Tokyo Olympics 2021

Malinga the Swinga

49 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I know you can watch Eurosport and they have loads of coverage but the decision to sell rights to Discovery and put it behind a paywall has shown just how good BBC's coverage was in past.

Just can't get any atmosphere from Eurosport as their coverage is just bland and dull with commentators who sound like they are bored.

Plus camera work is shocking.   

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neilnunb

• milky_26

• Mikey1874

• Malinga the Swinga

28 minutes ago, cannonfoda said:

Plus camera work is shocking.   

All broadcasters will be using the same camera feed.

Malinga the Swinga

Men's team win at hockey but women a goal down early v SA. Yet again, strange umpiring decisions playing a part. They give decisions they can't possibly see with no help from other umpire. 

Need to start getting more players into circle and get some shots in.

Jambo-Jimbo
57 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

All broadcasters will be using the same camera feed.

Yip, the rest of the world just take whatever feed the Japanese broadcasters provide them with, they have no control over the camera work.

3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yip, the rest of the world just take whatever feed the Japanese broadcasters provide them with, they have no control over the camera work.

Well it's crap compared to other years.   Almost missed the end of the triathlon last night and cameras kept dropping out. 

Malinga the Swinga

Another shocker from umpire. The Chinese umpire who gave penalty in last game against GB now refuses GB one as video ref for exact same offence. 

They need to sort out before it costs a team in knock out games.

Roxy Hearts

Some of the GB team doing well. Peaty is some boy, likes a wee swear! Even when some of the team are crap, the commentators etc act like they've won the gold but are nowhere! Why can't they be honest instead of the jingoism?

Jambo-Jimbo
38 minutes ago, cannonfoda said:

Well it's crap compared to other years.   Almost missed the end of the triathlon last night and cameras kept dropping out. 

I think they must have dropped out during the gymnastics as well and missed a fall by someone.

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Pleased for Tom. He seems like a good bloke and his teammate came across well too 

Now he can go for the individual medal with less pressure.

Only 27 so he can still go in Paris in 2024.

👍

Bindy Badgy
4 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I know you can watch Eurosport and they have loads of coverage but the decision to sell rights to Discovery and put it behind a paywall has shown just how good BBC's coverage was in past.

Just can't get any atmosphere from Eurosport as their coverage is just bland and dull with commentators who sound like they are bored.

Commentary for the judo has been a bit weird. Kept cutting out then disappeared on Saturday, full commentary on Sunday, nothing in the preliminary rounds then cutting out throughout the medal fights today. It's fine for me as I used to compete at a decent level but heaven help any casual viewers that want someone to explain what's happening.

Roxy Hearts
10 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Jeez what a turnaround in those last 30 seconds

The BBC website had the headline that Williams won the gold! Checked again and she's got silver. What a crap institution that godforsaken channel is!

Roxy Hearts
10 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Same Old Scene with that lot, Roxy.

🤣. Always make mistakes Jonno. Beth Tweddle spoke well about the Russian gymnastics lads instead of the usual GB guff. The lad Yee did well. 

JudyJudyJudy
4 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Pleased for Tom. He seems like a good bloke and his teammate came across well too 

Now he can go for the individual medal with less pressure.

Only 27 so he can still go in Paris in 2024.

He’s a great role model for young gay people I think . From originally being in the closet ( yes we all knew he was gay , he was the last to know 😂) to coming out . He had a lovely relationship with his dad and spoke movingly of him today and how inspiring he was . He now has followed the heterosexual “ norm “ of marriage and a child  ( something I’ve been critical off as I’ve the Hetero life is the thing to aspire to ) but he seems very happy now . His husband is a accomplished screen writer ( “ Milk” ) too . I assumed his career was over so pleasantly surprised he won the gold medal . Good lad . 

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

What's not to like?

Perhaps a wee bit of context to add some spice at the start of each bout?

"The blue bloke spilt the red bloke's pint. Go!"

or

"The lass with the blue was caught tossing her rubbish into the red one's wheelie bin on the day before the collection. Go!"

or

"You're at a wake. You just discovered that the deceased has cut you out of the will at the other one's expense. Go!"

:lol: Would make it more interesting, it just looks messy. 

JudyJudyJudy
15 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

He is obviously happy and content with his life and that is good to see. 

Yes gold medal Icing on the cake ! He has faced some criticism for marrying a much older person . Well Bass has but then Charlie Chaplin ( a hero of mine ) married Oona O’Neil when she was just 18 and he was 54 . They lived happily ever after for 34 years and had  8 children ! 👍

2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes gold medal Icing on the cake ! He has faced some criticism for marrying a much older person . Well Bass has but then Charlie Chaplin ( a hero of mine ) married Oona O’Neil when she was just 18 and he was 54 . They lived happily ever after for 34 years and had  8 children ! 👍

Chaplin was a borderline paedophile most of his life. 

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Chaplin was a borderline paedophile most of his life. 

934906FE-0F07-4C65-B123-A9DFAF8BFEC0.gif

29 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

One of the Brits has suffered a flat tyre when she was in the leading pack 😭

What a run by Georgia Taylor-Brown to get up into silver position despite that flat tyre. 

Lass from Bermuda is running away with this though.

Not long to go...

Roxy Hearts
10 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

What a run by Georgia Taylor-Brown to get up into silver position despite that flat tyre. 

Lass from Bermuda is running away with this though.

Not long to go...

GB lassie done well to get silver.

5 hours ago, neilnunb said:

Dean pips Scott to Gold in the 200m freestyle.

🥇🥈

First swimming one-two in 113 years. 

British don't have a target for medals this time. 

Bindy Badgy

Discovery Plus are now broadcasting football commentary over the judo. First time I've seen/heard a mistake like this.

3 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Rugby 7's quarter final on just now, GB against the USA.

Getting a bit of a tanking

Just now, PortyJambo said:

Thought it was all over at 21-0, but looks like they might do it...

They looked completely out of it as you say. They did really well to wrestle themselves back into it and come back!

And they do get the comeback win, 26-21. The yellow card for the US was key, 2 tries scored when they were down to 6 players.

Difficult semi-final against New Zealand next, who have won all their matches, but then again Fiji or SA/Arg in the other semi wouldn't have been any easier either.

4 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Difficult semi-final against New Zealand next, who have won all their matches, but then again Fiji or SA/Arg in the other semi wouldn't have been any easier either.

Tough one but got to beat those teams if they want to win it I guess.

Argentina red card for a high dangerous tackle.

14 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Tough one but got to beat those teams if they want to win it I guess.

Argentina red card for a high dangerous tackle.

And still beating SA with only 6 men (and only 5 for the last 30 seconds!), great performance by Argentina, didn't give them a hope playing with only 6 men for so long.

1 hour ago, Barack said:

Get somewhere in between I'd guess. 

End of the day, despite them saying "oh, we're not too bothered this time"...rest assured they are.

Comes down to funding ultimately. And if athlete's do rather poorly; then unless they've cast iron sponsorship or guarantees from UK Sport, then they'll be sweating for Paris.

It remains the case the big challenge for sport is the balance between supporting elite athletes and investing in facilities which at grassroots have been hammered by austerity.

Edited by Mikey1874