*** Scotland Euro 2020 (2021) Thread ( merged) ***

Chaps

StirlingJambo
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

He was shit at hibs to be fair

100%. He’s done no bad this season though and deserved to a least get watched by someone at the Scotland set up

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

It’s ridiculous.  Gilmour too - only 11 appearances since 2019 (which I think was when he had a good game against Liverpool but doesn’t seem to have done anything since) but the media  has been pushing for both to be included.  

Can’t see either of them playing any part so seems a bit of a waste of 2 places - surely with 3 extra squad places one of them should have gone to Griffiths who could at least come off the bench and maybe get a goal.  We’re desperately short of strikers.  Nisbet?!

I don't think Nisbet is a great player by any stretch, but he's scored 15 goals or whatever in the SPL this season. Of course he'd be there or thereabouts. 

I'd have taken the risk on Griffiths as he can get you something from nowhere, but can understand why he's not there. 

Fleck, Forrest, Patterson are more debatable than Nisbet in all honesty, imo. 

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

He was shit at hibs to be fair

So was Paul Hartley.  The boy Doherty has done pretty well since leaving them too.  Players can improve. 

54 minutes ago, Schevchenko said:

The squad is about right.  Jack, Maclean and McBurnie getting Injured are blessings in disguise.

Jack is a miss.

Especially with McGregor having gone to shit for months.

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, Cigaro said:

I don't think Nisbet is a great player by any stretch, but he's scored 15 goals or whatever in the SPL this season. Of course he'd be there or thereabouts. 

I'd have taken the risk on Griffiths as he can get you something from nowhere, but can understand why he's not there. 

Fleck, Forrest, Patterson are more debatable than Nisbet in all honesty, imo. 

Yeah, probably agree with that to be fair - Nisbet being in the squad is more of a reflection of the lack of options we have up front or at least with genuine no 9’s.  He’s not exactly in form though as most of his goals were at the start of the season.  Would rather have him than McBurnie!

His name is
10 hours ago, StirlingJambo said:

Gauld has been playing at a decent level and has done no bad this season. Scotland haven’t bothered their arse to even watch one of his games this season though..bit embarrassing more than anything.

Clarke stated yesterday that he has watched Gauld a number of times this season, although on TV due to travel restrictions

His name is
17 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

One of our opponents 

20210519_145058.jpg

I always look at the teams the players come from. Very strong looking squad. Maybe apart from the Luton Town goalie 😂

I like the look of this squad.  Resisted temptation to fill it with out of form experienced players.  There's a freshness about it while also having the core of the team that got us to Euros.  This is also a squad that looks beyond the Euros.  Well done Clarke.  

StirlingJambo
2 hours ago, His name is said:

Clarke stated yesterday that he has watched Gauld a number of times this season, although on TV due to travel restrictions

He’s talking rubbish I’m afraid

20 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

One of our opponents 

20210519_145058.jpg

Surprised that none of their strikers have an international goal between them, have they been hit with injuries?

17 hours ago, Spellczech said:

This is my XI. Oops - Meant to be Adams not Dykes - Go on, tear it to bits! Forrest would need to show some form and fitness in the lead-up. Otherwise I'd put in Fraser, who if also not fit I'd replace with Dykes or whisper it Nisbet...

image.png.3aac5b73026016fdbc85fab202570fb5.png

Swap KT and Robbo 

Armstrong out for Gilmore 

Id go 

Gordon 

Hanley 

McTominay 

Kt 

Patterson  Wing Back 

McGinn 

Gilmore 

McGregor 

Robertson Wing Back 

Chrstie 

Adams 

No Keen on taking Fraser not played for a couple of months ans James Forrest two good players but not when they haven't played for a while. The Thumb should of been taken 20 minutes to go needing a goal no better player to bring on than him how many times has he got a late winner or a goal to level for Celtic. I think we are a stronger team with him and its crazy to leave him out but have Forrest in .  

Edited by Stu_HMFC

Saw them on the news last night flying out Forrest had 25 on his top O’Donnell 2 was hoping to see Gordon with 1 on it but never popped up .

Folk putting Gilmour in their match day squad??? Great prospect but come on - Gauld got more man of the match awards than Gilmour got games for Chelsea (and the games he did get where largely in the cup, against lower quality European opposition or once league position was confirmed). No problem in him and Patterson, Nesbit & Turnbull getting in the squad for experience.

Holyrood_Hearts
On 20/05/2021 at 13:44, Stu_HMFC said:

Swap KT and Robbo 

Armstrong out for Gilmore 

Id go 

Gordon 

Hanley 

McTominay 

Kt 

Patterson  Wing Back 

McGinn 

Gilmore 

McGregor 

Robertson Wing Back 

Chrstie 

Adams 

No Keen on taking Fraser not played for a couple of months ans James Forrest two good players but not when they haven't played for a while. The Thumb should of been taken 20 minutes to go needing a goal no better player to bring on than him how many times has he got a late winner or a goal to level for Celtic. I think we are a stronger team with him and its crazy to leave him out but have Forrest in .  

Deary ****ing me.

Maroon Sailor
19 minutes ago, kila said:

:sadrobbo:

No likey?

I listened to it a few times and I really like it - the lassies are worth a watch alone

Don't know where to look this up.  Has Craig Gordon got close to 50 caps yet?  Has he already passed that mark?

Naismith got there last season I'm sure.

Czech's are now saying they'll be staying in Czech Republic and flying across for each game rather than staying in Edinburgh and using Oriam. Hopefully the extra travel etc for them is a tiny extra advantage for us. 

On 29/05/2021 at 14:24, Jamboross said:

Czech's are now saying they'll be staying in Czech Republic and flying across for each game rather than staying in Edinburgh and using Oriam. Hopefully the extra travel etc for them is a tiny extra advantage for us. 

croatia doing the same rather than stay in st andrews

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57305425

Maroon Sailor
47 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

20210531_210741.jpg

FS - What's the betting he's going to start with Marshall ?

will-i-am-a-jambo
11 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That was my thinking, looks like Gordon is no 2 according to these squad numbers. Not sure why McLaughlin is in there, as good a goalie as he is, has he played at all this season? Strange choice. Surely Zander Clark would've been a better option?

Stendelnator
1 hour ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

That was my thinking, looks like Gordon is no 2 according to these squad numbers. Not sure why McLaughlin is in there, as good a goalie as he is, has he played at all this season? Strange choice. Surely Zander Clark would've been a better option?

Zander Clark is mince. 

13 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Not necessarily. There's two friendlies. Marshall will start one and Gordon will start the other and then we'll see. 

Fleck tested positive for COVID and is isolating. No great loss tbh. The rest of the squad have apparently come back negative but hopefully no more positive tests in the run up. 

Just now, Jamboross said:

Fleck tested positive for COVID and is isolating. No great loss tbh. The rest of the squad have apparently come back negative but hopefully no more positive tests in the run up. 

Still baffled by the fact that we didn't name a provisional squad to cover situations like this

1 minute ago, BigAlim said:

Still baffled by the fact that we didn't name a provisional squad to cover situations like this

Yeah it makes no sense. There's obviously folk on standby for a call up in the event of injuries so why not have them with the squad from the get go - most other nations seem to have done it. Guess it's the whole "club atmosphere" crap he's trying to instill. 

10 minutes ago, Jamboross said:

Yeah it makes no sense. There's obviously folk on standby for a call up in the event of injuries so why not have them with the squad from the get go - most other nations seem to have done it. Guess it's the whole "club atmosphere" crap he's trying to instill. 

The reason McLaughlin picked as the goalkeepers have worked together for a while and he didn't want to change it. 

Yeah, I understand trying to build a bond between players but that shouldn't come in the way of selecting the best/most in form squad available. 

Pasquale for King
38 minutes ago, Jamboross said:

Probably caught it in George Square. 

Pasquale for King
39 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Nobody apart from England has, some players have been told to keep fit and we have until June 11th I think to change it. 
Better to have someone happy to be called up than disappointed to be dropped surely?

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Nobody apart from England has, some players have been told to keep fit and we have until June 11th I think to change it. 
Better to have someone happy to be called up than disappointed to be dropped surely?

Deadline for formal squad submissions is tonight at 11pm apparently 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/12016/12321685/euro-2020-gareth-southgate-set-to-confirm-26-man-england-squad-ahead-of-uefa-deadline-on-tuesday-night

Footballfirst
On 29/05/2021 at 14:24, Jamboross said:

Who is paying for the branding around the Oriam?

IMG_20210530_114530_1.thumb.jpg.e085389499a2dd0e4b28026e0489b96a.jpg

Pasquale for King

comradejambo

Understanding that Adams, Marshall McGinn Patterson and Stephen O Donnell didn’t travel to Portugal as self isolating due to Fleck so won’t play a part in the game tomorrow (assume not the Luxembourg game either). Think all have tested negative  but obvs following the covid rules. Far from ideal preparation though! 

2 hours ago, comradejambo said:

Understanding that Adams, Marshall McGinn Patterson and Stephen O Donnell didn’t travel to Portugal as self isolating due to Fleck so won’t play a part in the game tomorrow (assume not the Luxembourg game either). Think all have tested negative  but obvs following the covid rules. Far from ideal preparation though! 

__________________Gordon

_________Hanley__Cooper__Tierney

Forrest__McTominay__McGregor__Robertson

_________Christie__Dykes__Armstrong

Thats my guess with those missing

Edited by BigAlim

England have at least 3 injured players in their squad - Maguire, Henderson and Rashford so 11 June deadline is helpful. 

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

England have at least 3 injured players in their squad - Maguire, Henderson and Rashford so 11 June deadline is helpful. 

And the over hype is gathering pace. I just caught the last few minutes of a Croatia friendly and the commentators finished with “I don’t think England have too much to worry about” I’m sure I’ve heard that sentence many times over the years. 

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

they also have four right backs

Croatia drew with Armenia tonight. I can't comment on the team they put out but not the most convincing result on paper.

Croatia are a team on the decline and I feel they are there for the taking this month. 

Czech will be tough. I feel they are improving a lot. We really need to use home advantage in both of these matches as the England game is most probably a write off.

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, milky_26 said:

they also have four right backs

We have to be ready for Southgates innovative formation. 

F047500A-2D3D-4356-8D22-9F7FDAFD7D7F.jpeg

will-i-am-a-jambo
12 hours ago, Stendelnator said:

Zander Clark is mince. 

Hardly, he's just won a Cup double with St. Johnstone. What would be your suggestion?

Stendelnator
6 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Hardly, he's just won a Cup double with St. Johnstone. What would be your suggestion?

Even St Johnstone fans don’t rate him that highly. He’s a cult hero because he scored a goal in a top season for them. The three goalkeepers in the squad are our best available. 

The Old Tolbooth

If only Scotland had some decent centre halves, we'd have a decent little squad for this tournament as it's littered with players from top teams.....and then Hanley! 

19 hours ago, comradejambo said:

Thought the press release on Fleck had said that they were all negative returns aside from him?

In any case would imagine they line up:

Marshall

McTominay Hanley Tierney

O'Donnell McGregor McGinn Robertson 

Christie

Adams Dykes  

Strong XI tonight and experiment against Luxembourg.

comradejambo
3 minutes ago, JamboX2 said:

Thought the press release on Fleck had said that they were all negative returns aside from him?

In any case would imagine they line up:

Marshall

McTominay Hanley Tierney

O'Donnell McGregor McGinn Robertson 

Christie

Adams Dykes  

Strong XI tonight and experiment against Luxembourg.

yeah I saw Robertson saying that and questioned it! Am assured the 5 didn’t travel to Portugal! (Suspect they are trying to keep low profile)