Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

Perry was born in Britain then took US citizenship including being drafted into US military for WW2

:jj_facepalm:  Looked at the wrong bit . Died an Aussie.

6 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Died in Australia

I was reading some stuff and I for some reason thought I'd read Born Australia. I hadn't realised he was eyepatched when he became professional.

Some player.

Edited by ri Alban

Murgaruza out . Another wildly inconsistent player. 

Dan Evans through ( walk over ) 

Edited by JamesM48

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Murgaruza out . Another wildly inconsistent player. 

Dan Evans through ( walk over ) 

When is Andy back on, James?

9 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Great win for him 😁

I know. Outstanding. In fact faultless 

The guy Daniel who is playing Murray is one tough nut to crack. 

. A bridge too far i think. 

Edited by JamesM48

Strange one. Raducanu has a blister on the inside of her right hand. Affecting her quite badly it seems. 

Struggling with serve and forehand. Barely hitting the ball. 

Lost 5 games in a row now. Now lost 1st set 6-4. 

Edited by Mikey1874

I P Knightley
20 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Strange one. Raducanu has a blister on the inside of her right hand. Affecting her quite badly it seems. 

Lost 5 games in a row now. 

Due to intense personal training of my right hand, I've never suffered blisters from a tennis racquet. However, I used to play with a guy who, although he was a much bigger w*nker than me, used a golf glove while playing as a means to prevent blisters. He was a hell of a player, getting massive power on the ball so I'm guessing it was an effective ploy.

So that's two possible solutions in one paragraph there for Emma to consider.

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Still a massive struggle with no forehand, a weak serve and in lots of pain, but Raducanu wins 2nd set 6-4. 

aye she's lucky she scraped through that set.

22 hours ago, Homme said:

Good timings for the UK viewer. Med v Nick should be entertaining!

I think Andy and Emma get through tomorrow. 

Andy oot and Emma not looking to clever just now.

On 18/01/2022 at 08:45, JamesM48 said:

A blast from the past Richard Gasquet got through. Hes a lovely finese player and very French 😀

Gasquet out, retired 

23 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Andy oot and Emma not looking to clever just now.

Not been watching either. Think Emma is playing with an injury. 

Poor from Murray though. 

I P Knightley
3 minutes ago, Homme said:

Not been watching either. Think Emma is playing with an injury. 

Poor from Murray though. 

The injury isn't the defining reason. I've just watched her serve, put the oppo on the defensive, 'dominate' the net and pop a volley neatly onto the oppo's strings who then had an easy lob to take the break of serve. As mentioned before, not enough instinct to kill a match that she should have taken easily; even with a blister.

She's not out yet but her better chances are to break serve rather than hold and she's serving at 2-5 down.

9 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

The injury isn't the defining reason. I've just watched her serve, put the oppo on the defensive, 'dominate' the net and pop a volley neatly onto the oppo's strings who then had an easy lob to take the break of serve. As mentioned before, not enough instinct to kill a match that she should have taken easily; even with a blister.

She's not out yet but her better chances are to break serve rather than hold and she's serving at 2-5 down.

Bombed out. Like i said before she is overrated. Think people need to take off their union flag glasses off when analysing her playing style and performances. 

9 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

The injury stopped her smashing her forehand. Which normally produces a lot of winners. 

But commentators saying Kovinic prefers harder returns so no guarantee it was decisive. 

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Bombed out. Like i said before she is overrated. Think people need to take off their union flag glasses off when analysing her playing style and performances. 

Though if you look closer at the performance if the injury was as serious as it looked Raducanu adapted her game very well. 

You are very dismissive. 

6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Though if you look closer at the performance if the injury was as serious as it looked Raducanu adapted her game very well. 

You are very dismissive. 

I wouldn’t say “ dismissive “ it’s just my assessment . 

4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Kyrgios saying at break 'I can't do any more'.

Well I suppose apart from training better and devoting fully to the game. 

That’s a bit dismissive 😂 

I P Knightley
4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The injury stopped her smashing her forehand. Which normally produces a lot of winners. 

But commentators saying Kovinic prefers harder returns so no guarantee it was decisive. 

True - and this is what the British media will latch onto. However, the problem I described (illustrated above) was there in the previous match as well. There's a combination of factors. The blister would likely have played on her mind and she may have felt it limited her options but she's technically good enough to overcome that through clever shot choice and game management - things that are not in her armory.

Andy Murray's won matches where his toenails have fallen off during the match and where he's chundered in between games. There's more to it with Emma than a wee blister.

How does someone who hits tennis balls all day every day end up getting blisters anyway? Surely the palm of her hand should have adapted to the grip and toughened up by now?

51 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

How does someone who hits tennis balls all day every day end up getting blisters anyway? Surely the palm of her hand should have adapted to the grip and toughened up by now?

Nadal had a blister on his palm at the Australian Open a few years ago.  He also plays with his fingers all taped up to avoid blisters, pretty sure Borg did as well.

article-0-1ADE615800000578-902_634x475.jpg

I P Knightley
47 minutes ago, AWM said:

Nadal had a blister on his palm at the Australian Open a few years ago.  He also plays with his fingers all taped up to avoid blisters, pretty sure Borg did as well.

article-0-1ADE615800000578-902_634x475.jpg

I suspect this is because Rafa is naturally right handed so doesn't use his tennis hand for his ;) recreational activities :biglaugh:

I P Knightley

I'll wind my neck in a little on the Raducanu criticism here.

Her post match chat about how she dealt with the blister and how she realised it gave her opportunities to develop her repertoire of shots. Let's give her more time.

Malinga the Swinga
22 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

She didn't bomb out, she lost in tight game over 3 sets. Playing in first Australian open and performed okay. She's not over rated, she is very much rated as developing and promising.

You need to actually watch her game, her movement and most of all her personal drive. She will take this away, work out what happened and come back stronger.

Idiots so keen to write her off just show they nothing about her or sport.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
13 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I'll wind my neck in a little on the Raducanu criticism here.

Her post match chat about how she dealt with the blister and how she realised it gave her opportunities to develop her repertoire of shots. Let's give her more time.

One of the problems with women’s tennis (I think) is that players don’t have to be established, consistent or even that good to win big tournaments. It’s perfectly possible for Radacanu to rock up at the US Open and win it, and then do very little after that. You do get exceptions like Serena Williams but one of the reasons she was so dominant was that nobody had the drive to match her. It’s not like men’s tennis where Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have been in a death match for years, sustaining the level constantly 

49 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

She didn't bomb out, she lost in tight game over 3 sets. Playing in first Australian open and performed okay. She's not over rated, she is very much rated as developing and promising.

You need to actually watch her game, her movement and most of all her personal drive. She will take this away, work out what happened and come back stronger.

Idiots so keen to write her off just show they nothing about her or sport.

She was seeded 17 so should have got to the 4th round. Therefore she bombed out a few rounds earlier than where she should have .  She did not justify her seeding maybe. 

Anyway she is an above average player with some good shots..(precise flat groundstrokes)  But she has still to improve in other areas., if she does at all. Yes she's 19 so still got a few years ahead of her although Monica Seles had won 8 slams by the time she was 19,  However she was the exception to the rule. 

As ive said before she had an easy route to the US Open final and consequently won it. Since then I think she has only won one other title and been bombed out a few at the first round. Only recently in a pre tournament before Oz 

" Personal drive" may be helpful but its playing all round tennis which wins matches. So for the time being Ill reserve my judgement about her but I honestly think she has been over hyped by the British press ( yet again with a Brit unless your Andy Murray).  

I P Knightley
3 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

One of the problems with women’s tennis (I think) is that players don’t have to be established, consistent or even that good to win big tournaments. It’s perfectly possible for Radacanu to rock up at the US Open and win it, and then do very little after that. You do get exceptions like Serena Williams but one of the reasons she was so dominant was that nobody had the drive to match her. It’s not like men’s tennis where Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have been in a death match for years, sustaining the level constantly 

Spot on.

I notice that Naomi Osaka got pumpded oot this morning. She's the mostest multiple slam winner in the last who knows how many years (excluding Serena, obvs) and I know she's had her personal struggles so may be feeling her way back in but it kind of illustrates the current state of the women's game. I think I've written here before that I can't decide how good a thing this is. The dominance of the top 3 men has been thrilling for some and a bore for others; personally, I think it's been good and the anticipation of who'll fill their void is good as there's a number of challengers (though I don't think we'll see anyone as dominant as them for some time).

For the women, it's nice to have fresh players appear but a little frustrating when they do nothing much to follow it up. Sloane Stephens is an example. When she came on the scene, she was the next big thing (no doubt with some lazy journalist racism fuelling the comparisons with Serena). She was a serious contender, got her US Open and then had a drop off that's lasted too long in my view. Cori Gauff another that's been hyped to the heavens (and another excellent player). Halep's time at the top was too brief; etc. etc...

I do hope that Raducanu takes a lot of learning from her experience. I'd rather look at it as the first year of a career which had an unusual blip rather than a disappointing drop in 'form' following the US Open; especially if she is, as I'm planning, my future daughter-in-law.

12 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Its a bit of a myth that Serena had no challengers to her. If she hadnt she would have won way more than 23 titles. Justine Henin , Victoria Azarenko, Venus , Hingis Jennifer Capriati et all beat her at various times. However i completely agree about players lack of consistency hence different winners of slams.  Simona Halep took forever to win a slam and should easily have had a handful by now but is wildly inconsistent. Many others are like her too. 

4 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Spot on.

I notice that Naomi Osaka got pumpded oot this morning. She's the mostest multiple slam winner in the last who knows how many years (excluding Serena, obvs) and I know she's had her personal struggles so may be feeling her way back in but it kind of illustrates the current state of the women's game. I think I've written here before that I can't decide how good a thing this is. The dominance of the top 3 men has been thrilling for some and a bore for others; personally, I think it's been good and the anticipation of who'll fill their void is good as there's a number of challengers (though I don't think we'll see anyone as dominant as them for some time).

For the women, it's nice to have fresh players appear but a little frustrating when they do nothing much to follow it up. Sloane Stephens is an example. When she came on the scene, she was the next big thing (no doubt with some lazy journalist racism fuelling the comparisons with Serena). She was a serious contender, got her US Open and then had a drop off that's lasted too long in my view. Cori Gauff another that's been hyped to the heavens (and another excellent player). Halep's time at the top was too brief; etc. etc...

I do hope that Raducanu takes a lot of learning from her experience. I'd rather look at it as the first year of a career which had an unusual blip rather than a disappointing drop in 'form' following the US Open; especially if she is, as I'm planning, my future daughter-in-law.

Good summary . Didnt know Osaka was beaten.

I P Knightley
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

" Personal drive" may be helpful but its playing all round tennis which wins matches. So for the time being Ill reserve my judgement about her but I honestly think she has been over hyped by the British press ( yet again with a Brit unless your Andy Murray). 

Unfortunately, most of the press on tennis comes from people for whom tennis is very low in their list of interests. They could tell you all the merits and drawbacks of Carlos Kickaball, who warms the bench at Plymouth Argyle but, for them, tennis is the three main men and anyone British who does vaguely well. Ask them about Cam Norrie and they'd be able to tell you little more than the fact he's a Newcastle United supporter. They wouldn't be able to begin to spell Medvedev ;)

And her MBE is a pile of shite.

I P Knightley
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Its a bit of a myth that Serena had no challengers to her. If she hadnt she would have won way more than 23 titles. Justine Henin , Victoria Azarenko, Venus , Hingis Jennifer Capriati et all beat her at various times. However i completely agree about players lack of consistency hence different winners of slams.  Simona Halep took forever to win a slam and should easily have had a handful by now but is wildly inconsistent. Many others are like her too. 

"Halep"...

"Handful"...

C'Mon, James, I'm trying to be better for January. Resisting posting the image physically hurts right now.

2 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Unfortunately, most of the press on tennis comes from people for whom tennis is very low in their list of interests. They could tell you all the merits and drawbacks of Carlos Kickaball, who warms the bench at Plymouth Argyle but, for them, tennis is the three main men and anyone British who does vaguely well. Ask them about Cam Norrie and they'd be able to tell you little more than the fact he's a Newcastle United supporter. They wouldn't be able to begin to spell Medvedev ;)

And her MBE is a pile of shite.

lol i cant spell Medvedev. Yes MBE etc are a pile of shite

1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

"Halep"...

"Handful"...

C'Mon, James, I'm trying to be better for January. Resisting posting the image physically hurts right now.

image-23-10-21-12-13.gif