• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just relaxed after "work" and watched the highlights on BBC.

Some of the play was out of this world!

Never-say-die doesn't begin to cover it.  Great entertainment!

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Didn't thank or mention the crowd.

Because as a collective they've been ***** for two weeks.

Maroon Sailor

Truth in what Fed says - having players of the quality of Novak and Rafa playing in the same era brings the best out in each other.

2 minutes ago, Darren said:

Couldn't just congratulate him. Had to make it about Federer.

😀😀

Edited by JamesM48

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Was saddened to read that, social media had been bigging up his return for a few weeks and now he's retiring :(

One of my favourite players.

I think his old man was in charge of his finances and basically lost all his winnings over the years on some investments.

I P Knightley

I always liked DelPo. When I was cheering Murray on to get his Grand Slams, DelPo was the one guy I would never have minded beating him. He seems to be universally popular, too. Such a shame he never achieved more tennis-wise but he's able to retire with his head held high.

6 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I always liked DelPo. When I was cheering Murray on to get his Grand Slams, DelPo was the one guy I would never have minded beating him. He seems to be universally popular, too. Such a shame he never achieved more tennis-wise but he's able to retire with his head held high.

👍

I P Knightley

Del Potro: "The toughest thing to achieve is not a trophy or a ranking position, but people's love and support. I think I achieved it. Now I just want to live in peace and be able to sleep without feeling pain in my leg."

😭

24 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Del Potro: "The toughest thing to achieve is not a trophy or a ranking position, but people's love and support. I think I achieved it. Now I just want to live in peace and be able to sleep without feeling pain in my leg."

😭

awe thats sweet happy retirement to him

5 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

DelPo v Murray at the Olympics is one of my all time fav tennis matches.

• 4 weeks later...
I P Knightley
1 hour ago, rudi must stay said:

Djokovic to opt out of getting the vaccines 

I didn't read any details but saw a headline suggesting that France may be relaxing restrictions in a way that Djoko will be able to compete at Roland Garros.

• 3 weeks later...
JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Nadal's run finally comes to an end at IW.

Taylor Fritz wins in straight sets. Both players playing through injury. Great final.

Awe that’s a shame ! 😎The droids can only last so Long I suppose . He will no doubt take a “ break “ again 

Edited by JamesM48

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Awe that’s a shame ! 😎The droids can only last so Long I suppose . He will no doubt take a “ break “ again 

A Novax fan accusing any ***** of steroids use is a belter. 

JudyJudyJudy
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

A Novax fan accusing any ***** of steroids use is a belter. 

74CE9258-7C2F-4E49-9889-54272236B536.thumb.jpeg.7852432fd8f95f50a337a34382f0a3e5.jpeg

A Boy Named Crow
4 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Ash Barty just announced she's retiring. Going out at the top,  but seems odd!

Been reading more about this,  not really odd at all. She's achieved everything she wanted to, made enough money to be more than comfortable for the rest of her life. I'd say the oddballs, the broken ones, are people like Nadal and Federer who can only define themselves by how they hit a ball over a net.

Good on her!

I should have posted to this thread.

Massive respect for her going out on top. What a fantastic career she has had. Head and shoulders above everyone on the circuit for a while now. 

JudyJudyJudy

I’m racking my brain trying to work out the other number 1 . I’m thinking Martina Hingis ? 

7AAEBFA0-124F-4F9F-8628-32B52023BAFD.jpeg

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

I’m racking my brain trying to work out the other number 1 . I’m thinking Martina Hingis ? 

7AAEBFA0-124F-4F9F-8628-32B52023BAFD.jpeg

I'm guessing here but it could be Kim Clijsters (first time round) or Justine Henin. Hingis retired from singles after a few injuries so I think her ranking had dropped by then.

There's a decent number of WTA players who jack it in aged 25 to 28-ish having been quite successful and banking a fair amount of dough. Of course it's a surprise if they're as dominant as Barty currently is but is seems to be a healthy choice. Maybe Barty will go back to concentrating on her cricket?

4 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I'm guessing here but it could be Kim Clijsters (first time round) or Justine Henin. Hingis retired from singles after a few injuries so I think her ranking had dropped by then.

There's a decent number of WTA players who jack it in aged 25 to 28-ish having been quite successful and banking a fair amount of dough. Of course it's a surprise if they're as dominant as Barty currently is but is seems to be a healthy choice. Maybe Barty will go back to concentrating on her cricket?

justine henin in 08

11 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Cricket always seemed to be her first love, considering she took a break from tennis before to play it, so wouldn't be surprised if she decides to play it again. She's young enough to make a second career out of it.

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Oh think you might be right with Henin ? Possibly Clisters too since she was pregnant ? 

JudyJudyJudy
16 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

It’s Henin I just checked 

Barty is a superstar. Going to miss her.

Women's tennis has opened right up now. There is no stand out successor, just a fair size group of really good players.

JudyJudyJudy
32 minutes ago, Homme said:

Barty is a superstar. Going to miss her.

Women's tennis has opened right up now. There is no stand out successor, just a fair size group of really good players.

She seems to know herself well , has no ego to break record after record , has a happy home life and is generally sound . Good luck to her in her future endeavours . 

• 2 weeks later...
I P Knightley

I'm here to remind y'all of an easier post where I advised you of the future of men's tennis. 

If you're stuck for something to watch, go to Amazon Prime and watch re-runs of Carlos Alcarez's last two matches. You won't be disappointed. 

He's back on on Saturday after we've all done the maths about His will be in the bottom 6.

Phenomenal tennis player. 

Jeffros Furios
On 01/04/2022 at 09:20, I P Knightley said:

I'm here to remind y'all of an easier post where I advised you of the future of men's tennis. 

If you're stuck for something to watch, go to Amazon Prime and watch re-runs of Carlos Alcarez's last two matches. You won't be disappointed. 

He's back on on Saturday after we've all done the maths about His will be in the bottom 6.

Phenomenal tennis player. 

Another great win yesterday , I wouldn't rule him out winning a major this year.

It's a matter of time but his progress over the last 18mths has been exceptional. 

JudyJudyJudy
6 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Ash is back on it! I sincerely hope the big money she's picking up here won't change her as a person 🙃

https://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/ash-barty-wins-first-title-after-retiring-from-tennis/news-story/c89225a703fbd7298cdce929c90d768e

What a level headed woman 

I P Knightley
5 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Another great win yesterday , I wouldn't rule him out winning a major this year.

It's a matter of time but his progress over the last 18mths has been exceptional. 

Time will tell but he's the most exciting and complete young player I've seen. No idea what he'll be like on clay but the stats show that he's winning more long rallies than he loses on the hard courts so there's a good chance he'll translate well over to the red stuff. If he doesn't get the French, I doubt he'll get Wimbledon but he should come close at Flushing Meadows. 

He seems to play without pressure and the way he came back at Ruud in the first set was calm and ruthless. 

He'll be inside the top 8 before too long and, injuries notwithstanding, top 3 within a year. Djoko will have to get his 21st & 22nd GSs pretty quickly. I'd love to see how he copes with Alcaraz. 

10 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Ash is back on it! I sincerely hope the big money she's picking up here won't change her as a person 🙃

https://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/ash-barty-wins-first-title-after-retiring-from-tennis/news-story/c89225a703fbd7298cdce929c90d768e

:biglaugh: Hope she's getting some good financial and lifestyle advice now. 

Jeffros Furios
3 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Time will tell but he's the most exciting and complete young player I've seen. No idea what he'll be like on clay but the stats show that he's winning more long rallies than he loses on the hard courts so there's a good chance he'll translate well over to the red stuff. If he doesn't get the French, I doubt he'll get Wimbledon but he should come close at Flushing Meadows. 

He seems to play without pressure and the way he came back at Ruud in the first set was calm and ruthless. 

He'll be inside the top 8 before too long and, injuries notwithstanding, top 3 within a year. Djoko will have to get his 21st & 22nd GSs pretty quickly. I'd love to see how he copes with Alcaraz. 

I've not checked but I believe clay is his favourite surface and as you say he's got great composure. 

Really looking forward to seeing what he achieves. 

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Yes he’s the real

deal ! Exciting to watch . 

A Boy Named Crow
4 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I'm not sure to what extent the UK has imposed sanctions on Russia, but If the intention is to stop rich, influential Russians doing business in the UK, then limiting their sports stars' earning potential in the UK, while removing the chance of a propaganda win for Putin would serm pretty legit. 

I P Knightley
6 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

I'm not sure to what extent the UK has imposed sanctions on Russia, but If the intention is to stop rich, influential Russians doing business in the UK, then limiting their sports stars' earning potential in the UK, while removing the chance of a propaganda win for Putin would serm pretty legit. 

It's a pretty safe bet that most of the tennis stars live in Monaco so are not financially supporting the Putin regime - not directly, anyway.

I fully get the argument against giving him a PR win by having Medvedev (or Rublev) winning big tournaments but by banning them from entering, he gets a chance to play a different PR game. It's a rock and a hard place. When he wins, Medvedev doesn't go around waving the Russian flag; in fact, very few players do wve their national flags. It's very much an individual sport and nationality is just a side issue. So by preventing Medvedev from playing, it's much more of a personal thing than banning a Russian national team. Banning a Russian club side from playing in European competition is on the borderline; it's a national side and, in theory, doesn't represent the nation but there are other issues that might make it fair to ban them, including travelling support (which I know could be easily banned).

On balance, I'd be letting them play as they did in California and Florida recently. There was no fuss there and Rublev, in particular, was good in his anti-war gesture.

Nookie Bear
57 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

It's a pretty safe bet that most of the tennis stars live in Monaco so are not financially supporting the Putin regime - not directly, anyway.

I fully get the argument against giving him a PR win by having Medvedev (or Rublev) winning big tournaments but by banning them from entering, he gets a chance to play a different PR game. It's a rock and a hard place. When he wins, Medvedev doesn't go around waving the Russian flag; in fact, very few players do wve their national flags. It's very much an individual sport and nationality is just a side issue. So by preventing Medvedev from playing, it's much more of a personal thing than banning a Russian national team. Banning a Russian club side from playing in European competition is on the borderline; it's a national side and, in theory, doesn't represent the nation but there are other issues that might make it fair to ban them, including travelling support (which I know could be easily banned).

On balance, I'd be letting them play as they did in California and Florida recently. There was no fuss there and Rublev, in particular, was good in his anti-war gesture.

Excellent post and sums up my feelings exactly.

If the people want to object then they do not turn up to his matches or they can wave Ukraine flags or whatever but these guys are not representing Russia or Putin, they represent themselves.

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Excellent post and sums up my feelings exactly.

If the people want to object then they do not turn up to his matches or they can wave Ukraine flags or whatever but these guys are not representing Russia or Putin, they represent themselves.

Exactly. 

Get them to condemn Putin and the invasion on live tv. They don't,  they can't play. Simple.

Edited by ri Alban