***EURO 2020 - Round of 16***

Cade

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, tian447 said:

Isn't calling the Netherlands "Holland" like calling Scotland "Glasgow"? 

My Dutch pal always told me never to call it Holland, because it's just a region within NL, and he got quite upset about it :lol:

Yeah,they mentioned it during commentary. One of about 6 interesting things said so far. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• milky_26

• Cade

• Maroon Sailor

• Boab

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Well, sorry @smiler, the Netherlands will always be Holland to me.

Can we still call England, England?  Perhaps Brexit has caused a bit of a stir?

Awaiting your clarification.  👍

Cancel culture 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️😜

https://www.holland.com/global/tourism/information/general/netherlands-vs-holland.htm

Welsh fans not allowed into Holland, sorry The Netherlands, sorry, the Nederlands because of the Indian variant rates over here. Yet Uefa can stroll into England. 

Edited by ri Alban

Class of 75

I know this is opposite to the general thoughts on here but I hope England beat Germany. I can't stand the pundits but work with many English colleagues and friends and wanting Germany to win goes against my grain. Tin hat on. 

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Welsh fans not allowed into Holland, sorry The Netherlands, sorry, the Nederlands because of the Indian variant rates over here. Yet Uefa can stroll into England. 

Probably not just UEFA either. Thousands of fans from both finalists too you would have thought. All so that England can keep their hands in the honey pot for their World Cup bid 2030.

ive got no real issue with a near capacity crowd at Wembley, wherever they come from. My issue is that we can’t travel to any but a few countries, we still can’t go to the pub unless we jump through some hoops, and we can’t have more than 6 people in our house to watch the game itself. Plus our own football clubs are likely going to have to go several more months with severely limited capacity.

These restrictions are either required and ought to be fully enforced or they are not required and ought to be ended. There is now a two tier system and it’s ridiculous 

Edited by JimmyCant

14 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

I know this is opposite to the general thoughts on here but I hope England beat Germany. I can't stand the pundits but work with many English colleagues and friends and wanting Germany to win goes against my grain. Tin hat on. 

Anyone that stops England winning a major tournament is fine by me. We’d never hear the end of it for another 50 plus years. 

The Old Tolbooth
9 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Germany will beat England. It’s the Edinburgh derby of International football. It just happens, even when it really shouldn’t.

Exactly, only this time I'd have the Germans as slight favourites, especially if they play anywhere near as well as they did against Portugal. 

51 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

Sounds like you have never taken it off since May 1945! 😉

59 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Probably not just UEFA either. Thousands of fans from both finalists too you would have thought. All so that England can keep their hands in the honey pot for their World Cup bid 2030.

ive got no real issue with a near capacity crowd at Wembley, wherever they come from. My issue is that we can’t travel to any but a few countries, we still can’t go to the pub unless we jump through some hoops, and we can’t have more than 6 people in our house to watch the game itself. Plus our own football clubs are likely going to have to go several more months with severely limited capacity.

These restrictions are either required and ought to be fully enforced or they are not required and ought to be ended. There is now a two tier system and it’s ridiculous 

It is a bit ridiculous but I’m sure more than a few people won’t be thinking…oh, we can only have 6 but there’s 9 of us, that’s a shame !

:tlj:

Come on down ! 
6 is ok but 9 isn’t ?

🖕

Class of 75
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Anyone that stops England winning a major tournament is fine by me. We’d never hear the end of it for another 50 plus years. 

I agree with you there, it would never end. 

Class of 75
34 minutes ago, Boris said:

Sounds like you have never taken it off since May 1945! 😉

😂Possibly 

1 hour ago, Class of 75 said:

It is a tough one. I despise England football team and media but would much rather anyone from Britain beating the Germans. I don't know how anyone can stomach Germany after everything they have done as a nation in the not so distant past but that's just me I suppose. 

Just now, 151 said:

It is a tough one. I despise England football team and media but would much rather anyone from Britain beating the Germans. I don't know how anyone can stomach Germany after everything they have done as a nation in the not so distant past but that's just me I suppose. 

The Energy and Utilities Alliance, weekly blog, Mike Foster- “They don't  like it up 'em”

15 minutes ago, 151 said:

You need to check England’s record on mass murder and human rights abuses and illegal wars, illegal occupation of weak countries and empirism and colonialism if you are going to judge a country by its past deeds from generations gone by

40 minutes ago, 151 said:

I know the diesel engine is a mixed legacy.

But more recently they've taken a million refugees from poverty and war stricken areas, led Europe in difficult times including stability to the financial markets and lead the research and innovation behind tackling climate change. As well as of course unification after the fall of the Soviet Union.

They did a very decent World Cup in 2006. 

And loads of people go for the beer festivals. 

1 hour ago, 151 said:

Kind of a nonsense comment unless you actually fought in one of the 2 World Wars IMO. 

I've lived in Germany for several years and the people are not as they are represented in movies. In fact you won't find a population who are more generally decent and law-abiding anywhere else, perhaps partly due to the the wars. I actually felt some sympathy for the inherited sense of guilt and anti-nationalism. The only time Germans feel proud to be Germans and show it is when watching or playing sport.

1 hour ago, 151 said:

:notsure: Was the English empire a myth. 

Class of 75
9 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Never existed, apologies for talking politics, but it was the British Empire. An Empire in which Scots played an important part,especially in India. 

Edited by Class of 75

17 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Kind of a nonsense comment unless you actually fought in one of the 2 World Wars IMO. 

I've lived in Germany for several years and the people are not as they are represented in movies. In fact you won't find a population who are more generally decent and law-abiding anywhere else, perhaps partly due to the the wars. I actually felt some sympathy for the inherited sense of guilt and anti-nationalism. The only time Germans feel proud to be Germans and show it is when watching or playing sport.

Ah

I thought he meant this.

Couldn't be refering to something nearly no one alive was involved in. 

Class of 75
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

You need to check England’s record on mass murder and human rights abuses and illegal wars, illegal occupation of weak countries and empirism and colonialism if you are going to judge a country by its past deeds from generations gone by

This could end up going down a non football rabbit hole, but the British Empire did good things also. 

"taking the knee is wrong, keep politics out of football"

"I always want the germans to lose because of world war 2"

:vrface:

1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

Nonsense comment. :lol:

Suppose having empathy and sympathy towards all the children sent to a gas chamber is all nonsense unless of course I was one of those children gassed. 

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Of course not. And i never said any of the comments implied. All I said was...

"Its a tough one."

I hate Germany and pretty much everything about the nation, its RECENT history is literally disgusting and I still believe they harbour some of the nationalism that led to the atrocities. 

But of course, i'm talking absolute nonsense because the JKB posse think its relatable to mention stuff from hundreds of years ago in a TOTALLY different time to justify gassing children for absolutely nothing.

Just for some context, I served as an airborne engineer for over 8 years and have been to Auschwitz 1 and 2. Some of you armchair office workers that just try and slate Britain for its bloody and often horrible history just to be seen as some sort of PC warrior is laughable.

3 minutes ago, 151 said:

Suppose having empathy and sympathy towards all the children sent to a gas chamber is all nonsense unless of course I was one of those children gassed. 

I might be really wrong about this but I don't think Kai Havertz was involved.

I do think Harry Maguire colonised Nigeria though.

1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

I might be really wrong about this but I don't think Kai Havertz was involved.

I do think Harry Maguire colonised Nigeria though.

I'm aware they weren't involved. However, it doesn't take much tracing on the family tree to find people who were.

20 minutes ago, 151 said:

None of us has empathy for the victims of the Holocaust. Ridiculous to even pretend you do. I think we all have sympathy for them, but you cannot blame Germans who weren't alive then for it...That is also ridiculous - like blaming Italians for Caesar selling hundreds of thousands of Gauls into slavery.

17 minutes ago, 151 said:

I'm aware they weren't involved. However, it doesn't take much tracing on the family tree to find people who were.

Oooft.  You're taking quite the stance here.  Good luck with that.

I'll check out here.

23 minutes ago, 151 said:

Of course not. And i never said any of the comments implied. All I said was...

"Its a tough one."

I hate Germany and pretty much everything about the nation, its RECENT history is literally disgusting and I still believe they harbour some of the nationalism that led to the atrocities. 

But of course, i'm talking absolute nonsense because the JKB posse think its relatable to mention stuff from hundreds of years ago in a TOTALLY different time to justify gassing children for absolutely nothing.

Just for some context, I served as an airborne engineer for over 8 years and have been to Auschwitz 1 and 2. Some of you armchair office workers that just try and slate Britain for its bloody and often horrible history just to be seen as some sort of PC warrior is laughable.

The million refugees will be interesting.

Immigrants generally improve the living standards of a nation. Certainly improve the sporting chances. Watch Germany in 2042. 

But pure breed people sometimes struggle. 

Edited by Mikey1874

2 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Oooft.  You're taking quite the stance here.  Good luck with that.

I'll check out here.

Aye a stance against killing 6 million innocent people alot of them women and children is "quite the stance" :rofl:

Bonkers.

5 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

None of us has empathy for the victims of the Holocaust. Ridiculous to even pretend you do. I think we all have sympathy for them, but you cannot blame Germans who weren't alive then for it...That is also ridiculous - like blaming Italians for Caesar selling hundreds of thousands of Gauls into slavery.

Empathy: the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

If you cannot understand or even begin to understand what those people must have went through then you must live a pretty empty life. 

Anyway, **** England football team and media, and **** Germany.

1 minute ago, 151 said:

Aye a stance against killing 6 million innocent people alot of them women and children is "quite the stance" :rofl:

Bonkers.

Oops, I meant to check out

I'm not a massive Isis fan, but I've got muslim mates.  Some of them are barely involved in all that stuff, you know.

You do see you are kind of being a wee bit of an oxymoron here.  Don't like a whole people due to crimes of other people of that creed.  Seen that before right?  What was the wee lad with the mouser's name again?

2 minutes ago, 151 said:

Empathy: the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

If you cannot understand or even begin to understand what those people must have went through then you must live a pretty empty life. 

Anyway, **** England football team and media, and **** Germany.

The one feeling humans have when viewing museums of the Holocaust is that you CANNOT understand and comprehend it...That's my experience of Sachsenhausen, the Riga Museum of the Holocaust and the SS museum in Berlin. The horror those people experienced cannot be empathised from seeing photos and objects. That is why people talk of the unimaginable horror of the Holocaust. Even when you see it you cannot experience it.

1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

Oops, I meant to check out

I'm not a massive Isis fan, but I've got muslim mates.  Some of them are barely involved in all that stuff, you know.

You do see you are kind of being a wee bit of an oxymoron here.  Don't like a whole people due to crimes of other people of that creed.  Seen that before right?  What was the wee lad with the mouser's name again?

Wow. 

If i knew how to block I would but if you want to do so you can. 

Trying to put me in the same boat as the Nazis because I hate them for what they did to innocent people :lol:

The word innocent being the word you need to try and focus on here. I don't hate Germans for the war, they were soldiers ordered to fight. Just like ours.

I'll give you a basic Geography lesson here. Isis are a terrorist organisation, not a nation. The Nazi Party were supported by the entire country. German people literally thought they could do what they wanted and some of the men, and women in uniforms commited atrocities that you clearly cannot fathom, or maybe are in denial of, I don't know.

If one of your muslim friends suddenly said yeah my dad was part of ISIS (using father for the context of time) would you feel differently about them? 

Probably not judging by your posts but for me, my opinion (woooah not on JKB surely)  is that you only need to go back to these folks fathers and uncles to find SS soldiers and people who literally gassed children and used their mothers perfumes to make the chamber smell better, whilst their father if allowed to stay alive a little longer would be ordered to sift through their clothes and belongings for anything worth money. 

I am well aware of the fact that ****ing Thomas Muller isn't going about after the game frog marching, but I still feel that the Germans harbour the feeling that they are some sort of Elite and genuinely wouldn't put it past some of them feeling like they were hard done by still paying for damages etc.

1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

The one feeling humans have when viewing museums of the Holocaust is that you CANNOT understand and comprehend it...That's my experience of Sachsenhausen, the Riga Museum of the Holocaust and the SS museum in Berlin. The horror those people experienced cannot be empathised from seeing photos and objects. That is why people talk of the unimaginable horror of the Holocaust. Even when you see it you cannot experience it.

So because YOU don't feel it, no one can?

Do you have children? 

You cannot possibly imagine the feelings they went through?

1 minute ago, 151 said:

Wow. 

Trying to put me in the same boat as the Nazis because I hate them for what they did to innocent people :lol:

The word innocent being the word you need to try and focus on here. I don't hate Germans for the war, they were soldiers ordered to fight. Just like ours.

I'll give you a basic Geography lesson here. Isis are a terrorist organisation, not a nation. The Nazi Party were supported by the entire country. German people literally thought they could do what they wanted and some of the men, and women in uniforms commited atrocities that you clearly cannot fathom, or maybe are in denial of, I don't know.

If one of your muslim friends suddenly said yeah my dad was part of ISIS (using father for the context of time) would you feel differently about them? 

Probably not judging by your posts but for me, my opinion (woooah not on JKB surely)  is that you only need to go back to these folks fathers and uncles to find SS soldiers and people who literally gassed children and used their mothers perfumes to make the chamber smell better, whilst their father if allowed to stay alive a little longer would be ordered to sift through their clothes and belongings for anything worth money. 

I am well aware of the fact that ****ing Thomas Muller isn't going about after the game frog marching, but I still feel that the Germans harbour the feeling that they are some sort of Elite and genuinely wouldn't put it past some of them feeling like they were hard done by still paying for damages etc.

Yeah I don't usually get in to opinions, especially political on JKB, so am bowing out.  If we were chatting face to face, it all seems less extreme, know what I mean?

We seem to disagree on this, fair to say!

1 minute ago, 151 said:

So because YOU don't feel it, no one can?

Do you have children? 

You cannot possibly imagine the feelings they went through?

Imagining feelings is nothing like experiencing them. That's all. 

If you're going to dislike international football teams based on historic atrocities committed by governments of those nations, then you're probably better off not watching international football at all.

Trying to single out any one nation as inherently more evil than all the others is bonkers.

Educate yourself.

11 minutes ago, 151 said:

Wow. 

Utter dogshit to a large extent I'd be so bold as to venture. 

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Italy v Austria could be tasty.

Well after all there was all that winter war business back in WW1. Nasty stuff.

7 minutes ago, Cade said:

If you're going to dislike international football teams based on historic atrocities committed by governments of those nations, then you're probably better off not watching international football at all.

Trying to single out any one nation as inherently more evil than all the others is bonkers.

Educate yourself.

I didn't say I disliked a football team based on the above. I dislike Germany for the atrocities they commited during WW1 and 2. 

I am staggered that this is hard to understand. A sad state of affairs.

6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Utter dogshit to a large extent I'd be so bold as to venture. 

Yeh? 

A holocaust denier :lol:

Didn't think there would be one among us.

15 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Imagining feelings is nothing like experiencing them.

Ok mate cool. 

I guess that is how murderers and stuff are born - people who cannot understand the feelings of others.

Bareing in mind your pedantic critique of me using the word empathy - and the word understanding being a key word in the definition.

Edited by 151

1 minute ago, 151 said:

Yeh? 

A holocaust denier :lol:

Didn't think there would be one among us.

That’s a long old stretch you’ve made there. And a pretty disgusting accusation to say the least.