***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

9 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Word through the grapevine is Shankland is having his medical today.

3 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

We won't be signing Shankland. Take that to the bank.

I'm confused as I can never remember between the bank or grapevine which carries more credibility. 🤷‍♂️ 

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

1 hour ago, 8skacel8 said:

He sums up our signing policy under Levein. 

To be fair to MacLean despite the initial lack of whelms around his arrival the chat on here was very positive about him and that he'd been a "shrewd" signing after our great start to that season. He got a few goals, linked well with Naismith and generally performed very well. It was only after injuries hit and we had to rely on him as our main striker for while, which he was never intended to be, that things took a turn. I think he'd be remembered more fondly if that season hadn't fallen so flat after the league cup semi final. 

Edited by Jamboross

Bazzas right boot

As usual jkb flys to extremes. 

Would Shankland add to the squad-yes. 

Will he score 30 goals, unlikely but if he gets 10-15 he'd have done well. 

Yes, we have Boyce, but surely 2 good strikers is better than 1? 

If he was interested it would likely come down to value  for money, he's not worth breaking the bank and pissing guys like Boyce off. 

He'd be a good signing if every one was happy with the finances and game time, he's not that good enough to  be paying big fees and big wages for. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Berra than you
8 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Walker questioned management, his days are numbered 👍

Tbh, If Neilson is persisting with 3-4-3 (he should imo) I don't see where walker fits in. He's a good impact sub but is probably on a higher wage than that role justifies.

2 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Best Championship tallies:

Keatings 13 in 30

Shankland 24 in 26

Best Premiership tallies:

Keatings 1 in 17

Shankland 8 in 32

Not even close, really.

Here's a better SPL stat

Craig Halkett 58 games 9 goals

Lawrence Shankland 50 games 8 goals

20 minutes ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

Yeah you are right.

We shouldn’t consider signing Shankland. He wouldn’t score goals due to Liam Boyce scoring more than 20 once 6 years ago for Ross County.

I think he would be a great signing alongside Boyce.

Fully agree here, not sure why folk are against signing a proven striker. At the very least he'll serve us well for whenever Boyce is inevitably injured.

//Edit - also people seem to be bandying about Shankland's SPL stats but are we forgetting how many he scored when playing Neilsonball? I know it was a different level in the Championship but you could ratify that with Utd fans saying he's not getting a service where he currently is.

Edited by Halliphax

36 minutes ago, 151 said:

The guy I work with is a huge Utd fan and watches every single game, and says that United have done absolutely nothing to supply him. Shelled balls up to him and expecting him to work wonders. Which he sometimes did.

If we can supply with with good crosses from GMS and Gino, and through the middle with Boyce I think we have a very very good strike partnership.

Providing its all true of course.

I think people miss this. Utd are rotten (or were last season) and it’s easy for a striker to feel alienated in a poor team. 

Different for a good defender in a poor team who’ll be much busier and catch the eye.  If a team can’t retain the ball in key areas and give their forwards the opportunity to actually worry defenders,  it’s a thankless task up top. 

The way we are trying to play, esp at home, is crying out for a forward with good natural movement in and around the box and is an adept finisher.  

Ibrahim Tall
20 minutes ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

Yeah you are right.

We shouldn’t consider signing Shankland. He wouldn’t score goals due to Liam Boyce scoring more than 20 once 6 years ago for Ross County.

I think he would be a great signing alongside Boyce.

Nice deflexion :laugh2:

It’s ok to admit you’re wrong or simply didn’t realise Boyce had scored that many.

TyphoonJambo
1 minute ago, OTT said:

I’d be happy with Shankland. Would prefer Paterson though

Boyce and Shankland up top. Patterson in as RB, move Smith into the centre with Souttar. Job done.

Ibrahim Tall
34 minutes ago, luckydug said:

A few thousand seats more like. 🤔 

Last SPFL season our was around 16,700 and there’s around 13,800 apparently. It’s a gap sure but if that makes us ‘a lot’ bigger than Aberdeen then what does that make the OF? Astronomically bigger? galactically? 

10 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Here's a better SPL stat

Craig Halkett 58 games 9 goals

Lawrence Shankland 50 games 8 goals

:lol:

Actually that's a good example of how statistics can be used disingenuously. A bunch of substitute appearances as a teenager 7/8 years ago aren't really relevant to the player he is today.

Have a look at some of Nisbet's stats from a few years ago. Then again, you didn't want us to sign him last summer either as I recall.

Edited by DC_92

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, sadj said:

**** off to the non-hearts transfer thread wi yer shite…..😘

Didnt even know there was such a thing :unsure:

16 minutes ago, Halliphax said:

Fully agree here, not sure why folk are against signing a proven striker. At the very least he'll serve us well for whenever Boyce is inevitably injured.

//Edit - also people seem to be bandying about Shankland's SPL stats but are we forgetting how many he scored when playing Neilsonball? I know it was a different level in the Championship but you could ratify that with Utd fans saying he's not getting a service where he currently is.

People forget there's multiple teams in the Premiership now who play at a championship level.

Auldbenches
28 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Where would you play him Right back ? 

I'd be happy with him there or further forward.  You think he wouldn't suit playing a back 3?  

That might be the issue playing him in defence.  

Bunny Munro
1 hour ago, Beni said:

Steven McLean was erm...bold.

0_18929666.jpg

Can't think of a player I've disliked so much in years. 🤣

Batistuta87
33 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Walker questioned management, his days are numbered 👍

That's not the worst thing that could happen. He's had one good game in the last dozen and I wouldn't miss him. 

5 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

I'd be happy with him there or further forward.  You think he wouldn't suit playing a back 3?  

That might be the issue playing him in defence.  

If he came back I would like to see him in midfield or right wing back 

4 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

Can't think of a player I've disliked so much in years. 🤣

the guy was an absolute wank 

Unknown user
2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

you clearly haven’t watched Dundee United, you clearly haven’t heard or read the views of Dundee Utd fans.  You see 7 goals and that’s it.

Shankland scored 1 from inside his own half last season, inside his own half is where he spent 90% of his time becuase Dundee United were possibly the most defensive team I’ve ever seen.  

His movement inside the box is extremely good, his finishing is excellent. He’d be a massive asset with GMS, Ginelly and Boyce providing chances whether you think so or not

His movement in the box is the same nearly every time - head for the area between penalty spot and six yard box.

When he was in the championship I said that better defenders would be able to read this and he'd get much less change in the top division, I stand by it. Not a clever enough striker to be attractive for me

21 minutes ago, Sertse said:

People forget there's multiple teams in the Premiership now who play at a championship level.

Exactly, I ken it's early days but I reckon Celtic will stay up 😂

1 hour ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

Remember Levein saying

'I actually like the fact that he can't run.'

😂🤯

I was trying to forget that any Manager could ever utter such crap.

Tommy Brown
5 minutes ago, Lochee Jambo said:

A Belgian club and two English Championship sides have spoke to United about Shankland.

According  to?

Auldbenches
14 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

If he came back I would like to see him in midfield or right wing back 

I agree. I'd use him like warnock did at Cardiff.  No chance of getting him unless he wants back up the road.  

1 minute ago, Auldbenches said:

I agree. I'd use him like warnock did at Cardiff.  No chance of getting him unless he wants back up the road.  

Rwb for me. Perfect for that role,especially if with license to get in box for crosses from left

51 minutes ago, Beni said:

I'm confused as I can never remember between the bank or grapevine which carries more credibility. 🤷‍♂️ 

The grapebank is the one you hold out for or a Sertse piss take post or a Bongo after its been in the press or im uttering shite whilst claiming it as iv been stood next to them while it happened post. Otherwise ignore all. 

Auldbenches
1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

Rwb for me. Perfect for that role,especially if with license to get in box for crosses from left

We can only dream.  He'll be on far too good money to even think about coming back right now.  Would love it though. 

1 minute ago, sadj said:

The grapebank is the one you hold out for or a Sertse piss take post or a Bongo after its been in the press or im uttering shite whilst claiming it as iv been stood next to them while it happened post. Otherwise ignore all. 

Grapebank is easily the best, well above 'little birdy told me', 'word on the street' and the lowest 'did you hear'

1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Exactly he managed 7 goals all season. Hes a James Keatings.

Could be but you were comparing him with Boyce who played a lot more in the SPFL

Nisbet seems to have done ok since stepping up although he is younger.

Robbie obviously knows him from his days at UTD so we will need to go with what he thinks ultimately.

6 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

I think he will be back in Scotland no doubt and back at Hearts at some point in his career , I just hope its not to late on into his 30s and he's past it. Would be a very good singing at his stage in his career now. 

2 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Grapebank is easily the best, well above 'little birdy told me', 'word on the street' and the lowest 'did you hear'

You forgot “a distant family friend bumped into me shopping and told me”

1 minute ago, maroon said:

Please say there’s something behind these Paterson rumours

Usually rumour mongers. 😊

Just now, sadj said:

You forgot “a distant family friend bumped into me shopping and told me”

My favourite has to be when they say they saw them in a supermarket or filling their car up which means they are obviously signing for us.

I might post something similar later saying I saw a certain striker in a shop in Gorgie to see if it makes it to one of the Hearts Instagram pages. I can't help but feel partly responsible that this Shankland chat has grown out control after I posted that he was due to sign on Saturday😂

1 minute ago, Sertse said:

My favourite has to be when they say they saw them in a supermarket or filling their car up which means they are obviously signing for us.

I might post something similar later saying I saw a certain striker in a shop in Gorgie to see if it makes it to one of the Hearts Instagram pages. I can't help but feel partly responsible that this Shankland chat has grown out control after I posted that he was due to sign on Saturday😂

I saw Gnando at the Tesco petrol station in Corstorphine some weeks ago but never bothered posting to say I suspect he’s leaving. 🤷🏼‍♂️

::troll:: 

Auldbenches
3 minutes ago, maroon said:

Nothing in it just bored posters dreaming.  Beni, paterson and another signing of that quality would really show our intent.

Lone Striker

So to summarise the last few pages ....

Shankland's  might be having a medical with us today ... but we definitely aren't signing him

Shankland's scoring record is decent .... but it's also terrible

Walker might have confronted Neilson about something ..... so we should get rid of Walker even if he didn't  

Gnando is in the huff about something .....  but might not be..... either way, it's Neilson's fault for not playing him enough

That about right ?

9 minutes ago, maroon said:

No rumours were made . I posted Dr Funk celebrating a goal at Fester Rd as folk were talking about goal celebrations and 2 & 2 get put together and Cal is doing a tour of the new main stand with joe savage and on the pitch in a full kit doing a photo shoot.

:clyay: 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Notice Paterson played up front for Weds last weekend. 0-0 draw I think knocked out on pens

Seemingly the Daily Record talking about a team in Belgium looking at Shankland

Edited by Nathan2012

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***