Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )

Maroon Sailor

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Get them to condemn Putin and the invasion on live tv. They don't,  they can't play. Simple.

If I were them, I would be concerned about family that I've left behind back in the US, back in the US, back in the USSR following any such condemnation. Probably find my Auntie Elena banished to the Siberian saltmines or sump'n.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Utter bullshit banning individuals unless they have openly came out and supported the Russian war effort. On the contrary, Med and Rublev have done the opposite. 

You ban ban Russia from the Davis Cup, Nations cup etc but individuals shouldn't be targeted for the sole reason they happen to be a certain nationality.

• 2 weeks later...

Pathetic decision. Ban their flag or whatnot but they are individuals none of whom have supported the war, quite the opposite in fact.

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

Wimbledon bans Russian and Belarusian players.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/61161016

agreement-applause.gif

Pressure needs to be put on Russia from all angles, and that includes not allowing them to enjoy success in sports, no matter how harsh it may be for the individuals who would be competing.

The more the Russian public question wtf is going on and why this is happening, the better.

24 minutes ago, jonesy said:

It's like banning black players from American football because of OJ Simpson, or all players called Joe because of Newell's red card. Medvedev et al don't compete for Russia other than at the Davis Cup. They compete for themselves.

If it had been Switzerland invading (I know, I know...) another country, ol' Roger would still be getting the red carpet treatment.

It really isn't.

It's war and innocent civilians unavoidably suffer the consequences. I'd argue that not being able to play in a tennis competition is somewhat less harsh than being killed, raped or having your home destroyed, as has happened to hundred of thousands of Ukranians.

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

It really isn't.

It's war and innocent civilians unavoidably suffer the consequences. I'd argue that not being able to play in a tennis competition is somewhat less harsh than being killed, raped or having your home destroyed, as has happened to hundred of thousands of Ukranians.

So are you responsible for Blair et al invading Iraq ? Supporting Israel in its genocide ? Or only support Govt response when it suits ie Ukraine ? This decision is petty and vindictive . It has zero impact on Russia foreign policy and only harms decent players who are in no way involved with their Govt decisions on the international stage . 

JudyJudyJudy
35 minutes ago, jonesy said:

It's like banning black players from American football because of OJ Simpson, or all players called Joe because of Newell's red card. Medvedev et al don't compete for Russia other than at the Davis Cup. They compete for themselves.

If it had been Switzerland invading (I know, I know...) another country, ol' Roger would still be getting the red carpet treatment.

🖖

14 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

So are you responsible for Blair et al invading Iraq ? Supporting Israel in its genocide ? Or only support Govt response when it suits ie Ukraine ? This decision is petty and vindictive . It has zero impact on Russia foreign policy and only harms decent players who are in no way involved with their Govt decisions on the international stage . 

Where have I said those players are responsible? I said they are innocent civilians.

Banning those players isn't about punishing them as individuals. They are unfortunate collateral damage as part of a wider campaign to sway public opinion in Russia against Putin and his actions.

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Where have I said those players are responsible? I said they are innocent civilians.

Banning those players isn't about punishing them as individuals. They are unfortunate collateral damage as part of a wider campaign to sway public opinion in Russia against Putin and his actions.

Sorry you are completely wrong on this issue . 

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Sorry you are completely wrong on this issue . 

You think this is about punishing them as individuals?

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

You think this is about punishing them as individuals?

Of course it’s punishing them as individuals . They are individuals who happen to be Russian . When did a citizen become explicitly responsible for their Govt policies ? In particular in a country like Russia where one assumes most citizens have no say in their countries policies . To be honest it’s not far off the same in the West really . It’s a spiteful response from the elitist shitehole of the “ all England club” 

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Of course it’s punishing them as individuals . They are individuals who happen to be Russian . When did a citizen become explicitly responsible for their Govt policies ? In particular in a country like Russia where one assumes most citizens have no say in their countries policies . To be honest it’s not far off the same in the West really . It’s a spiteful response from the elitist shitehole of the “ all England club” 

You seem to have missed the word 'about'.

JudyJudyJudy
13 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Andy Murray, Dan Evans and Cam Norrie banned from the US Open due to reparations demanded by Biden for the war of 1812.

Don’t encourage Biden 😂

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

I tell you what really would have sent a big FU to Putin, would be to welcome Medvedev, Rublev and all the Russkis with open arms, telling them we stand with Ukraine and we stand with freedom, the freedom for people to go about their business no matter their country of origin or nationality. Instead, Wimbers has chosen to promote division.

Russia is already acting like it has the freedom to go about its business however it wants, no matter the country.

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I tell you what really would have sent a big FU to Putin, would be to welcome Medvedev, Rublev and all the Russkis with open arms, telling them we stand with Ukraine and we stand with freedom, the freedom for people to go about their business no matter their country of origin or nationality. Instead, Wimbers has chosen to promote division.

Very true Jonesy. That's not in the spirt of spite and venon from some internationalist's it seems. Its " them" against " us" there is no middle ground. Nothing it seems. 

JudyJudyJudy
9 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I hear we've sent Peter Haring to an internment camp for failing to do more to oppose the Anschluss.

LOL 

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Ach, it keeps it simple. You don't want too much nuance when you're trying to keep on the side of idiots, it just confused them.

I, for one, am glad this Putin puppet with a racket is kept far from these shores...

https://www.indiannation.in/russias-no-1-tennis-womens-player-anastasia-pavlyuchenkova-urges-end-to-war-with-ukraine/

As ive said before Im always suspicious when the mass media tells me who to hate. 

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Ach, it keeps it simple. You don't want too much nuance when you're trying to keep on the side of idiots, it just confused them.

I, for one, am glad this Putin puppet with a racket is kept far from these shores...

https://www.indiannation.in/russias-no-1-tennis-womens-player-anastasia-pavlyuchenkova-urges-end-to-war-with-ukraine/

Be interesting to here the thoughts of other tennis players regarding this issue.  They were loud enough during the Nole debacle at the Aussie open in Jan. Doubt many will have the courage or gumptious to challenge it.

I P Knightley

Whilst I broadly disagree with the act of banning individuals who are not there representing their country, this hasn't half pissed off the Kremlin. So it can't be all bad!

8 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Whilst I broadly disagree with the act of banning individuals who are not there representing their country, this hasn't half pissed off the Kremlin. So it can't be all bad!

Whose country are they representing, then?  Every player is representing their country.

New Town Loafer
5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Whose country are they representing, then?  Every player is representing their country.

They are representing themselves, apart from in the Davis Cup or Olympics where they are representing a team/their country.

On 06/04/2022 at 13:03, ri Alban said:

Get them to condemn Putin and the invasion on live tv. They don't,  they can't play. Simple.

I'm uncomfortable with that. 

Doing that puts them and their families at risk of repercussions in Russia. 

But people like Djokovic talking about keeping 'politics' out of sport are also misguided. War isn't exactly politics. It's a totally different reaction going on. People everywhere want to exclude Russians from everything. 

It's unfortunate. But war produces strong reactions. 

I P Knightley

It's been years since a player's nationality accompanied their name on the Wimbledon scoreboard. They don't play to represent their country.

A good example is the doubles: a pair of players from the same country is very much the exception. If, for the sake of argument, Joe Salisbury had partnered Medvedev for the last 18 months and is now sitting at #1 World ranking, this ruling would force him to break up his team. 

In the football, Russian clubs are barred from international competition. What's the ruling if there's a Russian player turning out for a top German, Spanish or other European team? 

JudyJudyJudy
18 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

So he won’t be out for a while ? Silly man . Greed 

On 20/04/2022 at 18:14, JamesM48 said:

As ive said before Im always suspicious when the mass media tells me who to hate. 

:notsure:

Pretty shite putting the lad in prison. He's hardly dangerous, yet some wee prick with a social worker will be walking about with an ankle bracelet, after putting someone's Son, or Daughter in a coffin by stabbing them.

JudyJudyJudy
6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Pretty shite putting the lad in prison. He's hardly dangerous, yet some wee prick with a social worker will be walking about with an ankle bracelet, after putting someone's Son, or Daughter in a coffin by stabbing them.

Financial crimes trump violent crimes it seems . Disgusting really . 

JudyJudyJudy

Murray v Theim at the Madrid  open just now.  Theim clearly fitter and it shows.  

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Murray in control and about to take the win.

Yes i spoke too soon. TBF Theim is just back from long term sickie. Still an impressive win if he wins it. 

I P Knightley
48 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Just for any Wimbledon officials looking in.

I see that there were American, Canadian, British and Australian participants in the tournament in 2002. Similarly, there were American, British, Australian and Polish participants in 2003. 

What am I looking at here? 

JudyJudyJudy
37 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Great win for Murray v Shapovalov.

One in the eye for his detractors...

I watched it last night. He was very much on form. Those disguised drop shots were sensational.  However I've seen Shap play much better. He def had a bad day at the office. However Andy was on almost top form. Think he even cracked a smile. :) Alcaraz through and ofcourse the big man Novak,

Edited by JamesM48

AlimOzturk
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

I watched it last night. He was very much on form. Those disguised drop shots were sensational.  However I've seen Shap play much better. He def had a bad day at the office. However Andy was on almost top form. Think he even cracked a smile. :) Alcaraz through and ofcourse the big man Novak,

For a guy with a plastic hip great performance and effort. 

JudyJudyJudy

Good win for Dan evans today . One tie break in final set against Bastista 

PortyJambo

Started watching the Norrie-Isner game after the Evans one, but have switched it off now. Isner is such a boring tennis player to watch. Don't think there's been a rally more than a few shots in the whole match so far.

JudyJudyJudy
32 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Started watching the Norrie-Isner game after the Evans one, but have switched it off now. Isner is such a boring tennis player to watch. Don't think there's been a rally more than a few shots in the whole match so far.

So true that kind of player nearly killed the mens game . Nowt redeeming about it 

I P Knightley

Norrie going from playing that massive lunk, Isner, to playing Alcaraz really is going from the ridiculous to the sublime. That could be worth watching tomorrow.