Top European Soccer Teams Agree to Join Breakaway League

Paolo

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

And I’ve thought for years that this is how Scottish Football should be marketed. 

Instead of trying to be like England, sell ourselves as “proper football”. 

Same. We talk down our own game far too much. Unfortunately the folk like Doncaster who run it are the worst for doing that.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• Rogue Daddy

• Tazio

Guest ToqueJambo

Going by Twitter, the kind of people who support this are the same folk who subscribe to The Athletic, which mostly ignores grassroots football - it's "Scottish" coverage is all OF for example - and who have YouTube channels of themselves watching EPL and CL games from their basements in Atlanta and New York. This is all being driven by American interests - American investors, American owners of backed broadcast and other media interests, club owners and "fans".

The next step will be al player contracts will be owned by the league and they'll be "traded", plus there will be a draft system for young players and salary caps to try to produce a different league winner every year. They'll change the rules too.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Just being casting my mind back to when Kerry Packer caused big cracks in the cricketing world. This proposed super league looks to  have similar initial troubles.

Extract from Wikipedia 

Outside Australia, Packer was best known for founding World Series Cricket. In 1977 the Nine Network cricket rights deal led to a confrontation with the cricket authorities, as top players from several countries rushed to join him at the expense of their international sides.

One of the leaders of the "rebellion" was England captain Tony Greig, who remained a commentator on the Nine Network's payroll until his death in December 2012. Packer's aim was to secure broadcasting rights for Australian cricket, and he was largely successful. In the 1970s the global cricket establishment fiercely opposed Packer in the courts. To counter the establishment, Packer hired the ten best Senior Counsels in the UK and put them on retainers, stipulating that they were not to take on any additional work during the court case (the sole purpose of which was to deny the establishment the best legal minds to prosecute their case) .[citation needed] When he died he was mourned with a minute's silence at the MCG as one of the most influential figures in the history of the sport.

Packer was famously quoted from a 1976 meeting with the Australian Cricket Board, with whom he met to negotiate the rights to televise cricket. According to witnesses, he said: "There is a little bit of the whore in all of us, gentlemen. What is your price?"[9]

Jeffros Furios
6 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Demo at Chelsea tonight..up to 1000 present

CHELSEA WANKERS 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Locky said:

Oor Paulo isn't a fan

❤️ Genuinely think he'll be back one day. Only 53 and loves us. 

2 hours ago, Rudy T said:

To me this is a pissing contest between the big clubs and UEFA. Some compromise will be found and yet again the rich will get richer.

Will they though things will just become even more inflated with transfer fees and wages.Im sure the 12 teams mentioned have a combined debt of £8.4b.I know who will be loving the idea of this league though the super agents.

davemclaren
29 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

And I’ve thought for years that this is how Scottish Football should be marketed. 

Instead of trying to be like England, sell ourselves as “proper football”. 

‘Legacy Football’ surely? :sadrobbo:

Unknown user
Just now, vegas-voss said:

Will they though things will just become even more inflated with transfer fees and wages.Im sure the 12 teams mentioned have a combined debt of £8.4b.I know who will be loving the idea of this league though the super agents.

It's not actually happening, it's no coincidence it was announced in the days before UEFA review the champions League structure.

Just a further power play from genuine enemies of real football, and it won't be the last.

manaliveits105
30 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Same. We talk down our own game far too much. Unfortunately the folk like Doncaster who run it are the worst for doing that.

So the eufa guy says eufa need Rangers and Celtic - you would almost think Donkey has a job at eufa - oh wait a minute he does

promoting the whole of Scottish football as usual

John Findlay

Unconfirmed reports that Chelsea are withdrawn from the so called ESL.

Edited by John Findlay

Guest ToqueJambo

I really want Celtic to be invited into this thing. It would show their and their fans' true colours. They've never been the repressed team of the people champions of the underdogs they like to imagine themselves. Since money poured into English football and the CL they've always been desperate to join the rich, elite 1% .

Diadora Van Basten

Let’s face it league football is boring each league is fairly predictable and will continue to be until they redistribute money more equally. 

Shanks said no

Avran Grant hinted that Abramovich might be having 2nd thoughts on 5live earlier. Good for them, whether I like Chelsea or not, they have realised this is a big mistake. 

Jambo 4 Ever
On 19/04/2021 at 17:25, BigAlim said:

Would imagine the english leagues could become less valuable and more teams may come into our market for players

So could be positive for Scottish football in long term

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

To be honest, I'm struggling to see what all the fuss is about a bunch of money-grubbing bar stewards finding a different way of being money-grubbing bar stewards.

About the best post so far on this subject. All this outrage comes a bit late in the game. The so called Champions League. Decades of FIFA and UEFA corruption. A World Cup awarded to a country with zero football tradition. And totally inappropriate for players and fans as a venue. 

FIFA and UEFA outrage seems to me more about "not invented here" than anything else. And of course protecting their own very lucrative power.

Edited by Francis Albert

I think the clubs realised it was becoming a PR nightmare, and then Perez made into into a complete PR shitstorm with his ridiculously naive selfish statement. Lots of phone calls and zoom meetings whizzing around today I’d imagine. 

Jambo 4 Ever
34 minutes ago, Smithee said:

The more I see how upset the spoiled ******* fans of the EPL are, the more I want this to happen

Agreed

and could be good for Scottish football 

So what happened behind the scenes I wonder?

I am against this new pish Champions League format which has mostly slid in under the radar.

1 minute ago, kila said:

I am against this new pish Champions League format which has mostly slid in under the radar.

Questions need to be asked......even that format has clubs qualifying without actually being in the top positions in their own leagues

Barca and Atletico out too. It'll be officially over by the end of the night and will end up costing these clubs millions. Beautiful.

3 minutes ago, kila said:

This is the thing. All they have done is taken focus away from the terrible changes being made to the CL.

4 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Liverpool and Manchester United owners are currently on the phone to Porto, Benfica, Ajax and Lyon

Wish that was true. But that Celtic and Rangers were asked instead.

1 minute ago, hughesie27 said:

Wish that was true. But that Celtic and Rangers were asked instead.

Knowing American businessmen it's entirely possible!