As a PS, I can't remember where I heard it yesterday but there is a chance Scott touched first in the individual event but there is a secondary touch pad that needs activated and as he was stretching didn't have quite enough pressure for his touch to be recognised.

Nothing untoward as it is something that can happen.

10 hours ago, CJGJ said:

However it does raise a question as to whether she is using it as an excuse after a poor first effort and telling us........

"After the performance I did, I just didn't want to go on," she said.

Now sorry but if every competitor or sportsperson  did not want to go on and gave up after every poor performance they are not much of a competitor.

Just hope this is genuine (of course not to the extent it harms her) but you cannot pretend that a question or two will be raised and not without it being an acceptable reason for doing so

well she has now pulled out of the individual event

Malinga the Swinga

Awesome performance in 4x200 relay. Good to see Scott and Guy finally get a gold after previous attempts.

Not sure if there's a third place in rugby 7's but New Zealand won easily in semi final.

Men’s time trial in the cycling on just now. The BBC at least might have found someone to commentate that knew anything at all about cycling. 

Quite enjoying the Olympics this year. Been some decent viewing.

Of course this is completely spoiled by the BBC with its Uber British wankfest. Every time a Brit wins a medal they listen to about 20+ seconds of the national dirge when they're on the podium and zoom in full screen on the butchers apron to really ram home the brain washing! 

Other than than its really enjoyable.

Rugby 7's is even worse than normal rugby. It's just a total mess.

I assume this is all made up of players who aren't good enough to play at the top level in the proper game?

Nucky Thompson
56 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Of course this is completely spoiled by the BBC with its Uber British wankfest. Every time a Brit wins a medal they listen to about 20+ seconds of the national dirge when they're on the podium and zoom in full screen on the butchers apron to really ram home the brain washing! 

You really are a bitter little nationalist with a huge chip on his shoulder :rofl:

1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

i know such a travesty a british broadcaster focusing on british comeptitors. 

:cornette:

if you saw the mens time trial they mainly focused on the cyclists who were fighting for the medals, not the brit in the field. all they did was occasionally update the viewers on his status

3 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

if you saw the mens time trial they mainly focused on the cyclists who were fighting for the medals, not the brit in the field. all they did was occasionally update the viewers on his status

TBF if they controlled the pictures they'd be sat watching Thomas the whole way 😂

I'm not pro Britain, but it's the national broadcaster and rightly are focussing on British athletes and enjoying their success. Even I can get into it and enjoy it!

8 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

I agree that they should have particular focus on British competitors. They're the national broadcaster and it is what the majority of viewers are interested in, including myself. I don't see why many fail to understand that. Could they be more balanced at times? Yes. And they should be prepared to ditch the focus on British participants once it is clear they aren't a factor in whatever competition they happen to be competing in.

On your last point though, they were broadcasting the Time Trial live, so they had no control over what rider we got to see at any point.

John Findlay
51 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Rugby 7's is even worse than normal rugby. It's just a total mess.

I assume this is all made up of players who aren't good enough to play at the top level in the proper game?

You would have just been better saying. I haven't a clue about rugby.

4 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

You would have just been better saying. I haven't a clue about rugby.

Well, no, not really. I understand rugby. I understand that the 7s version probably requires a specific kind of player who has more skill at a fast-pace. But I don't think there can be any debate that the best all round rugby players from GB are currently in South Africa and not in Tokyo.

And I also understand that rugby in any guise is a shite game.

I think rugby 7s would be better if it was a smaller pitch etc but to me it is just an open field for the fast ****ers to take advantage of.

Like 3x3 basketball has at least adjusted the playing area.

John Findlay
34 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Well, no, not really. I understand rugby. I understand that the 7s version probably requires a specific kind of player who has more skill at a fast-pace. But I don't think there can be any debate that the best all round rugby players from GB are currently in South Africa and not in Tokyo.

There will be many that will argue( I am one), who would quite rightly(imho) argue that not ALL THE BEST ALL ROUND British and Irish rugby players are currently in South Africa. There are many 7s Rugby players who have went on and had successful careers in the 15 and even 13(Rugby League) men game.

You are entitled to your view that rugby is a shite game, but again I must disagree with you.

I don't know if you are aware but the 7s game was thought up by a butcher from Melrose, to raise funds for the club.

Jambo-Jimbo
42 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Dare you to say that in Hawick, Melrose or Jed. :laugh:

6 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I don't know if you are aware but the 7s game was thought up by a butcher from Melrose, to raise funds for the club.

Well his head was clearly full of mince 😉

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

You really are a bitter little nationalist with a huge chip on his shoulder :rofl:

Its a wankfest. I'm not talking about the coverage of the actual competition but the award ceremony and the studio wankfest with the droll interviews that go on and on and on and on and on. Proper BBC unionist shite. 

I’ve been in Australia a couple of times when they’re in international competitions.

Anyone who thinks the BBC are only interested in our own competitors should try Ozzie TV.  No other competitors exist and if Australia are knocked out the competition ceases to exist.

Malinga the Swinga

I'm Scottish and British. First I want to hear/watch the Scottish competitors and then the British ones. After that, I want to see the best competitors and medal winners.

I expect commentators to know the sport they are commentating on, be somewhat pro Brit, and let me know what's happening.

I believe BBC do this job far better than the dullards from Eurosport. 

Malinga the Swinga
3 hours ago, Barack said:

Yeah, Falklands rematch for the Bronze.

:pleasing:

They got beat by Argies.

Edited by Malinga the Swinga

My only gripe with the coverage is the obsession with switching channels to try and shoe horn horse dancing into my eyes. Its bollocks, I'm not interested!