*** Official Heart Of Midlothian versus Arbroath thread ***

cookieboy

20 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

We should be able to rest a few and be able to beat Arbroath. 

Been a lot of games and guys like Smith, Kingsley have played a lot. 

Don't want players to burn out physically or mentally. 

I'd go

Brandon 

Popescu / Kingsley if need be 

Berra 

Halkett 

Lee

Haring 

Irving 

Wighton 

Naismith 

Ginnelly / White 

I'd definitely rest Smith, probably Boyce as he is playing with injections. 

We play on Sunday v Dundee away. 

We could do with more getting injections to speed them up and move the ball quicker.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Gorgie Boot boy

• sadj

• GinRummy

5 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Also, the squad is strong not strong enough to deal with injuries to key players which is likely why Naismith was rested after playing 120 minutes the previous game.

Looking likely Kingsley should be ok for tomorrow but if he's borderline it wouldn't be because we are taking it easy if he's rested.

If KIngsley doesn't play we will no doubt find out if White is the one who tested positive for Covid as he will not be in the squad.

What are the options there. Popsecu?  or move Smith to LB and play Brandon RB?

Gordon 

Halkett Haring Berra 

Smith Lee Naismith Irving Kingsley

Wighton Boyce 

After watching Leeds yesterday it got me thinking about how a back 3 could work. Obviously 3 out and out centre halfs would be a waste but with Haring in there he could cover when the wingbacks were awol and also step into midfield if he had no one to mark. Smith and Kingsley are the only ones who can put in a decent cross so they might as well start a bit further up the park knowing Harings there.

21 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Gordon

Smith Halkett Berra Kingsley 

Lee   Irving   Halliday 

Naismith 

Boyce  Wighton 

2-0 Hearts

Thats the lineup with maybe the exception of Haring instead of one of the midfield 3

3 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Gordon 

Halkett Haring Berra 

Smith Lee Naismith Irving Kingsley

Wighton Boyce 

After watching Leeds yesterday it got me thinking about how a back 3 could work. Obviously 3 out and out centre halfs would be a waste but with Haring in there he could cover when the wingbacks were awol and also step into midfield if he had no one to mark. Smith and Kingsley are the only ones who can put in a decent cross so they might as well start a bit further up the park knowing Harings there.

Quite like that team as well. 

Gordon

Popescu  Berra Halkett

Ginelli Lee Haring Roberts

Walker

Wighton      Naismith

Rests the players we need to rest and gives game to those we don't.

Gorgie Boot boy
20 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

We could do with more getting injections to speed them up and move the ball quicker.

Exactly what is already happening.

Gorgie Boot boy
6 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

Gordon

Popescu  Berra Halkett

Walker

Wighton      Naismith

Why do we need to rest players , we are trying to get them up to speed on match fitness here.There has been a lot of chat about a settled first team selection, changing two positions is ok.

You may need to rotate due to injury or a player being right of the boil, no need to hack it up for the sake of players who have played little football for most of the year.

If a player has that same attitude , well he can sit in the stand.

9 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Exactly what is already happening.

Really, we should be asking for the money back for the injections then as they don't work.

26 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

If KIngsley doesn't play we will no doubt find out if White is the one who tested positive for Covid as he will not be in the squad.

My money would be on Halliday as next choice LB if White is the Covid guy.

47 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Halliday can play LB, I think?

Gorgie Boot boy
20 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Really, we should be asking for the money back for the injections then as they don't work.

I have an idea.

You could get an injection,see if it brings you up to speed.

Game time is the only way. injections are for relaxing the muscles tendons etc.

Allowing that player to play, not actual Speed though.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Billy Hoyle said:

Our squad isn’t good enough to be resting players I don’t think. 

Fair enough, but we won't play the same 11 every week. 

Players wil be rested / rotated. 

Every club in the world does this. 

Bazzas right boot
51 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

Gordon

Popescu  Berra Halkett

Walker

Wighton      Naismith

I'd play something like that. 

2 hours ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Why do we need to rest players , we are trying to get them up to speed on match fitness here.There has been a lot of chat about a settled first team selection, changing two positions is ok.

You may need to rotate due to injury or a player being right of the boil, no need to hack it up for the sake of players who have played little football for most of the year.

If a player has that same attitude , well he can sit in the stand.

Liverpool and DU won championships, and Hearts almost won one back in the day playing basically the same 11 week in week out - what has changed?

Gorgie Boot boy
1 minute ago, Thomaso said:

Liverpool and DU won championships, and Hearts almost won one back in the day playing basically the same 11 week in week out - what has changed?

Probably a multiple amount of reasons, the mentality is probably the biggest change.

7 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

It's a good point.

Think the pace of the game has changed immensely since at top levels in particular. I noticed this in old reruns of world cups and euros during lockdown.

Coaching and science beliefs in squad rotation.

Gorgie Boot boy
3 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

It's a good point.

Think the pace of the game has changed immensely since at top levels in particular. I noticed this in old reruns of world cups and euros during lockdown.

Sports science takes a roasting. I see it as part of being professional. The people who are working within it can be dug up by the players, we though wonder wtf is going on.

This season our players have been sitting out for huge parts over the last 8 months, been disrupted during pre season. Unprecedented events occurring to us and around us.

Present restrictions are part of the issue, players finding match fitness and their form. The side is pretty much 9 first choice players with 4 in and out, then you have the rest of the rotating  subs etc.

54 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

7-3, folk to go tonto about how conceding 3 is unacceptable. 

Conceding three is unacceptable. 

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Should have been 10

8 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Conceding three is unacceptable. 

😂😂

Bazzas right boot
48 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Almost 40 years ago. 

If you need to ask that question then no answer on here will help you understand. 

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

Almost 40 years ago. 

If you need to ask that question then no answer on here will help you understand. 

It was a genuine question smart arse - so enlighten me.

38 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

It's a good point.

Cheers - thanks for your input.

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

It was a genuine question smart arse - so enlighten me.

No answer I'll give will satisfy you if you can't see how football has evolved over it's entire history and in the last 40 years. 

Just now, Sir Gio said:

Interesting concept we can't afford to rest players. 

Been doing it all season 

Yep. Folk need to realise it’s not us that can’t afford to rest players it’s the other 9 teams in the league. 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Interesting concept we can't afford to rest players. 

Been doing it all season 

Exactly. 

Also, some posters insisting we play our strongest team no matter what would go tonto if key players picked up injuries and were out for a lengthy time or missed more difficult games. 

Every club in the world rotates and rests players at times, been like this for a few decades now. 

It's not a new concept. 

Gorgie Boot boy
9 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Exactly. 

Also, some posters insisting we play our strongest team no matter what would go tonto if key players picked up injuries and were out for a lengthy time or missed more difficult games. 

Every club in the world rotates and rests players at times, been like this for a few decades now. 

It's not a new concept. 

The difference is,this year is unprecedented, players had to wait to return to a training session with their team mates, some joined us after a similar lay off.

You cannot look at it with the same old same attitude. There are many differing factors at play.

Whilst I’m missing going to games having the choice tomorrow of a) sitting in tynie baltic or b) at home sipping a cold beer with the central heating on - 🤔

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

The difference is,this year is unprecedented, players had to wait to return to a training session with their team mates, some joined us after a similar lay off.

You cannot look at it with the same old same attitude. There are many differing factors at play.

Nah, it's simple for me. 

Smith has played every game, internationals and as a fb covers a lot of ground - rest him. 

Kingsley, after not much football, played a lot, as a fb cover a lot of ground- rest him. 

Boyce, had a niggle, playing with injections - rest him. 

Also, we'll have enough for Arbroath without them. 

We also have 2 more difficult games Dundee away v soon  and dunfermline who are second so if we rest these guys we can play a slightly stronger team in the more difficult fixtures. 

Simple as Tbh. 

We'll rest/ rotate some players anyway as Robbie sees fit. 

21 hours ago, Victorian said:

Arbroath bossed us in midfield a bit for spells in that previous game on the edge of the known world.  Hopefully we'll have a better grip on them this time.  Should score 3 or 4 so we'll win.  Probably.

The best they can do is 0-0 I think. They’ll sit in and try to frustrate our players into a long ball approach. Even if we score early I think they’ll sit tight and hope to fluke a goal. 

Gorgie Boot boy
3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Nah, it's simple for me. 

Smith has played every game, internationals and as a fb covers a lot of ground - rest him. 

Kingsley, after not much football, played a lot, as a fb cover a lot of ground- rest him. 

Boyce, had a niggle, playing with injections - rest him. 

Also, we'll have enough for Arbroath without them. 

We also have 2 more difficult games Dundee away v soon  and dunfermline who are second so if we rest these guys we can play a slightly stronger team in the more difficult fixtures. 

Simple as Tbh. 

We'll rest/ rotate some players anyway as Robbie sees fit. 

The right balance with level heads, we can do with style.

32 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

No answer I'll give will satisfy you if you can't see how football has evolved over it's entire history and in the last 40 years. 

At it's most basic it hasn't evolved at all.  Rule changes here and there, substitutes etc but the objectives are completely unchanged. 

Too many games now and an inane league set up to suit broadcasting revenues and the OF.

avhudtheteeshirt

This game has to start high tempo, shoot on sight, as they are likely to sit in and foul all night!

Slicker passing will out do them at the back, better crossing will also help!!!

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

At it's most basic it hasn't evolved at all.  Rule changes here and there, substitutes etc but the objectives are completely unchanged. 

Too many games now and an inane league set up to suit broadcasting revenues and the OF.

Changed massively, fitness and athletisism is far more of a part now. 

Too much of a part imo, but nevertheless a big part of football now. 

2 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

A necessity or fad?   (Rotation).   Sometimes a necessity but I think it’s become a fad also.  It’d be interesting to see how Hearts have fared when rotating and resting their better players?   It strikes me we mostly end up throwing on our key players from the bench to save the day.

One concept that’s never changed in football is the need to play close as you can to your best side to be successful. Look around and you see the best teams do it most of the time. It seems as you come down the scale, it’s lesser clubs who think they are being the geniuses. 

26 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

A necessity or fad?   (Rotation).   Sometimes a necessity but I think it’s become a fad also.  It’d be interesting to see how Hearts have fared when rotating and resting their better players?   It strikes me we mostly end up throwing on our key players from the bench to save the day.

One concept that’s never changed in football is the need to play close as you can to your best side to be successful. Look around and you see the best teams do it most of the time. It seems as you come down the scale, it’s lesser clubs who think they are being the geniuses. 

Agree with this. Take Liverpool, for example. I think Klopp would play his strongest 11 every week if it weren’t for injuries/suspensions.
Remember CL used to change our line up constantly for no apparent reason - used to drive me nuts.

5 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

It's a good point.

Have fitness levels of players not improved since 40 years ago? 🤔

1 hour ago, S Form said:

Agree with this. Take Liverpool, for example. I think Klopp would play his strongest 11 every week if it weren’t for injuries/suspensions.
Remember CL used to change our line up constantly for no apparent reason - used to drive me nuts.

Tinker Man

22 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Have fitness levels of players not improved since 40 years ago? 🤔

Not the best person for this.

Players are not necessarily fitter, but maybe more athletic and susceptible to strains and pulls in the quicker game.

Hearts 86 team were a very fit team, but more stamina than speed.

Again, I'm not qualified and probably talking bollocks. I'm trying to be polite by answering:thumbsup: