Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )

Maroon Sailor

43 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I tell you what would have made it more prestigious. That would have been actually holding a tennis tournament at the 1980 Olympics.

(Tennis wasn't reintroduced to the Olympics until Seoul, 1998 and I'm a sarcy fokker - sorry; couldn't resist it :) )

FWIW, I'm not one for rating the tournaments and sticking asterisks and caveats on winners of any tournaments. If competitors weren't there by choice or by injury, then that shouldn't demean the achievements of whoever competed. Sure, we'll all "what if" about Djoko's absence as we do for every time there's a winner/loser but, for me, the point is that Djoko has proved himself in the past and now someone else can do so. If Djoko wants to prove himself again in the future, he knows what to do and how to do it.

I think he has to bite the bullet and just get the jag and give a big FU and win the rest of the year slams. I know its against his principles but there seem no other way for him to compete in the French and US in particular. Still cant understand why they just cant accept a person competiting who tests negative for it before the tournament really.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Awww, bugger! That hurt this old man :(

FYI, the Allan Wells he spoke of (2 Ls in Allan) is an Edinburgh lad who in pre-lycra shorts days was the last white man to win the 100m gold medal. From Libby High, he was especially white.

Due to the US boycott of the Moscow games, many have questioned his entitlement to that medal. He did go on to win a few other medals at big international meetings in the aftermath so he's good enough for me.

I think his wife taught at Firhill

4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I think he has to bite the bullet and just get the jag and give a big FU and win the rest of the year slams. I know its against his principles but there seem no other way for him to compete in the French and US in particular. Still cant understand why they just cant accept a person competiting who tests negative for it before the tournament really.

Is he not based in Monaco? He could literally fly in for his matches and fly home right after!

48 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

FYI, the Allan Wells he spoke of (2 Ls in Allan) is an Edinburgh lad who in pre-lycra shorts days was the last white man to win the 100m gold medal. From Libby High, he was especially white.

Due to the US boycott of the Moscow games, many have questioned his entitlement to that medal. He did go on to win a few other medals at big international meetings in the aftermath so he's good enough for me.

He beat the Americans a couple of weeks later in Koblenz then again at the World Cup the following year. Apparently, one of the Americans congratulated him and stated that he would have won the Olympics even if everyone was there.

7 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Is he not based in Monaco? He could literally fly in for his matches and fly home right after!

Apparently he does live there. Yeah if he wants to achieve slam history he only really has this year and next as hes getting on a bit unless hes like Fred....  sorry Fed . Are his principles so strong he can brush aside tennis immortality ? Only he knows that.  If he doesnt compete in the French theres a chance Nadal will and win it. Nadal wont win Wimble or the US probably so he might get stuck at 22 slams. Also the young team are getting nearer to beating the big 2 now. Shapvolvov etc. And theres Medvedev too. 

I P Knightley
9 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

No matter what others say on this its a tainted tournament as the number one player in the mens was not allowed to play, He was there , ready and willing too.  Anyway it is what it is. Nadal whom i really like still , as i admire his power play will more than likely win .  Its an interesting one thinking of the what ifs?  Would Steffi Graf have won 22 slams if Monica Seles had not been stabbed ?   ( NO ) Would Serena Williams have won her 24 slams if she didnt take time off to have her child ? (Maybe)  . Its all ifs and buts really,  What is fact is that the Aussie open is definitely the least prestigious of all the grand slams. In fact many top ranked players in the 60s and 70s didn't even bother to travel to the tournament to participate in it.  Hence the reason Margaret Court probably won a record 11 Aussie slams. 

I hate myself for being hooked into this conversation but that's semantics.

He was allowed to play. All he had to do was the same as everyone else who's entered the competition and that's to follow the rules of the country in which the competition is being held.

We can/have talk for hours about the mis-management of his particular case but the fundamental thing it that there were transparent, unambiguous rules for getting into Australia; rules that Novak decided not to comply with.

Taffin's said it earlier. The tournament's been great; there's been some great match ups and the best (eligible) players have made it through to the final rounds. If you're intersted in tennis, it's possible to very quickly forget that Djoko's not there.

I P Knightley
10 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Apparently he does live there. Yeah if he wants to achieve slam history he only really has this year and next as hes getting on a bit unless hes like Fred....  sorry Fed . Are his principles so strong he can brush aside tennis immortality ? Only he knows that.  If he doesnt compete in the French theres a chance Nadal will and win it. Nadal wont win Wimble or the US probably so he might get stuck at 22 slams. Also the young team are getting nearer to beating the big 2 now. Shapvolvov etc. And theres Medvedev too. 

Oooh! Someone's been doing his spelling homework!! :biglaugh:

2 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Oooh! Someone's been doing his spelling homework!! :biglaugh:

:)  Oh i can never spell any of their names really. I do try though.    Took me years to even pronounce Navratilova. 

5 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I hate myself for being hooked into this conversation but that's semantics.

He was allowed to play. All he had to do was the same as everyone else who's entered the competition and that's to follow the rules of the country in which the competition is being held.

We can/have talk for hours about the mis-management of his particular case but the fundamental thing it that there were transparent, unambiguous rules for getting into Australia; rules that Novak decided not to comply with.

Taffin's said it earlier. The tournament's been great; there's been some great match ups and the best (eligible) players have made it through to the final rounds. If you're intersted in tennis, it's possible to very quickly forget that Djoko's not there.

Nope he was not allowed to play due to his anti vax stance.  He passed all the other criteria. This is a great read. Anyway its old news now and there is a thread regarding him. Lets not derail this decent thread.

The real reason Australia kicked out Djokovic - The Conservative Woman

14 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Nope he was not allowed to play due to his anti vax stance.  He passed all the other criteria. This is a great read. Anyway its old news now and there is a thread regarding him. Lets not derail this decent thread.

The real reason Australia kicked out Djokovic - The Conservative Woman

I don't always go to Conservative Women when i want information on entry requirements to Australia but, when I do I seek out the opinion of someone that claims that testing children for COVID is "child abuse".

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Alive or not, I should have know that in fairness 🤦🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Alan Wells beat all the Americans at the first meeting straight after the Olympics. 

4 hours ago, Taffin said:

Don't think the winner should have an asterisk, they've won it fair and square. Should the tournament be view as slightly less prestigious though, imo yes.

I say fair and square but there's always rumblings about Nadal...as there are about Djokovic too. Don't like either of them tbh.

I know I sound like a Daily Mail reader, but I would consider it less prestigious due to the behaviour of the Ozzie crowds. They don't appear to be putting a can on it, and it's only going to get worse.

59 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I know I sound like a Daily Mail reader, but I would consider it less prestigious due to the behaviour of the Ozzie crowds. They don't appear to be putting a can on it, and it's only going to get worse.

Awful crowds, i agree.

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

I rest my case 😂😂 your bang on 

203C1F46-AB1E-4016-8AE9-C85949CECC5D.gif

8 hours ago, Taffin said:

Sorry, are you saying I can't view a tournament where the world's best player wasn't allowed to play as less prestigious?

I was quite clear it's just my opinion. The pinnacle grass court tournament is Wimbledon, clay is the French and hard court is US...for me Australia was always last, even more so now.

He was allowed, he decided to be prick. Nadal's the best.

7 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

He beat Carl and his mates the week after the Olympics.

Edited by ri Alban

Medvedev is scintillating form again Tits up....( not even going to attempt to spell his name) Seriously good play. Effortless in fact.  There has been a massive assumption with Novak being awol that its Nadal's for the taking. Not so sure after watching this display. 

6 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Medvedev is scintillating form again Tits up....( not even going to attempt to spell his name) Seriously good play. Effortless in fact.  There has been a massive assumption with Novak being awol that its Nadal's for the taking. Not so sure after watching this display. 

Far too close to call. They are so different in the way they play and their tempo inbetween points that it could be a really tetchy final.

And Medvedev will relish being up against Rafa AND the crowd.

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Far too close to call. They are so different in the way they play and their tempo inbetween points that it could be a really tetchy final.

Yep its the hallmarks of a great final. 5 sets i think. 

I P Knightley
50 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yup. He's building a "no one likes me; I don't care" mentality which seems to spur him on. I don't know much about him as a guy, so don't know whether he deserves any of it; it doesn't seem to be the case but maybe he kicks kittens or something.

Anyway, he's still carrying one fewer day of rest time into the final than Nadal but, being about 10 years younger, I'm not sure that it will make a big difference. I've already flipped from Medvedev to Nadal once but now I'm exercising my option to sit on the fence.

4 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Yup. He's building a "no one likes me; I don't care" mentality which seems to spur him on. I don't know much about him as a guy, so don't know whether he deserves any of it; it doesn't seem to be the case but maybe he kicks kittens or something.

Anyway, he's still carrying one fewer day of rest time into the final than Nadal but, being about 10 years younger, I'm not sure that it will make a big difference. I've already flipped from Medvedev to Nadal once but now I'm exercising my option to sit on the fence.

The 10 year gap will be the issue  I think. I'm going for Medvedev

Maroon Sailor

Some match between Barty and Collins

Barty took the 1st set 6-3

Collins served for the 2nd at 5-1

Currently 6-5 Collins with Barty serving to take it to a tie-break

A Boy Named Crow

Anyone else think Collins' speech dragged on...and on...and on?

Barty is a proper champ though! What a way to win it!

A Boy Named Crow

Channel 9 have been coveting the AO here,  they got Ash into the studio, had a bit of chat with her... then they cracked open the beers on air. It'll be some night!

56 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Channel 9 have been coveting the AO here,  they got Ash into the studio, had a bit of chat with her... then they cracked open the beers on air. It'll be some night!

1 hour ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Dear lord a woman’s grand am champion drinking beer after winning 🏅 

3BDBED17-C534-4C8F-BAC0-D23FAE04FCCD.gif

9 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

She's earned it.

9 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

does that not match your views on what women should be drinking? maybe a nice babysham or bucksfizz and leave the beer to the men?

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

does that not match your views on what women should be drinking? maybe a nice babysham or bucksfizz and leave the beer to the men?

I’ll reply tomorrow I’m 3 sheeets 

to the wind now 

A Boy Named Crow
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

I’ll reply tomorrow I’m 3 sheeets 

to the wind now 

I'm sure it'll be worth the wait,  certain of it. 

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

The Real Maroonblood
10 hours ago, milky_26 said:

:lol:

Great match already.  Nadal struggling on his serve and has been at break point each game and has now lost her serve. Daniel having no problems on his serve.  Daniel to win this in 4 sets I think. 

4 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

:pleasing:

Sore set to lose for these biased commentators and arsehole crowd

Lol i know what a bunch of arse holes really.  When exactly did Rafa become Australian ?  Reminds me of the wallys at Wimbles shouting and supporting Federer like he was British. Dafties really,  yes the commentators given no respect to Medvedev really.  Hes playing superb tennis. Totally composed. 

4 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

rafa is reminding me a lot of andy murray before he won a slam. keeps in the point but his opponent has that little extra to win

Like playing better you mean ? Not " that little extra".  I would argue. 

1 hour ago, Homme said:

I had a go on 

Med to win

Rafa to win a set

Med to hit 10 more aces than Rafa

dont know how the aces count is going but the rest of your bet is now looking better