• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• sadj

• Bazzas right boot

• neilnunb

5 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

The emphasis has to be on attacking rather than trying to play for a result by sitting in. I still remember when we went up there for our first away game last time we were in the Championship. We went for the latter approach then and by all accounts it was players who convinced the manager to change the style to attacking in the 2nd half and it worked a treat.

Think we wll win this either 2-1 or 2-0. We then have Dunfermline at Tynecastle on 12 January, and if we can win both of those games that should be just about enough of a springboard to get us straight back up again.

I hope you're right on all counts.  The Nelms business really should play out in our favour and we should be up and at them from the outset.

Really looking forward to it.

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I wonder if Naisy playing farther back all the time is his idea and not from managers. It seems obvious to play him up front yet he’s mostly been played deeper by 3? different managers.  

Must be, putting Naismith up top in place of Boyce is obvious and Wighton isn't as good up top himself as he is playing of someone up fornt.

Also, Walker is far better in the middle than out wide.

Edited by Smith's right boot

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Lfhearts said:

Take a draw, we are shite away from home as too cautious and he ain't changing it is he.

The problem is that other teams at home are bit better and they try and stop us beating them and even try to beat us.

I have one message to these other teams that try to stop us and try to beat us.

See the source image

Edited by Smith's right boot

3 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

The emphasis has to be on attacking rather than trying to play for a result by sitting in. I still remember when we went up there for our first away game last time we were in the Championship. We went for the latter approach then and by all accounts it was players who convinced the manager to change the style to attacking in the 2nd half and it worked a treat.

Bang on! Hope Robbie learns from that on Saturday.

Go head to head with them and we win this game - play it tight and.....

Guest ToqueJambo
5 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Think we wll win this either 2-1 or 2-0. We then have Dunfermline at Tynecastle on 12 January, and if we can win both of those games that should be just about enough of a springboard to get us straight back up again.

Your memory is playing tricks on you. Dundee were in the Premiership when we were last in the Champ. We played them in the Prem the next season and Robbie won both away games. We actually did better away against Dundee than at home that season. Robbie could then and can be cautious away (tries to dominate possession against the likes of Dundee rather than sit in) but it gets him results. The 2-1 away win at Dundee that season was the second win in a 5 game win streak at the start of 15/16 that was only ended by a ridiculous reffing decision away against Hamilton.

Edited by ToqueJambo

portobellojambo1
18 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Your memory is playing tricks on you. Dundee were in the Premiership when we were last in the Champ. We played them in the Prem the next season and Robbie won both away games. We actually did better away against Dundee than at home that season. Robbie could then and can be cautious away (tries to dominate possession against the likes of Dundee rather than sit in) but it gets him results. The 2-1 away win at Dundee that season was the second win in a 5 game win streak at the start of 15/16 that was only ended by a ridiculous reffing decision away against Hamilton.

You are correct and I apologise. It was the game after we'd played St Johnstone, in the opener after getting back up, at Tynecastle, a 4-3 win. And although we conceded 3 goals we did win, and it kind of gave me thoughts on how we would approach that season, until we took to the field against Dundee the next week, and then it became more difficult to predict how we would approach games. I'll put it down to age, and rapidly approaching my 65th birthday, i.e. getting the seasons mixed up.

Guest ToqueJambo
18 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

You are correct and I apologise. It was the game after we'd played St Johnstone, in the opener after getting back up, at Tynecastle, a 4-3 win. And although we conceded 3 goals we did win, and it kind of gave me thoughts on how we would approach that season, until we took to the field against Dundee the next week, and then it became more difficult to predict how we would approach games. I'll put it down to age, and rapidly approaching my 65th birthday, i.e. getting the seasons mixed up.

I do think Neilson was heavily influenced by Levein's belief that trying to win all your home games and at least not lose your away games would see you right most seasons. I think Neilson is a bit more of an attack minded manager now, and he's a lot more experienced now too, but if key attacking players are missing, he will opt for safety first. For example, between Sow leaving and Bjorn Johnson getting fit then hitting form we played quite within ourselves as we didn't have much cutting edge up front (Sammon, Watt, Juanma and Dauda didn't fill Sow's shoes). When we've had strikers on form, Neilson does try to attack. He seemed to do that at Utd as well after signing Shankland.

Edited by ToqueJambo

FarmerTweedy
On 30/12/2020 at 21:02, Greedy Jambo said:

You don't have to remind ME mate. 

We've now got a new manager and the away games are still exactly the same, PISH. 

Even the home advantage is pish now, there's nae fans!

Pish away from home and no home advantage yet five points clear with a game in hand having only played nine games? 

Aye, ok then. You were obviously still smarting from Ross County's win when you posted that! 

7 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Is the 2-1 win at Dens the game where Robbie played Ozturk in midfield in the first half to mark what he saw as one of their danger men?

The result was a shambles in the first half that thankfully was changed to a more conventional attacking line up in the second.

3 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Is the 2-1 win at Dens the game where Robbie played Ozturk in midfield in the first half to mark what he saw as one of their danger men?

The result was a shambles in the first half that thankfully was changed to a more conventional attacking line up in the second.

Yep, think it was Greg Stewart. Dundee were a decent side then tbf but we should never set up to stop another team, apart from maybe the Old Firm away. 

portobellojambo1
1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

Yes, in the week prior to the game there was a lot of mention of a Dundee player, whose name escapes me now, and it turned out that on the day he didn't actually play. I had heard at the time that the player who was most vocal in the dressing room at HT was Morgaro Gomis, and his intervention in changing the way we played wasn't appreciated by the now departed DoF, hence why he fell out of favour not long after.

1 hour ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Yes, in the week prior to the game there was a lot of mention of a Dundee player, whose name escapes me now, and it turned out that on the day he didn't actually play. I had heard at the time that the player who was most vocal in the dressing room at HT was Morgaro Gomis, and his intervention in changing the way we played wasn't appreciated by the now departed DoF, hence why he fell out of favour not long after.

I remember that game, Hemings scored early and we could have been 3 down early on. Changed our style second half and a Juanma double won it. My main memory is that we were pressing high up the park in the second half and it actually meant Dundee couldn’t even put us under any pressure even in the final knockings. I usually can barely watch stoppage time where we are clinging to a one goal lead but that game was strangely relaxing

John Findlay

It's very simple to me.

We go into the game at Dens Park with the same attitude that we went into the first game of the season at Tynecastle.

They will have revenge on their minds for the hiding they took.

We should have the mindset of you are getting the same again.

2 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Set himself up for a bout of Levein Flu

This will be a game that Robbie will have marked down as ‘don’t lose’  we’ll spend most of the game keeping aimless possession. We’ll have an isolated 1 up front and we’ll be cautious in midfield and defence. 

This has got 0-0 written all over it and I think RN will think that’s a decent result.

Hearts face an anxious wait to learn if striker Liam Boyce is available to face Dundee on Saturday, but defenders Stephen Kingsley, Aidy White and Christophe Berra should be fit.

By Barry Anderson

😀 

Should be enough to get a 2-0 or a 1-0

2 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Hearts face an anxious wait to learn if striker Liam Boyce is available to face Dundee on Saturday, but defenders Stephen Kingsley, Aidy White and Christophe Berra should be fit.

By Barry Anderson

😀

Sounds like Boyce is close 

21 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

McJakey playing mind games!

Protecting himself by stating our budget is the biggest in the league by 'a mile'. True, hope we show it tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

By Barry Anderson

😀

Huge news about Kingsley! As able a deputy as Halliday was against Arbroath, Kingsley was sorely missed. He actually has the ability to regularly get to the bye line. Even having White back will be a bonus, I would start him ahead of Walker, Frear and Roberts.

18 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

This will be a game that Robbie will have marked down as ‘don’t lose’  we’ll spend most of the game keeping aimless possession. We’ll have an isolated 1 up front and we’ll be cautious in midfield and defence. 

This has got 0-0 written all over it and I think RN will think that’s a decent result.

Might well be. I wonder when a team starts to question the coach? Look around and think, nah, this is way off how we should be playing given our outstanding quality. Maybe the players also see a work in progress.

Ex member of the SaS
23 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

This Levein attitude of playing not to lose was a failure. Get in their faces and attack their defenders when they have the ball, unsettle them from KO. Go for the jugular and don't let up. Stop them playing and the game is in the bag.

Robbie won't go two up front but it's something we should be trying.

9 minutes ago, Goodfella said:

Protecting himself by stating our budget is the biggest in the league by 'a mile'. True, hope we show it tomorrow.

Huge news about Kingsley! As able a deputy as Halliday was against Arbroath, Kingsley was sorely missed. He actually has the ability to regularly get to the bye line. Even having White back will be a bonus, I would start him ahead of Walker, Frear and Roberts.

I’d definitely start White to play in front of Kingsley. The two of them showed signs they have a good understanding together. 

29 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

You won’t mind if I bookmark this one?

Harry Potter
13 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

The problem is that other teams at home are bit better and they try and stop us beating them and even try to beat us.

I have one message to these other teams that try to stop us and try to beat us.

See the source image

Try to beat us, the cheek of them, play 2 up front and attack them

upgotheheads

Weather forecast indicating possible snow showers tomorrow, so fingers crossed the game goes on, especially with Charlie Adam injured.  

32 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

A Hibs mind though.

👍😂

29 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

My concern too Jimmy. I would love Robbie to go against his basic instincts and come out all guns blazing!

1 minute ago, Vlad Magic said:

You won’t mind if I bookmark this one?

Not at all. It’s merely a prediction. If we win well I’ll be delighted and you’ll get to throw it in my face. Win-win really

34 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Otherwise take a point now.

53 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Are you always such a moanin face? The proverbial who needs enemies when we have so called fans like you springs to mind 

These clowns think they can go toe to toe with us, they can't. They will attack, we will find space to exploit and give them a hiding. We will win 5 - 1 however any win will do. Just hope we set up to win, not merely to avoid defeat!

1 hour ago, Baxfee said:

Are you always such a moanin face? The proverbial who needs enemies when we have so called fans like you springs to mind 

🤔when we start going away in this shitey league with a mindset to get right on the front foot and take it to these shitey teams, I’ll stop pointing out (moanin) that pedestrian football and caution is what we’re more likely to do.

2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

I fear you may be correct JC. I'd like to give them a real doing but can't see it so will be delighted with any kind of a win.

A hearts win, mcgowan to get smacked in the face by a kingsley thunderbolt and Mcsnake to get sacked after the game

Jack Torrance

Fingers crossed we can get out of Dungdee without catching more covid ... or anything worse.

And 3 points. 

5-1 to the Hearts.

Ex member of the SaS

I do laugh at this place sometimes. When people post realist predictions or down to earth assessments they are either Hibs fans or anti Hearts supporters. It isn't wrong to look at the possibilities of a loss or draw as we don't have a right to win every game. It's not natural to see the world as Rosie all the time. Being a practical person myself I can enjoy the good times but also prepare myself for the disappointments in life. It is Hearts we support after all, and it wouldn't be right if Hearts did things the easy way.

6 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

NEILSON was manager at this time ?

Horatio Caine

I think that those who are advocating an  attacking approach are right.  We are the team with the best players in this league, and the highest budget.  Yes, we should be winning all our games but have no divine right to do so.  However - we are the equivalent of either of the OF in the top league.  Do they approach their away matches with a `don't lose` attitude?  Of course not.  They know they have the players to win the match so that  is how they set up.  In this league, we should be the same and we certainly (whilst respecting) should not fear anyone.

ScandinavianJambo
20 hours ago, Lfhearts said:

Take a draw, we are shite away from home as too cautious and he ain't changing it is he.

Wow, just wow

I wonder if Sow might be on our radarfor a return? If he has overcome his injury problems at last, he would have to show good scoring form until the end of the season to tempt RN, I guess.

You live in Scandavia 

4 minutes ago, ScandinavianJambo said:

Wow, just wow

Living in Scandinavia you are obviously not aware of how shite Hearts are generally away from home, playing inferior teams means little think Alloa, Dunfermline, Arbroath was a struggle, I don't like it but that's not changing.

Edited by Lfhearts

portobellojambo1
2 minutes ago, john thomas said:

NEILSON was manager at this time ?

Yes, that was the season we came back up and Robbie was still manager when it started. I honestly thought that in that first season, as someone else mentioned, he maybe turned to Levein for guidance too often, rather than making decisions on his own. He is a bit more experienced now, and I also think having Lee McCulloch at his side will help him as well.

5 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

The three most attacking players Robbie has available are playing. So you’re already wrong