• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Enzo Chiefo

• Governor Tarkin

• Pasquale for King

• ri Alban

SectionDJambo

I see similarities in the behaviours and attitudes between Johnson and Trump in the early days of the spread of Covid. I’m left wondering if Johnson was taking advice from Trump, since they were best pals at that time and continually praising each other publicly.

I remember Trump claiming to have told May how to negotiate with the EU but that she had ignored him to the detriment of her and the UK. It seems feasible to me that he could have managed to get Johnson to go along with his nutty theories to keep his favour, since he had previous for sticking his nose in.
The complacency at the outset was staggering when you remember that we were being shown horrific images from Italy throughout February. How could any responsible UK politicians have thought it was just another flu when we saw what was happening in a nearby country.

Enzo Chiefo
40 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes, a good read, James. Probably explains why she is less visible nowadays. She's been wrong on numerous occasions but still presents herself as being a voice of authority, usually while demanding more restrictions.  Deleting her tweets and blocking critics probably sums her up tbh.

King prawn

I hate Matt Hancock.

Glad to see he’s getting pelted from all sides the insufferable, lying, dodgy creep.

I P Knightley
7 minutes ago, King prawn said:

I hate Matt Hancock.

Glad to see he’s getting pelted from all sides the insufferable, lying, dodgy creep.

You sure about the 'dodgy creep' bit?

0_event-cancelled.png

Awww, now you've made him cry

maxresdefault.jpg

manaliveits105

There have been more than 10,000 Covid-related deaths in Scotland and about a third have occurred in care homes.

The Crown Office has published a breakdown of every presumed and confirmed Covid death in a care home that has been reported to them.

It shows the prosecution service was considering at least 3,400 deaths linked to the virus as of 8 April.

National Records of Scotland (NRS) recorded 3,292 care home deaths over the same period.

The Crown Office's data - part of wider investigation to determine if the deaths should be the subject of a fatal accident inquiry or prosecution - is collated from a wider number of sources than the NRS figures.

Obviously for some relevant balance the fish and the SG should be subject to an enquiry and criminal proceedings if necessary too.

11 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, a good read, James. Probably explains why she is less visible nowadays. She's been wrong on numerous occasions but still presents herself as being a voice of authority, usually while demanding more restrictions.  Deleting her tweets and blocking critics probably sums her up tbh.

She's a slaver. U-turns and contradictions left, right and centre. She would fit in well working with Westminster government too, in all honesty.

King prawn
7 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

You sure about the 'dodgy creep' bit?

0_event-cancelled.png

Awww, now you've made him cry

maxresdefault.jpg

:seething:

9 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Financial levers?😂😂

It's not levers that paid for the furlough scheme, it's hard cash. We all know Devi is more political agenda than science but claiming that we were somehow restricted by lack of powers is, even by her standards,  arrant nonsense.  Failing to acknowledge the fact that, without the UK vaccine programme, the UK furlough scheme and the additional UK funding received, on top of Barnett, we would be languishing, discredits any other points she makes.

My question is why were Scottish scientists not telling the Scottish Government by early February how dangerous the virus was and how it could spread so much and kill so many. 

What Cummings said was reported at the time. That they all suddenly realised around March 14 that it wasn't the flu they were dealing with. But China shared all the information on the virus on 12 January. How did it take 2 months. When it took Oxford and others 2 or 3 days to produce their vaccines. 

So questions for Scotland too.

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

It's still far too soon to say who's done best and worst in their response to the virus. One year from now and death figures, economic impact etc will all look very different.

Yes, we started badly but there's not many countries I'd swap places with right now. We're nearing the end thanks to the vaccine procurement and roll out. Many are still just keeping things at bay and may have many, many months ahead before they've got to where we are.

Its fairly straightforward.

Swap places with East Asia. Singapore, Taiwan etc. A caveat is they had experience of these viruses and were therefore much better prepared. 

Then other sensible, simple measures

Just imagine - I know there disagreements about lockdown. But what if we had just stopped all flights in February 2020.

54 minutes ago, leginten said:

We’re so far down the rabbit hole with this that everyone’s hanging on the testimony of an inveterate liar, who was one of the mainstays of the whole rotten apparatus, about a whole bunch of incompetent, self-enriching, inveterate liars.

I’m trying to think of a time when there were ever so many completely corrupt, dishonest and dangerous people in government, and I can’t.

We have to look at it through the prism that they are all liars. The fact we keep voting in these useless ****s says more about the rest of us. 

Yesterday was stunning drama though will probably come to nothing because politics is so tribal. 

We are all controlled by the politicians game of thrones.  

coconut doug
2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Scotland would not have had access to such large amounts of borrowed money. No credit history nor central bank, any money borrowed would be at a far higher interest rate too.

Boris appointed Kate Bingham to head up the vaccine procurement programme and was immediately accused of "cronyism". Both are due an apology,  however, that aside, she backed the right horses and the Govt supplied the financial backing and the rest is history. A real national success story and the bitter, twisted, Nationalist ministers who described our decision not to join the EU scheme as "madness" and "lunacy " - Sturgeon,  Mike Russell et al, should be down on their knees thanking the UK govt for going it alone. 

The vaccine procurement and roll out, all completed with the normal safety checks and processes, within a short space of time, has been world-leading and has shown up the EU for what it is.

This is absolute rubbish. The U.K. hasn't borrowed money. They haven't managed to do this because we are the UK and we have a central bank so we get good interest rates. Nobody has bought our debt either. All we have done is print money.

10 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Its fairly straightforward.

Swap places with East Asia. Singapore, Taiwan etc. A caveat is they had experience of these viruses and were therefore much better prepared. 

Then other sensible, simple measures

Just imagine - I know there disagreements about lockdown. But what if we had just stopped all flights in February 2020.

You'd swap places with Taiwan who are having another outbreak, re-introducing restrictions and struggling to get vaccines? Whilst we are racing through the vaccination programme and starting to open everything back up and get back to normal. Fair enough, I wouldn't, but life's a rich tapestry I guess.

We'll be home and hosed by the autumn at this rate.

Edited by Taffin

2 hours ago, Jambo in Japan said:

Just to confirm some of the wonderings about the situation in Japan, and so a fair comparison can be drawn, 

In the simplest of terms, by splitting handling of the pandemic into initial response/preventative measures for one and vaccines for the other, I'd say Japan has been excellent for the former and dreadful for the latter, whereas the UK has been the other way round.

Where Japan got things right was its knee-jerk reaction back in February 2020 to close borders, close schools and then other businesses soon followed. That said, there was never a full scale UK style lockdown as the government and local authorities don't legally hold the power to order people to stay inside their homes. I remember round about this time a spokesperson from the WHO stressing that the key to responding to a pandemic situation such as the one that was unfolding was speed. Japan recognised that. The UK did not. This is of course on record being said at the time, and with the benefit of hindsight, it's easy for Cummings to stick the knife into the government and say they refused to act in such a knee jerk manner when the advice was to do so, but he's also providing no evidence of any of these discussions. I'd definitely take what he says with a huge pinch of salt given his reputation...

Yes, we are experiencing a third wave of infections, the highest since the pandemic began, and most of the population are under state of emergency restrictions. However, the number of covid deaths here is still only about 12,000 here which is a remarkable comparison given the population density and the fact the pop. is about double that of the UK. Japan was one of the few places in the world where excess death turned negative in 2020, it's also worth noting. The advice from the start was to sanitise hands, avoid unecessary and wear a mask. Round about the same time the UK government advice was saying masks aren't very effective and telling us to sing happy birthday while washing hands ffs. Meanwhile, state broadcasting here showed graphics of how the virus is airborne and can be spread in a classroom full of however many people when ventilated/unventilated, and the effect of wearing a mask in such an environment. Cummings admits to not being a scientist but still firmly belongs to the incompetent group of morons who thought the British public deserved Johnson's cringeworthy US press room style press conferences with giant flags hanging in the background and leaks though Laura K as means of communication through a crisis.

There definitely are cultural factors that played a part, I feel. Take masks for example. Masks were already normalised here due to the Asian flu pandemic of the 1960s. Japan had already experienced this kind of health crisis and people didn't need convincing of masks' benefit. It's also the sort of place where, if you really feel that masks have no benefit but you are -clearly- in the minority, it's obviously going to cause no harm for you to wear one. So, for the benefit of those around you, you just do it. In the UK, and the west generally, there are too many individual minds more concerned about how it's "a breach of their freedoms and personal rights" or whatever, and will always put themselves ahead of their community. The UK government can't be blamed for that, but the lack of scientific information being broadcast is entirely their doing.

In sum, Japan's relatively faceless government put science and fact at the fore whereas Britain's piss poor reality tv show government full of jackass personalities put their image above everything else. They were clueless. As much as Cummings' deposition is  just validating what's on all our minds, he's no saint for saying any of this. He's as guilty as the rest of them and I hope his chickens come home to roost for throwing his colleagues under the bus, as they all should have been investigated before he Cummings decided to even open his mouth. As others have stated.. they're all guilty but totally unaccountable. Calamitous state of affairs, the UK. 

A great post and exposes the corrupt government that resides in Westminster. We had prior knowledge of what was required so any talk of hindsight is entirely wrong. They made an almighty mess of dealing with the early stages of the pandemic and should be held accountable for that.

JudyJudyJudy
33 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes she’s had her 5 minutes of fame back to uni academia for her and talking shops 

2 hours ago, Jambo in Japan said:

Where Japan got things right was its knee-jerk reaction back in February 2020 to close borders, close schools and then other businesses soon followed. 

The advice from the start was to sanitise hands, avoid unecessary and wear a mask. Round about the same time the UK government advice was saying masks aren't very effective and telling us to sing happy birthday while washing hands ffs. Meanwhile, state broadcasting here showed graphics of how the virus is airborne and can be spread in a classroom full of however many people when ventillated/unventilated and the effect of wearing a mask in such an environment. 

There definitely are cultural factors that played a part, I feel. Take masks for example. Masks were already normalised here due to the Asian flu pandemic ....(edited)....The UK government can't be blamed for that, but the lack of scientific information being broadcast is entirely their doing.

Edited your excellent post to point out a key point.

Science clearly available about virus being airborne. But 'we followed the science' is the UK and Scottish Government mantra.

Lots of questions about why  Governments in UK and actually Europe didn't have the right scientific information. I think it was June before we heard much about airborne transmission. And I remember seeing the video.

12 minutes ago, Taffin said:

You'd swap places with Taiwan who are having another outbreak, re-introducing restrictions and struggling to get vaccines? Whilst we are racing through the vaccination programme and starting to open everything back up and get back to normal. Fair enough, I wouldn't, but life's a rich tapestry I guess.

We'll be home and hosed by the autumn at this rate.

Taiwan total Covid deaths - 46 of population of 23 million people. Scotland 10,000 deaths, 5.4 million population.

Yes I'd swap places with Taiwan. 

'Another outbreak' is just normal. You'll get that everywhere. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Enzo Chiefo
18 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

This is absolute rubbish. The U.K. hasn't borrowed money. They haven't managed to do this because we are the UK and we have a central bank so we get good interest rates. Nobody has bought our debt either. All we have done is print money.

You do realise that we don't just "print money"?? The Bank of England is one of many lenders who have bought government bonds, the "quantitative easing" that you are referring to. We also borrowed from other institutions and countries to fund the huge, unprecedented furlough scheme 

12 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Taiwan total Covid deaths - 46 (Scotland 10,000) of population of 23 million people. 

Yes I'd swap places with Taiwan. 

'Another outbreak' is just normal. You'll get that everywhere. 

Fair enough, there will either be a lot more deaths in Taiwan over the next 6-12 months or continued restrictions whilst their vaccine programme lags due to supply issues. Which really was my point, it's too soon to tell who's done well and who hasn't, you're looking at it up to this moment in time. So let's agree to disagree...I'll enjoy the freedoms here and you can wish for the restrictions in Taiwan.

5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Fair enough, there will either be a lot more deaths in Taiwan over the next 6-12 months or continued restrictions whilst their vaccine programme lags due to supply issues. Which really was my point, it's too soon to tell who's done well and who hasn't, you're looking at it up to this moment in time. So let's agree to disagree...I'll enjoy the freedoms here and you can wish for the restrictions in Taiwan.

You do get the comparison

46 deaths in Taiwan, very few restrictions overall

10,000 in Scotland, 6 months total lockdown 

You happier with Scotland's response.

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, leginten said:

We’re so far down the rabbit hole with this that everyone’s hanging on the testimony of an inveterate liar, who was one of the mainstays of the whole rotten apparatus, about a whole bunch of incompetent, self-enriching, inveterate liars.

I’m trying to think of a time when there were ever so many completely corrupt, dishonest and dangerous people in government, and I can’t.

Oh we're down the rabbit hole alright. You can see it on this thread. The whataboutery, the need to take a side.

For me it is entirely possible to accept that Cummings is lying toe-rag who is now shining a light on how utterly under-skilled and inept Johnson particularly and by extension his cabinet are. I couldn't give a shiny shite about his motivations. Truth is truth.

What Cummings doesn't even scratch the surface on is the corruption, the cronyism, the malfeasance in public office. Johnson is up to his baws in it all. 

If you're not very concerned about any of this then you're either trolling or you've got some real underlying narcissistic tendencies.

13 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Up until now, my whole post was about it being to early to tell. We'll know in 6-12 months. If you want to talk about up until now, engage with someone else as I didn't post about it 

I'm also not talking about Scotland. I'm talking about the UK... we're on the Dominic Cummings thread after all.

Handcock in full denial mode backup by his conservative allies. 
Dominic Cummings now needs to provide evidence to back up his claims or this sh!t show is dead in the water. 

Edited by Boy Daniel

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Handcock in full denial mode backup by his conservative allies. 
Dominic Cummings now needs to provide evidence to back up his claims or this sh!t show is dead in the water. 

Surely the evidence that they allowed folk to go to

back care homes without being tested is enough to make Hancock responsible for thousands of deaths, Cummings actually admitted BJ, MH and himself were responsible for those deaths. 
After the last year of flip flops and changes of policy and mistakes surely nobody can doubt that the U.K. government is a shambles and that most of the world leading 160k deaths is their fault? 

Bindy Badgy
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

It'll pass mate, you moved for a reason I'm sure, and those reasons are still true. Tough few months maybe but you'll be enjoying it in no time. We may have a vaccine but all the other pitfalls of the UK still exist!

Hope so :) Thanks for the encouragement. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

back care homes without being tested is enough to make Hancock responsible for thousands of deaths, Cummings actually admitted BJ, MH and himself were responsible for those deaths. 
After the last year of flip flops and changes of policy and mistakes surely nobody can doubt that the U.K. government is a shambles and that most of the world leading 160k deaths is their fault? 

Leaving aside debates about lockdown etc its also very practical considerations. Aside from the whole debate about incoming flights there's the matter of testing care home and health service staff. Hospitals have killed a lot of people. Sir Tom Moore for example. But its said testing hospital staff didn't happen until December.

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Those putting the questions need to focus the first point. Hopefully Cummings has the evidence. 
The mistakes and confusion just keep on coming with the latest lockdown shambles around Bolton. 
Handcock is hiding behind we were constantly learning waffle. 

26 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Up until now, my whole post was about it being to early to tell. We'll know in 6-12 months. If you want to talk about up until now, engage with someone else as I didn't post about it 

I'm also not talking about Scotland. I'm talking about the UK... we're on the Dominic Cummings thread after all.

A good point.

You think New Zealand could for example end up worse than the UK in the end?

And another good point about Cummings. He only mentioned Scotland once from what I heard. 

Taiwan population 23 million 46 (forty-six) deaths 

UK population 67 million 152,000 deaths. 

42 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

7600 in Scotland. Pity we couldn't keep the English variant out, by closing Scotland's borders. Anyway, you do get the comparison, that Scotland isn't allowed to do anything, bar pass around the deckchairs.

Oh, I hope the Chinese don't hear you calling Taiwan a country. 

And I'd rather be in Scotland than anywhere else, everyday of the week and 50 times on a Sunday. As Boris says, it's only 80 year old who died. 

Let me see, that's no voters, right. Damn you Sturgeon, let everyone out and open the borders to every *****. 

Nookie Bear

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

7600 in Scotland. Pity we couldn't keep the English variant out, by closing Scotland's borders. Anyway, you do get the comparison, that Scotland isn't allowed to do anything, bar pass around the deckchairs.

Oh, I hope the Chinese don't hear you calling Taiwan a country. 

And I'd rather be in Scotland than anywhere else, everyday of the week and 50 times on a Sunday. As Boris says, it's only 80 year old who died. 

Let me see, that's no voters, right. Damn you Sturgeon, let everyone out and open the borders to every *****. 

On the bright side, your Angus Robertson will be delighted at this "gain for Scottish Independence"

6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

A good point.

You think New Zealand could for example end up worse than the UK in the end?

And another good point about Cummings. He only mentioned Scotland once from what I heard. 

Taiwan population 23 million 46 (forty-six) deaths 

UK population 67 million 152,000 deaths. 

It depends how how you categories 'worse'. 

If we're back to 'normal' by the end of summer whilst other places still have a small, but ticking death count and continuing restrictions into spring next year then yes, I'd say they've done worse. 

If you look at it purely as deaths per population then probably not (we'll be middle of the pack-ish I'd guess)...but that also ignores why some people here were potentially more susceptible to poorer outcomes when contracting it (diet, general fitness, older population etc).

Don't mistake me for saying we've done everything right or well, but if we're back to normal with miniscule ongoing hospitalisations and deaths months before other countries that's a great result imo.

Edited by Taffin

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Leaving aside debates about lockdown etc its also very practical considerations. Aside from the whole debate about incoming flights there's the matter of testing care home and health service staff. Hospitals have killed a lot of people. Sir Tom Moore for example. But its said testing hospital staff didn't happen until December.

Exactly, there has been so many mistakes and flights were still coming in from India bringing that variant. 
No wonder BJ doesn’t want the enquiry to be anytime soon and reveal its findings until after the next GE. 
Cummings did more for the U.K. yesterday than he did in his time advising the government, I think he said it was crackers that he and BJ were in those positions of power, I wasn’t expecting him to admit that. 

9 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It depends how how you categories 'worse'. 

If we're back to 'normal' by the end of summer whilst other places still have a small, but ticking death count and continuing restrictions into spring next year then yes, I'd say they've done worse. 

If you look at it purely as deaths per population then probably not (we'll be middle of the pack-ish I'd guess)...but that also ignores why some people here were potentially more susceptible to poorer outcomes when contracting it (diet, general fitness, older population etc).

Don't mistake me for saying we've done everything right or well, but if we're back to normal with miniscule ongoing hospitalisations and deaths months before other countries that's a great result imo.

I think there's a danger of confusing the headline with the reality.

Victoria state in Australia has locked down again. But with less cases than Edinburgh. Other countries are basically operating zero tolerance/ zero infections which isn't our approach. 

It's going to be hard to find anyone saying Taiwan has it worse than the UK. 

5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Exactly, there has been so many mistakes and flights were still coming in from India bringing that variant. 
No wonder BJ doesn’t want the enquiry to be anytime soon and reveal its findings until after the next GE. 
Cummings did more for the U.K. yesterday than he did in his time advising the government, I think he said it was crackers that he and BJ were in those positions of power, I wasn’t expecting him to admit that. 

I wasn't expecting Cummings to apologise either. 

His uncle did die in hospital though another who caught Covid in hospital which for me is unbelievable and on it own enough for a public enquiry. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I wasn't expecting Cummings to apologise either. 

His uncle did die in hospital though another who caught Covid in hospital which for me is unbelievable and on it own enough for a public enquiry. 

I didn’t know that, it may well have affected his thoughts. 
I think the under funding of the NHS and the gradual privatisation alongside a shortage of work force would probably make a detrimental difference in the hospitals unfortunately. 
We have to hope the enquiry won’t be a long drawn out process that comes to nothing. 

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I think there's a danger of confusing the headline with the reality.

Victoria state in Australia has locked down again. But with less cases than Edinburgh. Other countries are basically operating zero tolerance/ zero infections which isn't our approach. 

It's going to be hard to find anyone saying Taiwan has it worse than the UK. 

As I said, we'll see in 6-12 months time.

13 minutes ago, Taffin said:

As I said, we'll see in 6-12 months time. 

Taiwan are currently on a grand total of 46 deaths. It would take a cluster**** of Hancock proportions for them to catch up on the UK now.

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Taiwan are currently on a grand total of 46 deaths. It would take a cluster**** of Hancock proportions for them to catch up on the UK now.

You have to take your hat off to them, 46 deaths in a population of over 23m.
They had a wee spike but the sensational headlines in this piece is further proof the BBC is a joke. 
  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-57153195

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

FE84E42D-8316-440A-8D9A-2A7B581B7D35.jpeg

If you had watched it you would see he admitted he’s as big as ***** as anyone. 

33 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Don’t think these ‘revelations’ are going to change anything. I doubt it will lead to anything significant and suspect Hancock even keeps his job. 

People will take what they want out of Cummings, to suit their own narrative. People aren’t all interested in the truth and probably even less interested in learning lessons. It’s about pushing their own agenda in the main thats as true of JKB as it is Westminster😃

Exactly this. Highly amusing watching those not so long ago wanting this particular Tory liar strung up now hang on his every word. 😂

Pasquale for King

Difficult balancing act for the Krankie haters that Cummings slated her too but want to defend BJ and HanCOCK. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

If you had watched it you would see he admitted he’s as big as ***** as anyone. 

Politics bores me really . They are all a bunch of c**** so I hardly read or listen to anything about it . Never watch the BBC “ news “ and gave up on “ Question time “ years ago ! 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Exactly this. Highly amusing watching those not so long ago wanting this particular Tory liar strung up now hang on his every word. 😂

Still want him strung up, alongside your other heroes who want to let the bodied pile high in their thousands. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, JamesM48 said:

Politics bores me really . They are all a bunch of c**** so I hardly read or listen to anything about it . Never watch the BBC “ news “ and gave up on “ Question time “ years ago ! 

I don’t watch QT either. 
I don’t give advice or comment on healthy eating and going to the gym. 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Still want him strung up, alongside your other heroes who want to let the bodied pile high in their thousands. 

Unfortunately your attempted dig falls short because I don’t have heroes in the political area. They are all full of shite it’s why when you back one of them so strongly you consistently end up looking stupid. 

23 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

It would. But I'm not saying they will. I'm saying unless sort their vaccine programme out they'll still be living under restrictions and suppression measures for many months to come long after we've returned to normality

Until everywhere is back to 'normal' gauging who's done 'worst' and 'best' isn't really possible was all I was saying.

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Unfortunately your attempted dig falls short because I don’t have heroes in the political area. They are all full of shite it’s why when you back one of them so strongly you consistently end up looking stupid. 

Good to hear, me neither.