*** Scotland Euro 2020 (2021) Thread ( merged) ***

Chaps

cosanostra

I think Gordon is a way better goalie than Marshall but Marshall still deserves the jersey after the penalty save. Would be incredibly harsh to deny him the chance to start the first game.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stendelnator
3 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

I think Gordon is a way better goalie than Marshall but Marshall still deserves the jersey after the penalty save. Would be incredibly harsh to deny him the chance to start the first game.

Marshall hasn’t been playing lately. Got to go with the fitter player 

will-i-am-a-jambo
10 hours ago, Stendelnator said:

Even St Johnstone fans don’t rate him that highly. He’s a cult hero because he scored a goal in a top season for them. The three goalkeepers in the squad are our best available. 

Fair enough thanks for your reply. I just think it's better to have a guy in the squad that's at least played football in the last season rather than take a guy who has just been sat on his arse all year. Take Ross Stewart at Hearts for example, he hadn't played all season and then plays against Brora and has a stinker. Or may be it's because he really is mince!

EDIT: just seen your post above about Gordon/Marshall, that's exactly the point lm trying to make. Take the fitter guy. 

Edited by will-i-am-a-jambo

David McCaig
20 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Since that penalty save Marshall has been dropped by his club because he was playing poorly, he has made errors resulting in goals whilst playing for Scotland.

Gordon has had 8 clean sheets in a row for club and country, including some cracking saves for Scotland.

It would been an act of national self harm, to pick the poorer keeper in any circumstances, to pick the poorer keeper when he's completely out of form would be madness.

52 minutes ago, JamboX2 said:

Thought the press release on Fleck had said that they were all negative returns aside from him?

Depending on when the players were in contact with each other, it could take a couple of days before the other players would test positive (if they also have caught it).

Hopefully we get away with this, but if 5 or 6 players were to test positive, we're running out of time until the first game!  Aside from everyone going into self isolation for the next 12 days or so, there isn't much we can do.

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, cosanostra said:

He's done nothing since that save

He's jumpier than a cat in a Korean kitchen

7 players out tonight. Gordon playing a silver lining but no RB. Guessing Forrest will play there. Or maybe Tierney there in a 4

Great start

2 minutes ago, R1874 said:

7 players out tonight. Gordon playing a silver lining but no RB. Guessing Forrest will play there. Or maybe Tierney there in a 4

Great start

I'd seen 6 reported. Would assume he lines up:

Gordon

Hendry Cooper McKenna

Forrest Armstrong McTominay Turnbull Robertson

Christie

Dykes

6 minutes ago, JamboX2 said:

I'd seen 6 reported. Would assume he lines up:

Gordon

Hendry Cooper McKenna

Forrest Armstrong McTominay Turnbull Robertson

Christie

Dykes

Scary when you consider the strength of Englands squad. 

I know its the good old "great individuals but shite team" stuff with England but i genuinely think this is the strongest England side i've ever seen.

We will have to play out our skins to get anything from our group. On a side note how come the only game England won't play at Wembley would be the quarter finals?

9 minutes ago, 151 said:

I know its the good old "great individuals but shite team" stuff with England but i genuinely think this is the strongest England side i've ever seen.

We will have to play out our skins to get anything from our group. On a side note how come the only game England won't play at Wembley would be the quarter finals?

Just realised Tierney is fit. So you would imagine him in place of McKenna or Hendry.

The issue between us and England will always be there in terms of squad depth. Both here and other sports. All about the right set up and performance for Scotland. Think Clarke had a good system and the players he has selected know it well. So can only hope we perform as well as we need to.

Minimal aim should be a win and a draw in the group as that could see us come third. Best hope is 2 wins. Mildly optimistic it can be done. The team is a good team. But for the groups I would feel better with McGinn, Adams and SOD being available.

Never realised that on their fixtures. Better teams in the competition than them. Not too concerned.

Edited by JamboX2

Unknown user
8 minutes ago, 151 said:

Scotland's history is littered with shit results against wee teams and no fear when we're really up against it. I'm surprisingly confident, I think we've got a really good manager for exactly this type of game and as I like to say a lot, you don't have to have a team of superstars to have a really effective team.

43 minutes ago, 151 said:

They have some real quality in attack for sure, I don't think the squad holds a candle to their team in the 90s and early 2000s though, on paper at least

2 hours ago, 151 said:

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

I remember watching the 1966 World Cup as a nine year old where England played all their matches at Wembley.

They have a very strong squad with some outstanding players and I genuinely think they can go all the way.

Plenty will disagree, probably because they don't like England. 

As for tonight, Craig will be a busy man. Hopefully he can keep the score down to a respectable figure.

He is streets ahead of Marshall anyway who has been shite recently and hardly played.

I agree with you both.

England (on paper at least) look extremely strong, right through their squad.

They should get to the semi-finals at least with relative ease.

Scotland will be doing very, very well to take a draw from the Auld Enemy game, imo.

3 hours ago, R1874 said:

Great start

Interesting how you use warm up games.

England are apparently planning to play players such as Lingard not in their squad. 

I'm questioning the benefit of warm up games anyway. 

3 hours ago, Smithee said:

Scotland's history is littered with shit results against wee teams and no fear when we're really up against it. I'm surprisingly confident, I think we've got a really good manager for exactly this type of game and as I like to say a lot, you don't have to have a team of superstars to have a really effective team.

I think England will be ****ing themselves against us unless they get an early goal, the longer its nil nil the more the pressure will grow and the fans will get on their back. Early goal for Scotland. chaos 

21 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

England are apparently planning to play players such as Lingard not in their squad. 

none of the man C or Chelsea players are available and they have 2 or 3 injured players so thats about 10 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, BigAlim said:

They have some real quality in attack for sure, I don't think the squad holds a candle to their team in the 90s and early 2000s though, on paper at least

I'd argue they're a better team Tbh. 

Playing at Wembley helps, Engerlund don't often lose at  Wembley. 

England have a track record for much of the time since 1996 of having extremely good club players who just couldn't foot it at international level when it really counted.

If Scotland are very sharp and can minimise errors at the back, I think they stand a decent chance.  If they resort to the monotonous passing game at the back with no sharpness or vision they should deservedly be well beaten.

Can't see where the goals will come from.  Hope someone like Dykes can really step up at this level.

23 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

England breeze through groups then fill their breeks under the pressure then the shit hits the fan followed by the inevitable recriminations.

Scotland will be as dull as feck.and lose while the tartan army dance about retarsed.

Bob Crampsey has nothing to worry about.

That’s probably a pretty fair summary, Jonno.

As long as the TA have a great time though, all is good.  👍 

Scotland U21s 1,  N. Ireland U21s 2.

Hope non of our boys were involved in that.

4 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I remember watching the 1966 World Cup as a nine year old where England played all their matches at Wembley.

They have a very strong squad with some outstanding players and I genuinely think they can go all the way.

Plenty will disagree, probably because they don't like England. 

As for tonight, Craig will be a busy man. Hopefully he can keep the score down to a respectable figure.

He is streets ahead of Marshall anyway who has been shite recently and hardly played.

England have a really good chance. And hopefully Scotland benefits from that, when they bump the Czechs and Croats. I think England might pull a fast one so they stay at Wembley. :D

BTW, it's the media that gets on most Scots tits. 

9 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Gordon

Tierney Hendry Cooper Robertson 

Turnbull McGregor 

Forrest Christie Armstrong

Dykes

reckon it’s more likely to be Forrest at wing back and the usual set up

2 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

reckon it’s more likely to be Forrest at wing back and the usual set up

Probably 👍

Maroon Sailor
43 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

England have a really good chance. And hopefully Scotland benefits from that, when they bump the Czechs and Croats. I think England might pull a fast one so they stay at Wembley. :D

BTW, it's the media that gets on most Scots tits. 

As well as the tits in the fans park

3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

As well as the tits in the fans park

That trumpet needs shoved up the arse ofthe guy who plays it. At Wembley and Ibrox. Does my nut right in. And that doe a deer song fae the scotland fans is worse. Fecking hate it. 

Edited by ri Alban

Diadora Van Basten
47 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Gordon

Tierney Hendry Cooper Robertson 

Turnbull McGregor 

Forrest Christie Armstrong

Dykes

Decent team apart from Dykes will be interesting to see how the central defence play together.

Robbo-Jambo
46 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

That defence does not look great.

Craig going to have a busy night by the looks of it. 

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

20210602_191748.jpg

That's one of the poorest Dutch sides I've ever seen, top level players, sure, but nothing compared to Dutch sides of the last 46 years, not a world class player there.

3 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Decent team apart from Dykes will be interesting to see how the central defence play together.

7 goals and 3 assists in his last 10 games, looks to have hit form at the right time

3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Lingard is in their preliminary squad of 600 they announced. Only know that because Sky Sports News was all excited about how his loan move had worked out and he’d made the squad.  

The Dutch will probably line up, 

Krul

Timber de Vrij de Ligt

Dumfries                            Wijndal

de Roon 

de Jong           Wijnaldum

Weghorst    Depay 

Edited by Cruyff

4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

The Dutch will probably line up, 

Krul

Timber de Vrij de Ligt

Dumfries                            Wijndal

de Roon 

de Jong           Wijnaldum

Weghorst    Depay 

STV (ITV) showing the England game and we're on Sky as always. What a load of shite - SFA's fault though?

Edited by kila