Andrew McKinlay Hearts CEO (merged threads)

maroongoals

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iainmac

• davemclaren

• Pasquale for King

• NANOJAMBO

15 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Of course he can : if he's required to attend board meetings he 'll do as he's told. 

Attending Board meetings is neither here nor there. I've sat on a few Boards but never reported into any of them. 

Who is his line manager? 

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Attending Board meetings is neither here nor there. I've sat on a few Boards but never reported into any of them. 

Who is his line manager? 

Ann. 

6 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Who is his line manager? 

As CEO he’ll report to AB as Chair who represents the Board. 

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Ann. 

Thanks. 

Normally only a CEO reports to the Chairman. 

Weird. 

So she is responsible for the "football department" and not the guy that used to work for the SFA? Right. 

Just now, Gmcjambo said:

As CEO he’ll report to AB as Chair who represents the Board. 

I'm talking about Neilson, not the CEO. 

davemclaren
Just now, iainmac said:

Thanks. 

Normally only a CEO reports to the Chairman. 

Weird. 

So she is responsible for the "football department" and not the guy that used to work for the SFA? Right. 

There was an org chart on the Hearts website that showed that but it seems to have disappeared. Finding things on that website is like finding a decent fit winger. 😏

Just now, iainmac said:

I'm talking about Neilson, not the CEO. 

Ah sorry bud.  Just saw your other response.    Unless they have done something highly unusual re corporate governance,   RN would report to an operational role ie CEO or SD and Chairs are only responsible for The Board.   I’m not aware that AB is Chair plus another role?   Sounds weird.  

siegementality

I’m not sure what I expect from McKinlay as CEO at this time. From his interviews he comes over as a good communicator. For that reason alone he should be fronting up because the rest of them are making a complete arse of it.

1 minute ago, Gmcjambo said:

Ah sorry bud.  Just saw your other response.    Unless they have done something highly unusual re corporate governance,   RN would report to an operational role ie CEO or SD and Chairs are only responsible for The Board.   I’m not aware that AB is Chair plus another role?   Sounds weird.  

Exactly and possibly a factor as to why we are where we are. 

What kind of business runs with that structure? 

2 minutes ago, siegementality said:

I’m not sure what I expect from McKinlay as CEO at this time. From his interviews he comes over as a good communicator. For that reason alone he should be fronting up because the rest of them are making a complete arse of it.

Sorry, apart from his intro, what interviews are you seeing? 

Just now, iainmac said:

Exactly and possibly a factor as to why we are where we are. 

What kind of business runs with that structure? 

Indeed but these roles come with legal  obligations in the running of a company which would make it even more surprising if RN somehow reported to the Chair and not the CEO.     I just wish McKinlay steps up and AB simply steps back and away from all things football related pronto! 

siegementality
1 minute ago, iainmac said:

Sorry, apart from his intro, what interviews are you seeing? 

From his previous roles. You Tube will sort you out 👍

1 minute ago, siegementality said:

From his previous roles. You Tube will sort you out 👍

Ah right. 

I thought I'd missed his interviews with us. 

3 minutes ago, Gmcjambo said:

Indeed but these roles come with legal  obligations in the running of a company which would make it even more surprising if RN somehow reported to the Chair and not the CEO.     I just wish McKinlay steps up and AB simply steps back and away from all things football related pronto! 

That's basically what they said in the press release when he was appointed. 

AB to focus on long term strategy - how does that fit in with managing Neilson? 

davemclaren
8 minutes ago, Gmcjambo said:

There’s no legal obligation for a CEO. It’s a job title. 

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, iainmac said:

You alluded to it a few days ago. She may well be a control freak. 

3 minutes ago, iainmac said:

That’s what I recall too so it’s all the more disappointing to be seeing statements and interviews from AB on the footballing side,  she should stay well clear and I thought that is what she said she would do.......and needed to do!   Maybe she just can’t help herself abs is a control freak. 

It's beginning to look like that. 

shaun.lawson
2 hours ago, steve123 said:

Yea agree, only one winner in the long run though ....

She is in danger of tainting her legacy, clearly will not hit her in the pocket but will in the eyes of the fans.

She's not tainting it. She's destroyed her legacy. Wrecked it. You can't preside over this amount of shite for five ****ing years and build a hideously ugly, miles and miles over-budget main stand thanks to her brother FFS and not destroy it. 

This should've been a great, hugely optimistic time for the club. Instead, she's harmed it massively through sheer apathy and disillusion - and a cold, corporate culture which displays no understanding of football whatsoever.

42 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Because BUDGE IS STILL IN CHARGE

This shite about her taking a back seat is exactly that. She’s still infecting us with her loser mentality and employing people with the same attitude, like Snoreson.

I agree. Snoreson is the most insufferable ***** known to mankind. 

There’s no legal obligation for a CEO. It’s a job title. 

There is a legal obligation.   I nearly took on a non executive directors role but the reason I didn’t was the relatively small rewards but as a board member you still carry the legal risks even though non exec.   

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, Gmcjambo said:

There is a legal obligation.   I nearly took on a non executive directors role but the reason I didn’t was the relatively small rewards but as a board member you still carry the legal risks even though non exec.   

He’s not a board director. 

He is CEO who isn’t a member of the board?   That’s a first! 

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

He is also a director though

Apologies, he was appointed in August 2020. Yes, he has legal obligations as a director. 

davemclaren
Just now, Gmcjambo said:

He is CEO who isn’t a member of the board?   That’s a first! 

I was wrong. He was appointed in August 2020. 

2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I’m sure he got elected at the last AGM, from the minutes ....

In accordance with the Notice of the AGM the following resolutions were considered and passed:

1.     The Company’s annual accounts and directors’ and auditors’ reports for the year ended 30 June 2020 were approved.

2.     Andrew John McKinlay was appointed as a director of the Company

ford donald
10 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

She is a control freak,every decision is hers.

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Jambo-Fox said:

I’m sure he got elected at the last AGM, from the minutes ....

In accordance with the Notice of the AGM the following resolutions were considered and passed:

1.     The Company’s annual accounts and directors’ and auditors’ reports for the year ended 30 June 2020 were approved.

2.     Andrew John McKinlay was appointed as a director of the Company

He did. 

Japan Jambo
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Apologies, he was appointed in August 2020. Yes, he has legal obligations as a director. 

👍

I was wrong. He was appointed in August 2020. 

Thanks,   I’m not professing to be an expert on Hearts structure bu any means but I do find it very odd that he is not outwardly acting as CEO,   which rightly raises questions on what is going on. 

9 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Did he no shit the bed at Scottish Golf?

It's the bit about a 70 odd year old granny knowing more about football than an ex employee of the SFA that's scunnering me, 

Saint Jambo
8 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

As a random aside, how long has our registered address been the offices of DLA Piper law firm, rather than Tynecastle? Is it normal for clubs to have registered address that isn't their ground?

Back on topic, from what I know, Andrew McKinlay had a very good reputation at both the SFA and Scottish Golf. My understanding is that his issues at golf were mainly to do with him wanting to change things and some clubs being resistant. I was pleased when he was appointed. Since then he seems to have disappeared.

I do think the suggestion Budge is a control freak seems likely. It seems at some point she decided she is qualified to take a pretty hands on decision taking role in relation to the 'football department'. In a recent interview she talked about how she is developing the two year business plan and that she needed to produce the budget. These are both activities I'd expect the CEO to lead on.

Japan Jambo
4 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

As a random aside, how long has our registered address been the offices of DLA Piper law firm, rather than Tynecastle? Is it normal for clubs to have registered address that isn't their ground?

Back on topic, from what I know, Andrew McKinlay had a very good reputation at both the SFA and Scottish Golf. My understanding is that his issues at golf were mainly to do with him wanting to change things and some clubs being resistant. I was pleased when he was appointed. Since then he seems to have disappeared.

I do think the suggestion Budge is a control freak seems likely. It seems at some point she decided she is qualified to take a pretty hands on decision taking role in relation to the 'football department'. In a recent interview she talked about how she is developing the two year business plan and that she needed to produce the budget. These are both activities I'd expect the CEO to lead on.

10/10/2014 was the last change of registered address

quite normal to use lawyers/comp sec address

Saint Jambo
4 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

10/10/2014 was the last change of registered address

quite normal to use lawyers/comp sec address

Fair enough. Thanks.

McKinlay also outlined how he’ll help lighten the load on Budge now he’s in the building.

“By and large, Ann will focus on the more strategic projects that we’re working on to really take Hearts to the next level,” he explained

“I’ll do more of the day-to-day side of things.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/andrew-mckinlay-sees-hearts-scotlands-22553570

Apologies if already posted.

3 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

McKinlay also outlined how he’ll help lighten the load on Budge now he’s in the building.

“By and large, Ann will focus on the more strategic projects that we’re working on to really take Hearts to the next level,” he explained

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/andrew-mckinlay-sees-hearts-scotlands-22553570

I posted the club briefing further up that said the same thing but, it's clearly bullshit, as @davemclaren has pointed out that Neilson reports directly to Ann Budge, not the CEO. 

Just now, iainmac said:

I posted the club briefing further up that said the same thing but, it's clearly bullshit, as @davemclaren has pointed out that Neilson reports directly to Ann Budge, not the CEO. 

I'm struggling to keep up tonight.

Seems to me - as a total outsider obviously - McKinlay's in post because he has such a strong  background in the SFA/SPFL and that's where he'll be focused. 

Just now, NANOJAMBO said:

I'm struggling to keep up tonight.

Seems to me - as a total outsider obviously - McKinlay's in post because he has such a strong  background in the SFA/SPFL and that's where he'll be focused. 

You posted his own words... "day to day side of things". 

It doesn't make any sense. 

Just now, iainmac said:

You posted his own words... "day to day side of things". 

It doesn't make any sense. 

Agreed.

As I said earlier, compare & contrast with Celtic CEO Lawwell talking about all things Lennon and then look at Hearts. Someone mentioned "control freak" , previously - I'll end on that for tonight. 

The silent CEO, getting paid a whack to hide in his fancy office and lounge in Tynie no doubt.  Dont care what industry it is, CEO's are the people who get paid the most to handle the hairy situations, Scottish Golf is like running the local Post office compared to running Hearts, there's no hiding here Andy.

Saint Jambo
7 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

3 minutes ago, iainmac said:

So both McKinlday and Neilson report to Budge. Who does Savage report to?

Based on the Daily Record article and the recent interview where Budge said she is writing both the two year business plan and the budget, it seems to me that in reality Budge is filling the roles of both Chair and CEO, while McKinlay acts as Chief Operating Officer.

What is now needed on the governance side is for FOH to complete the transfer of shares asap, Budge to be thanked for her service and removed from the Board, a new Chair to be appointed, and McKinlay to take on the full responsibilities of a CEO, including line management of the (new) manager and Savage.

Along aside that and as part of the transition, it would be good to see Wallace step down from his roles as Chair of FOH and FOH representative on the Club Board. The FOH Board have always been really keen on the idea that the transfer of shares would lead to no changes at the club with the primary aim being continuity, even at the expense of good governance. That was only a defensible position (although still to my mind the wrong position) if things were going really well at the club. Instead we the fans are taking ownership of a club that is a shamble, fighting our way out of the lower league, with an ageing and financially worthless squad, with no youngsters coming through from the Academy, a management structure that is not fit for purpose, and a weak financial position (albeit largely due to the pandemic). The transfer of shares needs to be used as the opportunity to make a fresh start with an overhaul of the Club and FOH boards.

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Agreed.

As I said earlier, compare & contrast with Celtic CEO Lawwell talking about all things Lennon and then look at Hearts. Someone mentioned "control freak" , previously - I'll end on that for tonight. 

The thing is that I don’t imagine Lawell is an expert in Football. 

Famous 1874

McKinley’s wife was and still is a ‘Central Services Director’ at the club. Therefore we know why he was appointed - jobs for Ann and her mates. 

Budge gives her brother’s company the new stand contract 

Budge let’s her nephew run the 1874 bar 

Budge refuses to sack Levein until a year too late

Budge appoints Neilson and has yet to sack him 

Budge appoints an unqualified CEO in Andrew McKinlay. 
Wouldn’t surprise me if the rest of the board and office staff are her pals too. You could see briefly in the BBC documentary on how unprofessional everything was, that was a complete embarrassment and an eye- opener to the fans of how much of a shambles it really is. 

Pure and utter corruption and the fans are being taken for mugs. Hit them where it hurts, financially. 

3 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

So both McKinlday and Neilson report to Budge. Who does Savage report to?

Based on the Daily Record article and the recent interview where Budge said she is writing both the two year business plan and the budget, it seems to me that in reality Budge is filling the roles of both Chair and CEO, while McKinlay acts as Chief Operating Officer.

What is now needed on the governance side is for FOH to complete the transfer of shares asap, Budge to be thanked for her service and removed from the Board, a new Chair to be appointed, and McKinlay to take on the full responsibilities of a CEO, including line management of the (new) manager and Savage.

Along aside that and as part of the transition, it would be good to see Wallace step down from his roles as Chair of FOH and FOH representative on the Club Board. The FOH Board have always been really keen on the idea that the transfer of shares would lead to no changes at the club with the primary aim being continuity, even at the expense of good governance. That was only a defensible position (although still to my mind the wrong position) if things were going really well at the club. Instead we the fans are taking ownership of a club that is a shamble, fighting our way out of the lower league, with an ageing and financially worthless squad, with no youngsters coming through from the Academy, a management structure that is not fit for purpose, and a weak financial position (albeit largely due to the pandemic). The transfer of shares needs to be used as the opportunity to make a fresh start with an overhaul of the Club and FOH boards.

100%

8 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Very much this.

He was COO in a previous role (SPFL ?). 

Edited by NANOJAMBO