Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• RobboM

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mikey1874

Their last 2 games postponed but here's the chance midweek for East Kilbride to win the Lowland League.

Footballfirst

Now that East Kilbride has clinched both the LL title, who they will face in the HL/LL playoff remains up for grabs with 3 HL sides still in contention going into the final week of games, Brechin, Fraseburgh and Buckie.  Brechin remains favourite with points in the bag and an advantageous goal difference, but the gap can be closed, with any dropped points likely to be pivotal.

Pos P W D L GF GA GD P  
Brechin City FC 1 32 24 3 5 87 27 60 75  
Fraserburgh FC 2 32 23 3 6 89 37 52 72  
Buckie Thistle FC 3 31 23 3 5 84 33 51 72

Remaining fixtures

15 April Buckie v Strathspey 

16 April Brechin v Keith

17 April Strathspey v Buckie, Fraserburgh v Brora

20 April Brora v Brechin,  Buckie v Keith,  Fraserburgh v Strathspey

Strathspey's involvement could be key, given that they have conceded 127 goals thus far.  The opportunity is there for Buckie, in particular, to take advantage of their two games in midweek against the bottom club, while Fraserburgh play them on the final day. Brora has games against both Brechin and Fraserburgh, so there is definitely scope for dropped points, similarly with Keith playing both Brechin and Buckie.

section s heart
11 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Now that East Kilbride has clinched both the LL title, who they will face in the HL/LL playoff remains up for grabs with 3 HL sides still in contention going into the final week of games, Brechin, Fraseburgh and Buckie.  Brechin remains favourite with points in the bag and an advantageous goal difference, but the gap can be closed, with any dropped points likely to be pivotal.

Pos P W D L GF GA GD P  
Brechin City FC 1 32 24 3 5 87 27 60 75  
Fraserburgh FC 2 32 23 3 6 89 37 52 72  
Buckie Thistle FC 3 31 23 3 5 84 33 51 72

Remaining fixtures

15 April Buckie v Strathspey 

16 April Brechin v Keith

17 April Strathspey v Buckie, Fraserburgh v Brora

20 April Brora v Brechin,  Buckie v Keith,  Fraserburgh v Strathspey

Strathspey's involvement could be key, given that they have conceded 127 goals thus far.  The opportunity is there for Buckie, in particular, to take advantage of their two games in midweek against the bottom club, while Fraserburgh play them on the final day. Brora has games against both Brechin and Fraserburgh, so there is definitely scope for dropped points, similarly with Keith playing both Brechin and Buckie.

Have been following that, looks like an interesting finish. Could easily see Strathspey losing a shed load of goals this week, and Buckie winning the league. 

Footballfirst
On 14/04/2024 at 08:09, section s heart said:

Have been following that, looks like an interesting finish. Could easily see Strathspey losing a shed load of goals this week, and Buckie winning the league. 

In tonight's Buckie v Strathspey game, Buckie went 2-0 up within 5 minutes, but it is only 3-1 at half time.

Footballfirst

Finished 6-1 to Buckie, so now on level points with Brechin with the same number of games played, but a 4 goal deficit.

PortyJambo
15 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Finished 6-1 to Buckie, so now on level points with Brechin with the same number of games played, but a 4 goal deficit.

One of Buckie's 2 games left is against Strathspey (away) again, so it's going to be close and highly likely to go down to goal difference for the title. They also have Keith (home) left to play, whilst Brechin have Keith (away) and Brora Rangers (away) left. Brechin look to have the slightly harder games left to improve their GD. 

Edited by PortyJambo

PortyJambo

Brechin beat Keith 1-0 to go 3 points clear again, Buckie get the chance to go level on points again and possibly get closer on goal difference when they play bottom club Strathspey away tomorrow night.

dumpson

Buckie will win it, I’d expect them to give Strathspey a thumping tomorrow. Keith might prove tricky in their final game but would expect them to have enough to beat them. 

I could see Brechin bottling it in Brora too (although it’s actually being played in Golspie)

Jambo in Yorkshire

Strollers have done really well to finish 8th considering there are 4 ex league clubs and a number of ex juniors with better resources.

Im not sure how many teams will be relegated but Edin Uni will need to win at Gretna to move above them. 

I think relegation might depend upon East Kilbride getting into League 2 and who they beat?

RustyRightPeg
9 minutes ago, Jambo in Yorkshire said:

Strollers have done really well to finish 8th considering there are 4 ex league clubs and a number of ex juniors with better resources.

Im not sure how many teams will be relegated but Edin Uni will need to win at Gretna to move above them. 

I think relegation might depend upon East Kilbride getting into League 2 and who they beat?

They always punch above their weight, have done since they went into that league. 

Happy for them, good club.

section s heart
13 hours ago, dumpson said:

Buckie will win it, I’d expect them to give Strathspey a thumping tomorrow. Keith might prove tricky in their final game but would expect them to have enough to beat them. 

I could see Brechin bottling it in Brora too (although it’s actually being played in Golspie)

Agree. A (feasible) 5 goal win for Buckie at Strathspey brings them level with Brechin but ahead on goals scored, then a H v Keith looks an easier prospect than an A v Brora. 

Stanley_
32 minutes ago, Jambo in Yorkshire said:

Their manager (Gary Jardine, ex-Edinburgh City manager) seems to have a very good record at that level.

0 teams relegated from Lowland League = Forfar/Elgin relegated (looking very unlikely now) and EK promoted

2 teams relegated from Lowland League = Clyde/Stranraer/Bonnyrigg relegated and Brechin/Buckie/Fraserburgh promoted

Everything else results in one team relegated. 

dumpson
52 minutes ago, section s heart said:

Agree. A (feasible) 5 goal win for Buckie at Strathspey brings them level with Brechin but ahead on goals scored, then a H v Keith looks an easier prospect than an A v Brora. 

I could see them getting one hand on the trophy with a hefty win tonight tbh !

Mikey1874
8 hours ago, dumpson said:

I could see them getting one hand on the trophy with a hefty win tonight tbh !

65th minute

20240417_213237.jpg

Edited by Mikey1874

PortyJambo

7-0 to Buckie at FT, that's them top now on goal difference. Only have to equal Brechin's result away to Brora when they play Keith at home to win the league and play East Kilbride in the promotion playoffs.

Jambo in Yorkshire

Buckie win the League assuming Brechin don’t get 15 mins injury time!!

Edited by Jambo in Yorkshire

PortyJambo

Nae luck Brechin :smuggy:

Although Buckie's green and white hooped strip gives me the :sick:....so come on East Kilbride in the playoffs.

In the Lowland League it was winner stays up fixture as Gretna beat  Edinburgh Uni 2-1.
Edinburgh Uni drop to the East of Scotland Premier Division

Stanley_
41 minutes ago, RobboM said:

In the Lowland League it was winner stays up fixture as Gretna beat  Edinburgh Uni 2-1.

Gretna aren't confirmed as safe yet. If Buckie go up then Gretna are down too.

Footballfirst
40 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Gretna can still get relegated if Buckie beats EK then wins the playoff v Club 42. 

Footballfirst

The Club 42 position is still still to be decided with three teams involved and just two games left.

Bonnyrigg 35pts,  -5 GD  Stenhousemuir (A), Forfar (H)

Stranraer 33pts, -15 GD  Forfar (A), Stenhousemuir (H)

Clyde 32pts, -16 GD  East Fife (H), Elgin (A)

I think Clyde could win both games, while Bonnyrigg and Stranraer face the same two teams.  The title and playoff places at the top of L2 are already decided, so none of the teams facing the bottom three have anything to play for. 

Tommy Brown
13 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Gretna can still get relegated if Buckie beats EK then wins the playoff v Club 42. 

How does that work?

Are two teams promoted from East and West regions?

That would make sense if EK go up to Div2, that Gretna would get spared. Not understanding it if EK stay in Lowland.

I'm sure East and West have a play off.

Tommy Brown

Could be a tight finish for play off spot at bottom of League 2.

I'm hoping Clyde can avoid it, too much good history. The Rose and Stranraer have Stenny to to play.

Baldwigforjack
2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

How does that work?

Are two teams promoted from East and West regions?

That would make sense if EK go up to Div2, that Gretna would get spared. Not understanding it if EK stay in Lowland.

I'm sure East and West have a play off.

If Buckie were to go up, club 42 will be going to lowland so there would be more than the required teams in that division, thus an extra relegated side(Gretna) would be needed for the Lowland to get back to 16 teams(or 18 if B teams are in it next season)

EDIT: Only one team promoted to the Lowland, looking like either Broxburn or Beith

Edited by Baldwigforjack

davemclaren
2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Could be a tight finish for play off spot at bottom of League 2.

I'm hoping Clyde can avoid it, too much good history. The Rose and Stranraer have Stenny to to play.

Hopefully Bonnyrigg will stay up. A bit unlucky yesterday but a cracking goal from Spartans. 

Mikey1874

Clyde would probably be big favourites for first relegated side to get promoted. 

Tommy Brown
43 minutes ago, Baldwigforjack said:

If Buckie were to go up, club 42 will be going to lowland so there would be more than the required teams in that division, thus an extra relegated side(Gretna) would be needed for the Lowland to get back to 16 teams(or 18 if B teams are in it next season)

EDIT: Only one team promoted to the Lowland, looking like either Broxburn or Beith

Cheers, having a senior moment, forgot about a team getting relegated :mmtaxi:

Unfortunately Elgin aren't in the mix.

That chairman prick deserves relegation.

Footballfirst
54 minutes ago, Baldwigforjack said:

I don't know if Beith has obtained an SFA licence as yet. If not there would still be a playoff between the EOS and SOS champions, i.e. probably Broxburn and Dalbeattie. 

Rooting for Buckie to come up. Never back the SPFL club to stay up although don't want to see Stranraer or Bonnyrigg go down. **** Clyde however. I also can't take to East Kilbride coming up. Don't know what it is about them, but just not a fan at all. I'd generally favour the Lowland sides over their Highland counterparts but this might be the one exception.

11 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Clyde would probably be big favourites for first relegated side to get promoted. 

I wonder if McCall would stay on if they go down. Would be pretty mental to see him managing a Lowland League side, a little over a year after managing a side aiming for promotion to the Premiership.

Footballfirst

HL/LL Playoff binned because Buckie failed to get a Bronze licence.  

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scottish-fa-statement-pyramid-play-off-tie/?rid=13929

Thursday 25 April 2024

The Scottish FA regrets to announce that Buckie Thistle FC will not be eligible to participate in the Pyramid Play-Off tie between the champions of the Scottish Highland and Lowland Football Leagues this weekend.

Under Pyramid Play-Off Rules, it is a prerequisite for participants to comply with SPFL Membership Criteria, specifically in this instance a Bronze-level club licence award from the Scottish FA.

Buckie Thistle does not comply with this criterion following its failure to obtain an award by the Licensing Committee yesterday.

Consequently, the match will no longer take place and East Kilbride FC, who were granted a bronze licence by the committee, will proceed to the cinch League Two play-off final against eventual Club 42.

Scottish FA spokesperson: “The Licensing Committee considered a range of eligibility criteria in respect of Buckie Thistle’s application. Unfortunately, the submission did not meet the requirements for the award of a Bronze licence.

“All SHFL and SLFL clubs were written to in December last year to advise that the audit process would be accelerated for those clubs with a chance of promotion, in light of the SPFL’s updated membership criteria requirements.

"The Scottish FA’s club licensing department has been in regular dialogue with Buckie Thistle since then to notify the club of, and provide ample time to address, issues highlighted in their Club Licensing Report.

“Unfortunately, these issues were not addressed by the club prior to yesterday’s licensing committee decision.”

SPFL spokesperson: “Every club was made aware in summer last year of the need to have a Scottish FA Bronze Licence to participate in the SPFL. Regrettably, Buckie Thistle failed to respond to any of the three subsequent follow-up letters sent in October, February and March.

“They are not compliant with SPFL Rules and failed to apply for a period of grace by the 31 March 2024 deadline. The SPFL Board has huge sympathy for Buckie and their fans, but has no option but to enforce our Rules.”

Edited by Footballfirst

7 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

HL/LL Playoff binned because Buckie failed to get a Bronze licence.  

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scottish-fa-statement-pyramid-play-off-tie/?rid=13929

Thursday 25 April 2024

The Scottish FA regrets to announce that Buckie Thistle FC will not be eligible to participate in the Pyramid Play-Off tie between the champions of the Scottish Highland and Lowland Football Leagues this weekend.

Under Pyramid Play-Off Rules, it is a prerequisite for participants to comply with SPFL Membership Criteria, specifically in this instance a Bronze-level club licence award from the Scottish FA.

Buckie Thistle does not comply with this criterion following its failure to obtain an award by the Licensing Committee yesterday.

Consequently, the match will no longer take place and East Kilbride FC, who were granted a bronze licence by the committee, will proceed to the cinch League Two play-off final against eventual Club 42.

Scottish FA spokesperson: “The Licensing Committee considered a range of eligibility criteria in respect of Buckie Thistle’s application. Unfortunately, the submission did not meet the requirements for the award of a Bronze licence.

“All SHFL and SLFL clubs were written to in December last year to advise that the audit process would be accelerated for those clubs with a chance of promotion, in light of the SPFL’s updated membership criteria requirements.

"The Scottish FA’s club licensing department has been in regular dialogue with Buckie Thistle since then to notify the club of, and provide ample time to address, issues highlighted in their Club Licensing Report.

“Unfortunately, these issues were not addressed by the club prior to yesterday’s licensing committee decision.”

SPFL spokesperson: “Every club was made aware in summer last year of the need to have a Scottish FA Bronze Licence to participate in the SPFL. Regrettably, Buckie Thistle failed to respond to any of the three subsequent follow-up letters sent in October, February and March.

“They are not compliant with SPFL Rules and failed to apply for a period of grace by the 31 March 2024 deadline. The SPFL Board has huge sympathy for Buckie and their fans, but has no option but to enforce our Rules.”

Call me a cynic, but this reeks of their are enough Highland teams in the SPFL, we didn't want another. With the possibility of either Bonnyrigg Rose or Clyde falling out the league, EK, are the most convenient replacement.

Footballfirst

There's also the argument that a number of HL sides don't actually want to be promoted with all the additional travelling and costs involved (although they would receive a share of the SPFL distribution of a minimum of £50k and entry to the various cups).

I wonder how Brechin feel now about losing out on the HL title on the last day.

Footballfirst

Here's a list of the licensing status published yesterday.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/11752/240424-club-licensing-awards.pdf

Strangely, Airdrie, Cove, Kelty, Edinburgh City and Peterhead still don't have a Bronze licence.

I note that Beith still doesn't have a licence, so cannot participate in the LL Playoff with the EOS and SOS champions, should they win the WOS Premiership.

32 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Strangely, Airdrie, Cove, Kelty, Edinburgh City and Peterhead still don't have a Bronze licence.

I note that Beith still doesn't have a licence, so cannot participate in the LL Playoff with the EOS and SOS champions, should they win the WOS Premiership.

I see that Tynecastle is classed as silver. I assume that's pitch size or run off area, or some other technicality that reduces it from gold?

5 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

I see that Tynecastle is classed as silver. I assume that's pitch size or run off area, or some other technicality that reduces it from gold?

Noticed that too, Tynecastle is the same as Killie and Motherwell but lower rated  than Hibs. Never liked the SFA.

1 minute ago, EIEIO said:

Noticed that too, Tynecastle is the same as Killie and Motherwell but lower rated  than Hibs. Never liked the SFA.

Just checked the 210 page SFA manual!!! Pitch size is definitely silver. That annoys me more than it should!!! Ha!!!

RustyRightPeg
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

There's also the argument that a number of HL sides don't actually want to be promoted with all the additional travelling and costs involved (although they would receive a share of the SPFL distribution of a minimum of £50k and entry to the various cups).

I wonder how Brechin feel now about losing out on the HL title on the last day.

Did the HL know about this? Brechin will feel aggrieved and probably ask if the HL were aware why they didn’t set up a similar arrangement to the B Teams down here not being able to progress surely?

20 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Did the HL know about this? Brechin will feel aggrieved and probably ask if the HL were aware why they didn’t set up a similar arrangement to the B Teams down here not being able to progress surely?

I don't think the Highland League have any authority to amend the promotion rules and it would in the control of the SPFL.

RustyRightPeg
19 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

I don't think the Highland League have any authority to amend the promotion rules and it would in the control of the SPFL.

Point remains then surely the SLFL must step in. I’d say for integrity purposes but we know they have none. 

I’ve read Brechin wouldn’t have been able to play either, is that correct? Any idea who the first team who’d be able to play would’ve been?

jamboinglasgow
2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Reading those ratings, it does seem the only reason that the Old Firm are rated platinum with all golds while other teams with all golds are rated gold is because they are the Old Firm.

2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Licensing applications have been closed off for a long time so it was impossible for Beith to get an application even if they tried to.

1 hour ago, JamboGraham said:

Just checked the 210 page SFA manual!!! Pitch size is definitely silver. That annoys me more than it should!!! Ha!!!

But we are rated higher than easter road by uefa 🤔

While we might get fuller information, an SPFL chairman who previously said he expected clubs to be granted waivers when challenged about this last year, has just said Buckie didn't apply for a waiver (deadline 31 March) and didn't reply to a series of contacts from the SPFL. 

2 minutes ago, Locky said:

Buckie have just released a statement basically calling out the SPFL. On phone, if anyone would be kind enough to post the link.

22 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

While we might get fuller information, an SPFL chairman who previously said he expected clubs to be granted waivers when challenged about this last year, has just said Buckie didn't apply for a waiver (deadline 31 March) and didn't reply to a series of contacts from the SPFL. 

Buckie statement claims they've held regular contact with SPFL and are on verge of having all requirements completed by the middle of May. Interesting.