Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )

Maroon Sailor

19 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Seems to be improving as match goes on 

Who, Raducanu? She's nearly out. Norrie getting better.

Edited by graygo

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I P Knightley
27 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Not a good day for the British players so far, Penison already papped out earlier too.

The boy that Norris is playing, Munar, is playing very well. I wish Norrie would be more aggressive sometimes too, too often he just taps the ball back into play and lets the opponent stay in the point, when you think he should be going for a winner.

Edit - and there's Norrie getting broken again, and about to lose the 3rd set

Spot on re Norrie. He's never going to make it deep into a grand slam. His game is too mundane. 

Raducanu is against an experienced player who will use her maturity to pump ER out.

1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes that’s good. I can’t understand why he’s not given as much media time as other British players as he’s number 1 . 

Hardly a great claim to fame at the moment 😁

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Spot on re Norrie. He's never going to make it deep into a grand slam. His game is too mundane. 

Raducanu is against an experienced player who will use her maturity to pump ER out.

Maturity and skills . The commentators are barely mentioning her fine play , 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Hardly a great claim to fame at the moment 😁

That’s true lol 

Raducanu emptied but much better looking for Norrie now.

Edit: spoke too soon. 😟

Edited by graygo

No huge surprise. Main thing to take from this year is experience of playing on centre court.

Folk need to remember she has only been on the main tour for a year. 

Get the coaching situation sorted, fitness will improve and hopefully put up a decent defence of the US.

Good thing, relatively quick match so Murray should be on shortly and we might have a conclusion to his match before midnight 😁

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, neilnunb said:

Good thing, relatively quick match so Murray should be on shortly and we might have a conclusion to his match before midnight 😁

I think Murray will win it in 3 

1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I think Murray will win it in 3 

I hope so cos I need to run up to the supermarket and although they close at midnight, I still need to jump in the shower. 😁

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

I hope so cos I need to run up to the supermarket and although they close at midnight, I still need to jump in the shower. 😁

😂

Norrie wore Munar down. That's his game though, outlasting players. Enough against a lot of players, but it's not going to be enough against the best players.

Now, come on Murray and end our suffering of having to watch that big lunk, Isner, playing.

Edited by PortyJambo

Jambo 4 Ever
43 minutes ago, whodanny said:

Andy's missus has got an awfy high foreheid .

Weird comment

I’m sure  you and your mrs are oil paintings 

Edited by Jambo 4 Ever

Just now, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Weird comment

I’m sure  you and your mrs are ooo paintings 

I've seen them and I'd shag them both

Malinga the Swinga

I know he plays to strengths but Isner bores **** out of me. 

Personality consists of wearing cap wrong way round and nothing else.

Andrew Castle continually saying there's more to him than big serve doesn't change that there is no more to his game than a big serve.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I can't see Murray breaking Isner even once in this match. It could be over in three sets!

Not sure what Murray's gripe is when receiving.  Was he expecting a powder puff serve?  Isner to deliberately miss a few to make it even?

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I know he plays to strengths but Isner bores **** out of me. 

Andrew Castle continually saying there's more to him than big serve doesn't change that there is no more to his game than a big serve.

He has played some good shots apart from his serve to be fair . A lot of good cross court winners 

23 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Weird comment

I’m sure  you and your mrs are oil paintings 

Simple observation. As for weird comments, just look at your reply. Indeed most of your posts.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

One of two things is happening with Raducanu - either she’s just not very good or she’s falling well short of preparing in the way a good tennis player has to. Every time I watch her she looks like a wildcard - weak, inconsistent, making up the numbers.  She’s miles short 

3 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

One of two things is happening with Raducanu - either she’s just not very good or she’s falling well short of preparing in the way a good tennis player has to. Every time I watch her she looks like a wildcard - weak, inconsistent, making up the numbers.  She’s miles short 

She's got bags of ability and will compete like a winner during matches.  Something else is awry.  Probably just a bit hot and cold.

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It’s the former . 

32 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Not sure what Murray's gripe is when receiving.  Was he expecting a powder puff serve?  Isner to deliberately miss a few to make it even?

He’s doing a lot of shouting.  Acting like a c@**.

Isner has had a worldy on serve and returning.  He would be running Djokovic close with this.  Murray has a chance most times when his head is up.  Rolling it around and roaring like a frustrated teenager wont get it done.

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

Can't stand Isner. Total anti-tennis.

I absolutely agree. Would be very unhappy to have paid for tickets and to end up watching him play. 

That said, i tuned in at 5-4 in the second and have watched him play stop volleys and cross court passing winners. He's still a big, anti-tennis lunk, though. Andy should be able to wear him down with variety but he appears to have got inside his own head. 

9 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Last year, she played free and easy, without a care. It was like watching training knocks, the depth and fluidity she played with. 

Winning the US Open has knocked her back. The changes of coach have been wrongly focused - her dad going for cheap and cheerful when better, more experienced coaches were available and willing. She's cashed in with endorsements which she's been forced to say haven't been a distraction - which is a nonsense. 

She needs to forget that she won the Open; it was a fluke. She needs to step back, get a decent coach and to build as if last year never happened. She's a talented, clever player but her mind's gone. 

20 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

It’s the former . 

Give it a rest James. 

She clearly has talent. You can hark on about her not beating anyone of note in the US, even if it's nonsense, but the simple fact is she won that tournament. She'd also played through qualifying for that.

She has been on the full tour for just over a year. What exactly were you expecting from her? 

She clearly needs to sort out the coaching situation and get her fitness back up but she'll do that.

This article probably sums it up well with her...and maybe you should take note of John Lloyd's words at the end. 😛😁

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/61829355

Worry with Murray here is he throws in an absolute stinker of a service game because Isner is holding his own serve confortably. 😬

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Give it a rest James. 

She clearly has talent. You can hark on about her not beating anyone of note in the US, even if it's nonsense, but the simple fact is she won that tournament. She'd also played through qualifying for that.

She has been on the full tour for just over a year. What exactly were you expecting from her? 

She clearly needs to sort out the coaching situation and get her fitness back up but she'll do that.

This article probably sums it up well with her...and maybe you should take note of John Lloyd's words at the end. 😛😁

I just don’t think she is that great a player irrespective of her age . There have been plenty teenage grand slam winners who won multiple slams before they were 19 .  Who knows she may improve . I’ll acknowledge it’s early days for her . Martina N didn’t win a slam unti

she was 23 I think 

14 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Give it a rest James. 

Before the tournament started the experts actually said if you take out the US Open she is actually doing very well for a rookie on her first real year on tour and that is how she should be judged a top 60 player not 10

Dusk_Till_Dawn
20 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Give it a rest James. 

When I watch her, I just don’t see anything that special. But maybe that’s just because of the phase she’s in

9 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I just don’t think she is that great a player irrespective of her age . There have been plenty teenage grand slam winners who won multiple slams before they were 19 .  Who knows she may improve . I’ll acknowledge it’s early days for her . Martina N didn’t win a slam unti

she was 23 I think 

But you keep comparing her to the likes of Seles (who I loved). Seles was on the tour from 14/15 and was just a special player.

Give Raducanu a few years on the tour and see where she is.

No matter what though, she's done something I never thought I'd see a British woman do (too young to remember Barker and Wade's wins).

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

He loves the all white of Wimbledon and is only wearing a cap because hoods are frowned upon. 

FFS! Murray trying to lob him!

I P Knightley
12 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

she was 23 I think 

That's along the lines that I wrote. Erase 2021 from the memory bank and think of herself starting out as a 19- year old. Coco Gauff is an exceptional teenage talent but isn't suffering the same weight of expectation as oor Emma. Everyone knows she'll come good in the next year or three. 

The same chance should be afforded to Raducanu. I don't know what Gauff's support team is like but I suspect it is more measured than Raducanu's. 

1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

That's along the lines that I wrote. Erase 2021 from the memory bank and think of herself starting out as a 19- year old. Coco Gauff is an exceptional teenage talent but isn't suffering the same weight of expectation as oor Emma. Everyone knows she'll come good in the next year or three. 

The same chance should be afforded to Raducanu. I don't know what Gauff's support team is like but I suspect it is more measured than Raducanu's. 

See when Coco Gauff made her Wimbledon debut and was hyped up, I really didn't see it. Last year when Raducanu made hers, I think I posted on here, best British youngster I'd seen.

With Gauff she really didn't have the power however now, after being on the tour for a while, you can see she has developed physically and is starting to push through. She is obviously slightly younger than Raducanu but also more experienced.

JudyJudyJudy
14 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

But you keep comparing her to the likes of Seles (who I loved). Seles was on the tour from 14/15 and was just a special player.

Give Raducanu a few years on the tour and see where she is.

No matter what though, she's done something I never thought I'd see a British woman do (too young to remember Barker and Wade's wins).

Oh don’t get me going about Seles ! A real tragedy what happened to her.  

Thinking of Seles I always likes her incredible power game / style , so enjoyed watching her . Unlike Emma who is not a power player . Hence not particularly keen on watching her . As others have said she may improve in the next few years . I’d recommend she sticks to the one coach and improves her fitness levels . 

Murray will win this now. Once Isner's serve wanes and the actual tennis breaks out, there's only one winner. Hopefully. 😁

I P Knightley
2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

the ballboy will be getting sacked 

And the line-o! Signaling out before the ball hit the ground. Poor show.