New manager incoming ( merged )

Hendolad

7 hours ago, sadj said:

Sorry was going to answer this in depth after I got back in. However if you can listen to Mark Donaldson talking about Finlay Pollock and protocols this season on this weeks “Scarves around the funnel”. That was a large part of what I was going to say. My position should make sense to you based on that. Although as I said my personal opinion is that I think we should have seen a bit more youth this season. 

I appreciate the Covid bubbles meant it wasn't possible to bring youngsters in and out, and Bob did say he thought some players would get more out of being on loan, but it's a sad indictment of the youth set up that so few were deemed suitable to join the first team squad.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• GinRummy

• sadj

• soonbe110

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nelly Terraces
4 hours ago, siegementality said:

My user name was chosen in 2006, when everybody and their dog was lining up to have a pop at Hearts under Romanov. The siegementality was against outsiders who criticise the club. I have that same attitude toward outsiders, I am however a bit more mature and can now see that there are times when you cannot defend the indefensible.

Neilson was, and is, a poor choice of manager. He is not what we require to progress. His ‘style’ of football is outdated and will not be effective against Premiership sides. Since 2014, Neilson has spent all but one and half seasons managing in the lower leagues in Scotland and England. His record in the cups is dreadful. At Hearts he has been responsible for our most embarrassing European defeat against Maltese plumbers and bankers, and our most embarrassing Scottish Cup defeat by Highland League Brora Rangers. He’s been emptied out the League Cup by Alloa, and we’ve witnessed some absolutely appalling football throughout the league campaign.  I’ve seen enough to know that Neilson is not what we require.

Lastly, in relation to your “bite your hand off for to 6 next year”.That is exactly the type of attitude that allows complete and utter mediocrity to flourish. Top 6 finishes aren’t success for Hearts and never should be, or maybe I should be watching Manchester City.

:scenes:Total Smackdown! Well said Sir. :thumbsup:

37 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Plus it’s too expensive to sack him

anyway 🤷‍♂️

More expensive if we don't. 😉

Just now, fancy a brew said:

I appreciate the Covid bubbles meant it wasn't possible to bring youngsters in and out, and Bob did say he thought some players would get more out of being on loan, but it's a sad indictment of the youth set up that so few were deemed suitable to join the first team squad.

Even at that though training with or being around the first team was difficult with the protocols. For a team who have been for want of a better word , shit for a couple of years at least , trying to bring them in when they cant get football outside of the first team and the lack of integration would be hard imo and could be counter productive.

I have said quite a few times that I think this season is one thats hard to judge anything on properly. (Not an excuse for some of the horrendous performances) Of all the teams around I think we’ve been affected most as we tried to get going early and prep and we had to stop then start again , the season was delayed , makes you dwell on where we were , its harder for the manager to put his ideas in place and plans have to be adjusted. (Again not excuses) All these small things can have a big effect on the process players go through. With that having more seasoned pros and less youth about does make sense as they should be able to adapt better. 

john thomas
3 hours ago, David Black said:

You have got to correctly coach the players so that they can carry out the tactics you want. 

As I said

Holyrood_Hearts
5 hours ago, siegementality said:

My user name was chosen in 2006, when everybody and their dog was lining up to have a pop at Hearts under Romanov. The siegementality was against outsiders who criticise the club. I have that same attitude toward outsiders, I am however a bit more mature and can now see that there are times when you cannot defend the indefensible.

Neilson was, and is, a poor choice of manager. He is not what we require to progress. His ‘style’ of football is outdated and will not be effective against Premiership sides. Since 2014, Neilson has spent all but one and half seasons managing in the lower leagues in Scotland and England. His record in the cups is dreadful. At Hearts he has been responsible for our most embarrassing European defeat against Maltese plumbers and bankers, and our most embarrassing Scottish Cup defeat by Highland League Brora Rangers. He’s been emptied out the League Cup by Alloa, and we’ve witnessed some absolutely appalling football throughout the league campaign.  I’ve seen enough to know that Neilson is not what we require.

Lastly, in relation to your “bite your hand off for to 6 next year”.That is exactly the type of attitude that allows complete and utter mediocrity to flourish. Top 6 finishes aren’t success for Hearts and never should be, or maybe I should be watching Manchester City.

Absolutely spot on sir 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

9 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Who do you think we should be going for?

Before we start signing players we need to decide on how we want to play, we chop and change formation 3/4 times a game yet sign players coming from teams that play in an entirely different way which ends up with players being shoehorned into a system that doesn’t suit them. 

mcaneff and Halkett are both examples of this, Mcaneff spent the last 2 years playing as the box to box midfielder in a central midfield two yet we’ve played him either on the right or as part of a midfield three, Halkett played as part of a back 5 at livi with defensive fullbacks, we either play him in a back 4 or if we do play 3 centre half’s then we play with wingbacks providing less defensive cover.

Yes players need to be adaptable to an extent but having a core way of playing and signing players that are used to that system will only improve us imho

Sitting in at Ross county, St Mirren, Hamilton next season hoping not to lose a goal with no plan B when we do.

We all know what's coming if Neilson stays.

Get someone fresh in with fresh ideas.

The Wrinkly Ninja
2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Do you think we should stick with him?

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I'll tell you once you admit to making things up.

I’ll ask you then...I’ve made stuff up before!

Do you think we should stick with Robbie Neilson JamboAl?

Pugh,

Pugh, 

Barney McGrew,

Cuthbert,

Dibble,

(and) Grubb.

They're all here, firefighting in shifts.

3 minutes ago, martoon said:

Pugh,

Pugh, 

Barney McGrew,

Cuthbert,

Dibble,

(and) Grubb.

Take any of them. 

8 minutes ago, martoon said:

Pugh,

Pugh, 

Barney McGrew,

Cuthbert,

Dibble,

(and) Grubb.

:rofl:

11 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Take any of them. 

Take them where?  🤷🏿‍♂️

27 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Take any of them. 

🤣 can we get windy miller in too. 

20 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Take them where?  🤷🏿‍♂️

One of them told me to **** off last night, Morg.

My money is on one of the Pugh's.

Long time ago, but I don't recall such language in Trumpton. 

Edited by martoon

2 minutes ago, martoon said:

One of them told me to **** off last night, Morg.

My money is on one of the Pugh's.

Long time ago, but I don't recall such language in Trumpton. 

It’s the crucifixion of the English language that gets me, Mart.

How the Hell can people start a sentence with ‘Take’?  🤷🏿‍♂️

Just type ‘I would take’ and everything in the garden is rosy.  👍

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

I would take that advice, Morg. 😊

2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I can be bad with my language or grammar but that conjured an image of an English book on a cross surrounded by lots of simpletons with pitchforks and flaming torches....

1 hour ago, Australis said:

Sitting in at Ross county, St Mirren, Hamilton next season hoping not to lose a goal with no plan B when we do.

We all know what's coming if Neilson stays.

Get someone fresh in with fresh ideas.

I am gobsmacked that some people can't see what's coming if Neilson remains. This ”give him a 3rd transfer window & see where we are after 10 games” posturing will see us heading right back to the tinpot league we've just escaped from.

3 minutes ago, martoon said:

I would take that advice, Morg. 😊

2 minutes ago, sadj said:

I can be bad with my language or grammar but that conjured an image of an English book on a cross surrounded by lots of simpletons with pitchforks and flaming torches....

You two.  :notworthy:

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, iainmac said:

I am gobsmacked that some people can't see what's coming if Neilson remains. This ”give him a 3rd transfer window & see where we are after 10 games” posturing will see us heading right back to the tinpot league we've just escaped from.

.... in which case we'd have the ideal manager in charge to get us back out of it again.  :whistling:

4 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Not sure I did tbh

You clearly implied it though.

Where did that come from?

2 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

:rofl:

Part of my early 70's childhood but, tbh, I had to google to get the names right. 😄

Time to take a Rangers like punt on a Gerrard type? Recently retired from playing. Looking for a start in the managerial game.

Someone with a never say die mentality, vastly experienced playing career at the top level, a "name" in a playing career sense who may be capable of attracting the likes of a Defoe who can still do a top class job for a season or two.

Rangers were laughed at when they hired Gerrard. "An under 18's coach" Haha. They're not laughing now.

6 hours ago, Morgan said:

Feck the English language! 

17 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Time to take a Rangers like punt on a Gerrard type? Recently retired from playing. Looking for a start in the managerial game.

Someone with a never say die mentality, vastly experienced playing career at the top level, a "name" in a playing career sense who may be capable of attracting the likes of a Defoe who can still do a top class job for a season or two.

Rangers were laughed at when they hired Gerrard. "An under 18's coach" Haha. They're not laughing now.

Duncan Ferguson would fit that bill, been mentioned by a few other posters.

19 hours ago, siegementality said:

The very, very, vast majority of managers and pundits come out with that line after the signing has not worked out, it’s called hindsight. I can’t recall any manager or pundit saying a signing wouldn’t work out prior to it actually being evidenced, i.e. after the event.

I’d suggest if Neilson is attempting to apply hindsight, before he’s even signed any player, then that needs questioned. Surely every manager signs a player with the expectation that it will work out? 

It’s just another Neilson excuse. Pish performances explained away as the pitch was too sandy/bobbily/dry/wet, despite having seen the pitch prior to kick off. The weather was too cold/sunny/wet despite having seen the weather forecast. Now we have not all players work out, prior to even signing them, and despite the time and effort put into identifying them, and financial outlay in signing them.

Neilson is just full of shite. That’s why people are sick of listening to him. 

Pretty much nails it.  For most.

Nookie Bear
7 hours ago, JamboAl said:

You clearly implied it though.

Where did that come from?

Am I supposed to be apologetic for implying something about what you said? 😂

Just leave it there and move on 👍🏻

SomethingAboutObua
4 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Thing with saying let's do what an OF team have done is they're not comparable at all to any other team in Europe except PSG. Steven Gerrard's got a wage budget more than 5 times that of the closest budget at Aberdeen, plus an actual transfer budget conpared to us, Hibs and Aberdeen's all being less than 1 or 2million, against Neil Lennon to go head to head with for the title.

Obviously going unbeaten and doing well in Europe shows he's certainly not a bad manager, but you have to be absolutely terrible not to be able to win the league with the OF. 

6 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Certainly doesn’t sound like a man who knows he’s getting replaced after the Raith game. 🙄

Interesting article , One thing that stuck was the pre agreed points target. 

SomethingAboutObua
10 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

No surprises there, unfortunately. Had to shake my head at the other article saying we'll start properly playing youth again once we're re established in the top 6. What a mess the club is in. 

2 minutes ago, sadj said:

Not sure it was overly interesting to be honest but yeah pre agreed points with the players ? Not sure what that would achieve. 

Nookie Bear
3 minutes ago, sadj said:

I refuse to believe they are anywhere near a “points target” based on results this season!

3 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

No surprises there, unfortunately. Had to shake my head at the other article saying we'll start properly playing youth again once we're re established in the top 6. What a mess the club is in. 

Do we really need the over dramatic reaction to every article ? As it stands we aren’t really in a mess. We all want a change of manager but a little perspective is needed after what was a season that achieved its goal admittedly littered with some horrific results. 

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I refuse to believe they are anywhere near a “points target” based on results this season!

Indeed

3 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Not sure it was overly interesting to be honest but yeah pre agreed points with the players ? Not sure what that would achieve. 

Would suggest a bonus for hitting that points target but imo its a low bar if they can still achieve it. If they had said 65 points was a target for a bonus then fair enough

6 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Can’t be anyone left who actually thinks he is going ?  

Not sure start a poll 😉

7 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yep they are. One of the old Levein targets (first time round) as well as other managers in top half. Win home games, draw away games and you will be very close to top of table. This seasons target would be 55. Levein/JJ used to exclude OF games from the calculation and treat those games as bonus point opportunities. 

Nookie Bear
5 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Yep they are. One of the old Levein targets (first time round) as well as other managers in top half. Win home games, draw away games and you will be very close to top of table. This seasons target would be 55. Levein/JJ used to exclude OF games from the calculation and treat those games as bonus point opportunities. 

When the FoH take over, item 1 on the agenda is to get that ***** name removed from the new stand plaque. 

4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

When the FoH take over, item 1 on the agenda is to get that ***** name removed from the new stand plaque. 

Didn’t have down as a cancel culture guy. 

kingantti1874
20 minutes ago, sadj said:

Not sure start a poll 😉

Not sure why people find it a negative to gather an up to date view. People will change their minds. 

• davemclaren locked this topic