Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )

Maroon Sailor

JudyJudyJudy
20 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

With hindsight, that was really quite shortlived. I know that he was in and about the top 3 for a couple of years leading up to that autumn when he pulled out all the stops and pretty much broke himself to get to #1. Without doubt a phenomenal athlete and his dedication to his sport is second to (almost) none. But, really, it only goes to show how far ahead the other three are/were that, when Andy couldn't keep it up, he wasn't replaced by a Thiem or any of the other promising players of the time but by Djokovic, Federer and Nadal!

He's going for the hair transplant, then? :D

Well that’s the only error in the pic I think . He’s def losing it 😂

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Raducanu with the trainer on already, only 3 games into her first match at the Nottingham Open

::facepaw::

This on TV?Can't seem to find it.

I P Knightley
13 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Raducanu injured at Nottingham.

Whatever is going on with her body, I don't think she has a long term future on the tour, sadly. :( 

At some point, it'll become mental as well as physical. 

Very Laura Robson-y.

She's daft (or her Dad is) trying to go without a coach. You see the teams that the top players have around them; she needs strength & conditioning; nutrition; psychology support as well as how to hit a ball hard and accurately. I don't know what her provisions are for that but the top players have coaches to coordinate all of that.

PortyJambo

She's having treatment at every change of ends, only a matter of time before she packs it in.

Edit - and there it is, another retirement

2 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Very Laura Robson-y.

She's daft (or her Dad is) trying to go without a coach. You see the teams that the top players have around them; she needs strength & conditioning; nutrition; psychology support as well as how to hit a ball hard and accurately. I don't know what her provisions are for that but the top players have coaches to coordinate all of that.

Seen an interview with her this morning and she seems more interested in getting herself on the front covers of fashion magazines.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

More excuses incoming.

She’s going to make a lifetime celebrity career out of one fluke win 

I P Knightley
51 minutes ago, JWL said:

Seen an interview with her this morning and she seems more interested in getting herself on the front covers of fashion magazines.

Also very Laura Robson-y.

I think Raducanu has mopped up 8 major sponsorship deals following her Flushing Meadows win. Fair play; someone like Naomi Osaka makes about 5-10 times the money off court that she does on-court and it's essentially a piece of piss. If it were me, I'd be trading on my good looks as soon and as much as possible. Much better than schlepping around tennis clubs twatting a ball back & forth all day, every day. Especially if you've been bullied into it by pushy parents throughout your whole childhood. She's done well enough to retire and live comfortably if she so chooses.

I P Knightley
53 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

More excuses incoming.

Sue Barker and Annabel Croft each achieved less, albeit over slightly longer careers, and they've done very nicely out of it.

2 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Sue Barker and Annabel Croft each achieved less, albeit over slightly longer careers, and they've done very nicely out of it.

sue barker winning the french and getting to the semis in both aussie and wimbledon for me is achieving more than ER has done so far

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, PortyJambo said:

Raducanu with the trainer on already, only 3 games into her first match at the Nottingham Open

::facepaw::

Unreal !  Never fails 

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

More excuses incoming.

It was a fluke win . No doubt about it 

17 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Sue Barker was relatively successful actually . She won the French which is no easy feat and semis in other slams too . Was also quite an aggressive player despite her demure presentation . Great forehand . 

14 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

sue barker winning the french and getting to the semis in both aussie and wimbledon for me is achieving more than ER has done so far

Yep 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

She clearly makes zero effort to play through the pain. Look at the length of certain matches, especially on the men’s side. They push themselves well beyond the limit and drag themselves through it. Raducanu gets a few games in and it’s ‘ah, my back/leg/whatever’, and even worse if she’s losing. About time she was getting called out for 

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

'scuse my brainfart. It's been one of them days.

Overall, though, the point is that tennis players don't need to go off winning multiple grand slams or masters events over a lengthy career. The ones that do are made of different stuff.

3 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Sue Barker won the French open.

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Unreal !  Never fails 

It was a fluke win . No doubt about it 

Sue Barker was relatively successful actually . She won the French which is no easy feat and semis in other slams too . Was also quite an aggressive player despite her demure presentation . Great forehand . 

Yep 

And she put up with Cliff no wanting his Nat king.

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

And she put up with Cliff no wanting his Nat king.

A gruesome twosome if ever there was....incredible people actually believed  they had a " romance" :) 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
5 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I think Raducanu has mopped up 8 major sponsorship deals following her Flushing Meadows win. Fair play; someone like Naomi Osaka makes about 5-10 times the money off court that she does on-court and it's essentially a piece of piss. If it were me, I'd be trading on my good looks as soon and as much as possible. Much better than schlepping around tennis clubs twatting a ball back & forth all day, every day. Especially if you've been bullied into it by pushy parents throughout your whole childhood. She's done well enough to retire and live comfortably if she so chooses.

Osaka let the cat out the bag when she did that feeble ‘I don’t want to do press conferences’ mental health stuff. She clearly isn’t serious about tennis. She wants it to further her lifestyle but it seems to be that when it comes to passion, she’s got very little.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
13 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Laura Robson’s surgery on her wrist didn’t work - career upward spiral over

albeit she didn’t keep herself as fit in other ways as she should have - she pretty much knew her career was goosed after the wrist injury and probably lost a bit of heart/focus

a proper physical injury

hopefully ER can get back to winning ways soon - obviously going through a tough time which was always likely after the high of winning the US open unless she was just going to keep winning /reaching finals which was unlikely

I P Knightley
4 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

Laura Robson’s surgery on her wrist didn’t work - career upward spiral over

albeit she didn’t keep herself as fit in other ways as she should have - she pretty much knew her career was goosed after the wrist injury and probably lost a bit of heart/focus

a proper physical injury

hopefully ER can get back to winning ways soon - obviously going through a tough time which was always likely after the high of winning the US open unless she was just going to keep winning /reaching finals which was unlikely

True, the comparisons aren't entirely parallel but, of the two (and without knowing more), Raducanu's is more of a concern as it's not an obvious injury. Yes, she's still a relative beginner but she's a full-time professional who is able to afford the very best coaching and conditioning support. She shouldn't be in the position where she only lasts 7 games of a fairly low key match. If there's an underlying issue, her 'team' ought to have identified that in training; if it was a big old slip & fall, it would make sense but "it just started to hurt" is not a good place to be.

She needs a team around her but I'm not sure that her dad sees it that obviously.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
38 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

True, the comparisons aren't entirely parallel but, of the two (and without knowing more), Raducanu's is more of a concern as it's not an obvious injury. Yes, she's still a relative beginner but she's a full-time professional who is able to afford the very best coaching and conditioning support. She shouldn't be in the position where she only lasts 7 games of a fairly low key match. If there's an underlying issue, her 'team' ought to have identified that in training; if it was a big old slip & fall, it would make sense but "it just started to hurt" is not a good place to be.

She needs a team around her but I'm not sure that her dad sees it that obviously.

Emma just getting the price right before taking the bookies to the cleaners at Wimbledon 😎

132goals1958
20 hours ago, milky_26 said:

Agree, Without wishing to diminish her achievement in winning the US open ( without dropping a set) it was a non vintage year in terms of the quality of the field. I can see her being a one hit wonder. Not her fault but an MBE and sports personality of the year was an absolute joke. Smart young lady who happened to be in the right place at the right time. I genuinely hope she proves me wrong.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

Agree, Without wishing to diminish her achievement in winning the US open ( without dropping a set) it was a non vintage year in terms of the quality of the field. I can see her being a one hit wonder. Not her fault but an MBE and sports personality of the year was an absolute joke. Smart young lady who happened to be in the right place at the right time. I genuinely hope she proves me wrong.

These things always lack perspective. The MBE is particularly ridiculous but they’re easy wins for the honours system. I wonder if in 20 years time people will even know who she is or what she did 

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

It was a dreadful draw at last years open . Womens tennis has plummeted quality  in the last few years . All very sad really . 

132goals1958
39 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

It was a dreadful draw at last years open . Womens tennis has plummeted quality  in the last few years . All very sad really . 

She did well to beat Belinda Bencic who was seeded but generally most of the top players were absent as a result of covid.

New Town Loafer
On 07/06/2022 at 04:15, ri Alban said:

👍  Tennis wont be the same when, these 3 go. It's been a pleasure to see. Maybe tennis won't be the same, either.

We have been completely spoilt!

I also miss Andy. He wasn't quite at the level of the other 3 but he was a tremendous player and an absolute credit to himself, his family, Scotland and Britain. Great boy. 

JudyJudyJudy
36 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

She did well to beat Belinda Bencic who was seeded but generally most of the top players were absent as a result of covid.

Bencic was seeded 11 which was the Highest seed she bet 

9 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

We have been completely spoilt!

I also miss Andy. He wasn't quite at the level of the other 3 but he was a tremendous player and an absolute credit to himself, his family, Scotland and Britain. Great boy. 

He has indeed.

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, 132goals1958 said:

Sakkari was seeded #17 but is a much better player than that.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
8 hours ago, jonesy said:

What’s the odds on a first round exit? :( 

Dearly want her to do well. My elder son was very interested in seeing a mixed-race kid with Chinese background (just like him) doing so well at the US Open, it’s sad to see her struggle. Hopefully she takes a bit more ownership of her tennis career and puts the right bits and pieces into place to see her stay at the top end of the game. 

by age she’s almost still a child - I know what you mean but it would be no surprise if she wasn’t really old enough or experienced enough to take ownership of her career - she’s probably quite reliant on her team — assembled deliberately or by accident I would imagine how the next wee while goes is very dependent on the wider team

also she could do absolutely f-all in any tournament for the next 2-3 years and still have plenty time to win 10 grand slams

i can see how people are ‘worried’ it’s all going pear-shaped but I think it’s early days in the bigger picture

obviously would be encouraging if she had a half decent wimbledon rather than pulling up lame after tripping over a strawberry

also good to see she’s had a positive influence on your son she’s now letting him know life’s a bitch too (just in case you have let him know already 🙉)

Edited by MoncurMacdonaldMercer

Malinga the Swinga
On 08/06/2022 at 14:21, 132goals1958 said:

Not her fault. She beat everyone she faced without losing a set. There were top players there, to say otherwise is churlish.

No wonder players avoid social media as the criticism she receives is unreal.

132goals1958
39 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Not her fault. She beat everyone she faced without losing a set. There were top players there, to say otherwise is churlish.

No wonder players avoid social media as the criticism she receives is unreal.

Not churlish at all. If you read one of my earlier posts I genuinely wished her well and I hope she lives up to the hype. 

2 hours ago, neilnunb said:

Murray beat the Aussie gobshite to reach the final.

The final is on Free Sports tomorrow evening Freeview Channel 828. Not sure if live or replay. 

37 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The final is on Free Sports tomorrow evening Freeview Channel 828. Not sure if live or replay. 

It'll be a replay, final starts at 2pm from looking at the schedule online. I don't think the Stuttgart Open has been on TV at all this week, from what I've seen it's only been the Nottingham Open.

25 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

It'll be a replay, final starts at 2pm from looking at the schedule online. I don't think the Stuttgart Open has been on TV at all this week, from what I've seen it's only been the Nottingham Open.

i think it should be on amazon prime 

4 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i think it should be on amazon prime 

They've not had it, I checked earlier in the week and they just the Nottingham Open and women's Libema Open (think that's in the Netherlands?)

Edited by PortyJambo

If Murray can win the final, he'll be up to about #35 in the rankings, and with Medvedev and Rublev banned from Wimbledon, and others likely missing it through injury, he'll have a good chance of being one of the 32 seeds for it. Which, of course, would result in him missing a possible early round match against one of the top seeds.

Edited by PortyJambo

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Probably give the gig to the inane fat feminist who covers half of Prime video's tennis. Whittaker. It would be the PC choice and she'd bully the BBC into making it.

who is Whittaker ?  Sue Barker was a good host and she will be missed. I like her. 

I P Knightley
16 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

who is Whittaker ?  Sue Barker was a good host and she will be missed. I like her. 

She is the tennis presenter on prime video who looks like Mr Blobby's understudy. A real fan girl.

Ryan Peniston doing well at Queens, beat Casper Ruud in the 1st round and just won the first set 6-0 in his second round match, so looking good for a quarter final spot.

Hadn't really heard of him really, and at 26 years old, thought he was just one of those journeyman tennis players, but he took the same route as Norrie in going to US college, so would have turned pro later than most tennis players.

Sure he'll have taken a bit of a ribbing for that name though in his life. Reminds me of Top Gear

Sponsored by Larsen's Biscuits and Peniston Oil | Top Gear | Know Your Meme

Had a crack at the Top Gear BMW from the 24 hour endurance race episode. :  r/forza

Nookie Bear
On 13/06/2022 at 09:48, I P Knightley said:

She is the tennis presenter on prime video who looks like Mr Blobby's understudy. A real fan girl.

Harsh 😂

Doesn’t help that she is usually paired with the ultra-skinny Daniela Hantuchiva (who is also an excellent presenter)

I P Knightley
On 16/06/2022 at 17:01, PortyJambo said:

Ryan Peniston doing well at Queens, beat Casper Ruud in the 1st round and just won the first set 6-0 in his second round match, so looking good for a quarter final spot.

Hadn't really heard of him really, and at 26 years old, thought he was just one of those journeyman tennis players, but he took the same route as Norrie in going to US college, so would have turned pro later than most tennis players.

Sure he'll have taken a bit of a ribbing for that name though in his life. Reminds me of Top Gear

Sponsored by Larsen's Biscuits and Peniston Oil | Top Gear | Know Your Meme

Had a crack at the Top Gear BMW from the 24 hour endurance race episode. :  r/forza

My mates in the tennis world refuse to pronounce it properly. If it was pronounced the way they say it, It would have 2 Ns in the middle