Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )

Maroon Sailor

Hint for those enjoying the tennis at the us open . Amazon prime are showing it . Sign up free for the month then cancel it . ! 

Looks like a real changing of the guard now . Currently enjoying the Svlotlina V Fernandez live . Fernandez is exceptional . She’s only 18 too like Radacscu ( can’t spell her name ) there are a few other young players breaking through . Fernandez is a delight to watch . She’s a leftie and for some reason they always seem to play some stunning tennis . ( Martina being the most famous and I Monica was too ) 

Edited by JamesM48

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Hint for those enjoying the tennis at the us open . Amazon prime are showing it . Sign up free for the month then cancel it . ! 

Looks like a real changing of the guard now . Currently enjoying the Svlotlina V Fernandez live . Fernandez is exceptional . She’s only 18 too like Radacscu ( can’t spell her name ) there are a few other young players breaking through . Fernandez is a delight to watch . She’s a leftie and for some reason they always seem to play some stunning tennis . ( Martina being the most famous and I Monica was too ) 

The prime delivery is why we took out Amazon. After Brexit, it's not worth the bother. I ordered a new high vis waterproof jacket, that usually comes next day. This was 3 weeks ago . :(

12 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The prime delivery is why we took out Amazon. After Brexit, it's not worth the bother. I ordered a new high vis waterproof jacket, that usually comes next day. This was 3 weeks ago . :(

Well I only signed up

for the tennis , like I did last year 😂 I can watch any of their other programmes as I can get them on my iptv thingy . Costs nowt 

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Well I only signed up

for the tennis , like I did last year 😂 I can watch any of their other programmes as I can get them on my iptv thingy . Costs nowt 

House MD is class. :thumb:

Just now, ri Alban said:

Yes, bud. It's brilliant.

I

Might give it a go . Heard good things about it . 👍

Some result, and some player. She seems to be a great frontrunner too, gets ahead of a player then just piles it on.

They said the other day that only 3 women have got to the 4th round of their first 2 majors played, Evert, Seles and Capriati. And on screen today they put that only King and Clijsters have made it to the US Open semi-finals when ranked outside the top 150. Some good company to keep for both!

Youngest British woman in Grand Slam semi final for 46 years. 

Highest ranked player she has beaten too. 

Great effort. (Oh and $675,000 prize money, at least!)

Edited by Mikey1874

Malinga the Swinga

Excellent performance again. After slow start, she seems to get on a roll and once ahead, she just piles pressure on opponent.

Still not dropped set in either qualifying or main draw. She won't have to bother about qualifying for tournaments much longer.

Now GB no 1 and only played about 4/5 tournaments.

No idea who she plays next but it won't phase her and she has fighting chance of getting to final.

Women's Semi finals start midnight tomorrow. (7pm New York time) . People saying Raducanu probably 2nd match so from around 2am Friday.

Edited by Mikey1874

25 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

No idea who she plays next but it won't phase her and she has fighting chance of getting to final.

Just read that it's either Pliskova or Sakkari, so likely Pliskova, who will be very tough to beat and another step up in class. Not that she's going to get an easy game in the semi's of a Slam.

42 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Youngest British woman in Grand Slam semi final for 46 years. 

Highest ranked player she has beaten too. 

Great effort. (Oh and $675,000 prize money, at least!)

I’m positive Jo Durie got to a semi final ? 

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I’m positive Jo Durie got to a semi final ? 

Sorry I misread it . Yes you wrote the youngest player ! 

3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Women's Semi finals start midnight tomorrow. (7pm New York time) . People saying Raducanu probably 2nd match so from around 2am Friday.

Who covers it Live in UK?

Edit - Good, it is on Prime and should be able to watch it on Saturday  morning.

Not seen any yet, at 2am, unlikely to stay awake

Edit

Mods, thread deserves a title change

Edited by Tommy Brown

3 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

Just read that it's either Pliskova or Sakkari, so likely Pliskova, who will be very tough to beat and another step up in class. Not that she's going to get an easy game in the semi's of a Slam.

Pliskova is very erratic so wouldn’t surprise me if Emma won. 

4 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Excellent performance again. After slow start, she seems to get on a roll and once ahead, she just piles pressure on opponent.

Still not dropped set in either qualifying or main draw. She won't have to bother about qualifying for tournaments much longer.

Now GB no 1 and only played about 4/5 tournaments.

She’s actually quite a effortless in her playing style . She doesn’t appear to be very athletic as she is quite slight but she can run around the whack the ball . Reminds me a bit of Justine Henin 

I P Knightley
5 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Pliskova is very erratic so wouldn’t surprise me if Emma won. 

Sakkari it is, then 🤣

Raducanu has played 14 matches in her career and her winnings are just short of $1m. That's some going!!

Edited by I P Knightley

I'd give Emma a better chance against Sakkari than if Pliskova had won. That said Sakkari is still a phenomenal player. 

Should be a cracking match.

3 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Sakkari it is, then 🤣

Raducanu has played 14 matches in her career and her winnings are just short of $1m. That's some going!!

She's lazy, only turns up for the slams

::troll::

4 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Sakkari it is, then 🤣

Well just seen the Pliskova score . As I had said very erratic so not surprised . I’ve actually don’t know much about Sakkari at all . 

10 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Well just seen the Pliskova score . As I had said very erratic so not surprised . I’ve actually don’t know much about Sakkari at all . 

Pretty much same as Pliskova. Unbelievable on her day but prone to silly errors. 

4 minutes ago, Homme said:

Pretty much same as Pliskova. Unbelievable on her day but prone to silly errors. 

Oh well Emma has a good chance then . Her real will be Sabslenka if they get to the final. A power player but who often makes unforced errors and has a suspect serve 

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Oh well Emma has a good chance then . Her real will be Sabslenka if they get to the final. A power player but who often makes unforced errors and has a suspect serve 

With any luck Sabalenka would bottle that match given her grand slam history. Sakkari very much a power player too very aggressive usually - has a good serve but if she leaves it at home Emma can win.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

This is gripping stuff. Raducanu dominates in the first set after Fernandez makes the final. Women's side has been brilliant this tournament. Much more exciting than the men's. Years, decades even, since it felt that way. 

19 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

This is gripping stuff. Raducanu dominates in the first set after Fernandez makes the final. Women's side has been brilliant this tournament. Much more exciting than the men's. Years, decades even, since it felt that way. 

Women’s game is better to watch big hitting aces we men are boring as hell.

Just now, Tazio said:

Fantastic stuff from Radacanu. Did Sakkari shake hands at the end or head straight off? 

Looked like a sharp exit, but she did meet her at the net to shake hands.

Good on her. Seems to be taking it all in her stride, which is good to see after the events of Wimbledon. Hope she can go on and win it and ram it down the throats of the likes of Piers Morgan.

Holy shit!

I didn't watch it - on too late - but what an achievement. Just sensational really and great to see Fernandez in the final with her.

Just woken up, was scared to look at the result. Don't know why. What a lass.

😁

Thought during Wimbledon she was the best British prospect I'd ever seen but didn't think her rise would be this quick. 😮

Edited by neilnunb

Malinga the Swinga

Final 9pm Saturday night our time on Amazon. No reason why Radacanu can't win it but opponent will be feeling exactly the same.

Let's go Radacanu, let's go.

Still not dropped set in either qualifying or main draw.

Edited by Malinga the Swinga

The achievement is already massive and miles beyond what could be expected of her.  But to not win it now could be a source of utter regret sometime later because there's no guarantee she'll be making it to major finals all the time.  I hope she's utterly cold blooded enough to play her game without the enormity of it all affecting her.

Malinga the Swinga

She's dropped 27 games in the 6 matches in main draw, over 12 sets played.

Averages roughly 2 games a set.

She's not just winning, she's dominating opponents and tearing their games apart.

Don't see her freezing on Saturday and hoping she does exactly the same again.

5 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

She's dropped 27 games in the 6 matches in main draw, over 12 sets played.

Averages roughly 2 games a set.

She's not just winning, she's dominating opponents and tearing their games apart.

Don't see her freezing on Saturday and hoping she does exactly the same again.

Yep, her stats are unbelievable.

On 09/09/2021 at 04:50, I P Knightley said:

Sakkari it is, then 🤣

Update:

She's played 15 matches in her career (including qualifiers, which some don't seem to count) and her winnings are over $1.5 million. 😲

Edited by I P Knightley

I like the set-up on Prime.

Got up at 6am and watched it unaware of the result. Will do the same on Sunday morning.

She needs to start better,  she lost her first serve in QF. Last night she was 15-40 and 0-40 in her her first two serves.

She doesnt want to doing that in the Final.

What a star this girl can be.

• davemclaren changed the title to Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )