Andrew McKinlay Hearts CEO (merged threads)

maroongoals

8 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

I can't find it via Google, but I'm sure a company structure was presented at the 2019 AGM, which was notable IIRC for not having the minutes made public for some time even if at all), so perhaps my memory is playing tricks and the presentation slides weren't made public too.

This year of course there was no public AGM and only an AB statement and minutes were released.

Anyway, to the point.  Here is the club executive structure from 2018 AGM.

Due to Covid, at potentially the benefit of AB, none of us really have a clue on McKinlay's remit and where Savage and Neilson report.

Under a normal CEO structure everyone would report into him, her, so as such won't McKinlay be his wife's boss.

Perhaps @Footballfirsthas notes in his files from say 2019?

Screenshot_20210328-190216_Drive.jpg

Imagine you are a peer of Lesley's and you have a "difference of opinion" & your boss has to get involved. 

Slight conflict there. 

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iainmac

• davemclaren

• Pasquale for King

• NANOJAMBO

Greedy Jambo

I wouldn't be surprised if we got Andrew McKinlay in due to the debacle with demotion and losing the court case. 

He was a lawyer for 16 years and worked with the SPL after all. 

2 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Imagine you are a peer of Lesley's and you have a "difference of opinion" & your boss has to get involved. 

Slight conflict there. 

So Iain this is not a rumour but absolutely true that AM and LB are married?

At executive level for major organisations, external recruiters are often engaged instead of in house HR but Jesus, please say AM's wife wasn't on his interview panel in her role as HR Executive....

5 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we got Andrew McKinlay in due to the debacle with demotion and losing the court case. 

He was a lawyer for 16 years and worked with the SPL after all. 

It was discussed on here last night  - I posted a DR link where he specifically talks about this. He was previously one time COO at the SFA. 

1 minute ago, DETTY29 said:

At executive level for major organisations, external recruiters are often engaged instead of in house HR but Jesus, please say AM's wife wasn't on his interview panel in her role as HR Executive....

You honestly think there was one in reality ? 

Greedy Jambo
1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

It was discussed on here last night  - I posted a DR link where he specifically talks about this. He was previously one time COO at the SFA. 

👍

1 hour ago, Sherbet said:

Hope when she goes there is a full investigation into the awarding of contracts and the appointment of personnel process

The appointment of Cathro would be a good starting point but that ship has sailed. 

5 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

I think PFK posted a link on this thread that made it clear that his wife suggested him for the role. 

Footballfirst
29 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

I can't find it via Google, but I'm sure a company structure was presented at the 2019 AGM, which was notable IIRC for not having the minutes made public for some time even if at all), so perhaps my memory is playing tricks and the presentation slides weren't made public too.

This year of course there was no public AGM and only an AB statement and minutes were released.

Anyway, to the point.  Here is the club executive structure from 2018 AGM.

Due to Covid, at potentially the benefit of AB, none of us really have a clue on McKinlay's remit and where Savage and Neilson report.

Under a normal CEO structure everyone would report into him, her, so as such won't McKinlay be his wife's boss.

Perhaps @Footballfirsthas notes in his files from say 2019?

Screenshot_20210328-190216_Drive.jpg

I'm afraid I don't have any notes, other than having taken photos of some of the slides at the 2019 AGM.

As you say, no minutes were produced. I did email the club about that at the time, but didn't get a reply.

lost in space

I don't know about private industry but in Public Organisations there is a very strict HR process on recruitment with all documents held in case of appeals.

For instance, how the post is avertised; paper sift markings for each application; each interviewers markings for each candidate for each skill being examined.

Each interviewer must mark independently so there is no bullying or collusion.

Different of course if a company is owned by a single owner - they can hire who they want - and maybe different for a private company that hire who the Board decides.

In the case of McKinlay - what process was followed to ensure we got the best candidate for the job???

Unfortunately, I think I can guess the answer.

Footballfirst
3 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

On the subject of Lesley Blair ....... her LinkedIn page suggests she has been Central Services Director since April 2019. But prior to that she was " executive management consultant"  (aahhhh ... one of those !!)  at Hearts since October 2016.  Which coincidentally is the same date she became Managing Director of a company called LJB Consulting.   

LJB - probably her initials, so looks like  she set herself up as a one-woman company and immediately got hired by Ann Budge ?

The incestuous/murky world of senior executive consultancies rears its ugly head again.   

Can anyone find out if she is paid as a consultant by Hearts or as proper employee  ?      Someone said she was married to Andrew McKinlay - is there a link anywhere to prove this ?

From the Scotland'sPeople website

Surname  Forename  Spouse Surname  Spouse Forename   Year  Ref  RD Name

BLAIR
LESLEY JANE
MCKINLAY
ANDREW JOHN
603/ 282
Glasgow, Martha St
Edited by Footballfirst

Japan Jambo
4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

From the Scotland'sPeople website

Surname  Forename  Spouse Surname  Spouse Forename   Year  Ref  RD Name

BLAIR
LESLEY JANE
MCKINLAY
ANDREW JOHN
603/ 282
Glasgow, Martha St

good lord, I'd assumed this was horse sh!t

August Landmesser
35 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

HR staff don't sit in on interviews unless it's an interview for a job in the HR dept 

davemclaren
8 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

HR staff don't sit in on interviews unless it's an interview for a job in the HR dept 

Since about 2010 or so it has been common practice for HR reps to start in on formal interviews. At least it was in the companies I was recruiting for. 

11 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

Wrong!

I was interviewed for a senior managers position with a large company......HR was most definitely sitting across the table from me that day.

August Landmesser
4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Since about 2010 or so it has been common practice for HR reps to start in on formal interviews. At least it was in the companies I was recruiting for. 

1 minute ago, Hashimoto said:

Wrong!

I was interviewed for a senior managers position with a large company......HR was most definitely sitting across the table from me that day.

Then I stand corrected (in my orthopaedic shoes). Seems a waste of time having HR sit in on an interview though. All they tend to deal with is bank details, start forms etc.

Anyway, I highly doubt the fellas wife was on his own interview panel

15 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

I was conducting interviews at my work last month and HR sat in on all of them.

2 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

Wrong!

There's no hard fast rules - it just depends on the internal process of each company.    I've seen it both ways and in more recent years it was not the norm for HR to sit in and recruiting managers had been trained in interviewing skills and HR functions have often been cut back to save costs.    It's not 'best practice' one way or the other in my experience.

davemclaren
1 minute ago, August Landmesser said:

Then I stand corrected (in my orthopaedic shoes). Seems a waste of time having HR sit in on an interview though. All they tend to deal with is bank details, start forms etc.

I doubt it as well. Any other candidate could have a legal field day if they knew that had happened. 😂

50 minutes ago, iainmac said:

I think PFK posted a link on this thread that made it clear that his wife suggested him for the role. 

Apparently it was between AM and Ann's brother.:jj_facepalm:

lost in space
5 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

Think HR are there to ensure process is properly followed - ensuring no legal challenge by losing candidate.

August Landmesser
1 minute ago, lost in space said:

Think HR are there to ensure process is properly followed - ensuring no legal challenge by losing candidate.

I've had a few middle/upper management job interviews in my time and I've only ever been interviewed by folk from the relevant Dept to my job, HR were only ever involved at pre/post interview stage. 

Appreciate it's likely different for a CEO of a multimillion pound company than a wee archaeologist right enough!

lost in space
1 minute ago, August Landmesser said:

I've had a few middle/upper management job interviews in my time and I've only ever been interviewed by folk from the relevant Dept to my job, HR were only ever involved at pre/post interview stage. 

Appreciate it's likely different for a CEO of a multimillion pound company than a wee archaeologist right enough!

That is the kind of thing that HR would have been all over - not allowed to advertise for "wee archaeoligist" (size-ist!!).

You dig?

😞- sorry.

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, obua said:

I’ve not seen anyone asking what Eric Hogg done to get his gig.

That's just pillow talk. :whistling:

Lone Striker

Thanks  @Footballfirst  and @Pasquale for King for the info and links.    It would appear that our  recruitment process for senior executive positions is questionable  (based on some incumbents' relationships) .....  in a similar way to how  our player recruitment process  has been questionable for several years.

It would be interesting to know if the CEO position was actually advertised (or  the  search outsourced to a head-hunting agency). Or was   it filled one morning by a water-cooler chat between Budge & Blair ?

The extent of  nepotism/cronyism/incompetence slowly being revealed at Hearts is jaw-dropping. Rotten to the core, sadly. :tlj:

Nookie Bear

Ann’s empire being exposed here. 

We were too busy looking to expose Celtic’s business nepotism and forgot to look closer to home. 

August Landmesser
2 hours ago, lost in space said:

That is the kind of thing that HR would have been all over - not allowed to advertise for "wee archaeoligist" (size-ist!!).

You dig?

😞- sorry.

:getout:

👍

12 hours ago, innerjambo said:

He takes his salary, plays golf on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. Then he gives himself a pat on the back, and has a rest day on Monday. 

New Craig David song isn't the best.....

On 23/03/2021 at 21:58, Captain Canada said:

Has he said anything publicly since he started? I'd forgotten we'd even appointed him! 

I can’t believe how bad Anne Budge has been at this club 

Toxteth O'Grady
3 hours ago, obua said:

I’ve not seen anyone asking what Eric Hogg done to get his gig.

He shags Ann - a tough gig 

Finlay James
17 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Where are you seeing personal attacks on Budge? Most of the comments are focussed entirely on their work.

It's ironic that you then follow up with a personal attack on Neilson which clearly is something you really can't know. I can understand fans who don't care about how the club  is run beyond the first team. I can't understand someone coming on to a thread about the CEO of the club and being surprised to discover the focus of that one thread is how the club is run. If your entire focus is in Neilson, then there are dozens of threads you will find more to your tastes.

Thanks for your guidance and for putting me on the right path

Keep up the good work lads.This could be invaluable in exposing Budge for the myth that she is.I just feel and have done for a long time, that there is a bad smell about this regime and they're running out of deodoriser.

8 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Ann’s empire being exposed here. 

We were too busy looking to expose Celtic’s business nepotism and forgot to look closer to home. 

We just looked along the corridor and there he was!

Auldbenches
1 hour ago, Four faces said:

Keep up the good work lads.This could be invaluable in exposing Budge for the myth that she is.I just feel and have done for a long time, that there is a bad smell about this regime and they're running out of deodoriser.

There is some fantastic posts on this thread that are doing our club a massive favour.  

Those little shites have been milking us for millions.  

They would've continued to get away with this for years if this place didn't exist.

You can see why there are some posters desperate for her to stay on.  Only those who know someone benefitting from all this wouldn't want her home. 

****ing charlatans.

2 hours ago, Four faces said:

Bad smell you say....

Saint Jambo
3 hours ago, Finlay James said:

Thanks for your guidance and for putting me on the right path

You don't do irony do you.

lost in space

I thought I would find out what a CEO does - as apposed to an Chief Executive/ MD/President/Owner/Director of Football/COO (Operations)/ CFO (Finance)/ etc

Doing a simple google check brought the following -

"The typical duties, responsibilities, and job description of a CEO include: Communicating, on behalf of the company, with shareholders, government entities, and the public. Leading the development of the company’s short- and long-term strategy Creating and implementing the company or organization’s vision and mission"

"A CEO, which stands for Chief Executive Officer, is the highest-ranking individual in a company or organization. The CEO is responsible for the overall success of a business entity or other organization and for making top-level managerial decisions. They may ask for input on major decisions, but they are the ultimate authority in making final decisions. There are other titles for CEOs, such as chief executive, president, and managing director.

The Chief Executive Officer reports directly to, and is accountable to, the Board of Directors for the performance of a company. The Board of Directors (BoD) is a group of individuals who are elected to represent the shareholders of the company. The CEO often sits on the board and, in some cases, she or he is the chairperson."

There are a large number of definitions and descriptions of what a CEO does and I am not going to go through them all. However, just taking "Communicating, on behalf of the company" would suggest that our CEO is not doing his job.

Is Ann Budge as bad at appointing CEOs, as she is at appointing Head Coaches?

Is our CEO being allowed to do his job?

If our CEO is not being allowed to do his job, why is he at the club?

What salary is our CEO being paid for not doing his job?

Should our CEO be sacked? - or if he had any dignity, resign due to interference?

Is it silly of me to suggest that the FOH board will have, amongst the top of their priorities, a streamlining of unnecessary posts and we can bin McKinlay and anyone else who isn’t value for money ? The bloke hasn’t said a word publicly since he was appointed.

13 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Is it silly of me to suggest that the FOH board will have, amongst the top of their priorities, a streamlining of unnecessary posts and we can bin McKinlay and anyone else who isn’t value for money ? The bloke hasn’t said a word publicly since he was appointed.

I suggest they start with whichever board director is handling communications. It can’t seriously be a responsibility which requires more than the equivalent of a couple of days a week, it’s no doubt handsomely remunerated and it’s being ****ed up to an almost comical degree.

8 minutes ago, leginten said:

I suggest they start with whichever board director is handling communications. It can’t seriously be a responsibility which requires more than the equivalent of a couple of days a week, it’s no doubt handsomely remunerated and it’s being ****ed up to an almost comical degree.

Also, an ‘Operations Director’ Ive never heard of and don’t see a need for given we have a CEO apparently not involved AT ALL on the football side of the business. Financial Director, yes. Sales and Marketing Director, yes. Someone in overall charge of the football department, yes. A head of the whole shooting match, yes. The rest are surplus to requirements or can be replaced by simple departmental managers, like HR. Our business is football. We don’t employ that many people, probably around 200. For a company with one core purpose and all the revenue coming from success in that purpose we are top heavy with executive posts.

Edited by JimmyCant

Interestingly,  just had a chat with a family member who was very senior in Scottish Golf over the past few years and knows Andrew McKinlay well.   Described him as someone who let the Chair do all the work,  and enjoyed his freebies that came with the role,  not someone who takes ownership and gets things done.      Might explain a lot!