Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )

Maroon Sailor

Nookie Bear
17 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Time will tell but I cannot see anything outstanding about her . Seles , Graf , Hingis , Evert et al were way above her league at that age 

You’re comparing her with 4 of the greatest players ever, and all from bygone eras. 

Ash Barty didn’t win a slam until she was 23

How many Slams had Serena won by the age of 20? One. 

How many had Swiatek won by 19? One. 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brits of varying ages are doing well.  At least 4 into the 3rd round.  Not even including the two major winners.  Hopefully at least 1 will continue a run into the 16s and 8s.

Changing over from a Brit to watch another borefest from Nadal 🙄

**** you BBC1...thank goodness I don't pay the licence!

3 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Changing over from a Brit to watch another borefest from Nadal 🙄

**** you BBC1...thank goodness I don't pay the licence!

Red button / iPlayer it

Just now, Jeff said:

Red button / iPlayer it

Oh I could watch it on my phone but I shouldn't need to! 😛

Just now, neilnunb said:

Oh I could watch it on my phone but I shouldn't need to! 😛

Yep. Think Gauff is on after Nadal too which is a shame.

This has all the makings of a cracker 

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

No slams , not even a fluke one 

You said you'd never rated here and she was inconsistent. Her record doesn't merit that comment. Record proves she's not inconsistent, just that she struggles to get over line in Grand Slam. Her consistency is what has got her current ranking and previously to No1.

Not only do you not know anything about tennis, it appears you don't know English very well. 

By what your saying now, that a career is defined by Grand Slams, then Raducanu has had a great career as she has already won one. Oh wait, you slagged her off earlier on.

You're all over the place

Jeffros Furios
29 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

You said you'd never rated here and she was inconsistent. Her record doesn't merit that comment. Record proves she's not inconsistent, just that she struggles to get over line in Grand Slam. Her consistency is what has got her current ranking and previously to No1.

Not only do you not know anything about tennis, it appears you don't know English very well. 

By what your saying now, that a career is defined by Grand Slams, then Raducanu has had a great career as she has already won one. Oh wait, you slagged her off earlier on.

So what you're  saying is James slavers a load of pish :gok:

4 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

De Minaur is barely missing anything still, but Draper's level has dropped off. Still a high quality match.

De Minaur looks a very decent player

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I know a lot about tennis . Rad slam win was a fluke . No doubt about it . We shall see in a few years how she does . Pliskova has been playing for years and only won 16 tournaments did you say ? She’s a good player on her day but is mainly a bottle merchant . 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Jeffros Furios said:

So what you're  saying is James slavers a load of pish :gok:

B5954470-3DA7-401B-A6BF-ECD2160863F8.gif

12544447-C253-4337-AD0E-C5FD90FA4CD4.gif

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Didn’t realise that de Minaur hings oot the back of Katie Boulter.

Dear lord what an expression. 😂😂

Malinga the Swinga
31 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Screenshot_20220630-215753_Samsung Internet.jpg

Amazing Mac could get it so wrong when our tennis expert above knows better.

Thanks he knows about tennis but sprouts shite, and contradicts himself.

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Amazing Mac could get it so wrong when our tennis expert above knows better.

Thanks he knows about tennis but sprouts shite, and contradicts himself.

U been drinking ? 😎

Dusk_Till_Dawn
On 30/06/2022 at 08:26, Cade said:

Bursd tennis is mostly "rally until unforced error" (usually hitting the net) or double faults.

An actual winning shot is a rarity.

It's piiiiiiiiiish.

They’re going to have to get a strategy together for women’s tennis because it does appear to be floundering. No-one seems to be able to sustain any form or confidence and arguably their biggest name, Osaka, is drifting away from it. Minus a dominant Serena, it’s got no stars.

Feels like the men’s game has been carrying it for ages now, especially in the Federer-Nadal-Djokovic era. 

Malinga the Swinga

Pleased she served it out. Not sure nerves would have coped if she'd been broken again.

Unseeded German in next round so another Watson win not out of the question.

Near the best she's played,  albeit her opponent fell in a hole for 5 games.  More importantly for her,  that's the best she's closed out a match under the cosh.  Not always her strong point.  

She has half a chance of a pathway through to the semis.  And who knows which other seeds might drop out?

Malinga the Swinga
2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

They’re going to have to get a strategy together for women’s tennis because it does appear to be floundering. No-one seems to be able to sustain any form or confidence and arguably their biggest name, Osaka, is drifting away from it. Minus a dominant Serena, it’s got no stars.

Feels like the men’s game has been carrying it for ages now, especially in the Federer-Nadal-Djokovic era. 

It's better than watching giant men smashing serve after serve down. Era of superstar men almost finished and there's no dominant force coming through.

Quite enjoy some of womens games as more touch and finesse involved.

JudyJudyJudy
23 minutes ago, jonesy said:

The longer Heather stays on our screens, the better :) 

She is very pretty . 

I hope Liam Broady and Cammie get through for much the same reasons .

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Yes it’s floundering really . Any great player is consistently , consistent . Most on the womens circuit are not , therefore there isn’t the chance for entertaining rivalries / personalities which the crowd invested in like a few years back , Martina v Chris , Steffi v Monica , Serena v Justine . I honestly can’t think of any similar rivalry at the present time . 

A few of the decent players may start being more consistent like Halep or Sabalanka . They can easily give Swiatek a run for her money . Gauff is also getting stronger too . 

JudyJudyJudy

Well said Andrew castle “ Novak is the greatest tennis player “ of all time . Even henman almost agreeing 

8 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Well said Andrew castle “ Novak is the greatest tennis player “ of all time . Even henman almost agreeing 

Opinions are like Andrew Castles, everyone has one.

JudyJudyJudy
16 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Opinions are like Andrew Castles, everyone has one.

Well he’s a tennis player so I’ll listen to his views more than tartan rabble rousers on this ! 

2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Well he’s a tennis player so I’ll listen to his views more than tartan rabble rousers on this ! 

He's to tennis, what Happy Gilmore is to golf. 

And keep your insults to yourself, or I'll indulge in some about you.

Edited by ri Alban

2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Oh...so does this apply to their views on Raducanu as opposed to yours then? 🤣😛

And Andy Murray says it's Rafa, so I'll agree with a real tennis player, not 'Real Tennis'player.

Edited by ri Alban

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, neilnunb said:

Oh...so does this apply to their views on Raducanu as opposed to yours then? 🤣😛

The views from Mac were about what Rad might do in the future . It’s not like the evidence we have we Novak ! Not just in slams but in career titles . He a far more all round player . Far better 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

And Andy Murray says it's Rafa, so I'll agree with a real tennis player.

Andy Murray knows Jack shit 

1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

The views from Mac were about what Rad might do in the future . It’s not like the evidence we have we Novak ! Not just in slams but in career titles . He a far more all round player . Far better 

I agree about Djokovic but you can't pick and choose.

I also think Andrew Castle is an utter arsehole and was a shite player. 😁

6 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Going with the expert opinion James?  Like Linda Bauld and Jason Leitch?  Oh wait...

Just now, neilnunb said:

I agree about Djokovic but you can't pick and choose.

I also think Andrew Castle is an utter arsehole and was a shite player. 😁

Andy Murray knows nothing. Wait til I tell him he's a big fan of Serena.

Has Novax told the Generals to tell his Serbian pal to let him win or else his family will be executed.

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Going with the expert opinion James?  Like Linda Bauld and Jason Leitch?  Oh wait...

Sone experts are right sone just crawl up someone’s arse . They both did . Mr Castle has no reasons to crawl in with Novak . 

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Has Novax told the Generals to tell his Serbian pal to let him win or else his family will be executed.

Always count on you to lower the tone to that level .