Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

She was seeded 17 so should have got to the 4th round. Therefore she bombed out a few rounds earlier than where she should have .  She did not justify her seeding maybe. 

Anyway she is an above average player with some good shots..(precise flat groundstrokes)  But she has still to improve in other areas., if she does at all. Yes she's 19 so still got a few years ahead of her although Monica Seles had won 8 slams by the time she was 19,  However she was the exception to the rule. 

As ive said before she had an easy route to the US Open final and consequently won it. Since then I think she has only won one other title and been bombed out a few at the first round. Only recently in a pre tournament before Oz 

" Personal drive" may be helpful but its playing all round tennis which wins matches. So for the time being Ill reserve my judgement about her but I honestly think she has been over hyped by the British press ( yet again with a Brit unless your Andy Murray).  

4th round is the last 16, so she only went out 1 round earlier than her seeding while struggling with an injury.

A Boy Named Crow

I've only got into tennis since meeting my wife, but honestly, tennis is played by a bunch of pansies, eh? 

The crowd is hostile? Knuckle down, get on with your job,  don't greet about it, like a child 😂

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jan/22/australian-open-fans-urged-to-show-respect-as-nick-kyrgios-makes-locker-room-fight-claim

5 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

I've only got into tennis since meeting my wife, but honestly, tennis is played by a bunch of pansies, eh? 

The crowd is hostile? Knuckle down, get on with your job,  don't greet about it, like a child 😂

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jan/22/australian-open-fans-urged-to-show-respect-as-nick-kyrgios-makes-locker-room-fight-claim

do people still use terms like "pansies " ? dearie me.  

image-23-10-21-06-55-5.gif

A Boy Named Crow
13 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

do people still use terms like "pansies " ? dearie me.  

Really not sure what you're getting at here.  Are pansies not delicate, easily damaged flowers anymore? 

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

2 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Really not sure what you're getting at here.  Are pansies not delicate, easily damaged flowers anymore? 

image-23-10-21-06-55.jpeg

Well it looks like Nadal is having an easy route to winning this. if he does ofcourse.

Shapovalov beat Zverev in straight sets.  A relatively big upset really. 

Carreno Busta beat Berretinni ( gorgeous Berretinni i should say :) ) 

Nice to see Monflis through. 

Madison Keys easily beat Paula Badosa ( a surprise)

Barbara Krejcikova easily beat Azarenko. 

18 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Well it looks like Nadal is having an easy route to winning this. if he does ofcourse.

Happy to report I made an error reading the Berrentinni score. He won in straight sets.. So thats great news

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Not necessarily. Madison Keys is another of those players who has all the potential to be a long-term top 5 player but, like Sloane Stephens, seems to blow hot and cold, maybe with fewer hot than cold.

Keys is in her best form in a long time. That said nobody is beating Barty...not a chance.

I'd absolutely love Monfils to do it on the men's side. 

8 minutes ago, Homme said:

Keys is in her best form in a long time. That said nobody is beating Barty...not a chance.

I'd absolutely love Monfils to do it on the men's side. 

Yes I would love him to win too . 

I just felt Badosa seemed the in form player . 

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes I would love him to win too . 

I just felt Badosa seemed the in form player . 

Totally get you and had I had a bet I'd have probably backed Badosa too because I've just been waiting on Keys to fall away. Credit to her she is looking good.

Barty hasn't been broken in 62 service games :wow:

I have had a little bet tonight on the following:-

Cressy / Med - over 30.5 games

Cilic

Halep -5.5 games

Cirstea +5.5 games

I've not had the best AO. I smashed the bookies in the warm up tournaments but they are getting the better of me this week! Playing with their money at least.

2 hours ago, Homme said:

Totally get you and had I had a bet I'd have probably backed Badosa too because I've just been waiting on Keys to fall away. Credit to her she is looking good.

Barty hasn't been broken in 62 service games :wow:

I have had a little bet tonight on the following:-

Cressy / Med - over 30.5 games

Cilic

Halep -5.5 games

Cirstea +5.5 games

I've not had the best AO. I smashed the bookies in the warm up tournaments but they are getting the better of me this week! Playing with their money at least.

I dont gamble. However those bets look not too bad. Good luck 

8 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I dont gamble. However those bets look not too bad. Good luck 

Again not much luck. Medvedev match landed. Cilic capitulated in sets 2 and 3 and couldn't recover. Halep out in a shocker.

If Cirstea one comes in i'll break even. 

Edited by Homme

1 hour ago, Homme said:

Again not much luck. Medvedev match landed. Cilic capitulated in sets 2 and 3 and couldn't recover. Halep out in a shocker.

If Cirstea one comes in i'll break even. 

Oh that Halep is absolutely hopeless . She is totally inconsistent. Others results predicted.  Its a third set for Cirstea it seems. 

I P Knightley
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Oh that Halep is absolutely hopeless . She is totally inconsistent. Others results predicted.  Its a third set for Cirstea it seems. 

Here's James with the criticism of a perfectly good player yet some say she doesn't have her knockers any more.

(Sorry - I'll continue using that line at least once per season. It never gets old.)

8 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Here's James with the criticism of a perfectly good player yet some say she doesn't have her knockers any more.

(Sorry - I'll continue using that line at least once per season. It never gets old.)

LOL I'm just disappointed as I really like her. She is a great player but she always seems to get the heave unexpectedly. Im not really one of her knockers........... :)

Thoughts on the next lot of games:- 

Nadal v Shapovalov - Nadals to lose. Should win in straights / 3-1 at the worst. Lot of hype over Shap but he's not a match for an in form Rafa.

Monfils v Berrettini - tie of the night / morning. This will be on at wake up time so miss it at your peril. I'm backing the unstoppable train Monfils but reality is this wil likely be close and go either way. The Berrettini of rounds 1 and 2 gets gubbed here but if he plays like he did in the last round he can win.

Krejcikova v Keys - Normally I'd be all over the former however Keys just keeps producing the goods. I'd hate to predict a winner but expect plenty games / tie breaks and a deciding set. I'd like Keys to win.

Barty v Pegula - Barty in straight sets. She's ****ing ruthless and Pegula ain't touching her here. Barty hasn't been broken in 62 service games. Said it previously but as soon as Osaka left the tournament ( and now Azarenka imo) her name is on the trophy if it wasn't already.

43 minutes ago, Homme said:

Thoughts on the next lot of games:- 

Nadal v Shapovalov - Nadals to lose. Should win in straights / 3-1 at the worst. Lot of hype over Shap but he's not a match for an in form Rafa.

Monfils v Berrettini - tie of the night / morning. This will be on at wake up time so miss it at your peril. I'm backing the unstoppable train Monfils but reality is this wil likely be close and go either way. The Berrettini of rounds 1 and 2 gets gubbed here but if he plays like he did in the last round he can win.

Krejcikova v Keys - Normally I'd be all over the former however Keys just keeps producing the goods. I'd hate to predict a winner but expect plenty games / tie breaks and a deciding set. I'd like Keys to win.

Barty v Pegula - Barty in straight sets. She's ****ing ruthless and Pegula ain't touching her here. Barty hasn't been broken in 62 service games. Said it previously but as soon as Osaka left the tournament ( and now Azarenka imo) her name is on the trophy if it wasn't already.

Interesting matches . I think nadal will win in 3 . He seems to be bllizing to the Title now that the number one plsyer isn’t there . Monflis or Berentinni? I like them both but think Berrentinni Wii win . Wins for Barbara and Ashley too 

Apparently the Medvedev v Allassime match was outstanding . The younger team certainly seem to be knocking on the door to the slams now . 

I P Knightley

Medvedev came through a 4 and a half hour monster of a match, having dropped the first two sets. Still playing big 15-20 shot rallies in the last few games. He'll be cream crackered and has the shorter turnaround time before his SF than either his oppo (Shitsispants, who won in straight sets) or the other SF, with those guys having played yesterday so one more day's rest.

That all combines to give him the toughest hurdles to overcome if he's to win two more matches. If I had a few bob on him, I'd be looking to cash out and put a bit of cash on Nadal now.

Djokovic will be :seething:

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Medvedev came through a 4 and a half hour monster of a match, having dropped the first two sets. Still playing big 15-20 shot rallies in the last few games. He'll be cream crackered and has the shorter turnaround time before his SF than either his oppo (Shitsispants, who won in straight sets) or the other SF, with those guys having played yesterday so one more day's rest.

That all combines to give him the toughest hurdles to overcome if he's to win two more matches. If I had a few bob on him, I'd be looking to cash out and put a bit of cash on Nadal now.

@JamesM48will be :seething:

👍 fixed it.

Guaranteed that if Nadal wins it, all the Novak supporters will claim that the win should have an asterisk beside it because it wasn't really a fair competition without Novak there, and they will probably also not count it towards the grand slams total.

It will be glorious, no?

7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Guaranteed that if Nadal wins it, all the Novak supporters will claim that the win should have an asterisk beside it because it wasn't really a fair competition without Novak there, and they will probably also not count it towards the grand slams total.

It will be glorious, no?

Do the slams he won when Nadal, Federer and Murray were out injured count? 

Edited by ri Alban

16 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

But Novak wanted to play in Australia. It was the freedom-hating Australian government that forced him to leave, etc. etc. blah, blah.

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

But Novak wanted to play in Australia. It was the freedom-hating Australian government that forced him to leave, etc. etc. blah, blah.

:)

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

It will be glorious, no?

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

👍 fixed it.

59 minutes ago, redjambo said:

54 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

:)

giphy (9).gif

giphy (6).gif

No matter what  use say itll be a tainted win if Nadal wins the Aussie open. Most tennis commentators would say this too. He isn't ill . He hasn't an injury. He has been deprived of playing . Simple as that. Tainted tournament and leaves a sour taste in the mooth for real tennis fans no the numpties rounding on " the unvaccinated" 

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

No matter what  use say itll be a tainted win if Nadal wins the Aussie open. Most tennis commentators would say this too. He isn't ill . He hasn't an injury. He has been deprived of playing . Simple as that. Tainted tournament and leaves a sour taste in the mooth for real tennis fans no the numpties rounding on " the unvaccinated" 

Only to you James, only to you. Novax did this to himself, an arrogant prick who fecked with wrong country. 

Aussie Rules, so I do .

Edited by ri Alban

I think Barty is a Tennis robot.

One game into her semi and she has broken Keys already. Surely on her way to another straight set victory.

She must be around 70 service games unbroken in a row now.

Don't think the winner should have an asterisk, they've won it fair and square. Should the tournament be view as slightly less prestigious though, imo yes.

I say fair and square but there's always rumblings about Nadal...as there are about Djokovic too. Don't like either of them tbh.

Edited by Taffin

Just now, Taffin said:

Don't think the winner should have an asterisk, they've won it fair and square. Should the tournament be view as slightly less prestigious though, imo yes.

The AO as a competition is not tainted in the slightest despite almost every side not covering themselves in glory. The asterisk chat is nonsense.

Djokovic wasn't guaranteed to win. 

7 minutes ago, Homme said:

The AO as a competition is not tainted in the slightest despite almost every side not covering themselves in glory. The asterisk chat is nonsense.

Djokovic wasn't guaranteed to win. 

Sorry, are you saying I can't view a tournament where the world's best player wasn't allowed to play as less prestigious?

I was quite clear it's just my opinion. The pinnacle grass court tournament is Wimbledon, clay is the French and hard court is US...for me Australia was always last, even more so now.

13 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Sorry, are you saying I can't view a tournament where the world's best player wasn't allowed to play as less prestigious?

I was quite clear it's just my opinion. The pinnacle grass court tournament is Wimbledon, clay is the French and hard court is US...for me Australia was always last, even more so now.

Once the tournament started he was pretty much forgotten about. It has been rightly, all about the Tennis since then and there have been some cracking ties on both the ATP / WTA side of things. Novak and his circus going deep in the tournament would have brought a whole heap of bad press on the tournament because it'd be the biggest side show in Tennis history.

23 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Better tell Alan Wells to hand back his 1980 Olympic medal as the USA boycotted it.

6 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Better tell Alan Wells to hand back his 1980 Olympic medal as the USA boycotted it.

As I say, people will win fair and square and are deserving of their glory, an asterisk etc is silly imo. Someone/a team choosing not to play though isn't the same...but would the 1980 Olympic tennis tournament have been more prestigious had the US played, yes.

Put it this way, would it be a bigger achievement and more prestigious if Hearts won the league against Rangers and Celtic or would you value it the same if we won it in a year where they weren't allowed to play due to something nothing to do with football?

Edited by Taffin

I P Knightley
19 minutes ago, Taffin said:

As I say, people will win fair and square and are deserving of their glory, an asterisk etc is silly imo. Someone/a team choosing not to play though isn't the same...but would the 1980 Olympic tennis tournament have been more prestigious had the US played, yes.

Put it this way, would it be a bigger achievement and more prestigious if Hearts won the league against Rangers and Celtic or would you value it the same if we won it in a year where they weren't allowed to play due to something nothing to do with football?

I tell you what would have made it more prestigious. That would have been actually holding a tennis tournament at the 1980 Olympics.

(Tennis wasn't reintroduced to the Olympics until Seoul, 1998 and I'm a sarcy fokker - sorry; couldn't resist it :) )

FWIW, I'm not one for rating the tournaments and sticking asterisks and caveats on winners of any tournaments. If competitors weren't there by choice or by injury, then that shouldn't demean the achievements of whoever competed. Sure, we'll all "what if" about Djoko's absence as we do for every time there's a winner/loser but, for me, the point is that Djoko has proved himself in the past and now someone else can do so. If Djoko wants to prove himself again in the future, he knows what to do and how to do it.

Just now, I P Knightley said:

I tell you what would have made it more prestigious. That would have been actually holding a tennis tournament at the 1980 Olympics.

(Tennis wasn't reintroduced to the Olympics until Seoul, 1998 and I'm a sarcy fokker - sorry; couldn't resist it :) )

No, good correction. I wasn't alive so just assumed he was talking about tennis 😂

Just now, I P Knightley said:

FWIW, I'm not one for rating the tournaments and sticking asterisks and caveats on winners of any tournaments. If competitors weren't there by choice or by injury, then that shouldn't demean the achievements of whoever competed. Sure, we'll all "what if" about Djoko's absence as we do for every time there's a winner/loser but, for me, the point is that Djoko has proved himself in the past and now someone else can do so. If Djoko wants to prove himself again in the future, he knows what to do and how to do it.

I P Knightley
6 minutes ago, Taffin said:

No, good correction. I wasn't alive so just assumed he was talking about tennis 😂

Awww, bugger! That hurt this old man :(

FYI, the Allan Wells he spoke of (2 Ls in Allan) is an Edinburgh lad who in pre-lycra shorts days was the last white man to win the 100m gold medal. From Libby High, he was especially white.

Due to the US boycott of the Moscow games, many have questioned his entitlement to that medal. He did go on to win a few other medals at big international meetings in the aftermath so he's good enough for me.

Edited by I P Knightley

No matter what others say on this its a tainted tournament as the number one player in the mens was not allowed to play, He was there , ready and willing too.  Anyway it is what it is. Nadal whom i really like still , as i admire his power play will more than likely win .  Its an interesting one thinking of the what ifs?  Would Steffi Graf have won 22 slams if Monica Seles had not been stabbed ?   ( NO ) Would Serena Williams have won her 24 slams if she didnt take time off to have her child ? (Maybe)  . Its all ifs and buts really,  What is fact is that the Aussie open is definitely the least prestigious of all the grand slams. In fact many top ranked players in the 60s and 70s didn't even bother to travel to the tournament to participate in it.  Hence the reason Margaret Court probably won a record 11 Aussie slams.