Top European Soccer Teams Agree to Join Breakaway League

Paolo

9 minutes ago, RobNox said:

I agree.  They should be banned from all European competition for 12 months.  Let some of the 'wee' clubs get a share of the spoils, though it would probably mean PSG v Bayern for next season's Champions League.

Yep. Hit them where it hurts. I also think the FA should hand out -15 point deductions to Man City, Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs for bringing the game into disrepute. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• Rogue Daddy

• Tazio

My feeling is that this was probably a ruse to divert away from the odious changes to the Champions League, which were quietly ratified on Monday.

My fundamental belief is that yes there should be a rebalancing in European football, but not a further concentration of wealth at the top, but instead a more equitable distribution of income, resource and opportunity for all clubs.

The national champions of every European league, should not have to jump through numerous qualifying hoops to reach the group stages of the Champions League. That they have to do so currently, locks in and indeed widens the income disparity between the 'elite' clubs and the rest. If this means Real Madrid winning 40-0 against the Andorran champions then so be it.

We've gone from the 1980s where Dundee United, Aberdeen and Hearts had competitive victories over Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich, to a point whereby it is difficult to conceive of them even playing against the same opposition.

If levelling up, means that the various billionaires and SPIVS that own the Elite Clubs lose money on their investments and have to dramatically cut costs etc, then so be it.

A lot of sympathy for the players and managers have been raised in the media coverage on this.

Yet, isn't the ESL just an extension of how they operate...greed for more and more money. Player demands and salaries are ridiculous. They could argue that if someone is willing to pay them that then why shouldn't they but then surely if the ESL was willing to fund these clubs then why shouldn't they join it?

The whole game at the top level is greed driven and all about money. The ESL was just the straw that (hopefully) broke the camel's back.

McGlynn The Money
44 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

UEFA FIFA EPL, how dare they extort the fans. That's our job. 

Spot on mate. This ESL bollocks was just the logical extension of the greed is good philosophy that we've seen in football over the years.

UEFA say football is for the fans yet at the Champions League Final, sponsors, associations and various other hangers on get the lions share of the vastly overpriced tickets. 

They supposedly care about the players too yet ram the Nations League into an already overcrowded schedule giving us even more meaningless internationals.

They are also relaxing the financial fair play rules to make it even easier for the oil and gas states to buy clubs and distort the market.

FIFA are now the paragons of virtue. The same organisation which is synonymous with corruption and was "persuaded" to take the World Cup to Russia and Qatar. 

McGlynn The Money
7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

A lot of sympathy for the players and managers have been raised in the media coverage on this.

Yet, isn't the ESL just an extension of how they operate...greed for more and more money. Player demands and salaries are ridiculous. They could argue that if someone is willing to pay them that then why shouldn't they but then surely if the ESL was willing to fund these clubs then why shouldn't they join it?

The whole game at the top level is greed driven and all about money. The ESL was just the straw that (hopefully) broke the camel's back.

Too true. Players have now suddenly developed a conscience and care about the fans. The same players who probably stick the headphones in and are straight on the team bus, don't have two seconds to spare to sign autographs or have a quick chat with the fans. So much hypocrisy and bullshit.

Guaranteed if Sky had dreamed up this nonsense and had the TV rights their coverage would be very different.

2 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

John Henry's apology this morning doesn't wash with me, he was quite happy to bash on and do this without consulting the fans, the players, or the manager of the club, and that to me is unforgivable, that apology was nothing more than a PR damage limitation exercise, and the fans are seeing through it big time! It'll be interesting to hear what other clubs owners will come out with now too! 

It's pretty clear why they wanted to do it though when you look at the amount of debt that certain clubs are in, these clubs are quickly becoming unsustainable and need a massive injection of cash to tide them over, there really should be much stricter financial fair play rules in football to stop this happening and make it a more level playing field! 

176558207_245226540662099_6917210561472420877_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=58c789&_nc_ohc=Qdlo2PKFVS0AX-V5h4v&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&tp=6&oh=290e7ef117aa814bebc46ddd5e34635c&oe=60A634AD

City and Chelsea fans will say nothing about their owners, they’ve taken them from mediocre teams shadowed by city rivals to where they are today. Also those two have played the ‘we weren’t that keen in the first place’ card. Liverpool, Arsenal and Utd fans already hate their owners so this only intensifies the discord. Spurs well they’re still in shock and celebrating just getting into it. Real Madrid are the big losers in all this and that might be the most interesting story to come out of this.

13 hours ago, Berra than you said:

As devil's advocate, why would they care about that if they were gonna start the ESL? As they'd not be in champions League. This whole affair had been bizarre.

IMO they were arrogant enough to think they’d remain in all competitions and still have their wee Wednesday night league to play in. I think they thought UEFA would crumble, however once the calculators came out they knew the ESL could end up a costly move.

13 hours ago, DH1986 said:

Champions League......where you can finish 4th and 30 points behind the winners of your league and still take part.

Its been a farce since day one imo.

I agree, I very rarely watch it. Rigged in its format to allow the rich clubs to progress. And it’s most certainly not a Champions league.

kirkierobroy

So what was all that about? I fear it may actually have achieved its aim - if it was the moneybags clubs firing a warning shot and reminding UEFA that the already warped and exclusive Champion's League should be made more exclusive and repetitive and boring or they'll form an exclusive, repetitive, boring millionaires' league of their own.

I also fear that the episode will be memeorialised as Bungling Bonzo Saving Football for all those lower-class oiks he actually despises.

Sorry. Bit of politics there.

SuperstarSteve
22 minutes ago, kirkierobroy said:

So what was all that about? I fear it may actually have achieved its aim - if it was the moneybags clubs firing a warning shot and reminding UEFA that the already warped and exclusive Champion's League should be made more exclusive and repetitive and boring or they'll form an exclusive, repetitive, boring millionaires' league of their own.

I also fear that the episode will be memeorialised as Bungling Bonzo Saving Football for all those lower-class oiks he actually despises.

Sorry. Bit of politics there.

Money. Over spending and they want bailed out and guaranteed money annually. Which they will get instead of being punished they will be rewarded for this. 

Rather than having to fold or be stuck not being able to compete like everyone else has to do. Clubs are bigger than the sport and winning is all about how much you can loan so you can rack up debt and buy success. 
The hypocrisy of everyone who defending this model claiming winning should be on merit was laughable. 
Personally every games a friendly for me until genuine financial fair play and wage caps are introduced. 

dobmisterdobster

That is a ridiculous amount of debt for Spurs to have. They are not a mega club like the other teams in the list.

14 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

That is a ridiculous amount of debt for Spurs to have. They are not a mega club like the other teams in the list.

They will have included the cost of the new stadium in that. 

SectionDJambo
6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

They will have included the cost of the new stadium in that. 

Yes

They’ll have separate finance for that which they would have expected to have been able to have had a couple of NFL games to hire out the stadium for. They will also have expected to have sold naming rights for a the stadium.

Levy appears to be losing his grip on his decision making. Changing team manager so soon after getting to the Champions League final, hiring Mourinho and not being able to get naming rights for the stadium are signs, to me, that he thinks he’s smarter than he really is.

The alternative ?  A ‘British’ League, with Celtic and Rangers?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/14723904/rangers-celtic-british-super-league-premier-league/

I said, if it happens, let them go.  But they go fully.  None of the colts playing in Scotland crap, or being allowed to play in the cups.  

And once gone, they are gone forever.   No allowing back, or fast tracking back, if it goes tits up.  

Edited by Paolo

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, Paolo said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/14723904/rangers-celtic-british-super-league-premier-league/

I said, if it happens, let them go.  But they go fully.  None of the colts playing in Scotland crap, or being allowed to play in the cups.  

And once gone, they are gone forever.   No allowing back, or fast tracking back, if it goes tits up.  

THIS ENTIRELY.

But we all know it's wishful thinking.

edit:

Just clicked the link, why the **** would the EPL want the OF?

THEY ARE DOING PERFECTLY FINE WITHOUT THEM.

Edited by Tommy Brown

Seymour M Hersh
15 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

20210421_154130.jpg

Liverpool don't have debt anywhere near approaching that figure. Bank debt is around £20m plus inter club debt (not sure what this is btw, maybe transfers still to be paid) of around £79m. No idea about the other clubs on the list though. 

Peakybunnet
20 hours ago, RobNox said:

I agree.  They should be banned from all European competition for 12 months.  Let some of the 'wee' clubs get a share of the spoils, though it would probably mean PSG v Bayern for next season's Champions League.

Like last year?

3 hours ago, Paolo said:

This will not happen - turkeys don't vote for Christmas. The majority of teams would lose out so will go against it. It should be a non starter and this chat is the natural successor to the ESL stories that papers want to generate. 

IMO A British league is a complete non starter. However, I believe that a number of tiered European / Atlantic leagues will happen in the future. UEFA run of course!

In fairness to Celtic and Rangers, it's not them pushing for it this time. Although I'm sure they'll be delighted at the prospect. The irony of Celtic wanting to play in a British Super League though will be incredible.

Let them go I say. Our wee league will become an incredibly competitive league, and those ****s will go down south probably begging to come back in 5 years.

They all have this delusion of grandeur that if they go down there, they'll be top 4 clubs rubbing shoulders with the best. Pish. Unless one of them is taken over by oil rich tycoons, they'll be midtable like Everton, Aston Villa and Newcastle. Without their silverware every season, and promise of constant Champions League football, the 'legacy' fans will slowly turn away once the novelty of playing Burnley and Fulham wears off. Crowds will either dip, or those fans will be replaced by selfie stick holding Korean's and Indian's. Either way, the Celtic or Rangers we know will be spiritually dead, and I'll ****ing rejoice for every minute of it.

complete control
3 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Liverpool don't have debt anywhere near approaching that figure. Bank debt is around £20m plus inter club debt (not sure what this is btw, maybe transfers still to be paid) of around £79m. No idea about the other clubs on the list though. 

Founder members of this that super league but applied for goverment furlough money  😏

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Hashimoto said:

IMO A British league is a complete non starter. However, I believe that a number of tiered European / Atlantic leagues will happen in the future. UEFA run of course!

This.

celtic and rangers would probably fit in European Super League Division 2 (North)

Nookie Bear

I am not having it that this ESL is dead in the water.

There is no way that the 12 will simply walk away and forget about it. This wasn't concocted after a boozy night last week, they will have been involved in detailed discussions for months, perhaps even longer, and appear to have backing from JP Morgan. They will also have reached out to the likes of  Disney, Amazon & Sky with regard to broadcasting rights and to guage their level of interest.

And they will shelve it because a few fans went on the streets with banners? They will return with a more subtle proposal, probably based on TV rights, and then play a longer game to have this in place for 2025ish

Rogue Daddy

1 hour ago, Hashimoto said:

Absolutely. I love how when a 'British League' is mentioned.... only 2 Scottish teams appear to be involved.... no  mention of the other 40 in the SPFL.

GTF

Just reading that apparently Perez said they all signed contracts and they can't just withdraw like that.

Also said that champions league only gets interesting from QFs on; the rest is dull. I suppose thats what happens when a 'super' club spends hundreds of millions on transfers and wages so they can beat everyone, and then complain when they are hundreds of millions in debt 🤷‍♂️

Rogue Daddy
1 minute ago, Vansen said:

Just reading that apparently Perez said they all signed contracts and they can't just withdraw like that.

Also said that champions league only gets interesting from QFs on; the rest is dull. I suppose thats what happens when a 'super' club spends hundreds of millions on transfers and wages so they can beat everyone, and then complain when they are hundreds of millions in debt 🤷‍♂️

It's absolutely grotesque. Their time would be better spent colluding with FIFA on how to cap player wages or invent a FFP system that actually works... you know, so they don't get themselves into such huge debt in the first place.

This whole nonsense (IMO) can be traced back to 'Bosman'... now it's the players (and their agents) that dictate, not the clubs and associations (of the 'Elite' leagues at least.)

28 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I am not having it that this ESL is dead in the water.

There is no way that the 12 will simply walk away and forget about it. This wasn't concocted after a boozy night last week, they will have been involved in detailed discussions for months, perhaps even longer, and appear to have backing from JP Morgan. They will also have reached out to the likes of  Disney, Amazon & Sky with regard to broadcasting rights and to guage their level of interest.

And they will shelve it because a few fans went on the streets with banners? They will return with a more subtle proposal, probably based on TV rights, and then play a longer game to have this in place for 2025ish

It's as dead as the Dodo, or Norwegian Blue Parrot!

It wasn't fan power that blew it out of the water, despite with the clubs said! It was the threat of far reaching government and UEFA sanctions that forced their change of mind.

Edited by Hashimoto

On 20/04/2021 at 23:24, dobmisterdobster said:

There have to be consequences for bringing the game into disrepute. I know there won't be any sadly.

Liverpool blaming Pickford.

6 hours ago, Paolo said:

Absolutely not.

54 minutes ago, Vansen said:

He's got a point. The new changes to the Champions league create even more games before the quarter finals. Straight knock out with no groups would be one option. But they want more games for more money. 

He wants the big teams to play earlier in season. Well scrap any seeding. Open draw. Maybe one leg. It they want to interest the 'youngsters'. 

But we had something like that. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Basically Real Madrid are in a massive financial mess due to years of overspending and their solution is a further concentration of money at the top.

It will be interesting to see what Perez next move is.

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, complete control said:

Founder members of this that super league but applied for goverment furlough money  😏

And what happened next? 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

Seymour M Hersh
47 minutes ago, benny said:

Liverpool blaming Pickford.

To be fair if it was true, which it obviously is not, it wouldn't be a bad shout. He's got some mistakes in him that one.  

4 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

What's the latest accounts saying? Everyone suffering big losses due to Covid. 

The problem with Liverpool's owner is a pattern. Furlough, £77 tickets, Project Big Picture in England which was similar to the ESL.Then he backs down runs away behind the 'people's club' labels. Testing the water perhaps. 

Sick of folk already saying Scottish football would die if the Old Firm left.My view is entirely different Scottish football would have an opportunity to thrive.

Imagine a league where teams got together a wage cap was imposed and youth was really promoted and developed.The journeymen that were brought in to somehow try to just  be somewhere near the Old Firm was gone.Clubs couldn't buy from each other unless a player was over 23.Games at 3pm and streaming allowed the big games live on BBC Scotland and a proper highlights package.Imo crowds would likely increase not decrease.Championships would be contested fiercely with so many teams in with a chance to win.Over time youth promoted and sold we could become a league that talent was nurtured and bought from a lot more countries than  it is just now and the national team could prosper too.

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, Mikey1874 said:

What's the latest accounts saying? Everyone suffering big losses due to Covid. 

The problem with Liverpool's owner is a pattern. Furlough, £77 tickets, Project Big Picture in England which was similar to the ESL.Then he backs down runs away behind the 'people's club' labels. Testing the water perhaps. 

The £20 million is from the most recent accounts. The peoples club was a tag given to Everton by Moyes. 

Rogue Daddy
19 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

He's got a point. The new changes to the Champions league create even more games before the quarter finals. Straight knock out with no groups would be one option. But they want more games for more money. 

He wants the big teams to play earlier in season. Well scrap any seeding. Open draw. Maybe one leg. It they want to interest the 'youngsters'. 

But we had something like that. 

You're bang on, the old European Cup... it was better and fairer (IMO). Like you say, take it back to Champions only (I wouldn't be against even 2nd places getting access to qualifying rounds, but that's it.) Maximum 2 places... none of the 3,4,5(?) places shite for 'Elite' leagues. Nonsense.

Rogue Daddy
4 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Sick of folk already saying Scottish football would die if the Old Firm left.My view is entirely different Scottish football would have an opportunity to thrive.

Imagine a league where teams got together a wage cap was imposed and youth was really promoted and developed.The journeymen that were brought in to somehow try to just  be somewhere near the Old Firm was gone.Clubs couldn't buy from each other unless a player was over 23.Games at 3pm and streaming allowed the big games live on BBC Scotland and a proper highlights package.Imo crowds would likely increase not decrease.Championships would be contested fiercely with so many teams in with a chance to win.Over time youth promoted and sold we could become a league that talent was nurtured and bought from a lot more countries than  it is just now and the national team could prosper too.

Ah... my favourite soap box! And completely agree. If the uglies left, it would be the MAKING of Scottish football.

Even if they don't leave, IF it was a level playing field for all Premier clubs, I think there would be more of a challenge to the OF. I'll say it again.... if it was a level playing field, or FAIR... it would go a long way to our league being competitive again. How pathetic must our league set-up be, for fans just to wish for this?

Equal officiating, equal TV rights, equal TV coverage (monies), equal fixtures (not bast***ised to suit 2), equal voting rights, equal board representation... we could go on and on....

...now I'm depressed again. Scottish football sucks!

FTSPFL FTOF FTH FTSFA

SuperstarSteve
15 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

100% wouldn’t die. Less TV and a couple hundred K down due to them not visiting stadiums and selling them out. 
Team could cut their cloth accordingly and job done.

Total myth Scottish football needs them. The fans want them gone. Club owners don’t, they want their extra income so they can pocket majority of it. 

1 minute ago, SuperstarSteve said:

100% wouldn’t die. Less TV and a couple hundred K down due to them not visiting stadiums and selling them out. 

Total myth Scottish football needs them. The fans want them gone. Club owners don’t, they want their extra income so they can pocket majority of it. 

It's such a short sighted view from owners though.

7 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Ah... my favourite soap box! And completely agree. If the uglies left, it would be the MAKING of Scottish football.

Even if they don't leave, IF it was a level playing field for all Premier clubs, I think there would be more of a challenge to the OF. I'll say it again.... if it was a level playing field, or FAIR... it would go a long way to our league being competitive again. How pathetic must our league set-up be, for fans just to wish for this?

Equal officiating, equal TV rights, equal TV coverage (monies), equal fixtures (not bast***ised to suit 2), equal voting rights, equal board representation... we could go on and on....

...now I'm depressed again. Scottish football sucks!

FTSPFL FTOF FTH FTSFA

It really does but as we both say it doesn't have to be like that.

dobmisterdobster
45 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Basically Real Madrid are in a massive financial mess due to years of overspending and their solution is a further concentration of money at the top.

It will be interesting to see what Perez next move is.

He is insisting the project isn't dead.

11 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

It would be a strange World - no foreign players would consider the leagues so all players would be Scottish. The interesting question is whether the OF would still raid all the best young players from other clubs or would having a Scottish identity no longer matter to them?

SuperstarSteve
4 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

It would be a strange World - no foreign players would consider the leagues so all players would be Scottish. The interesting question is whether the OF would still raid all the best young players from other clubs or would having a Scottish identity no longer matter to them?

That’s a fair point. I don’t think having a Scottish identity would matter too much to them though. 

kingantti1874
36 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

Scottish football would be no more relevant than welsh football, or the Irish leagues. It would be the beginning of the end

I hope for a top to bottom reinvention of European / British football and pray we are part of it.

1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

Scottish football would be no more relevant than welsh football, or the Irish leagues. It would be the beginning of the end

I hope for a top to bottom reinvention of European / British football and pray we are part of it.

I agree with this.

Like it or not, Scottish football is on the whole Celtic and Rangers outside of Scotland.
We would very quickly become just another football back water with no real sellable TV assets worth talking about.

If we are to prosper without the gruesome twosome....It needs to be through the European / Atlantic league route. 

SuperstarSteve
24 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Relevant to who? Rest of world? 
Scottish football would thrive without the OF. It would and the myth OF are needed is nonsense. No single club is bigger than football. They are just more valued but we’d be perfectly fine without them. 

Im no against a reinvention of European/British football but I’ve not seen any ideas I’d be for as of yet. 

All the same chances remain to play football games.

If Real Madrid and Barcelona cut back for a few years they could still be competitive. And a few years of more competitive Spanish leagues is hardly the worse thing. Same everywhere. 

Instead they are moaning they can't sign Haaland and Mpabbe. 

10 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

Relevant to who? Rest of world? 
Scottish football would thrive without the OF. It would and the myth OF are needed is nonsense. No single club is bigger than football. They are just more valued but we’d be perfectly fine without them. 

Im no against a reinvention of European/British football but I’ve not seen any ideas I’d be for as of yet. 

Totally would Hearts , Hibs and Aberdeen diminish would they ****.After the initial shock would the likes of Killie and Utd become challengers and crowds increase of course they would.The league would be self sufficient it wouldn't need a big TV deal ( ours is shit anyway ).BBC Scotland would show matches and clubs could stream there own as well.

Just now, vegas-voss said:

Totally would Hearts , Hibs and Aberdeen diminish would they ****.After the initial shock would the likes of Killie and Utd become challengers and crowds increase of course they would.The league would be self sufficient it wouldn't need a big TV deal ( ours is shit anyway ).BBC Scotland would show matches and clubs could stream there own as well.

Yeah 

Scottish football is strong. There would be some adapting. But the clubs and the fans would have a new start.

I don't agree with the comparisons with Wales and the Irish leagues. Also say Queens Park and clubs like Cove Rangers could become strong.