Official Neilson Out Thread ( merged )

best in the land

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

That’s exactly how it should be approached, and how every competent manager in the country would approach it.

You don’t win football matches against superior opposition by going balls out from the first minute to the last. You run the very real risk of being embarrassed.

👍

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• Bongo 1874

• GinRummy

1 minute ago, gowestjambo said:

Reality is different for us all. I saw a glorious opportunity wasted because we lacked belief to firstly go on and win the game on two occasions, and the subsequently watch 2 players who lacked belief to score the vital penalties. We take out of it what we perceive.

Merry Christmas to you also.

At least the two players put their hands up to take the pens. Have to ask why others didn’t, particularly Halkett. 

2 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

I hope he stays for a long time! I'm gutted tonight but i am more gutted for Robbie neilson, He has taken us in a short space of time (less than 6 months)to the brink of winning a national cup final whilst we are in the championship against a side who have won every single trophy for the last 4 years!

Just think about that for a minute ? If that isn't progress on last season then i don't know what is? I just wish the majority of the fans would get behind him, He is the man to take us forward Imo and he will deliver when  given enough time.

Exactly, people need to have a think about it. 

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

At least the two players put their hands up to take the pens. Have to ask why others didn’t, particularly Halkett. 

Unfortunately when push came to shove, they failed to grasp the glorious opportunity presented to them. I was really disappointed with Kingsley who can strike a good ball, but in all the games I have watched I have never seen Wighton as a great striker of a Football. It doesnt matter who out the team take the penalties. Naismith led by example of what was required. Hitting the ball at the easiest height for a Keeper to save is criminal.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Indeed, I think he maybe took them for Livi but not sure. Or Ginnelly for that matter. If Frear wasn’t going to take one maybe Roberts should’ve came on, he seems confident. All ifs and buts. 

SectionDJambo

I think that Robbie, and his coaches, showed that the can change things within a game to improve the performance and tactics.

Hopefully, they’ll have better players to work with once the broom of a new sporting director has swept in.

I am more optimistic about our future now than I was yesterday.

1 minute ago, gowestjambo said:

Unfortunately when push came to shove, they failed to grasp the glorious opportunity presented to them. I was really disappointed with Kingsley who can strike a good ball, but in all the games I have watched I have never seen Wighton as a great striker of a Football. It doesnt matter who out the team take the penalties. Naismith led by example of what was required. Hitting the ball at the easiest height for a Keeper to save is criminal.

Scored his last pen for us. Agree re hitting ones. Both of them should just have stuck their boots through it. Anything above waist height was going in because the keeper had gone low on the previous three. Easy to say that though with hindsight and without having to take a pen in a shootout at Hampden. 

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Indeed, I think he maybe took them for Livi but not sure. Or Ginnelly for that matter. If Frear wasn’t going to take one maybe Roberts should’ve came on, he seems confident. All ifs and buts. 

He was regular pen taker at Livi

Gorgie Boot boy
9 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

That’s one view and possibly accurate however maybe Celtic just forced us  on to the back foot?  To be fair a crazy handball was all that stopped us winning the game in 90 mins. That’s how close the tactics were to being successful. That’s two cup finals in a row that Christophe’s  mistakes have cost us dearly. 

The tramps can claim this was the game of their lifes, that in itself tells the whole story.

We played a massive part in today's game, took them to the edge a few times.

None of their players or manager fans will tell you that was anything else bu the toughest game any of them have and maybe will play in.

We take the positives from playing to the end and we have the respect of some who saw us in a bad light, or used us to their advantage.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Some will never get over getting beat by Hibs 5 years ago in a replay. Ignoring the fact we put them out in the semi this year.

Sorry one doesn’t extinguish the other, as good as it was. They might’ve beat them today though 🙈. We came about as close as you can today, I see nothing to fear and we start the next attempt soon. Neilson has definitely got us going in the right direction, although today’s first half wasn’t great. 

3 hours ago, ramrod said:

Utter pish

I see it differently, Celtic weren't that good, phenomenal are you on drugs ? we let them have the time on the ball to get their confidence up, if we played the whole game like we had to in second half we would have won, you would think Robbie would have learned this by now but obviously not, play defensive v the big teams and hope for the best ...

What bit mate ?

Celtic were indeed phenomenal

We didn't give them time on ball in first half

If we had played as well first half as we did second half it would have been different

Robbie changed tactics second half, set up differently to how he played against QOS (wee team)

not really sure what part was utter pish, crack on enlighten me ?

23 minutes ago, Marriott said:

I see it differently, Celtic weren't that good, phenomenal are you on drugs ? we let them have the time on the ball to get their confidence up, if we played the whole game like we had to in second half we would have won, you would think Robbie would have learned this by now but obviously not, play defensive v the big teams and hope for the best ...

What bit mate ?

Celtic were indeed phenomenal

We didn't give them time on ball in first half

If we had played as well first half as we did second half it would have been different

Robbie changed tactics second half, set up differently to how he played against QOS (wee team)

not really sure what part was utter pish, crack on enlighten me ?

He didn’t. He stuck with 5-3-2.  Just changed the personnel after 55 minutes.  Just check out his post match comments.  Set-up was same throughout the game 

I can never understand why players who are not deemed fit enough to start (Ginnelly and Hareing) are deemed fit enough to come on when we're behind. In Ginnelly's case he's ended up playing for longer than Walker so surely he could and should have started. As for Hareing his style is not to bomb about but to do the simple things well and keep the ball moving if not starting he should have come on a bit sooner imho. There again maybe RN judged the substitutions (nearly) perfectly and he almost pulled it off. Either way I think RN deserves credit for how he took us within two pens of a cup from what looked an impossible ht position.

I saw a team today with belief and fight, a team that refused to give up.  It was night and day compared to the team that was sitting bottom of the league when the premiership was stopped prematurely last season.  In a short time the new management team has turned a dejected squad into a team willing to fight for each other, a team that I have no doubt will win the championship this season.

The rebuilding of the squad is not complete, but we’ve shown already in the short season so far, that despite being demoted to the championship, we are still capable of winning major honours.

The behaviour of certain Celtic players again left a sour taste, but should also give us more motivation to succeed.  Let’s pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down and move forward.   There have been many changes at the club in the last few months.  A new management team, a new CEO, a new sporting director, as well as several new signings.  With the continued financial support of our incredible support and benefactors we are in a great position to build from here.

The football landscape will look very different after this Pandemic has passed, I believe we are one of the few clubs who will come out of it stronger.  Let’s get behind Neilson and the coaching team and let’s continue to build a club and team than can compete and even dominate at the top of Scottish football.  There’s no reason why this can’t happen.

Neilson has again shown he can change a game for the better, like he done in the Semi Final. Next is for him to believe in his group of players and team are as good as anything in the country and play positively from the start.    The tactic today from the beginning should have been play our fastest players with Boyce in the middle and draw as many fouls as possible to flood their box.  We finally got it right, I’m gutted that if we understood that from the start the cup would be in Gorgie right now. 

4 hours ago, jambo mark said:

But this is what you don’t get? The change at half time was the pre game plan ... it wasn’t reactionary!

What pace do we have? Ginnelly? He couldn’t last 90 minutes and if you think he can only managed 30-45 mins then you put him on when defenders have tired legs. Not when they are fresh. What other pace do we have? Robert’s? Frear?

Haring also - not fit. Do we play him and lose him for another 15 months to win 1 game? Risk not having him for the rest of the season and potentially promotion?

Halliday I’ll agree was poor, Irving improved second half. Lee, for me, can be too much of a passenger when you don’t have the ball. My opinion. You can’t play Celtic with 10 men.

I kind of agree with this. If Neilson had everyone fit and maybe slightly better or different personnel would he have started the game differently? I think so and I certainly hope so. 

Today again showed the problems with our squad and the continued horrendous luck with injuries. To think we went into another cup final without Souttar, Haring and Ginnelly not able to start and then Lost Boyce who was playing superbly. They are four of our best five outfield players arguably. 

We still really lack legs in the team particularly in midfield and Halliday was not a signing we needed. We continue to struggle with Walker and how to get the best out of him. I have no idea what he was was being asked to do today. 

I don’t know what to make of Neilson today if I was honest, but will give him a pass. The formation and the tinkering were bewildering. I don’t think I have ever seen us play a 5-3-2, let alone so deep. Did Neilson overthink it? But we still could of and should have won it. 

alwaysthereinspirit

I’ll put my hand up and admit I was wrong after the first half. I thought Robbie got it all wrong. He didn’t. The same players who started the second half showed they were up for it. Whatever was said at half time to them worked. Can’t fault them for the second half and extra time. Losing on penalties though has been hard to take.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Couple of things about the first half. 

Our midfield imho is still light. 

They had rings ran round them by still fairly high quality players. 

This is amplified by the fact Celtic players are playing at a greater pace and intensity for months, AC Milan the other day for example. Even badly, huge advantage to playing Morton and QoS. One of the reasons I was dead against the continuation of this Cup.

2nd half the players made the adjustment, the tactics didn't really change. 

Neilson will do well for Hearts, I don't understand why there are so many looking for problems, bizarre really considering his record 

4 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Couple of things about the first half. 

Our midfield imho is still light. 

They had rings ran round them by still fairly high quality players. 

This is amplified by the fact Celtic players are playing at a greater pace and intensity for months, AC Milan the other day for example. Even badly, huge advantage to playing Morton and QoS. One of the reasons I was dead against the continuation of this Cup.

2nd half the players made the adjustment, the tactics didn't really change. 

Neilson will do well for Hearts, I don't understand why there are so many looking for problems, bizarre really considering his record 

First half was extremely poor. Never laid a glove on them. 2nd half and extra time, we were just as good as them - which in reality is all we can ask for. 

I hope he builds on this as today showed how we can play. We also showed a determination and fight that we haven't done for a few years. 

That hurt today but we'll get our turn again. 

fabienleclerq

First half we were outplayed by a better team with several million pound players. If I was to criticise the tactics we looked short in midfield. 

White gave it away too much which didn't help. Celtic pressed the shit out of us first half though and made it very difficult. 

Second half we just went for it their bottle went a bit and possibly they tired from the first half pressing. 

Neilsons got things right overall and was two kicks away from a big upset against a team who are in the habit of winning and blow us out the water budget wise. 

Robbie will do for me.

Not very often we have come back like that against that mob in the top division far less second tier.

Gives us something to build on and Robbie is the man to lead us.

I think the majority have some doubts about Robbie but I think he is the best bet for us. New guy just coming in as DoF who hopefully will improve the recruitment and I sense good times are just round the corner for us. 

Today will take a while to get over though. 

1 hour ago, Getintaethem said:

I saw a team today with belief and fight, a team that refused to give up.  It was night and day compared to the team that was sitting bottom of the league when the premiership was stopped prematurely last season.  In a short time the new management team has turned a dejected squad into a team willing to fight for each other, a team that I have no doubt will win the championship this season.

The rebuilding of the squad is not complete, but we’ve shown already in the short season so far, that despite being demoted to the championship, we are still capable of winning major honours.

The behaviour of certain Celtic players again left a sour taste, but should also give us more motivation to succeed.  Let’s pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down and move forward.   There have been many changes at the club in the last few months.  A new management team, a new CEO, a new sporting director, as well as several new signings.  With the continued financial support of our incredible support and benefactors we are in a great position to build from here.

The football landscape will look very different after this Pandemic has passed, I believe we are one of the few clubs who will come out of it stronger.  Let’s get behind Neilson and the coaching team and let’s continue to build a club and team than can compete and even dominate at the top of Scottish football.  There’s no reason why this can’t happen.

I'm not at all sure whether RN is the right guy to take us where we (realistically) want to be in the longer term, but there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that had he been our manager last season, we'd have been absolutely nowhere near the bottom of the Premiership when the season stopped. 

Jambo in Bathgate

We have played 2 SPL league teams since October and have won one and drawn the other in extra time. To win a penalty shot out it can be a lottery and unfortunately today we were on the wrong end.
Playing in the Championship does not really prepare players to play with the intensity that a team like Celtic. They have also played a great many more games than us. We unfortunately were the architects of our own downfall in the first half. We gifted them two free hits. One from a headed clearance out of the box which landed at the feet of Christie with acres of space. The other from a handball that was directly headed onto Berra’s hand.

However, going two down to Celtic in the past would have opened the floodgates. Today we showed a determination to get back in the game, something we have not seen for a while. Robbie and his coaches got the tactics right today. There was no way that Ginnelly could have played the full match having only come back from injury last week.  
We will win the Championship and resume our place in the SPL and put two fingers up to the team that we pass on the way up! I believe if Robbie had not left us we would have been better off, having not gone through a series of failed experiments which cost us our place in the SPL. The best teams try to keep successful managers. Remembering that success in Scotland, is finishing in the top four and winning a cup due to the total imbalance of the game here. 

His tactics first half were too passive but he changed things and has clearly instilled some belief because our arses would have caved him prior to him coming here. Credit where credits due. 

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Maybe the other team had something to do with how the first half played out? 

A point often forgotten on here. 

Too many say press high and attack, what if the other team does that as well?

Celtic swept Aberdeen away in the sf in 25 minutes, Aberdeen never recovered, ffs they went 2-0 up in Milan a few weeks ago, milan had the quality to fight back and we win. 

I also think if you're a celtic fan you put a large part of the blame on eduardo for it ending up so close , he missed 3 sitters while celtic were ahead. It could have been messy if he could score from 6 yards. 

Boyce going off wasn't great for us either, he offers so much, but Ginnelly was effective, unfortunately he missed that late chance. 

Really gutting,if you score after the other team misses a pk you're quids in. 

3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

That’s exactly how it should be approached, and how every competent manager in the country would approach it.

You don’t win football matches against superior opposition by going balls out from the first minute to the last. You run the very real risk of being embarrassed.

You win football matches by showing you can compete in the game the 1st half wasn't the standard required, the second half and extra time was, if we had scored 1st it might of been a very different cup final, but we didn't that's fact. 

When we took the game to Rangers at Tynecastle what happened, you have to show the old firm, that your up for the fight and to have a real go at them.

You can't allow there players to have time and space to dictate, you give them no breathing space.

This was all done in the second half,why do you think we got back into the game? You have to believe in order to get a result. 

I'm sick of this mentality but they have a bigger budget, they have this they have that. 

The standard should be anytime they come to Tynecastle, we go out to **** them. 

When we go to there's they make it, into a fortress, so intimidating at times at both parkhead and Ibrox. 

That must be the attitude of the players at the club, 3 games that are must wins at Tynecastle every season, Celtic, Rangers, Hibs and throw Aberdeen into that too just to be Greedy. 

Today showed that when we put a postive attitude towards the game, we can achieve, heck i don't want Robbie as manager. 

But you have to praise him for that second half performance. 

Now i ask can we do that on a more consistent basis, let's take this club to the next level, let's play on the front foot at home and away attack teams press them, let's do the same as the old firm, maintain possession in games, 

Become best of the rest, because i believe we can do it. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, fabienleclerq said:

First half we were outplayed by a better team with several million pound players. If I was to criticise the tactics we looked short in midfield. 

White gave it away too much which didn't help. Celtic pressed the shit out of us first half though and made it very difficult. 

Second half we just went for it their bottle went a bit and possibly they tired from the first half pressing. 

Neilsons got things right overall and was two kicks away from a big upset against a team who are in the habit of winning and blow us out the water budget wise. 

I agree, walker and Irving were missing first half. Halliday was poor and our midfield was over ran and we dropped deeper. 

The penalty is a shite one, as you say hits his hands on the way down from a header hit at him. 

The second half changed as we scored early, the confidence from them and nerves left them for about 20 minutes, never seen a celtic team change so dramatically after conceding, that gave us belief and we taken that on. 

Shame we never got to the end and Finnished them off. 

3 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

I hope he stays for a long time! I'm gutted tonight but i am more gutted for Robbie neilson, He has taken us in a short space of time (less than 6 months)to the brink of winning a national cup final whilst we are in the championship against a side who have won every single trophy for the last 4 years!

Just think about that for a minute ? If that isn't progress on last season then i don't know what is? I just wish the majority of the fans would get behind him, He is the man to take us forward Imo and he will deliver when  given enough time.

He won one game in the Scottish Cup. Probably best to steady yourself with that one.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

You win football matches by showing you can compete in the game the 1st half wasn't the standard required, the second half and extra time was, if we had scored 1st it might of been a very different cup final, but we didn't that's fact. 

When we took the game to Rangers at Tynecastle what happened, you have to show the old firm, that your up for the fight and to have a real go at them.

You can't allow there players to have time and space to dictate, you give them no breathing space.

This was all done in the second half,why do you think we got back into the game? You have to believe in order to get a result. 

I'm sick of this mentality but they have a bigger budget, they have this they have that. 

The standard should be anytime they come to Tynecastle, we go out to **** them. 

When we go to there's they make it, into a fortress, so intimidating at times at both parkhead and Ibrox. 

That must be the attitude of the players at the club, 3 games that are must wins at Tynecastle every season, Celtic, Rangers, Hibs and throw Aberdeen into that too just to be Greedy. 

Today showed that when we put a postive attitude towards the game, we can achieve, heck i don't want Robbie as manager. 

But you have to praise him for that second half performance. 

Now i ask can we do that on a more consistent basis, let's take this club to the next level, let's play on the front foot at home and away attack teams press them, let's do the same as the old firm, maintain possession in games, 

Become best of the rest, because i believe we can do it. 

Who do you want as manager then, you've not said? 

🙄

1 hour ago, Getintaethem said:

Just now, hisnameis said:

Oops, meant to say well said sir. I think you are spot on. We have to see the bigger Picture of how far we have come in very short space of time. I think Robbie could be one the greatest assets at the club just now. The signs are a lot more positive than they have for some time.

6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Who do you want as manager then, you've not said? 

🙄

Regardless who i want as manager, that's irrelevant I'll back Robbie if he can get the team playing in that manner on a regular basis. 

That's the way we should play attacking, high press, if the players can't shape up, then gtf out the club. 

Bye Berra, bye White, bye Lee 👋bye Wighton 👏

Bar Rangers and Celtic tell me why we shouldn't attack every other team from the first whistle? And guess what happened when we attacked and pressed both Rangers and Celtic at Tynecastle. 

This is the way we play bringing through youth players that have been taught, from academy level how to attack how to press, how to defend in numbers etc. 

This has to be implemented into the club, and if it is, call me deluded but i genuinely think we could give Rangers and Celtic a serious challenge. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Regardless who i want as manager, that's irrelevant I'll back Robbie if he can get the team playing in that manner on a regular basis. 

That's the way we should play attacking, high press, if the players can't shape up, then gtf out the club. 

Bar Rangers and Celtic tell me why we shouldn't attack every other team from the first whistle? And guess what happened when we attacked and pressed both Rangers and Celtic at Tynecastle. 

This is the way we play bringing through youth players that have been taught, from academy level how to attack how to press, how to defend in numbers etc. 

This has to be implemented into the club, and if it is, call me deluded but i genuinely think we could give Rangers and Celtic a serious challenge. 

Spot on. 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

Dunno why every manager just doesn't do that with thier team? 

The pressing game has several weaknesses, the most obvious  being v a team that sits in and plays diagnols and for second balls. 

Pressing works v teams that pass. 

Pressing is also not a 90 minute tactic, you need to score goals and get ahead. 

It's not that simple or everyone would just do it. 

lost in space

Probably every fan who saw Frear and Roberts in the starting 11 said - "Oh no".

These players are never going to be good enough - even in Championship.

Can Robbie Neilson NOT see this?????

As soon as these 2 left we started to look like we wanted to win.

Neilson does deserve some credit for taking them off but you have to win the battle - and Frear\Roberts are not going to battle.

FFS - give Henderson and Moore a chance.

best in the land
6 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Neilson does deserve some credit for taking them off but you have to win the battle - and Frear\Roberts are not going to battle.

Frear and Roberts are a waste of wages and need dumped and replaced, don't know what neilson was thinking signing either. 

Defence also needs sorted out in January losing too many poor goals. 

Think we need a ch, 2 wingers and a striker. 

1 hour ago, lost in space said:

Tbf to Robbie, Henderson and Moore are horrendous as well 

1 hour ago, best in the land said:

Frear and Roberts are a waste of wages and need dumped and replaced, don't know what neilson was thinking signing either. 

No chance we’ll get a centre half imo. We’ve got three and Smith can play there plus we have other players who can play in a back 3. Not a hope. 

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

No chance we’ll get a centre half imo. We’ve got three and Smith can play there plus we have other players who can play in a back 3. Not a hope. 

Haring as well. 

RN said pre match that he was fully utilising the squad with 3 games in 8 days!

Presumably he thought, even including these 2, he would have enough to beat Ayr. He was proved right eventually although it was not plain sailing.

If there's any criticism of RN, it's that he should not have signed them in the first place but many said we shouldn't have signed Wighton either and but for him today......

1 hour ago, best in the land said:

22 goals in 5 home games. Waste of money to be bringing in a striker and multiple wingers. One winger in January would see us through the league campaign. The whole season must be in doubt with the rapid rise in cases so bringing in lots of new players would be negligent.

Squad rotation remains "rocket science" to those who have never coached (at ANY level). 

Robbie will have looked to get his best team ready for Dens Park

I think the biggest disappointment from today was that for 10 minutes you could see the difference in quality between the two teams.

Why can we not do what Jefferies team did in '96 and blow teams away in the first 20 minutes meaning we could control the rest of the game with no issues.. This is especially true this season when there is such a gap between the quality of the teams we're facing.

Neilson deserves some praise but also some stick for actually signing these two useless, chicken hearted imposters. 

10 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

22 goals in 5 home games. Waste of money to be bringing in a striker and multiple wingers. One winger in January would see us through the league campaign. The whole season must be in doubt with the rapid rise in cases so bringing in lots of new players would be negligent.

We would get away with it but Neilson seems pretty intent in bringing in another winger and striker in this upcoming window. 

I agree, we don't really need anyone else for the championship, but at the same time, we've got to build for next season and there's a few players that need shown the door and replaced. I don't think Neilson get's the best out of what we have mind you. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Official Neilson Out Thread ( merged )