*** Scotland Euro 2020 (2021) Thread ( merged) ***

Chaps

Griffiths off the bench for set pieces was surely a must?

Why the feck did they not loan him out in January?  He must be on his way out of Celtic, they've ruined his only chance of ever making a International finals. 

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BackOfTheNet
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You said it’s about confidence so I’m not being relegated by November is better than on the last day like Paterson, Marshall’s confidence isn’t that high either. 
I’m not really questioning whether he should go just your reasoning for it, he’s not really any better than what’s been picked it’s that simple.

As I say I think he looks at balance of squad and wants experience. When McLean gets injured he could’ve brought in someone like Gauld but he’s already got 3 uncapped players so thinks he needs an experienced midfielder. Andy Robertson said something like there’s a squad feel as it’s not different people every squad and that Clarke sees that as incredibly important. So I suspect Fleck is just to make the squad have that balance and because McLean is injured. Marshall is only in because of the penalty save and because we’re not plush for keepers at the moment. Other than him and Gordon the other keeper is a backup keeper at Rangers, so hardly a surprise he’s in there. Although even taking my maroon tinted glasses off I would be bewildered if Marshall starts ahead of Gordon. Paterson made previous squads as he’s good as a utility option, squad increase to 26 means utility players are less in demand, so his main attribute becomes unimportant.

Pasquale for King
Just now, Jamboross said:

Dunno, I'd think they will all feature at some point even if it's just cameo appearances. If you count Tierney and McTominay, since that's where they tend to play, then we have 7 centre backs in the squad. I'd be surprised if we named all of them in the match day squads. 

Agree that Patterson wouldn't be in if he played for any other Scottish team bar Celtic but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be there. If he played for us I'd have been wanting him called up, he's a talanted kid and like I say would rather he was there than any of the other candidates for back up RB. 

Dunno who we would have picked ahead of Greg Taylor either. Hickey, if he wasn't injured would have been in with a chance but can see him getting the Gauld treatment down the line. Out of sight, out of mind. 

I don’t think you make cameo appearances a major finals, unless we are pumped in the first two games which is entirely possible. 
I just don’t think Taylor is needed with the two guys we have that can play LB, if Robertson is injured we would be less impacted if at all by moving Tierney there and playing another CH than playing Taylor. 
Clarke said he needs McTominay in midfield more than defence. 
I doubt he would’ve picked Paterson if the squad wasn’t increased to 26, if he was then who was going to miss out 🤔?

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

As I say I think he looks at balance of squad and wants experience. When McLean gets injured he could’ve brought in someone like Gauld but he’s already got 3 uncapped players so thinks he needs an experienced midfielder. Andy Robertson said something like there’s a squad feel as it’s not different people every squad and that Clarke sees that as incredibly important. So I suspect Fleck is just to make the squad have that balance and because McLean is injured. Marshall is only in because of the penalty save and because we’re not plush for keepers at the moment. Other than him and Gordon the other keeper is a backup keeper at Rangers, so hardly a surprise he’s in there. Although even taking my maroon tinted glasses off I would be bewildered if Marshall starts ahead of Gordon. Paterson made previous squads as he’s good as a utility option, squad increase to 26 means utility players are less in demand, so his main attribute becomes unimportant.

I don’t get the clamour for Gauld to be honest, he’s not playing at a great level and was awful for Hibs. 
I think the bit about the squad and it’s make up is important, probably why Griffiths isn’t in. 
Spot on about Paterson and you would only be throwing him or Griffiths on if we were struggling to score late on, which we will be. He clearly thinks he has enough options. His press conference should answer a few questions. 
Gordon should be first choice. 

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, iantjambo said:

Just feels like Patterson has been included just so Rangers have a player at the tournament.

Yes and no… a lot of folk focusing on the fact that Patterson’s a Rangers player, miss out the fact that he has 19x  caps from u17-I 21 and is the current Scotland U21 right back so that’s a factor. 

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I don’t get the clamour for Gauld to be honest, he’s not playing at a great level and was awful for Hibs. 
I think the bit about the squad and it’s make up is important, probably why Griffiths isn’t in. 
Spot on about Paterson and you would only be throwing him or Griffiths on if we were struggling to score late on, which we will be. He clearly thinks he has enough options. His press conference should answer a few questions. 
Gordon should be first choice. 

Portuguese league.  Sporting Lisbon, Benfica, Porto.

Presumably no one playing in Scotland should be in squad either then. 

26 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

As I said it’s just for that impact off the bench, we don’t really have any impact subs in that squad. 
Im happy enough for Griffiths to enjoy his summer before he return to ER. 
Paterson still doesn’t have a position that gets the best out of him unfortunately. 
I wonder if they have mentioned guys on stand by. 
I never take my maroon specs off 🤓.

Clarke won't reveal his stand by players.

23 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I don’t think you make cameo appearances a major finals, unless we are pumped in the first two games which is entirely possible. 
I just don’t think Taylor is needed with the two guys we have that can play LB, if Robertson is injured we would be less impacted if at all by moving Tierney there and playing another CH than playing Taylor. 
Clarke said he needs McTominay in midfield more than defence. 
I doubt he would’ve picked Paterson if the squad wasn’t increased to 26, if he was then who was going to miss out 🤔?

Hopefully you're right on McTominay, I'm not a huge fan of him at CB. 

Think Patterson would still have been included even with a squad of 23 with one of the CBs dropping out. Don't think we'd have gone with only one recognised right back and while I'm sure the club he plays for also helps his case he is probably a better option than Palmer, CP or shuffling things about to stick Tierney over there if O'Donnell is injured. 

14 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yeah, Braga too. Even the mid-table teams would give most Scottish sides a doing. 

I think folk can't see past the team he plays for being at the bottom of the league but he's got more goal contributions than players like Otavio, Sergio Oliveira and Rafa. He also creates more chances than any other player in the league. 

If the squad is being picked on form he should be there. When he gets a big move this summer it'll be hard to overlook him going forward. 

Edited by Jamboross

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

He’s had a great season playing for a crap team that’s going to be relegated, I’ve watched a few games from there this season and it’s not great out with the top teams. 
He was first called into a Scotland squad 7 years ago and still doesn’t have a cap. 
He’s been nowhere near a squad and isn’t even on the stand by list, so it seems weird that folk are surprised he’s not been picked?

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/19312012.ryan-gauld-not-picked-steve-clarkes-scotland-squad-euro-2020-misses-30-man-preliminary-list/

Edited by Pasquale for King

Thumb out no problem with that.

Obviously not in the right frame of mind.

Cannot think of one player who missed out who should have been in the squad.

9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He’s had a great season playing for a crap team that’s going to be relegated, I’ve watched a few games from there this season and it’s not great out with the top teams. 
He was first called into a Scotland squad 7 years ago and still doesn’t have a cap. 
He’s been nowhere near a squad and isn’t even on the stand by list, so it seems weird that folk are surprised he’s not been picked?

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/19312012.ryan-gauld-not-picked-steve-clarkes-scotland-squad-euro-2020-misses-30-man-preliminary-list/

Not in the in crowd. Clarke's 'club' set up. 

Fair enough. Quite surprising Billy Gilmour is in actually because he isn't first choice for club but there's pressure from Clarke's ex club Chelsea and that guys like Lampard and Tuchal rate him. Same as Old Firm players. 

Farense don't have the same clout in football. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Not in the in crowd. Clarke's 'club' set up. 

Fair enough. Quite surprising Billy Gilmour is in actually because he isn't first choice for club but there's pressure from Clarke's ex club Chelsea and that guys like Lampard and Tuchal rate him. Same as Old Firm players. 

Farense don't have the same clout in football. 

Seems to be the case. 

2 hours ago, Barack said:

Not overly bothered that Nisbet is in. Probably deserved. Shankland and San Marino seems like that might be his pinnacle. Funny how things change!

Che Adams will be the main man anyway. Other than that, it's pretty much a muchness. Beige.

Charlie Mulgrew said on Sportsound last night how surprised he was with Shankland's first touch that was excellent.

Big decision between the 2.  IMO Scotland need 'all round' players.  Being a good SPFL finisher won't cut it.

But as you say it's all on Adams.  Fraser and Forrest if fit would be my second striker off him anyway.

Two players who have been crap recently for club are McGregor and Christie.  McGregor hasn't been too great either for Scotland.  Probably pressure of being played too much.

It was of course far too early for Souttar, but aside Tierney, out of the centre halves, can any actually play what we would like to call football?

Edited by DETTY29

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

Gordon (picked with heart)

Cooper Gallacher Tierney 

O'Donnel.                        Robertson 

Gilmour McTominay McGinn 

Armstrong 

Adams 

^^^^^^ would be my team

Swap McGinn and Armstrong and I agree.  Christie never lets us down either, so happy if he fits in.

Malinga the Swinga

Apart from Taylor, no criticism from me. Think Palmer is unlucky and Patterson wouldn't be in if he played for anyone else, but suppose he is future of team. 

Taylor must be there to carry cones or stand in practice wall when free kicks being practiced. Very lucky to be picked. 

A_A wehatethehibs

2 world class teams in our group and 1 other quality outfit. Absolutely no pressure on these players or this manager, just go out there and give it your best shot lads. If we can get out this group it’ll be up there as the most heroic achievement in the history of Scotland national team imo. Can’t wait for the games feels good not to have to pick a team as a neutral… force of habit, still seem to be wondering what country’s team I’ll pick. Not this year! 

43 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

It was of course far too early for Souttar, but aside Tierney, out of the centre halves, can any actually play what we would like to call football?

Well Cooper plays for Leeds, so yes.  

Whether cooper can defend is a different question

Edited by Diego10
You mentioned Tierney

Rick Sanchez

Callum Paterson not having a settled position has probably cost him a place. He'd have been a shoe in had he stayed at right back.

P.S come home.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, chrystaf said:

Clarke won't reveal his stand by players.

He’s just said everyone should stay fit, I think Gauld will be ok to go on holiday.

Pasquale for King
59 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Charlie Mulgrew said on Sportsound last night how surprised he was with Shankland's first touch that was excellent.

Big decision between the 2.  IMO Scotland need 'all round' players.  Being a good SPFL finisher won't cut it.

But as you say it's all on Adams.  Fraser and Forrest if fit would be my second striker off him anyway.

Two players who have been crap recently for club are McGregor and Christie.  McGregor hasn't been too great either for Scotland.  Probably pressure of being played too much.

I don’t think Nisbet or Shankland would’ve been near it if Burke and Mcburnie weren’t injured, which says it all really.,

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Callum Paterson not having a settled position has probably cost him a place. He'd have been a shoe in had he stayed at right back.

P.S come home.

Where would we play him? Does anyone know his best position?

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

I think he might go, 

Gordon

Tierney Hanley Cooper Robertson         

McTominay McGregor 

Fraser       McGinn     Christie  

Adams 

I like the defence as a 4 instead of a 3 or a 5. I would prefer KT at right back than O'Donnell .

Rick Sanchez
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Where would we play him? Does anyone know his best position?

He'd have been better sticking at his right back position IMO. If we signed him again I'd play him on the right of a 3-4-3.

I think he'll be back in a few years time.

Pasquale for King
Just now, Rick Sanchez said:

He'd have been better sticking at his right back position IMO. If we signed him again I'd play him on the right of a 3-4-3.

I would love to see him again, not sure if his defending is any better though. Right of a 3 up front might be his best position where he can get on the end of crosses as he ages a bit. 

18 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

16 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I would love to see him again, not sure if his defending is any better though. Right of a 3 up front might be his best position where he can get on the end of crosses as he ages a bit. 

Not going to happen obviously, but I'd far rather have Paterson on the right hand side of a 4, with Smith in the 3.

Indeed, with Smith apparently going back to RB,  I can only see 4231 for much of next season.

Edited by DETTY29

Pasquale for King
26 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Not going to happen obviously, but I'd far rather have Paterson on the right hand side of a 4, with Smith in the 3.

Indeed, with Smith apparently going back to RB,  I can only see 4231 for much of next season.

Pretty much. 

maroonedinbriz
3 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

6 Celtic

2 Rangers

2 Motherwell

2 Southampton

1 Hearts, Derby, Leeds, Norwich, Nottingham Forest, Liverpool, Arsenal, Sheffield United, Newcastle, Chelsea, Aston Villa, Man United, QPR and Hibs

Can't think of a time when we were represented by Man Uniteted, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool

10 of this squad played in the English Premiership this season.

In those days those 4 teams only had the choice of players from the UK and Ireland. Now they have the pick of the planet. Different times.

4 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

6 Celtic

2 Rangers

2 Motherwell

2 Southampton

1 Hearts, Derby, Leeds, Norwich, Nottingham Forest, Liverpool, Arsenal, Sheffield United, Newcastle, Chelsea, Aston Villa, Man United, QPR and Hibs

Can't think of a time when we were represented by Man Uniteted, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool

10 of this squad played in the English Premiership this season.

Maybe not all 4 at once, but:

1986 WC: Man Utd (Strachan, Albiston), Liverpool (Nicol), Arsenal (Nicholas)

1990 WC: Man Utd (Leighton), Liverpool (Gillespie), Chelsea (Durie)

1978 squad had 4 from Man Utd and 2 Liverpool. 1982 squad 3 Liverpool and 1 Arsenal.

Maroon Sailor

He has to start with Craig Gordon

Marshall has been pish since the night Scotland qualified

Maroon Sailor

Be nice if Scotland won their opening match for a change.

Can only remember them doing that against Zaire and New Zealand

Tom Hardy’s Dug

10 EPL players must be a modern era peak?

Not saying it means a huge amount but it seems like just 2 or 3 years ago the team was half full of English Championship players who were generally subs for their club teams.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
5 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

Not all that surprising that a Sevco youngster gets the nod, after they’ve just run away with the league. As others have said, we don’t have huge depth at RB, so I’m fine with it.

I don’t rate Fleck - never did - so I’d have preferred Gauld. But I can live with that.

We really do look light up front. I’d have taken Griffiths just because he is the best striker we can field, even if he is well off his best. We are where we are, though. Sad that Scotland’s entire league system couldn’t produce a better option than Nisbet, and we’re relying on one guy imported from Australia and one from England. I’ve got no problem with either playing for Scotland, don’t get me wrong - but we haven’t seen a home developed striker in some time.

In theory we look light up front, but on form Fraser, Christie and Forrest score goals at international level and are essentially goal

scoring attackers if not officially “strikers”

1 hour ago, Doc Rob said:

Maybe not all 4 at once, but:

1986 WC: Man Utd (Strachan, Albiston), Liverpool (Nicol), Arsenal (Nicholas)

1990 WC: Man Utd (Leighton), Liverpool (Gillespie), Chelsea (Durie)

1978 squad had 4 from Man Utd and 2 Liverpool. 1982 squad 3 Liverpool and 1 Arsenal.

The 1982 squad had I think 17 players who played in a European final, including 5 European Cup winners.

Edited by Diego10

Spellczech

This is my XI. Oops - Meant to be Adams not Dykes - Go on, tear it to bits! Forrest would need to show some form and fitness in the lead-up. Otherwise I'd put in Fraser, who if also not fit I'd replace with Dykes or whisper it Nisbet...

image.png.3aac5b73026016fdbc85fab202570fb5.png

Edited by Spellczech

John Findlay

Congratulations to Craig Gordon of Heart of Midlothian for making the Scotland Euros squad. Well deserved.

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Congratulations to Craig Gordon of Heart of Midlothian for making the Scotland Euros squad. Well deserved.

He should make the team

Schevchenko

The squad is about right.  Jack, Maclean and McBurnie getting Injured are blessings in disguise.

Fozzyonthefence
9 hours ago, JackLadd said:

Surprised the Sevco kid made it in. 7 apps is good enough for Scotland team. 

It’s ridiculous.  Gilmour too - only 11 appearances since 2019 (which I think was when he had a good game against Liverpool but doesn’t seem to have done anything since) but the media  has been pushing for both to be included.  

Can’t see either of them playing any part so seems a bit of a waste of 2 places - surely with 3 extra squad places one of them should have gone to Griffiths who could at least come off the bench and maybe get a goal.  We’re desperately short of strikers.  Nisbet?!

StirlingJambo

Gauld has been playing at a decent level and has done no bad this season. Scotland haven’t bothered their arse to even watch one of his games this season though..bit embarrassing more than anything.

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, StirlingJambo said:

Gauld has been playing at a decent level and has done no bad this season. Scotland haven’t bothered their arse to even watch one of his games this season though..bit embarrassing more than anything.

He was shit at hibs to be fair

Fozzyonthefence
3 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

10 EPL players must be a modern era peak?

Not saying it means a huge amount but it seems like just 2 or 3 years ago the team was half full of English Championship players who were generally subs for their club teams.

I suppose it’s some kind of progress that we’ve got 2 Rangers subs and 1 Chelsea sub instead these days.