*** Official Heart Of Midlothian versus Arbroath thread ***

cookieboy

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Walter Kidd was asked that question at one of the ceremonies. He reckoned that players are much fitter now, by a long long way. 

Yip, All sports are the same, the transformation of rugby for example. 

Continuous improvement of players, means that players are fitter, stronger and more like athletes than ever before. Imo not necessarily for the better of the game. 

Unfortunately, athletes need to be near 100% to perform or they break down. Imo footballers are too finely tuned for the game of football, they aren't athletes training then performing with big time gaps. 

Folk like George best, a guy with unbelievable football talent would struggle nowadays. 

Can't roll out your bed next to miss World after downing 12 pints, 5 lines, 20 fags and then turn up for a game. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Gorgie Boot boy

• sadj

• GinRummy

30 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Walter Kidd was asked that question at one of the ceremonies. He reckoned that players are much fitter now, by a long long way. 

How did Wattie manage to play virtually every game in that 85/86 season.......😉

40 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Snow coming down in sheets in west Edinburgh 

hope we have remembered the under soil heating

You'd hope so but not that cold to freeze and forecast above 0' tomorrow....it is lying though and seems set for another couple of hours

At least in theory don't have to clear snow from everywhere in the stadium given no fans

Looming forward to it.  Love these NZ mornings when Hearts are playing.  Really busy time for us so I'll be getting tore in from 5am so that by kick off at 8.45 I'll be well in control and able to make valuable contributions to this thread.

7 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Continuous improvement of players, means that players are fitter, stronger and more like athletes than ever before. Imo not necessarily for the better of the game. 

Unfortunately, athletes need to be near 100% to perform or they break down. Imo footballers are too finely tuned for the game of football, they aren't athletes training then performing with big time gaps. 

Folk like George best, a guy with unbelievable football talent would struggle nowadays. 

Can't roll out your bed next to miss World after downing 12 pints, 5 lines, 20 fags and then turn up for a game. 

Baws to that then  I'll stick to plumbing.

Edited by TypoonJambo

10 hours ago, S Form said:

Agree with this. Take Liverpool, for example. I think Klopp would play his strongest 11 every week if it weren’t for injuries/suspensions.
Remember CL used to change our line up constantly for no apparent reason - used to drive me nuts.

Yip.  How can you expect players to get into a rhythm , learn from mistakes, develop a stoic constitution through different scenarios if they are in and out the team?

A lot of managers now do think players just adapt and can resume their position with ease after being out for a couple of games. They don’t realise it’s hurting their own reputation ,as much as the player , as results fluctuate.  

8 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Who’s to argue with an ex pro but was Walter just being respectful?  

You watch some of the old matches and the pace is as good. They covered ground just as quickly and strongly. You need to be fit as **** to play on a full size pitch and to last 90 mins, whether it’s the 1980s or 2020. 

I think too much is made of the fitness aspect, even if there is a difference, I think it’s a fine line if anything. Players certainly seem less sturdy now with how often they break down injured. That’s been another debate a while back.

👍🏻

20 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

You watch some of the old matches and the pace is as good. They covered ground just as quickly and strongly. You need to be fit as **** to play on a full size pitch and to last 90 mins, whether it’s the 1980s or 2020. 

I think too much is made of the fitness aspect, even if there is a difference, I think it’s a fine line if anything. Players certainly seem less sturdy now with how often they break down injured. That’s been another debate a while back.

👍🏻

My recollection of the game in the sixties and seventies especially is that it was slower, but not less skilful. I remember watching the likes of Tommy Traynor, Roald Jensen and Bobby Prentice with the ball at their feet and being gobsmacked at how quickly and deftly (excuse that old word) they controlled the ball and beat opponents, but apart from that I'm sure the pace of the game was much slower. One of the reasons for increased athleticism in the game is the number of foreign players, they're usually more dedicated and athletic than British players, in my opinion. These days they're athletes who can play football  rather than the other way round, look at Hickey for example.

9 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

No doubt the modern era and all the sports science stuff have moved on from Zicos time but I don't see a hell of a difference in fitness levels from then and now in individuals. Alex McDonald's team were as fit as any Hearts team I've seen in my time. Once saw an interview with Derek Ferguson when he first signed for us and he couldn't believe the condition of the players at Tynecastle. He said they were all built like middle weight boxers and the fitness levels were incredible compared to those at Rangers at the same time. Alex McDonald told him that it would take six months of hard work to reach the levels of his new teammates. 

Would have been dreading going to the game today if there had been no pandemic. Would give my left bollock for it now though. I miss Tynie. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

10 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Would have been dreading going to the game today if there had been no pandemic. Would give my left bollock for it now though. I miss Tynie. 

I'll give my right one. 

Missing these games will make it all the more special every time we do walk through the turnstiles. 

Howdy Doody Jambo
43 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

A left bollock for a cold night in December, a championship match against the mighty Arbroath, you cannot be serious, you would be sitting there freezing your other bollock aff watching Craig Wighton running doon the wing 

26 minutes ago, Whitburn Hearts said:

What's the weather like in Gorgie , its a whiteout here in Whitburn . 

Whiteout at Roseburn so probably the same at Gorgie 

2 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

👍🏻

It's a fine line in some ways, good pros from 70s/80s would just be much fitter if they played today.

And too much is made of it - a lot of the guys who used to kick Colquhoun would struggle more with not being able to kick Colquhoun than they would getting up to speed in a bleep test.

54 minutes ago, JAMBONI said:

Whiteout at Roseburn so probably the same at Gorgie 

Snow on the ground but not snowing now. Should easily be swept off the pitch.

Re the PPV for tonight, potentially being thick here but does anyone know if you pay for the PPV are you able to watch the full game later on after its finished? Normally just watch it live but can't tonight. 

Thanks 

avhudtheteeshirt
32 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Who's gonna sweep the roads down from Arbroath?

Feeling this could be called off as they are unable to travel???

49 minutes ago, WageThief said:

It's a fine line in some ways, good pros from 70s/80s would just be much fitter if they played today.

And too much is made of it - a lot of the guys who used to kick Colquhoun would struggle more with not being able to kick Colquhoun than they would getting up to speed in a bleep test.

Different times but think players were tougher then . Great that players are allowed to show their skills but drives me nuts when they go down if anybody goes close to them . 90% of the time if a player goes down they get a foul !

49 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Sunny and blue sky at Roseburn. Thaw well underway 

50 minutes ago, JH-HMFC said:

Re the PPV for tonight, potentially being thick here but does anyone know if you pay for the PPV are you able to watch the full game later on after its finished? Normally just watch it live but can't tonight. 

Thanks 

The full game usually comes available at 12:01am on Hearts TV website. I'm not sure if you'll be able to or not if you've paid PPV and not Hearts tv. Might be an idea checking with the club via email.

1 hour ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

Who's gonna sweep the roads down from Arbroath?

Feeling this could be called off as they are unable to travel???

The main roads around Dundee are all open. 

2 hours ago, WageThief said:

👍🏻  

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
10 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

Gordon; Smith, Halkett, Berra, Halliday; Haring; Lee, Irving, Naismith; Boyce, Wighton. 

I reckon Duff, Kirk, McKenzie, McKay, Glidden, Cumming, Young, Conn, Bauld, Wardhaugh, Crawford. 😉  Should score a few.

Edited by Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

9 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

Gordon; Smith, Halkett, Berra, Halliday; Haring; Lee, Irving, Naismith; Boyce, Wighton. 

Decent. I think a few folk will be surprised tonight. I could be wrong but I think robbie will ring the changes. 

3 minutes ago, Barack said:

I hope not. He can ring all he wants once the league's settled. 2 or 3 changes...fine. 

Foot. Neck. Win. 

Arbroath's part-timer's have to play "full strength" most of the time, we've no excuses not too bar injuries to key players.

It almost bit us on the arse against Ayr. Wighton, Naismith, White (Kingsley injury & rested)and possibly Haring for Halliday in, other than that, no. Same team as Ayr.

It did almost bite us on the arse. I think RN will already have an eye on the Dundee game though. We’ll find out in a few hours. 

Edited by GinRummy

13 minutes ago, Andrew Gilbert Wauchope said:

I reckon Duff, Kirk, McKenzie, McKay, Glidden, Cumming, Young, Conn, Bauld, Wardhaugh, Crawford. 😉  Should score a few.

Nice one!

1 minute ago, Barack said:

Here are our January fixtures by the way, if anyone's interested:

Screenshot_20201229-141036_Google.jpg

Noticed that Barack probably the hardest run of games we will get this season

14 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Just look at the change in golf now, guys like De Chambeau, Koepke, McIlroy, Champ, to name a few, spend as much time in the gym as they do playing the game. No surprise that the big hitters are continually amongst the prizes.

Unfortunately miss world isn’t in my bed & Sadly my beer drinking is probably the reason why I struggle to hit it beyond 200 yds.

5 minutes ago, Barack said:

And we’ve got second round of Scottish cup on the 9th’ish. It’s a case of when not if for a bit of squad rotation. 

Edited by GinRummy

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, Barack said:

need to go all out to win every single one of them. If we do - league is over 

queensferryjambo
19 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Who put that tree up?  Bit squint.

Just checked on Hibs.net apparently the tree is ok it's the stand that is squint ;) 

11 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

Just checked on Hibs.net apparently the tree is ok it's the stand that is squint ;) 

🤣 That's actually after it was straightened it was worse before.

HillmanHearts
49 minutes ago, Barack said:

Gordon

Smiff      Berra   Halkett    White

Lee  Haring Halliday

Naismith 

Wighton Boyce

Hearts -1, cash money.

Wouldn't play Haring in there for this one personally - takes too long to move the ball. Unless it's basically to give Irving a break before Dens Park. 

HillmanHearts
49 minutes ago, Barack said:

Gordon

Smiff      Berra   Halkett    White

Lee  Haring Halliday

Naismith 

Wighton Boyce

Hearts -1, cash money.

Wouldn't play Haring in there for this one personally - takes too long to move the ball. Unless it's basically to give Irving a break before Dens Park.