Andrew McKinlay Hearts CEO (merged threads)

maroongoals

Saint Jambo
9 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

McKinley’s wife was and still is a ‘Central Services Director’ at the club. Therefore we know why he was appointed - jobs for Ann and her mates. 

Budge appoints an unqualified CEO in Andrew McKinlay. 

I didn't know his wife works for Hearts. No idea what Central Services Director does or how senior a role it is. I don't really disagree with the overall thrust of your post but I disagree that McKinlay is unqualified to be CEO. He is a former COO at the SFA and CEO at Scottish Golf. On paper he has a CV that looks roughly what I'd expect of a CEO of a Scottish Premiership football club. He is certainly more qualified than Budge was when she took on the role.

2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Very much this.

He was COO in a previous role (SPFL ?). 

SFA.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iainmac

• davemclaren

• Pasquale for King

• NANOJAMBO

Sub4TiddlerMurray
30 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

As a random aside, how long has our registered address been the offices of DLA Piper law firm, rather than Tynecastle? Is it normal for clubs to have registered address that isn't their ground?

Back on topic, from what I know, Andrew McKinlay had a very good reputation at both the SFA and Scottish Golf. My understanding is that his issues at golf were mainly to do with him wanting to change things and some clubs being resistant. I was pleased when he was appointed. Since then he seems to have disappeared.

I do think the suggestion Budge is a control freak seems likely. It seems at some point she decided she is qualified to take a pretty hands on decision taking role in relation to the 'football department'. In a recent interview she talked about how she is developing the two year business plan and that she needed to produce the budget. These are both activities I'd expect the CEO to lead on.

Calling AB a control freak is OTT. She is the Chair: the most senior position on the Board. Let's be honest, when we want information from the club, we want it from AB not McKinley. So it's a bit rich calling her a control freak.

As for how things work on a corporate level, davemclaren  fairly assumed that the CEO would not be on the Board, because that is an unusual thing to happen. That's because there is a conflict of interest in that, as a director, he is both employed by  the Board and one of his employer. But it does happen even in the corporate world.

Normally, the CEO would lead on producing a strategic plan, and that includes all the financial projections. The CEO will oversee all of the corporate employees and operations of the company such as finance, hospitality, retail, ticket sales, buildings, HR, etc.. Usually they will be front-facing and be a spokesperson for the club. In our case, however, AB still retains that role. I believe she does that for good reasons because she has an existing relationship with the fans and will soon be passing over ownership to FOH. 

At a football club, things are a little different to other corporate companies and the Manager is usually given considerable autonomy to decide on day to day footballing priorities and s/he would also report directly to the Board (as opposed to reporting to the CEO or SD). The SD would also have considerable autonomy to produce and manage the long term football strategic plan  and would oversee the non-first team football infrastructure. As with the manager and CEO, they would report to the Board. As the Chair, AB would be who they all report to directly but all the plans and investments would be signed off by the Board.

Football is a strange beast, however, and a lot of those reporting lines will vary from club to club, especially where there is a majority investor like we had under the enigmatic/eccentric Romanov.

5 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Calling AB a control freak is OTT. She is the Chair: the most senior position on the Board. Let's be honest, when we want information from the club, we want it from AB not McKinley. So it's a bit rich calling her a control freak.

As for how things work on a corporate level, davemclaren  fairly assumed that the CEO would not be on the Board, because that is an unusual thing to happen. That's because there is a conflict of interest in that, as a director, he is both employed by  the Board and one of his employer. But it does happen even in the corporate world.

Normally, the CEO would lead on producing a strategic plan, and that includes all the financial projections. The CEO will oversee all of the corporate employees and operations of the company such as finance, hospitality, retail, ticket sales, buildings, HR, etc.. Usually they will be front-facing and be a spokesperson for the club. In our case, however, AB still retains that role. I believe she does that for good reasons because she has an existing relationship with the fans and will soon be passing over ownership to FOH. 

At a football club, things are a little different to other corporate companies and the Manager is usually given considerable autonomy to decide on day to day footballing priorities and s/he would also report directly to the Board (as opposed to reporting to the CEO or SD). The SD would also have considerable autonomy to produce and manage the long term football strategic plan  and would oversee the non-first team football infrastructure. As with the manager and CEO, they would report to the Board. As the Chair, AB would be who they all report to directly but all the plans and investments would be signed off by the Board.

Football is a strange beast, however, and a lot of those reporting lines will vary from club to club, especially where there is a majority investor like we had under the enigmatic/eccentric Romanov.

None of this explains the clear separationn of roles in the press release or why AB is "hands on” in the ”football department”.

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, steve123 said:

I am hesitant to start a new thread and please merge if appropiate but where the fek is he !!

Who the **** is he, would anyone know him if he was standing next to you at a silent protest outside Tynecastle?

Sub4TiddlerMurray
27 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

McKinley’s wife was and still is a ‘Central Services Director’ at the club. Therefore we know why he was appointed - jobs for Ann and her mates. 

Budge gives her brother’s company the new stand contract 

Budge let’s her nephew run the 1874 bar 

Budge refuses to sack Levein until a year too late

Budge appoints Neilson and has yet to sack him 

Budge appoints an unqualified CEO in Andrew McKinlay. 
Wouldn’t surprise me if the rest of the board and office staff are her pals too. You could see briefly in the BBC documentary on how unprofessional everything was, that was a complete embarrassment and an eye- opener to the fans of how much of a shambles it really is. 

Pure and utter corruption and the fans are being taken for mugs. Hit them where it hurts, financially. 

Where on earth do you get all this from? I've worked at the club and I'v never heard of anything called a ‘Central Services Director’. Please explain what this is and if you are going to make outrageous claims, please supply the names. I'm pretty sure Graeme Pacitti still manages all of the hospitality at the club including 1874 Bar and I don't believe AB would make him employ her nephew. Provide real evidence or retract!

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Where on earth do you get all this from? I've worked at the club and I'v never heard of anything called a ‘Central Services Director’. Please explain what this is and if you are going to make outrageous claims, please supply the names. I'm pretty sure Graeme Pacitti still manages all of the hospitality at the club including 1874 Bar and I don't believe AB would make him employ her nephew. Provide real evidence or retract!

Hope this helps. 
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/its-not-going-to-help-hearts-in-the-long-term-if-i-fall-out-with-people-g9cf2nfbr

D9CBDC59-A145-4F01-9B04-14E9DA05F0BD.jpeg

C256CCB8-3D42-4DD7-A9E1-307354CDF14B.jpeg

Edited by Pasquale for King

Sub4TiddlerMurray
8 minutes ago, iainmac said:

None of this explains the clear separationn of roles in the press release or why AB is "hands on” in the ”football department”.

That's a fair point, It would seem from that that AB has retained the CEO strategic planning role, whereas all the operational day-to-day running of the business is with McKilay as COO.

Famous 1874
5 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Hi Ann. 

The information came from a Times Article. 

L. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Fair point, I concede that. But it still doesn't mean there's any corruption especially when the club are very open about it.

I didn’t say it did. Leaves it open to criticism though. 

4 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

That's a fair point, It would seem from that that AB has retained the CEO strategic planning role, whereas all the operational day-to-day running of the business is with McKilay as COO.

Only it doesn't seem to be.

He was nowhere to be seen during the ST / streaming fiasco that AB had to eventually sort after fans were up in arms for 3 weeks with a 67 page thread on here.

I have it on good authority to hat he wasn't worried as " not many people he ad asked for refunds".

Sub4TiddlerMurray
7 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

The information came from a Times Article. 

I wouldn't wipe my @rse with that Tory rag

Sub4TiddlerMurray
1 minute ago, iainmac said:

Only it doesn't seem to be.

He was nowhere to be seen during the ST / streaming fiasco that AB had to eventually sort after fans were up in arms for 3 weeks with a 67 page thread on here.

I have it on good authority to hat he wasn't worried as " not many people he ad asked for refunds".

Yep, he does seem to keep his head down

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

I wouldn't wipe my @rse with that Tory rag

Me either, I didn’t open the link.

2 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

He's not said anything about the worst result in our history either which must fall under his day to day remit rather than AB' s Strategic Planning brief.

Hence the conclusion that AB is a control freak because she fronted up both these situations.

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, iainmac said:

The bar manager (I thought it was well known) and now the commentary team.

Tell you what, when we get riled, we don't miss ANYBODY!

Commentary team? 

Pasquale for King
21 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Wouldn’t you if the wife worked in the same building?

Are either part of the football department?

It’s as clear as the tactics on the pitch 🙈

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Wouldn’t you if the wife worked in the same building?

Are either part of the football department?

It’s as clear as the tactics on the pitch 🙈

I hope the Mrs doesn't report to him!

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Aye, some "Thought Leader" had a go at @Laurie on Twitter for being negative from the 1st minute!

I thought the two of them were spot on and not just toeing the party line. Not sure how positive you can be when the big reaction to the clubs worst ever defeat is losing a goal in the first minute 🤷🏾‍♂️🤔?
Was he supposed to say Popescu used impeccable technique when he passed to the opposition 😆😂?!?!

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

So basically Budge cannot leave or half her family will lose their jobs...

Hahahahaha pretty much, how ****ing ridiculous and amateur.
Good business person, give me a ****ing break 🙈

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, iainmac said:

I hope the Mrs doesn't report to him!

Does anyone report to anyone 🤷🏾‍♂️?

SpruceBringsteen
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

The Foundation reports to Ann Budge for a belly rub and couple of biscrok at least once a week.

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Fair point.

Doesn't look like any Organisational Design with Spans & Layers to that I've ever come across.

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

The Foundation reports to Ann Budge for a belly rub and couple of biscrok at least once a week.

Where’s your evidence, I demand you provide it or retract it 😜

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Fair point.

Doesn't look like any Organisational Design with Spans & Layers to that I've ever come across.

Yet she rightly called Levein  disorganised 🙈

shaun.lawson

Bloody hell. Nepotism rules OK. 

Yet more evidence of her 'business genius'. 

Auldbenches
20 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Bloody hell. Nepotism rules OK. 

Yet more evidence of her 'business genius'. 

3 hours ago, Spellczech said:

So basically Budge cannot leave or half her family will lose their jobs...

It seems that this is what it's all about.  Her family and doing are doing well out of the fans money. 

Disgusting times at out club over the last few seasons.  

The pandemic is ghe only thing keeping these people here.  No way they would've survived this week if we were able to attend games.

No sacking today and she is just laughing and getting her friends more money.

Disgusting 

Auldbenches

Has Ann Budge ever met the Royston family who hail from Blackpool..?   Not at those levels of stripping the club but becoming as hated as them.  

colinmaroon
On 23/03/2021 at 21:58, davemclaren said:

He doesn’t have anything to do with the football side. 

Oops Dave.

Kind of spoiled it for the list of "strangers" on this thread.

Geoff Kilpatrick
19 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Has Ann Budge ever met the Royston family who hail from Blackpool..?   Not at those levels of stripping the club but becoming as hated as them.  

Oyston to be pedantic

Auldbenches
Just now, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Oyston to be pedantic

Early doors here Geoff.  Could've looked it up but they aren't worth the effort. 

6 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Interesting. Has the club always had a Central Services Director, or is this a more recently created post? Presumably she was found to be the best candidate for the post.

Given Budge’s happy knack of finding lucrative work for her family, anyone looking in from the outside might just catch a whiff of nepotism at this club.

Wonder if FoH has a view on this. (Does FoH have a view on anything?)

9 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

Where do I sign up to become a Budge family member?

Hey! Get in the queue 😁

Geoff Kilpatrick
11 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

:laugh:

Cut The Crap
Just now, jamboozy said:

Hey! Get in the queue 😁

On the negative side, I have no skills that could benefit the club in any way. Then again ... 🤔

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, Cut The Crap said:

On the negative side, I have no skills that could benefit the club in any way. Then again ... 🤔

Doesn't seem to be an issue for backup left backs.

1 minute ago, Cut The Crap said:

Yes, it seems to be high on the list of attributes that you have, erm, no attributes.

1 hour ago, Cut The Crap said:

Its like the Trump machine. Jobs for the boys and girls. Build a stand ? Sure I know someone.....

would be hilarious if it wasn’t so bloody sad. 

Has he ever said anything to anyone other than the feature on the club website just as he joined the club?

Certainly not in the forefront of the club.

Finlay James

Folk are clutching at straws on this thread.  Not one person has yet to show evidence that they know how things work behind the scenes and the personal attacks on Budge in particular are just awful.  

The buck stops with Neilson.  He prepares and picks the team and he's doing an awful job.  If he really gave a shit, he would resign this morning.

1 hour ago, leginten said:

Interesting. Has the club always had a Central Services Director, or is this a more recently created post? Presumably she was found to be the best candidate for the post.

Given Budge’s happy knack of finding lucrative work for her family, anyone looking in from the outside might just catch a whiff of nepotism at this club.

Wonder if FoH has a view on this. (Does FoH have a view on anything?)

I am not defending Budge on this but I would say that it seems to be common place especially in the football world that Managers/Coaches when they take up a new position tend to want to bring in their previous colleagues.

This is probably partly due to the fact they know and trust them but also it means their is already a known relationship where they know what is expected which can save a fair bit of time having to get any new staff up to speed with showing them the ropes etc.

I suppose to an extent something similar can be said for the Budge appointments.  She seems to favour people she trusts and has worked with in her previous business ventures.

That doesn't mean to say that they are the best for the jobs of course and she has history in choosing the wrongs ones so far at Hearts.

Regarding FOH she has them all neatly in her back pocket so that they do as they are told.

shaun.lawson
4 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Folk are clutching at straws on this thread.  Not one person has yet to show evidence that they know how things work behind the scenes and the personal attacks on Budge in particular are just awful.  

The buck stops with Neilson.  He prepares and picks the team and he's doing an awful job.  If he really gave a shit, he would resign this morning.

Couldn't agree more about personal attacks.

However, after fully 5 years of constant, mindnumbing shite on the pitch, and utterly laughable recruitment and decisions off it, no, the buck does not *only* stop with Neilson.

When any football club - when any sporting organisation - is this bad for this long, it all starts at the very top. With the ownership. They call the shots. Everything else is just a symptom of their incompetence. 

Why haven’t the press looked into and published a full critique of Anne Budges Reign and her plans for the future. 
The finances, £11.7m to pay a £3.5m loan. still no fan ownership or any control. 

The governance at board level and day to day running of the club 

The future trustee / Fan ownership model (what even is this) FOH? How will the fans control what they eventually own
The overspend on the (not finished) stand 

The overspend on non first team football. 
The football freak show, managers - player turnover - quality of signings and fitness levels. Long term deals and then failure to insert relegation clauses.  
Relegation after the terminal decline and failed legal case, costing millions 
The academy neither creating a viable first team squad (quality or fitness) or quality young players. 
To me this amounts to Fraud or Corporate negligence... such are the sums of money and failure levels at the club. 
Are the press scared ? Why is she given a free ride.