***EURO 2020 - Round of 16***

Cade

19 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yeah I don't usually get in to opinions, especially political on JKB, so am bowing out.  If we were chatting face to face, it all seems less extreme, know what I mean?

We seem to disagree on this, fair to say!

I actually had no idea you were being civil, unless of course there is sarcasm involved in this post.

The way you finish the sentences with 'you know?' and stuff came across as pretty condescending tbh.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• milky_26

• Cade

• Maroon Sailor

• Boab

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

That’s a long old stretch you’ve made there. And a pretty disgusting accusation to say the least. 

:lol:

You came out of ****ing nowhere and tried to call my post a lot of shite. 

Get a grip and have the back wheels to actually have an input instead of denying my post and saying its a "lot of shite".

12 minutes ago, 151 said:

:lol:

You came out of ****ing nowhere and tried to call my post a lot of shite. 

Get a grip and have the back wheels to actually have an input instead of denying my post and saying its a "lot of shite".

The forum is about opinions. And my opinion a lot of your post was shite. Everyone knows the truths of the Second World War and things that happened. However I’m not going to use it as a stick to beat a nation and several generations of a people that have done their best to atone. 

Edited by Tazio

1 minute ago, 151 said:

I actually had no idea you were being civil, unless of course there is sarcasm involved in this post.

The way you finish the sentences with 'you know?' and stuff came across as pretty condescending tbh.

Yeah, prob what I mean.  Too easy to be condescending online or appear that way anyway.  As it is for a polarising conversation to get out of hand.

Your black and white view might not actually be so black and white, but it reads that way, for example.

As I say, prefer actually not to be involved in convs like this online, so best just say we don't seem to agree eh!

3 minutes ago, 151 said:

Ok mate cool. 

I guess that is how murderers and stuff are born - people who cannot understand the feelings of others.

Bareing in mind your pedantic critique of me using the word empathy - and the word understanding being a key word in the definition.

Actually it was your transferring of the guilt of Germany from 75 years ago onto current day Germans that I took issue with. Your ignorance of the English language when trying to justify it was a mere side track...

13 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Fantastic link.   It starts off by saying:

"The official name of the country is the Kingdom of the Netherlands. King Willem-Alexander is the king of the nation. Holland actually only means the two provinces of Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland. However, the name Holland is often used when all of the Netherlands is meant."

It then goes on to exclusively use the term "Holland" for the rest of the page, and talks about attractions that aren't in the two parts of Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland.  :lol: 

2 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yeah, prob what I mean.  Too easy to be condescending online or appear that way anyway.  As it is for a polarising conversation to get out of hand.

Your black and white view might not actually be so black and white, but it reads that way, for example.

As I say, prefer actually not to be involved in convs like this online, so best just say we don't seem to agree eh!

I do find it difficult to explain a point on here when I feel like im being hammered with replies with the same few having digs at someone for having a different opinion.

It's cool mate, apologies for any condescending remarks on my behalf.

I do find it pretty remarkable though that it is okay to show apparent hatred on here towards a club that play in the same city, often who have family members attached to its fanbase, and accuse them of incest fairly often, shagging their sisters for example and implying all of them are drug takers etc. 

Hate other clubs because they wronged ours and call them scum, filth, all this and that. Hate Dundee and Dundee United because Dundees this and that.

But I mention that I dislike a nation (not just a football team) because they gassed millions of innocent children for literally no reason at all and I get all these messages as if it is totally bizarre. It happened in my partners Gran's lifetime. She literally can re call memories like yesterday even at 93 almost 94.

I am entirely aware the team today aren't dropping bombs and killing children, but their not so distant relatives did and were and I just don't really like the Germans in general because of their immediate history. 

7 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Actually it was your transferring of the guilt of Germany from 75 years ago onto current day Germans that I took issue with. Your ignorance of the English language when trying to justify it was a mere side track...

Ignornace of the English language on your behalf you mean? 

It literally translates to an UNDERSTANDING of others' feelings.

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Fantastic link.   It starts off by saying:

"The official name of the country is the Kingdom of the Netherlands. King Willem-Alexander is the king of the nation. Holland actually only means the two provinces of Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland. However, the name Holland is often used when all of the Netherlands is meant."

It then goes on to exclusively use the term "Holland" for the rest of the page, and talks about attractions that aren't in the two parts of Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland.  :lol: 

It's completely wrong, the country's called Nederland (singular btw), the whole lot under the king, including the Dutch Antilles and Surinam and what have you is the Kingdom of the Netherlands (plural)

1 minute ago, 151 said:

It happened in my partners Gran's lifetime. She literally can re call memories like yesterday even at 93 almost 94.

I am entirely aware the team today aren't dropping bombs and killing children, but their not so distant relatives did and were and I just don't really like the Germans in general because of their immediate history. 

Your partners Gran's lifetime? So you're not that old I'd guess in comparison to WWII. My parents lived through that war, my mother is still alive at 90 and doesn't have any strong dislike of modern Germans or Germany. I presumed from your posts you were at the very least as old as me. 

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Your partners Gran's lifetime? So you're not that old I'd guess in comparison to WWII. My parents lived through that war, my mother is still alive at 90 and doesn't have any strong dislike of modern Germans or Germany. I presumed from your posts you were at the very least as old as me. 

Just because you dont dislike something, doesn't mean other people can't dislike it. 

I watch stuff all the time about the war, documentaries about the Nazis and about Auschwitz etc. I have been to the Menin Gate, battlefield tours of Belgium and France and have also been to Auschwitz 1 and 2, Schindlers factory and was also in the Armed forces myself. 

However none of that stuff should or does have any impact on how much I can understand the horrors of what those wars brought and I am staggered that there is some sort of disbelief that anyone from these shores would dislike Germany. 

Edited by 151

1 minute ago, 151 said:

Just because you dont like something, doesn't mean other people can't dislike it. 

I watch stuff all the time about the war, documentaries about the Nazis and about Auschwitz etc. I have been to the Menin Gate, battlefield tours of Belgium and France and have also been to Auschwitz 1 and 2, Schindlers factory and was also in the Armed forces myself. 

However none of that stuff should or does have any impact on how much I can understand the horrors of what those wars brought and I am staggered that there is some sort of disbelief that anyone from these shores would dislike Germany. 

How do you feel about the Turks?

5 minutes ago, Cade said:

Well, that's one more bigot to add to the ignore list

Please do mate, I wouldn't ever want to engage in conversation with you anyway. You literally sound like you still believe in the tooth fairy with some of the stuff you post.

Just now, Tazio said:

I was thinking more their history of genocide.

Haha I know what you were alluding to. 

But the topic is about teams in the last 16 :lol:

I can't say I've really read up much although I of course know about the Ottoman Empire and what they did during WW1. 

Any genocide is wrong of course, not sure why you think anyones opinion would be different. Unless of course we're talking about someone like Cade.

Disliking modern day Germans for what their country did in the '30s and 40s is an incredible stretch of absolutely shite xenophobic logic. :lol: 

Can no-one can ever redeem themselves for what people 100 years older than them did? :vrface: 

Unknown user
27 minutes ago, 151 said:

I do find it difficult to explain a point on here when I feel like im being hammered with replies with the same few having digs at someone for having a different opinion.

It's cool mate, apologies for any condescending remarks on my behalf.

I do find it pretty remarkable though that it is okay to show apparent hatred on here towards a club that play in the same city, often who have family members attached to its fanbase, and accuse them of incest fairly often, shagging their sisters for example and implying all of them are drug takers etc. 

Hate other clubs because they wronged ours and call them scum, filth, all this and that. Hate Dundee and Dundee United because Dundees this and that.

But I mention that I dislike a nation (not just a football team) because they gassed millions of innocent children for literally no reason at all and I get all these messages as if it is totally bizarre. It happened in my partners Gran's lifetime. She literally can re call memories like yesterday even at 93 almost 94.

My Grandad was in the German army, he was captured and brought to the Lothians as a PoW where he met my granny.

Do you have a problem with me too, or would it be ridiculous to hold a grudge for what grandparents did?

Just now, Smithee said:

My Grandad was in the German army, he was captured and brought to the Lothians as a PoW where he met my granny.

Do you have a problem with me too, or would it be ridiculous to hold a grudge for what grandparents did?

No comment. Dangerous territory. 

August Landmesser
30 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Just as well Russia are out then. 

Sweden v Ukraine will have a bit of needle, the Battle of Poltava still fresh in the memory...

Edited by August Landmesser
typo

1 minute ago, Armageddon said:

Anyone else playing on Tuesday?

503C1CCD-8C21-4CAC-A27F-90A06FA305E2.jpeg

do we need to wait until kick off? or do we start in the pre match?

1 minute ago, August Landmesser said:

Sweden v Ukraine will have a bit of needle, the Battle of Poltava still fresh in the memory...

Ooaft. Imagine being the type of person to google something bizarre from nowhere near the kind of timeline involved, about 2 entirely different countries, just to fit in with the rest and try and put the boot in.

What a weasel. 

August Landmesser
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Why would that be?

I'd imagine he's trying (not) very hard to not say something racist.

Weird how a nice wee thread about the Euros has turned into another opportunity to  update the ignore list though!

Edited by August Landmesser

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Why would that be?

Because I genuinely amen't trying to offend anybody, apart from the guy that literally just tried to stick the boot in with the others like a pretend bully type. 

Let's just leave it as I dislike Germany due to their actions towards innocent people in a war from not so long ago. 

It really is that simple. I didn't even say I wanted England to win, I said it's hard to want Germany to win over a team from Britain. I despise the English media and football fans during these tournaments.

1 minute ago, August Landmesser said:

I'd imagine he's trying (not) very hard to not say something racist.

Weird how a nice wee thread about the Euros has turned into another opportunity to  update the ignore list though!

Go away, weasel. Don't try and stick the boot in with others you soft *****.

Unknown user
Just now, 151 said:

Because I genuinely amen't trying to offend anybody, apart from the guy that literally just tried to stick the boot in with the others like a pretend bully type. 

Let's just leave it as I dislike Germany due to their actions towards innocent people in a war from not so long ago. 

It really is that simple. I didn't even say I wanted England to win, I said it's hard to want Germany to win over a team from Britain. I despise the English media and football fans during these tournaments.

Well fair enough, it came across worse than that

The forces guy 151 has helpfully joined the chat in The Shed on the 'Germany' thread. Better place there to chat. This is the football thread he's helped risk being contaminated. 

I'm more unhappy some guy in my newspaper put England 4th ahead of France and Portugal (and Germany) as best performing group teams. 

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The forces guy 151 has helpfully joined the chat in The Shed on the 'Germany' thread. Better place there to chat. This is the football thread he's helped risk being contaminated. 

I'm more unhappy some guy in my newspaper put England 4th ahead of France and Portugal (and Germany) as best performing group teams. 

Italy were easily the best group side.

1 hour ago, 151 said:

Ignornace of the English language on your behalf you mean? 

It literally translates to an UNDERSTANDING of others' feelings.

Yep but you are (I'm guessing, but not a total stretch of the imagination) someone who has been indoctrinated by war films and institutionalisation of the armed forces (judging by your avatar). You claim not to like the English football team but I suspect you'd happily sit with their fans singing songs about the war...Basically it is ignorant xenophobic nationalism and dare I say racism...basically the exact same stuff that the NASDP used to like a bit of. 

3 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Yep but you are (I'm guessing, but not a total stretch of the imagination) someone who has been indoctrinated by war films and institutionalisation of the armed forces (judging by your avatar). You claim not to like the English football team but I suspect you'd happily sit with their fans singing songs about the war...Basically it is ignorant xenophobic nationalism and dare I say racism...basically the exact same stuff that the NASDP used to like a bit of. 

Not at all. My avatar is an airborne thing that you wouldn't understand. Because i'll blindly judge that you still live with parents and say you work an office job with loads of bosses you hate. 

Could be totally wrong but i'll go down your route.

I hate the English team but taking pride in the fact we won a war is something I hold, not sure i'd sing songs about it like but I do remember being in Robbos before a 0-0 derby in 2013 (remember because it was the year I met my partner and I took her to the game) and the whole place was singing about bombers and the RAF. 

There is no institutionalising within the Army :lol: its full of young guys who literally do it for money and money alone. Alot of them play the injury or sickness card and have no intentions of serving it is just easy money. 

I literally can't comprehend why it is difficult to understand a dislike for Germany. Ask a polish person what they think of Russians.

Germany bombed this country and fought a war directly involving our grandparents and blood lines. Not so long ago. They also killed millions of innocent people and claimed their homes and land. 

But of course this can be compared to a "blind hatred" or compared to some war involving Sweden and Ukraine from 1700's that some other poster put earlier.

15 minutes ago, 151 said:

Not at all. My avatar is an airborne thing that you wouldn't understand. Because i'll blindly judge that you still live with parents and say you work an office job with loads of bosses you hate. 

Could be totally wrong but i'll go down your route.

I hate the English team but taking pride in the fact we won a war is something I hold, not sure i'd sing songs about it like but I do remember being in Robbos before a 0-0 derby in 2013 (remember because it was the year I met my partner and I took her to the game) and the whole place was singing about bombers and the RAF. 

There is no institutionalising within the Army :lol: its full of young guys who literally do it for money and money alone. Alot of them play the injury or sickness card and have no intentions of serving it is just easy money. 

I literally can't comprehend why it is difficult to understand a dislike for Germany. Ask a polish person what they think of Russians.

Germany bombed this country and fought a war directly involving our grandparents and blood lines. Not so long ago. They also killed millions of innocent people and claimed their homes and land. 

But of course this can be compared to a "blind hatred" or compared to some war involving Sweden and Ukraine from 1700's that some other poster put earlier.

I'm 46 and haven't noticed my parents squirelled away in any of the spare rooms TBH...I don't have a boss, let alone several.

What you failed to include in your life story is any actual experience of Germany or German people... Have you ever actually been there? Have you ever spoken to German people? 

You think it valid to compare 1940s Germany to 1980s Poland yet criticise someone else posting about the 1700s? What's the difference? You've already made it clear that your opinion stems from no personal experience at all, in short, as I've already said, ignorance...You talk about blood lines as if that gives you validation for your fear of the Germans, but it just makes it sound a bit, dare I say, Nazi-like!

Edited by Spellczech

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Obviously forgot, Italy, Netherland, sweden, and Spain.

5 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I'm 46 and haven't noticed my parents squirelled away in any of the spare rooms TBH...I don't have a boss, let alone several.

What you failed to include in your life story is any actual experience of Germany or German people... Have you ever actually been there? Have you ever spoken to German people? 

You think it valid to compare 1940s Germany to 1980s Poland yet criticise someone else posting about the 1700s? What's the difference? You've already made it clear that your opinion stems from no personal experience at all, in short, as I've already said, ignorance...You talk about blood lines as if that gives you validation for your fear of the Germans, but it just makes it sound a bit, dare I say, Nazi-like!

The Poles hatred for the Russians to this day stems from their occupation from said war. 1700s is a little different.

2 minutes ago, 151 said:

The Poles hatred for the Russians to this day stems from their occupation from said war. 1700s is a little different.

I must've missed the bit where Germany occupied the UK for 40 years in my lifetime. Maybe I have dementia if a 32 year old remembers it and dislikes Germans because of it... You really are at 6s & 7s here. 

2 hours ago, 151 said:

Ok mate cool. 

I guess that is how murderers and stuff are born - people who cannot understand the feelings of others.

Bareing in mind your pedantic critique of me using the word empathy - and the word understanding being a key word in the definition.

I think you should take your half assed knowledge of European history into the shed and you’ll maybe find someone there who’ll be able to give you a few worthwhile educational pointers and perhaps recommend some reading material. Personally I’d recommend a visit to modern day Germany, meet some people, get to know the modern country. I’d recommend Dresden, Leipzig or Hamburg to start, all of them painstakingly rebuilt after Bomber Harris flattened them and killed most of the innocent men women and children who still lived there. Then visit Berlin where they’ll be more than happy to show you the wall, the Holocaust memorial and various other stuff they keep as a reminder of mans inhumanity towards man.

Edited by JimmyCant

9 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I'll back out from this now as a far bigger and better person. 

You have already made it clear you show no feelings towards the victims of a holocaust and almost seem to have some sort of fetish towards Germans. You also allude to fear and have also had several little digs, it seems to me you are fearful of anyone with a differing opinion from yourself. 

This started with me saying its a tough one because although always wanting England pumped, I dislike Germany due to their not so recent past. 

Everything that has been added on about turks, USA, other threads being created, and all the other unneccesary comparisons is all irrelevant because everyone is entitled to an opinion. You like Germans? Fair enough. I can't stomach the thought of even being in the company of anyone who's immediate bloodlines commited such atrocities. That's just me. Clearly just me. Out of a nation where practically every single fighting age male went and fought against them we seem to have fell in love with them within a generation. I'd love to hear an account of thoughts on that from the folk who died.

But but but its alright to HATE other scottish football clubs.

2 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I must've missed the bit where Germany occupied the UK for 40 years in my lifetime. Maybe I have dementia if a 32 year old remembers it and dislikes Germans because of it... You really are at 6s & 7s here. 

What? :lol:

13 minutes ago, 151 said:

You have already made it clear you show no feelings towards the victims of a holocaust and almost seem to have some sort of fetish towards Germans.

The bit in bold is very similar in tone to the bit where you accused me of being a holocaust denier, an accusation I find disgusting and in fact demeaning to victims of the holocaust that you can chuck such serious accusations about.

Jeffros Furios
13 minutes ago, 151 said:

You have already made it clear you show no feelings towards the victims of a holocaust and almost seem to have some sort of fetish towards Germans. You also allude to fear and have also had several little digs, it seems to me you are fearful of anyone with a differing opinion from yourself. 

This started with me saying its a tough one because although always wanting England pumped, I dislike Germany due to their not so recent past. 

Everything that has been added on about turks, USA, other threads being created, and all the other unneccesary comparisons is all irrelevant because everyone is entitled to an opinion. You like Germans? Fair enough. I can't stomach the thought of even being in the company of anyone who's immediate bloodlines commited such atrocities. That's just me. Clearly just me. Out of a nation where practically every single fighting age male went and fought against them we seem to have fell in love with them within a generation. I'd love to hear an account of thoughts on that from the folk who died.

Absolute garbage.  Have a :cornette:

Just now, Tazio said:

The bit in bold is very similar in tone to the bit where you accused me of being a holocaust denier, an accusation I find disgusting and in fact demeaning to victims of the holocaust that you can chuck such serious accusations about.

You came from nowhere and called a post talking about the holocaust "a load of shite". 

You seem to be struggling with guilt maybe as you can't seem to let it go, mate.

11 minutes ago, 151 said:

Everyone is entitled to an opinion,  but you have to accept that those opinions are there to be questioned and criticised. Especially when someone repeatedly says that their dislike for a country and its people is due to their "bloodlines"...

5 minutes ago, 151 said:

You came from nowhere and called a post talking about the holocaust "a load of shite". 

You seem to be struggling with guilt maybe as you can't seem to let it go, mate.

I'm guessing your military badge isn't the Intelligence Corps. 

Jeffros Furios
Just now, 151 said:

Still fail to see what is garbage about it? 

Everyone thinks the nazis were murdering scum but that has nothing to do with modern day Germany.

And just because people hold this view doesn't downplay the war and  genocide. 

The world will never advance if we keep on hating due to actions of distant relatives or countrymen. 

And its lazy to say we won the war when it was a lot more complicated that that. 

With your views we will always be hating .