Tokyo Olympics 2021

Malinga the Swinga

Tommy Brown
14 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

He was defending singles champion. 

Only ever won silver in the doubles. (In London)

I doubt he would have won the singles this time around but still 😭

By double gold , I meant winning the singles at London and Rio.

Just think entering him this year was too sympathetic. Norrie or Evans would have been moore realistic.

Liam Broady, 5th in British  rankungs was our other entrant.

Anyine know how selection is done?

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neilnunb

• milky_26

• Mikey1874

• Malinga the Swinga

20 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

By double gold , I meant winning the singles at London and Rio.

Just think entering him this year was too sympathetic. Norrie or Evans would have been moore realistic.

Liam Broady, 5th in British  rankungs was our other entrant.

Anyine know how selection is done?

😁  oops, that's what I get for not waking up properly before replying 😁

Evans had to withdraw due to covid. Not sure about Norrie though.

William H. Bonney
48 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Rahm tests positive for covid...again.

Jade Jones, one of the big gold medal hopes, loses. 😭

bryson de chambeau too. He’s being replaced by the cheat, Patrick Reed 

1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

😁  oops, that's what I get for not waking up properly before replying 😁

Evans had to withdraw due to covid. Not sure about Norrie though.

Norrie decided not to enter and concentrate on the ATP ranking events, and seems to have paid off as won his first title today in Mexico.

I reckon he would have been GB's best chance of a medal in the singles, but a longshot though.

Edited by PortyJambo

Bindy Badgy

First medal for Britain is a bronze in the Judo for Chelsie Giles. Solid performance from her. She went the distance against the best fighter in the world in her category and beat everyone else by ippon.

Edited by Bindy Badgy

Malinga the Swinga

I know it's first game but the standard of umpiring in GB women's hockey game was absolutely atrocious. Germany awarded penalty flick for stick obstruction while GB denied one for worse offence of same foul.

Same ref who awarded flick to Germany then failed to play advantage from penalty corner when GB player had free shot from 6 yards, but umpire had already blown to award another penalty corner.

Pet hate of mine as the umpires should be working together but this pair looked like they were umpiring different game. The one umpire looked like she had never played game before but wanted to star in game.

Edited by Malinga the Swinga

13 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Anna Biesendorfer wins the cycling roadrace in a canter.

Meanwhile the Dutch girl crosses the line minutes later and her and her colleagues celebrate winning the gold, not realising the Austrian girl had actually won. 

'Never heard of her' said the Dutch girl. 'We thought we were driving for the gold.'

:rofl:

Your quote makes it sound like Annameik Van Vleuten was being dismissive of the Austrian rider. It was more of a criticism of herself and her teams lack of knowledge of the winner in their pre race preparation. Van Vleuten is a very respectful rider as well as one of the best ever.  And it wasn’t really a canter for the winner, she did the ride of her life and was utterly spent at the end. The Olympic cycling is different to normal road races in that the riders aren’t allowed radios and depend on the team car to get information to the rider and the Dutch management seems to have made a bit of an arse of it.

Edited by Tazio

23 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I know it's first game but the standard of umpiring in GB women's hockey game was absolutely atrocious. Germany awarded penalty flick for stick obstruction while GB denied one for worse offence of same foul.

Same ref who awarded flick to Germany then failed to play advantage from penalty corner when GB player had free shot from 6 yards, but umpire had already blown to award another penalty corner.

Pet hate of mine as the umpires should be working together but this pair looked like they were umpiring different game. The one umpire looked like she had never played game before but wanted to star in game.

I watched it this morning and thought the same about the umpires. That Chinese one especially was determined to give the Germans that penalty stroke. 

Mind you, GB had so many penalty corners that it shouldn't have been an issue.

Just now, jonnothejambo said:

They sure did arse it up and my Dutch ex colleagues will be seething. 

Oh, and it’s Kiesenhofer 😀

On 24/07/2021 at 04:36, Malinga the Swinga said:

Well the men's road race at cycling looked absolutely brutal and a well deserved winner from Ecuador.

It was a gruelling ordeal for sure but, as a spectator sport, it was a bit crap, imo.

The Aussie commentators had me puzzled at times, especially with their reference to "leagues".  I didn't understand what leagues they were referring to, then I realised they were talking about legs!  As in stamina.

One of the things I love about the olympics is watching people in sports I don’t normally watch and being amazed at what people can do. The gymnastics is on just now and that a perfect example. Watching someone do something that utterly baffles me and then they walk off calmly like they’ve done a perfectly normal thing. 

I’ve just discovered that Eurosport have gone from two channels they normally broadcast up to nine for the olympics so you can find most things that are happening live. 

Greedy Jambo

Where does it tell you what time things are on? 

Wanted to watch the skateboarding but I think I've missed it.

5 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Bbc jingoism does my head in! 

They've got a great opportunity to show the other side thanks to Jade Jones. 

Winning and losing happens. 

Roxy Hearts
1 minute ago, neilnunb said:

Sinden wins silver

Last round had so many twists

Uzbekistan lad deserved it.

Roxy Hearts
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

They've got a great opportunity to show the other side thanks to Jade Jones. 

Winning and losing happens. 

Surprised she lost but didn't see it.

3 hours ago, Tazio said:

I’ve just discovered that Eurosport have gone from two channels they normally broadcast up to nine for the olympics so you can find most things that are happening live. 

My father-in-law was saying earlier that he'd read that the BBC are only allowed to show 2 sports at once due to their contract. I did wonder at the lack of red button options on the BBC, so Eurosport having 9 channels would explain that they're allowed to show more.

Tend to prefer Eurosport's coverage of sports events, as it's not so jingoistic, just have to put up with adverts though.

Bindy Badgy

Discovery Plus seem to have everything. It cost me £7 for a month's subscription so it isn't particularly expensive. I streamed both judo mats at the same time without any lag so it's a decent service.

plastic_bas
8 hours ago, Tazio said:

Your quote makes it sound like Annameik Van Vleuten was being dismissive of the Austrian rider. It was more of a criticism of herself and her teams lack of knowledge of the winner in their pre race preparation. Van Vleuten is a very respectful rider as well as one of the best ever.  And it wasn’t really a canter for the winner, she did the ride of her life and was utterly spent at the end. The Olympic cycling is different to normal road races in that the riders aren’t allowed radios and depend on the team car to get information to the rider and the Dutch management seems to have made a bit of an arse of it.

As someone who understands nothing of cycling, can you explain to me how the race is tactical? This isn't football where you have to break an opposition down, it's a race where the fastest person wins.

I found Lizzie Deignan's comments baffling...

"Tactically I think I did the right thing - it just didn't go my way.

It was a weird race. Although there are small teams there are agendas within teams. Because the race is so hot and so humid all of the moves were a bit blunted, there wasn't that kind of spark. It was a defensive race but still really hard."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/57960575

If she'd cycled the quickest from the start line to the finish, she would have won. There is no goalkeeper blocking shots, defenders tackling or opposition players returning your serve. If you get from point A to point B in the best time, you win. You may have a plan for where on the course you sprint and where you recover etc. but it's not a tactical battle as far as I can see.

27 minutes ago, plastic_bas said:

As someone who understands nothing of cycling, can you explain to me how the race is tactical? This isn't football where you have to break an opposition down, it's a race where the fastest person wins.

I found Lizzie Deignan's comments baffling...

If she'd cycled the quickest from the start line to the finish, she would have won. There is no goalkeeper blocking shots, defenders tackling or opposition players returning your serve. If you get from point A to point B in the best time, you win. You may have a plan for where on the course you sprint and where you recover etc. but it's not a tactical battle as far as I can see.

It’s a hugely tactical sport and a win like today’s is a very rare thing. A breakaway ride may win a stage in the Tour de France or another stage race when the strong teams allow it but rarely in a one day race unless the breakaway happens later on in the race. Start to finish is very unusual. It’s a lot easier on a rider to cycle in a group due to aerodynamics and reduced drag on the rider so the peloton generally catches a solo rider or a small group. A race can be a slow one as teams will race tactically against each other if they are trying to set up a certain finish to a stage, like if a team has a strong sprinter a fast average speed won’t suit them so they will want to pace it and then up the speed to extreme speed in the last couple of Km. Road racing is an unusual sport for the olympics as a team will have pre race plans to favour a certain rider. Or in some teams perhaps an agreement to control the race until the end then allow the riders to race. Today was amazing that a rider in a one person team was in the breakaway from km 0 all the way to the end. The tactics were also interesting in that team radios aren’t allowed in the olympics, which I actually like as it makes the riders ride more on instinct. 

Edited by Tazio

Farcical start to the triathlon.

Boat in the way of a chunk of participants at the start so they understandably didn't dive into the water and it's a false start with half the field having swam about 100m.

7 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Boat in the way of a chunk of participants at the start so they understandably didn't dive into the water and it's a false start with half the field having swam about 100m.

Didn't realise it was live when I turned over.

Farcical is an understatement, bud.

I admire your restraint.

Some did dive in and were swept back to the launch pad (or whatever it's called).

Lucky no one got a face full of boat and/or propeller.

heartsfc_fan
18 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Yep 😯 madness

I can’t the only person that thinks the triathlon is a bit weird? It might just be a personal prejudice as anyone I’ve ever met who’s into it is a bit of an oddball. It’s a kind of a macho trying to prove your better than people who do the individual sports that make it up. By not being quite as good. 

6 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Keep thinking they are calling one of those triathletes 'his lordship' 🤣

Glad it’s not just me that heard that. 

Just now, Tazio said:

Glad it’s not just me that heard that. 

Aye, a few times and then realised its Mislawchuk or something they are talking about 😁

5 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Silver

Came down to one looking like an athlete and one looking like a pencil

😁

Yer man Yee looks like someone with a lot of medal wins to look forward to.

9 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Yer man Yee looks like someone with a lot of medal wins to look forward to.

Honestly thought he was going to win but as the run progressed I thought if it came down to a sprint the other two had a bit of muscle to rely on 😁

12 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Not sure I can stay up to see Peaty win gold (hopefully).

🤔

The rugby sevens is providing some good entertainment to keep you going. 

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The rugby sevens is providing some good entertainment to keep you going. 

Nah, I cant stand sevens. It's just too easy to score imo.

2 hours ago, neilnunb said:

Honestly thought he was going to win but as the run progressed I thought if it came down to a sprint the other two had a bit of muscle to rely on 😁

Looking at the three who broke away, what occurred to me was that Blummenfelt was the only name I knew, and his track record is formidable compared to the others.  If someone else more experienced had managed to stay the pace with them things could have gone very differently.  And actually, Blummenfelt more or less admitted in his post-race interview that this was a target for him and the Norwegian team management for several years.

But Yee did sensationally, and really held his form together under pressure.  If he can do that at this age (and barring injuries), he's only going to mature and get better in the run into Paris and Los Angeles.

Tommy Brown

Just watched Mark Foster being interviewed on BBC Breakfast. Asked why are Brits got such good history at Breaststroke?

"Maybe we are frogs, maybe we should be French"

:facepalm:

A gold for Tom Pidcock in the cross country mountain biking. He’s an amazing young talent, road, cyclocross, and mountain biking all to a high standard. 

Malinga the Swinga

I know you can watch Eurosport and they have loads of coverage but the decision to sell rights to Discovery and put it behind a paywall has shown just how good BBC's coverage was in past.

Just can't get any atmosphere from Eurosport as their coverage is just bland and dull with commentators who sound like they are bored.