Dominic Cummings

ri Alban

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It would. But I'm not saying they will. I'm saying unless sort their vaccine programme out they'll still be living under restrictions and suppression measures for many months to come long after we've returned to normality

Until everywhere is back to 'normal' gauging who's done 'worst' and 'best' isn't really possible was all I was saying.

Which is why Biden attempting to waive vaccine patents is important, yet the U.K. doesn’t back it. Until everyone has access to the vaccine “normal” whatever that was, won’t  return. 

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Enzo Chiefo

• Governor Tarkin

• Pasquale for King

• ri Alban

The Mighty Thor
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Which is why Biden attempting to waive vaccine patents is important, yet the U.K. doesn’t back it. Until everyone has access to the vaccine “normal” whatever that was, won’t  return. 

A very good point that our client journalists seem unable to ask.

The vaccine roll out, which has been a phenomenal achievement, has become the life raft this shower of incompetents cling to for dear life. 

20 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

A very good point that our client journalists seem unable to ask.

The vaccine roll out, which has been a phenomenal achievement, has become the life raft this shower of incompetents cling to for dear life. 

Exactly what that balloon Hancock said. When asked if mistakes were made at the start of the pandemic, he replied that he had been working on the vaccine last January. 
They’re basically untouchable. 

A Boy Named Crow
37 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It would. But I'm not saying they will. I'm saying unless sort their vaccine programme out they'll still be living under restrictions and suppression measures for many months to come long after we've returned to normality

Until everywhere is back to 'normal' gauging who's done 'worst' and 'best' isn't really possible was all I was saying.

They are talking about having everyone vaccinated in Australia by the end of the year. If they manage that, I'd say a few months more of a properly closed border definitely tops 150,000+ people dying.

The UK government handled this appallingly, and all the vaccines in the world won't bring back the folk who lost their lives.

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

Jambo-Jimbo
19 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Something which may have little real effect on the actual supply of vaccines, simply because there is already a huge strain on supplies of all the components of the vaccines, which some are struggling to keep up with the demand as it is.

You could easily end up with a similar situation like everyone found with PPE, the whole world after the same items at the same time, that then opens things up to the scammers & criminals, then you could find you have serious safety issues.

Waiving the patents sounds a great idea, but as with a lot of other things, it's sometimes not that simple and often involves a lot of complex processes & hurdles when you look beyond the headline.

highlandjambo3
14 hours ago, RobboM said:

He is now claiming that it was security concerns for his family that really motivated him. He claims his wife phoned to say a group of people were outside he house threatening to kill him. Thing is it was on 25 February. That's nearly a month before his Covid infected dash to the North. After a couple of weeks they headed straight back to that exact same security risk? WTF?
He also said "it had already been decided that I was going to move my family out of London regardless of Covid rules."

So, he’ll have called the police then with these security concerns and, I’m sure many sources could collaborate this…..his wife obviously took a picture of this gang of killers, as did his neighbours, as well as multiple CCTV images of said gang…………..I don’t think so.

9 minutes ago, Boab said:

Exactly what that balloon Hancock said. When asked if mistakes were made at the start of the pandemic, he replied that he had been working on the vaccine last January. 
They’re basically untouchable. 

It appears to be that way. Perhaps if they know that they're untouchable in the polls then there's no pressure to get errant individuals to step down. And the electorate in the UK currently appear to be letting them get away with anything.

15 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

They are talking about having everyone vaccinated in Australia by the end of the year. If they manage that, I'd say a few months more of a properly closed border definitely tops 150,000+ people dying.

The UK government handled this appallingly, and all the vaccines in the world won't bring back the folk who lost their lives.

No, it won't bring them back but it will bring back a semblance of living to those who are still alive. People can't un-die and the past can't be changed. What's important now is keeping hospitalisations low, death minimal and opening back up and restoring the economy and a decent way of life. There's nothing we can now do to change what's happened other than to learn from it, so I'm in favour of being somewhere that's now finishing strongly.

That doesn't excuse the mistakes that were made, but the two aren't mutually exclusive (deaths low and good recovery). We could maybe have achieved both, maybe we couldn't, who knows, but we didn't.

Come this time next year the UK will be 'mid-table' in total death rates for European and Western countries imo, whilst being well ahead in our recovery. 

I don't see how it would be better to be in local lockdowns and waiting until the end of the year for everyone being vaccinated vs where we are. But hey, that's just me.

Edited by Taffin

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

It appears to be that way. Perhaps if they know that they're untouchable in the polls then there's no pressure to get errant individuals to step down. And the electorate in the UK currently appear to be letting them get away with anything.

Not letting them get away with it, they're actively cheering them on through over 130,000 deaths, ineptitude, lying, cronyism and so the story rolls on.

Pasquale for King
19 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Something which may have little real effect on the actual supply of vaccines, simply because there is already a huge strain on supplies of all the components of the vaccines, which some are struggling to keep up with the demand as it is.

You could easily end up with a similar situation like everyone found with PPE, the whole world after the same items at the same time, that then opens things up to the scammers & criminals, then you could find you have serious safety issues.

Waiving the patents sounds a great idea, but as with a lot of other things, it's sometimes not that simple and often involves a lot of complex processes & hurdles when you look beyond the headline.

I think the PPE scammers are employed at Westminster. 
Like anything else in demand it can be made by more companies if they have a formula for it, which is the idea. If it’s left with the 5-10 companies already proudicing vaccines it will take years. 
Let’s get every country producing it for the good of everyone, a scary thought for most I know. 

AZ vaccine is only 60% effective against the Indian variant.

That's worrying. Complacency cannot be allowed to take root.

coconut doug
4 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

:berra:

This is post is just wrong and scarily so.

The cliff note version of how the UK has borrows money.

The UK borrow money via the issue of bonds, these bonds are bought and sold via the financial markets as investments. The central bank act as a lender of last resort and will buy  any unused bonds, which are then issued re-issued to the markets at later day. The UK has, indulged in a fair bit of QE, this is not without its issues as we are seeing with the increasing inflation. WHilst, QE is never sustainable as your just devalueing your money, so its far from ideal.

THe UK has borrowing has reached record peacetime levels during this crisis. The UK has not just printed money its borrowing at record levels which needs to be paid back. 

This is real money the UK money is borrowing and will required to be paid back. Institutions  who buy bonds aren’t going to get stiffed by the UK for the debts, the consequences of that are too great.

So who are we borrowing this money from and how do they get it?

Governor Tarkin
33 minutes ago, Cade said:

Might as well just top ourselves now then.

Adam_the_legend
33 minutes ago, Cade said:

Media headlines rarely reflect the nuance behind the science.

coconut doug
1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

The bonds are dealt on the financial markets. They are purchased by a variety of institutions for investment purposes, if you are invested in funds or you have pensions you will most likely have exposure to them. The investors buy the bonds from the government. 

Bonds  and gilds are just another financial market, essentially like every other market.

How do they get it? I have no idea what you mean. However, I’ll take a guess you mean how does the U.K. govt get this money. Finance is just one big financial ledger essentially, so its not all that different from how you get paid.  It goes out some account into another account. The govts move it from their accounts to where the are spending, and so forth. Is the simplest explanation.

That's what normally happens but not in this case. 96% of UK bonds issued since Covid have not been purchase. Thats why interest rates have quadrupled in the last few months. Still under 1% and still no serious amounts of takers.

The question remains - if the uk cant get investors to buy their bonds where does the money come from?

47 minutes ago, Cade said:

It's also only 66% effective at stopping symptomatic infection of the Kent variant.

However it is close to 100% effective at stopping severe symptoms (hospitalisation/ICU/death) after 2 doses - hopefully this will also be the case with the Indian one.

Edited by Ray Gin

3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Taiwan are currently on a grand total of 46 deaths. It would take a cluster**** of Hancock proportions for them to catch up on the UK now.

Or some honesty about the number. 

95% AZ and Pfizer after the 2nd dose. But I think we may have 3rd jag in November. Just for fun. 

JudyJudyJudy
31 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Might as well just top ourselves now then.

As the old saying goes “ some people would put years on you” Jesus hand me the razor blades 

Space Mackerel
14 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Your failure to understand that the U.K. government borrowed that money and Scotland would’ve done the same is par for the course really.
As for the luck that AZ produced a vaccine quicker than anywhere else, and normal protocols were ignored, and the under funded NHS rolled it out is somehow down the BJ and his dodgy pals is laughable. 

Enzo actually thinks the BoE has pallets full of £50 notes. :rofl:

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Taffin said:

No, it won't bring them back but it will bring back a semblance of living to those who are still alive. People can't un-die and the past can't be changed. What's important now is keeping hospitalisations low, death minimal and opening back up and restoring the economy and a decent way of life. There's nothing we can now do to change what's happened other than to learn from it, so I'm in favour of being somewhere that's now finishing strongly.

That doesn't excuse the mistakes that were made, but the two aren't mutually exclusive (deaths low and good recovery). We could maybe have achieved both, maybe we couldn't, who knows, but we didn't.

Come this time next year the UK will be 'mid-table' in total death rates for European and Western countries imo, whilst being well ahead in our recovery. 

I don't see how it would be better to be in local lockdowns and waiting until the end of the year for everyone being vaccinated vs where we are. But hey, that's just me.

Great post 

44 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

That is not a good article. The central premise is totally incorrect.

You forget to add “ cause I don’t agree with it “ 

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

I shouldn’t really reply to his nonsense but it’s difficult. 
His and anyone else’s defence of someone who said let the bodies pile high in their thousands, it’s only killing 80 year olds is frankly disgusting. 
It will be the phrase he’s most remembered for. 

The Real Maroonblood
26 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

:laugh2:

Space Mackerel
19 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I shouldn’t really reply to his nonsense but it’s difficult. 
His and anyone else’s defence of someone who said let the bodies pile high in their thousands, it’s only killing 80 year olds is frankly disgusting. 

Enzo, Chief of the Dunderheids has single handedly alone pulled down the PISA ratings for Scotland.

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Enzo, Chief of the Dunderheids has single handedly alone pulled down the PISA ratings for Scotland.

:lol:

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

😂

coconut doug
17 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I’m calling BS of your stat and your fundamentally failing to understand how the markets work.

There is no doubt the BofE, is using bonds as cheap borrowing. However, that in itself isn’t all that surprising considering the implications on the bond prices and the requirements to keep interest rates rock. They will still find there way onto markets in due course, especially when the economy kicks in and tunes need to start getting played.  

Thats not the question to be honest and your clearly no idea what you are talking about, if you think thats the question.

So lets keep this on point, your post about the UK not borrowing any money during this crisis is a nonsense and we’re not just printing money or what I assumed your meant QE  Let’s agree on that and move forward 👍

There is no such thing as cheap borrowing. The market sets the rate and the idea that somehow you can get cheap money because you are the UK is silly. Rates are based on a number of factors and sentiment or UK exceptionalism isn't one of them.

I never said the UK didn't borrow money. I said that 96% of their bonds were unsold and that was true at one time. In order to respond to that the UK increased the bond yields. This means that the so -called cheap loans we are able to uniquely acquire because of our fantastic fiscal regime are no longer quite as cheap as you financial experts would tell us they are. In fact you could invest in many countries bonds that pay less than that offered by the UK. Presumably because they have a less risky prospect. 

It's a market and things change though but its hard to justify the perceived wisdom that the Uk is well placed to benefit from low interest rates when our rates are rising and are higher than many countries already. Hard to see how this gets any better when we have had such an economic hit from Covid compared to our rivals.

Where else apart form bond issues are we borrowing from? If we can't sell our bonds we have to print money. Never ending austerity wont work either.

Francis Albert
4 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

If patents are just torn up who is going to invest billions on pharmaceuticals? The strength of big pharma is what has produce the remarkable success in development of effective vaccines for a novel virus in record time. 

Of course there may be other ways the industry could be structured but just tearing up patents is not in itself a solution.

Edited by Francis Albert

6 hours ago, coconut doug said:

This is absolute rubbish. The U.K. hasn't borrowed money. They haven't managed to do this because we are the UK and we have a central bank so we get good interest rates. Nobody has bought our debt either. All we have done is print money.

14 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

There is no such thing as cheap borrowing. The market sets the rate and the idea that somehow you can get cheap money because you are the UK is silly. Rates are based on a number of factors and sentiment or UK exceptionalism isn't one of them.

I never said the UK didn't borrow money. I said that 96% of their bonds were unsold and that was true at one time. In order to respond to that the UK increased the bond yields. This means that the so -called cheap loans we are able to uniquely acquire because of our fantastic fiscal regime are no longer quite as cheap as you financial experts would tell us they are. In fact you could invest in many countries bonds that pay less than that offered by the UK. Presumably because they have a less risky prospect. 

It's a market and things change though but its hard to justify the perceived wisdom that the Uk is well placed to benefit from low interest rates when our rates are rising and are higher than many countries already. Hard to see how this gets any better when we have had such an economic hit from Covid compared to our rivals.

Where else apart form bond issues are we borrowing from? If we can't sell our bonds we have to print money. Never ending austerity wont work either.

🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

5 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Don’t think these ‘revelations’ are going to change anything. I doubt it will lead to anything significant and suspect Hancock even keeps his job. 

People will take what they want out of Cummings, to suit their own narrative. People aren’t all interested in the truth and probably even less interested in learning lessons. It’s about pushing their own agenda in the main thats as true of JKB as it is Westminster😃

Very much so imo , you could hear it in a lot of the questions and who they were coming from yesterday that objectivity wasnt high on the priority list. There is either a very real chance of Cummings being legally in the shit or there was a lot of truth in what was said. Unfortunately its unlikely we will know which it is as it will be pulled and pushed in whatever direction suits the parties agendas and as usual the people will be the ones who lose out on real answers and accountability.

4 minutes ago, sadj said:

Very much so imo , you could hear it in a lot of the questions and who they were coming from yesterday that objectivity wasnt high on the priority list. There is either a very real chance of Cummings being legally in the shit or there was a lot of truth in what was said. Unfortunately its unlikely we will know which it is as it will be pulled and pushed in whatever direction suits the parties agendas and as usual the people will be the ones who lose out on real answers and accountability.

A very fair prediction of future events. 
I’m happy that Hancock looks like a man who was breastfed until he was 29. A ridiculous character.

Getting proper accountability is damn near impossible when they hold all the cards. 

9 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Scotland would not have had access to such large amounts of borrowed money. No credit history nor central bank, any money borrowed would be at a far higher interest rate too.

Boris appointed Kate Bingham to head up the vaccine procurement programme and was immediately accused of "cronyism". Both are due an apology,  however, that aside, she backed the right horses and the Govt supplied the financial backing and the rest is history. A real national success story and the bitter, twisted, Nationalist ministers who described our decision not to join the EU scheme as "madness" and "lunacy " - Sturgeon,  Mike Russell et al, should be down on their knees thanking the UK govt for going it alone. 

The vaccine procurement and roll out, all completed with the normal safety checks and processes, within a short space of time, has been world-leading and has shown up the EU for what it is.

not getting into this debate or a back and forth. However those points are very much open for debate. A central bank is easy to sort , the no credit history is irrelevant too , even taking on a percentage of UK debt independent economists have stated that Scotland would be able to borrow at very low rates of interest due to not having the crushing debt of most countries. Not going to google and find the info for you its either on the thread about the snp , about the election or the coronavirus thread somewhere. 

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Aye cause that forthright and trustworthy guy Dominic told us so :rofl:

6 minutes ago, Boab said:

A very fair prediction of future events. 
I’m happy that Hancock looks like a man who was breastfed until he was 29. A ridiculous character.

Getting proper accountability is damn near impossible when they hold all the cards. 

Ridiculous characters indeed

Edited by sadj
Pics wouldnt load 🙁

Just now, Lord BJ said:

Thats my major concern is we don’t learn lessons. Irrespective of people politics, I’m sure we can all agree we dont want to go through another shit show like this. We need to learn and change.

The whole squeezing the NHS , lack if PPE etc has long been forgotten too and its important we never end up back in a place where these things are ignored for profit or benefits of some.

Enzo Chiefo
9 minutes ago, sadj said:

not getting into this debate or a back and forth. However those points are very much open for debate. A central bank is easy to sort , the no credit history is irrelevant too , even taking on a percentage of UK debt independent economists have stated that Scotland would be able to borrow at very low rates of interest due to not having the crushing debt of most countries. Not going to google and find the info for you its either on the thread about the snp , about the election or the coronavirus thread somewhere. 

Not having a "debt" is a technicality that lenders are well aware of. Other economists have given us a "junk" rating. When we're spending £15bn more than we earn, each and every year, a debt we certainly do have. It's notional in the sense that the UK covers it for us. It also accounts for a disproportionate amount of total UK debt.

Any lender of repute would demand answers and guarantees from the SNP around their economic plans; something they have failed to provide at any point, either before or since the last referendum.  

coconut doug
19 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

You don’t even remember what you said less that few hours ago and your just making stuff up. 🤣

You clearly have no idea what your talking about as nothing above makes sense. I suspect googling like **** to try and present some form of argument. Your second last sentence is such a failure to even understand the most basic of economic principle tbqfhwy.  

O.k. What i meant was the UK hasn't borrowed serious money. 

They feared a collapse in the bond market. https://www.marketwatch.com/story/u-k-government-feared-bond-market-meltdown-from-covid-19-lockdown-cummings-says-11622029269

And they were right

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-bank-england-buys-200bn-22023387

£200bn in unsold uk bonds that had to be bought back by the Bank of England. with more to come according to the governnor.  He's spinning a yarn when he says it's to avoid austerity. The reality is they can't sell their bonds. Where do you thInk  they got the money for the puchase? Quantatative easing otherwise known as printing money is the answer.

You think the second lest sentence of my previous post is just about the silliest thing you've ever read. Why don't you tell me why instead of indulging in personal insults?

coconut doug
12 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Not having a "debt" is a technicality that lenders are well aware of. Other economists have given us a "junk" rating. When we're spending £15bn more than we earn, each and every year, a debt we certainly do have. It's notional in the sense that the UK covers it for us. It also accounts for a disproportionate amount of total UK debt.

Any lender of repute would demand answers and guarantees from the SNP around their economic plans; something they have failed to provide at any point, either before or since the last referendum.  

We dont spend £15billion more than we earn and we don't have a disproportionate level of debt as we don't have any debt. We dont even have a disproportionately high notional deficit with any part of the UK except London and the SE.

coconut doug
2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Great post 

You forget to add “ cause I don’t agree with it “ 

Why don't you tell me which bit you agree with and i'll see if i can show you how it is wrong?

coconut doug
7 hours ago, Taffin said:

She's a slaver. U-turns and contradictions left, right and centre. She would fit in well working with Westminster government too, in all honesty.

I don't suppose you are able to substantiate this statement.

Enzo Chiefo
9 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

We dont spend £15billion more than we earn and we don't have a disproportionate level of debt as we don't have any debt. We dont even have a disproportionately high notional deficit with any part of the UK except London and the SE.

My post explains quite clearly why we DO have a debt.  If you choose to wear Nationalist blinkers then I'm not surprised you don't see it. 

34 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Agreed. 

I assume no ill effect from vaccine and you pissed your neighbours of with banging and clanging.👍

I was fine yesterday feel like iv got the flu today though and a sore head. Nothing too bad a wee sleep and ill be fine 👍🏻 Cheers for asking.

coconut doug
10 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

If Scotland was to go independent, it should and IMO would need to set up its own central bank. That central bank would have all the capabilities that any other central bank has and Scotland would borrow money the same way every other country does. On the markets not getting the printing press out😂

How expensive Scotland borrowing would be in the future, is looking at in slightly the wrong way IMO. Scotland would be able to borrow on the markets, it may or may not be more expensive; my view is it would be more expensive and I could explain why but no one on JKB will agree with my view unless it suits them 😂. The issue is not so much the rate you borrow at but the amount of borrowing you do.

Scotland borrowing would likely need to be much greater than the UK currently does. The main reason is we will be setting up country, the demographics of Scotland (it needs younger immigrant coming into tbh, but thats another issue), general political philosophy.

As aside borrowing cost are likely to increase in the future across the globe for a variety of reasons. 

None of the above is for or against independence.

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

You owe @Enzo Chiefoan apology by the way.

Also, its pretty concerning you can’t explain what you actually mean. It makes discussion difficult tbqhwy.

Whilst, I see your still frantically googling and making an arse of yourself.  It was 94% of bonds were unsold not so long ago. The BofE is the lender of last resort off course it would buy unsold bonds, those bonds will be traded down the line. Thats how it works🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m not indulging in insults, I’m stating a fact. Unlike you who is making shit up. As you’re doing again, as I never claimed your second last sentence was the silliest thing I’d ever read. I stated it was a failure to understand the most basic economic principal.

You can google the pish your googling but you cant even google the most basic economic principles:vrface:

I will give you answer once you have apologised, satisfactorily, to Enzo:verysmug:

Why do i need to apologise to Enzo?

Jeffros Furios
2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Also, its pretty concerning you can’t explain what you actually mean. It makes discussion difficult tbqhwy.

Whilst, I see your still frantically googling and making an arse of yourself.  It was 94% of bonds were unsold not so long ago. The BofE is the lender of last resort off course it would buy unsold bonds, those bonds will be traded down the line. Thats how it works🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m not indulging in insults, I’m stating a fact. Unlike you who is making shit up. As you’re doing again, as I never claimed your second last sentence was the silliest thing I’d ever read. I stated it was a failure to understand the most basic economic principal.

You can google the pish your googling but you cant even google the most basic economic principles:vrface:

I will give you answer once you have apologised, satisfactorily, to Enzo:verysmug:

:greatpost:

Enzo Chiefo
2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Great post, your Lordship 👍

coconut doug
7 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

My post explains quite clearly why we DO have a debt.  If you choose to wear Nationalist blinkers then I'm not surprised you don't see it. 

Scotland doesn't have a debt unless we agree to having one after indy. I genuinely do not know where you get his notion from.

Governor Tarkin
32 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Great post, your Lordship 👍

Agreed.

P.S. were you up by Firrhill filling up a gas guzzling Chelsea tractor earlier today? Difficult to tell who's who with those **stard face coverings on. 🤷‍♂️

48 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

I don't suppose you are able to substantiate this statement.

It would just be a list of her u-turns on Twitter and the media. The article already showed some which you just discarded so I feel it wouldn't be worth it really.

Edited by Taffin