Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )

Maroon Sailor

Zverev has ****ed himself

Injury timeout

Judging by his screaming I wouldn't expect him back until next year! 

Edited by neilnunb

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Victorian said:

Some bod on Twatster saying it's a broken ankle.

The slow motion replay looked proper Ouch!

Just now, neilnunb said:

The slow motion replay looked proper Ouch!

Ligaments will be in tatters anaw.  A year out.

Rudd through to final although the highlight seems to have been the match being interrupted by some arsehole protestors.

Arsehole protestors? If it wasn't for these folk we'd all be we'd all be working for nothing and dead before we'd.reach 40. But that's for another thread. This thread is for the Greatest Ever.

rafael-nadal-tennis.gif

14 hours ago, jonesy said:

Seems like a Swiatek victory is imminent.

I know they train and prep hard, but these women receiving equal pay for around 1/4 of the playing time is about as far away from equality as you can get.

I don't know if it was a joke, but I hope it's true, that the US Women's football team campaigned for equal pay with  the Men's and got a pay cut, as they were paid more than the men. Please be true. :D

I P Knightley
16 hours ago, jonesy said:

Seems like a Swiatek victory is imminent.

I know they train and prep hard, but these women receiving equal pay for around 1/4 of the playing time is about as far away from equality as you can get.

Agreed. 

I pay for the entertainment and, although the training and prep behind the scenes must be similar, the end product, the "show", is inferior. 

I've never yet had an explanation from someone arguing for equality (the latest is to do with scheduling) as to why doubles are put on outside courts and paid a fraction of the singles.

PortyJambo

The live WTA rankings are a laugh at the moment, with Swiatek having over double the number of ranking points of the #2 player in the rankings. Anatt Konteveit of Estonia is the new number #2, and she actually moved up 3 places to that even though she lost in the 1st round of the French (because so many of the other players previously ranked in the top 10 also lost early in the French).

Swiatek could be staying at the top of the rankings for many years unless another young player can up their game consistently.

https://live-tennis.eu/en/wta-live-ranking

PortyJambo
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Any predictions for today's proper final? Procession for Nadal or will Ruud just have more energy?

I'd like to see Ruud win, but reckon Nadal will have too much experience for him and will win in 4.

Of course, the crowd will be behind Nadal all the way, they're almost as bad with him as Wimbledon was with Federer.

Edited by PortyJambo

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Missed the opening, see that Nadal is 4-1 up. Is he just steamrollering Ruud?

Rudd lost his opening service game to go 0-2, didn't do too much wrong tbh. Nadal then dropped his serve, however Rudd then lost his service game with a couple of silly errors.

Nadal pretty much on top without doing anything special tbh.

Ruud has been pretty inconsistent so far. Some good play but some bad as well. Probably nerves but he seems to be getting it together more now. 

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Cheers Neil.

Looks like he's barely broken sweat.

Haha definitely different to his semi final where I think the first set was about 90mins.

Rudd starting to get into the game more but not sure you can be giving Nadal a head start, especially as the crowd will just ramp up the noise.

I P Knightley
6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Federer not in the Wimbledon draw, yet. Nor Serena.

On top of the missing Russians, there will be no Zverev and Rafa's entry is in doubt with his knackered foot. That said, he is in the running for a calendar Grand Slam and that might motivate him to rock up.

2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

On top of the missing Russians, there will be no Zverev and Rafa's entry is in doubt with his knackered foot. That said, he is in the running for a calendar Grand Slam and that might motivate him to rock up.

Rafa needs to watch he doesn't make his later years unbearable by taking painkillers. It's not worth it.

I P Knightley
54 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Rafa needs to watch he doesn't make his later years unbearable by taking painkillers. It's not worth it.

He's talking about taking some radical treatment to stop his foot from hurting.

I'll put my hand up; I'm on record saying that I thought he'd break himself out of the game by the time he was 30 and that's before there was any chat of this condition he has. I wasn't alone! There would be no disgrace if he said he was going to jack it in a live life as comfortably as his body allows.

2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I'll put my hand up; I'm on record saying that I thought he'd break himself out of the game by the time he was 30 and that's before there was any chat of this condition he has. I wasn't alone! There would be no disgrace if he said he was going to jack it in a live life as comfortably as his body allows.

He's nothing to prove.

New Town Loafer
36 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

He's nothing to prove.

Exactly. Will go down as one of the most popular of all time, by far the greatest clay-courter of all time, and probably the overall second greatest of all time. On top of that I cannot see anyone ever dominating a single tournament the way he has at the French Open.

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, New Town Loafer said:

Exactly. Will go down as one of the most popular of all time, by far the greatest clay-courter of all time, and probably the overall second greatest of all time. On top of that I cannot see anyone ever dominating a single tournament the way he has at the French Open.

👍 No issue with him winning the French as he played some outstanding tennis.  Also he beat the world number on the way unlike the Aussie Open. So no complaints really.  

Edited by JamesM48

JudyJudyJudy

This is a really good interview with Monica Seles by Chris Evert.  Its a series of interviews she did last year with the all time greats.  * the two Martinas and others.    Seles really was a phenomena in her day.  A real tragedy what happened to her and she discusses the impact in the interview very candidly.  Impressed by Everts interviewing style where she actually listens.  Like any good interviewer does. 

11 hours ago, New Town Loafer said:

👍  Tennis wont be the same when, these 3 go. It's been a pleasure to see. Maybe tennis won't be the same, either.

I miss Andy 😭 no-one to support, that also happened with DC in F1.  And I lost interest altogether.

Maybe Norrie will change that, but I don't think it will, for some reason I don't get into the Darts with Peter Wright (who I really like) the same way I do Gary Anderson. I lose ma shit when he gets beat. :D 

I also don't watch much football anymore, unless it's Hearts and Scotland. I used to watch it all the time, ever world cup, and  euro every game I could, not now. I think I'll pick Argentina as my team for the WC, it worked with Italy. Saying that maybe it's cause Scotland aren't in these any more, cause I think I watched nearly every game last year.

Edited by ri Alban

Nookie Bear
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

👍  Tennis wont be the same when, these 3 go. It's been a pleasure to see. Maybe tennis won't be the same, either.

I miss Andy 😭 no-one to support, that also happened with DC in F1.  And I lost interest altogether.

Maybe Norrie will change that, but I don't think it will, for some reason I don't get into the Darts with Peter Wright (who I really like) the same way I do Gary Anderson. I lose ma shit when he gets beat. :D 

I also don't watch much football anymore, unless it's Hearts and Scotland. I used to watch it all the time, ever world cup, and  euro every game I could, not now. I think I'll pick Argentina as my team for the WC, it worked with Italy. Saying that maybe it's cause Scotland aren't in these any more, cause I think I watched nearly every game last year.

New players will come in and take over from the Big 3 although I doubt we will see anything quite so long lasting. Alcaraz is ridiculous though and could dominate. 
I like the next gen in both the menus and woman’s games and it’s interesting to see the desire they all have to win that first Slam. 
But Norrie is a bit dull to watch if I’m honest. 

As for the football, you don’t watch England games (but switch off when they take the lead)? 😏

Nookie Bear
17 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Out of the Big 3 (4?), Rafa always seemed to be the one everyone expected to go first due to his bulk and injury history. Can’t believe he is still hanging in there. 

Can’t see Federer coming back which is a shame. 

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Out of the Big 3 (4?), Rafa always seemed to be the one everyone expected to go first due to his bulk and injury history. Can’t believe he is still hanging in there. 

Can’t see Federer coming back which is a shame. 

"Big 4" is clutching at straws a little :) Murray's been excellent and done great things to stay on the coat-tails of the Big 3 but he's more realistically grouped with Wawrinka, DelPotro, perhaps Cilic in a second division. He's at the top of that second division but not quite near enough to sit with the real big three. No doubt, having played in the same era as those 3 has been a huge benefit to him and it's admirable how hard he's worked to keep near their slipstream but they continue to show their class and stretch their lead (apart from Fed, who's for the glue factory).

Nookie Bear
14 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

"Big 4" is clutching at straws a little :) Murray's been excellent and done great things to stay on the coat-tails of the Big 3 but he's more realistically grouped with Wawrinka, DelPotro, perhaps Cilic in a second division. He's at the top of that second division but not quite near enough to sit with the real big three. No doubt, having played in the same era as those 3 has been a huge benefit to him and it's admirable how hard he's worked to keep near their slipstream but they continue to show their class and stretch their lead (apart from Fed, who's for the glue factory).

I meant a few years when Murray was really challenging and World #1 and was regularly reaching Slam finals but he is no more than a curiosity these days - most of the kids i know who are really into tennis are more interested in Rafa and Novak.

The Big 3 have all spurred each other on to amazing things that they would never manage on their own.

JudyJudyJudy

Yes I was actually thinking that last week watching Nadal v Novak that as won’t see their like again so I just appreciated just watching the match , even though I didn’t like the score . It’s been a golden time for mens tennis in the last 20 years . A glimmer of hood might be Zverve coming through eventually , clearly Alcaraz and Shap might be the new “ big 3” . Still think Rudd might do great things too . At least they also have personalities too , unlike the other womens game which has deteriorated drastically . I wonder how they will fare at Wimbledon ? 

3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

New players will come in and take over from the Big 3 although I doubt we will see anything quite so long lasting. Alcaraz is ridiculous though and could dominate. 
I like the next gen in both the menus and woman’s games and it’s interesting to see the desire they all have to win that first Slam. 
But Norrie is a bit dull to watch if I’m honest. 

As for the football, you don’t watch England games (but switch off when they take the lead)? 😏

I can watch England, nae bother at world cups and the euros. I might have to turn the volume off tho. :D

Alcaraz does seem to be a very good player, whether it comes to anything, we'll see.

Nookie Bear
36 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes I was actually thinking that last week watching Nadal v Novak that as won’t see their like again so I just appreciated just watching the match , even though I didn’t like the score . It’s been a golden time for mens tennis in the last 20 years . A glimmer of hood might be Zverve coming through eventually , clearly Alcaraz and Shap might be the new “ big 3” . Still think Rudd might do great things too . At least they also have personalities too , unlike the other womens game which has deteriorated drastically . I wonder how they will fare at Wimbledon ? 

Unfortunately Zverev's personality when it comes to his partner is a real issue and i can't see him ever becoming a popular winner, although i really like his play.

A bit like golf in the post-Woods era we may see a number of different champions which may not be as marketable but appeals to me more i think.

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Unfortunately Zverev's personality when it comes to his partner is a real issue and i can't see him ever becoming a popular winner, although i really like his play.

A bit like golf in the post-Woods era we may see a number of different champions which may not be as marketable but appeals to me more i think.

Zalatoris is on the verge of making greatness at the golf, but doesn't seem to take the step.

JudyJudyJudy
28 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yes I’ve read that there might be issues of domestic abuse 

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

C9888769-D6AC-4EF4-912B-2955E208EA90.jpeg

Haha would not surprise me.

I think if we lived for another 200 years Nadal's RG record would still be intact. It's quite unbelievable that someone could dominate one tournament as he has. Not sure what it says about the opposition tbh.

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

I meant a few years when Murray was really challenging and World #1 and was regularly reaching Slam finals but he is no more than a curiosity these days - most of the kids i know who are really into tennis are more interested in Rafa and Novak.

The Big 3 have all spurred each other on to amazing things that they would never manage on their own.

With hindsight, that was really quite shortlived. I know that he was in and about the top 3 for a couple of years leading up to that autumn when he pulled out all the stops and pretty much broke himself to get to #1. Without doubt a phenomenal athlete and his dedication to his sport is second to (almost) none. But, really, it only goes to show how far ahead the other three are/were that, when Andy couldn't keep it up, he wasn't replaced by a Thiem or any of the other promising players of the time but by Djokovic, Federer and Nadal!

46 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

C9888769-D6AC-4EF4-912B-2955E208EA90.jpeg

He's going for the hair transplant, then? :D

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

Haha would not surprise me.

I think if we lived for another 200 years Nadal's RG record would still be intact. It's quite unbelievable that someone could dominate one tournament as he has. Not sure what it says about the opposition tbh.

Well As I’ve said before you either excel at clay or you don’t . He has . Martina N didn’t yet she won 9 Wimbledon’s . Many of the greats never won the French . And vice Versa with Wimbledon and grass . Kuerton won 3 French yet barely made a ripple in other slams