• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neilnunb

• Gorgie Boot boy

• Bazzas right boot

• kila

Guest ToqueJambo
38 minutes ago, Sertse said:

I can honestly see a lot of septic fans won't them winning because they're so obsessed with getting rid of popcorn teeth.

Sounds like some of our fans recently

There is only one option when it comes to playing celtic - high tempo in their faces. Sitting back and hoping for the best has proved time after time to be folly.

Twice we have beaten them by utilising these tactics - lets go for the hat trick on Sunday!!

9 hours ago, Spitonastranger said:

you obviously didn't watch the semi 

I definitely did watch the semi We never played well and had to thank Craig Gordon for getting through.

Whatever we think of Celtic and I despise them they are a step above us We will need absolutely need everything to fall into place on the day for us to win

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Groatallar said:

Which against any other team was a stonewaller especially the second one which the team claimed for and was given when waynama bounced the ball. As Paulo said I saw 2 handballs and if that’s not a penalty then I don’t know what is. The myth that it was dubious really annoys me especially when their goal was offside and doesn’t get spoken about 🇱🇻

Spot on. Even after a slow motion video clip that made it absolutely clear why the penalty was awarded even many Hearts fans swallowed the "dodgy penalty" story.

Edited by Francis Albert

2 hours ago, maroonsgotop said:

looks like we're in all maroon for the final going by that pic 

Same as 2006 then

therefsajambo

Couple of celtic boys at the work all over the place bout this. Up until their win against  lille they wouldn't even  have a small bet but since then I've managed to squeeze a two goal start AND the draw from one and a goal a start and the draw from the other. £20 at a time. Couple of wins hv given them a bit confidence which I am more than happy to take advantage of. 

1 hour ago, gowestjambo said:

There is only one option when it comes to playing celtic - high tempo in their faces. Sitting back and hoping for the best has proved time after time to be folly.

Twice we have beaten them by utilising these tactics - lets go for the hat trick on Sunday!!

Huge pitch makes it hard to be continually at it. And we don't have the players for that. So we need accuracy and shape. 

43 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Huge pitch makes it hard to be continually at it. And we don't have the players for that. So we need accuracy and shape. 

What does that sctually mean?

Francis Albert
16 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

I would guess being well organised defensively  and passing to players in maroon?

Bazzas right boot
26 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

Kerp our positional shape, be accurate in our passing. 

Gimme an H...

I'm up for this as much as anyone and do fancy our chances based on the improvement in our team since the last final v Celtic. 

Got to remember though that, despite this being an out of form Celtic team, they still have more points at this stage of the season than they did at this stage last season. They're still dangerous. Their form has been blown out of proportion because Rangers haven't dropped as many points as them. Celtic have also only lost one league game.

Of course we can win, but they're not as bad as some are making out. 

15 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Relax boys, This ones in the bag! 3-2 to the hearts!

Gordon

Smith Berra Halkett Kingsley 

Haring Halliday

Naismith Irving Ginelly 

Boyce

Going to be a glorious day.

:yas::pleasing:

You're going to leave Jamie Walker, a player on form and scoring goals, out of the starting Xl?

I said it earlier I really think 5 subs will be included in the tactics/how we set up. We will tire as we haven’t had to play against good teams so asking a couple of players to run themselves into the ground then sub them might happen. I’d prefer this rather than be too defensive and negative. Oh, and Lady Luck, please shine on us 🥳

Tom Hardy’s Dug
18 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

That team would be a shoe in to win on Sunday.

Yet couldn’t beat Gretna over 120 minutes...

Mine would be 
      Gordon

Smith Halkett Berra Kingsley 

Haring Irving 

Ginelly  Naismith  white 

Boyce 

I know he will drop Irving for Halliday though. Not Berra fan either but popescu looks dodgy. White in team for me as more direct at running. Would cause ajaer problems. Olly Lee misses out for me due to no pace even though decent assist this season. 

13 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

@Sigma One What’s your prediction for the final? 

my heart says 3-2 hearts (2-1 half-time) Smith with the opener. 😉 

my head says 1-1.  Hearts in penalty shootout.

This all depends on who's in for both teams.  I think if Robbie gets the guys in the right mindset and ensures this isn't just for the club/fans but big Zal then not even Scott "I don't get a card"  Brown (if he play £10 on a red) can stop us. :) 

46 minutes ago, Jambo 85 said:

Mine would be 
      Gordon

Haring Irving 

Ginelly  Naismith  white 

Boyce 

I know he will drop Irving for Halliday though. Not Berra fan either but popescu looks dodgy. White in team for me as more direct at running. Would cause ajaer problems. Olly Lee misses out for me due to no pace even though decent assist this season. 

I don't think Ginelly will start, firstly because we won't go gung-ho from the start, and second he would be unlikely to last 90 minutes. If we play with a back four it might be Naismith in front of Haring and Irving with Walker on the right instead of Ginnelly in a 4-2-1-3.

We're underdogs here so if we can keep it tight until the last 25-30 minutes then let Ginelly loose on them it could be very interesting. White has been improving game by game and he seems to have a big match temperament, so he might well start. I agree with you that Irving must start, class will be necessary against a team with some of that themselves. As Jock Stein said, you wear your working clothes (Halliday) for the qualifiers, but you get out the good suit for the final.

Horatio Caine

The guys could take a lesson from the way Sparta Prague played against them.  Maybe the sight of maroon again will be enough to spook Celtic.  Oh, and let's hope `Broony` plays!  However it unfolds, I feel we'll need a good dose of luck - but that's often how cups are won.

Has anyone mentioned the chance of playing a back 3 of 

Halkett - Berra - Kingsley

With Smith and White as wingbacks, could become a back 4 if required with White staying up.

1 minute ago, Bunny Munro said:

Has anyone mentioned the chance of playing a back 3 of 

Halkett - Berra - Kingsley

With Smith and White as wingbacks, could become a back 4 if required with White staying up.

Recent memories of Berra in a back 3 brings me out in a cold sweat. Although I can see what you're getting at all I can imagine is getting caught out.

12 hours ago, gowestjambo said:

I understand this. It is almost impossible to play a high press for any length of time on huge pitches e.g. Hampden, Celtic Park etc but perfectly possible on tight pitches e.g. Tynecastle. Running that extra 20/30 yards constantly to press can’t be sustained, especially against good teams who can keep the ball and despite their recent form, Celtic are a good team with some very good players. 

in terms of “accuracy and shape”, I assume the poster means don’t give the ball away by being inaccurate with passes and deliveries and keep whatever shape we are set up to try and stop their good players. 

55 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I don't think Ginelly will start, firstly because we won't go gung-ho from the start, and second he would be unlikely to last 90 minutes. If we play with a back four it might be Naismith in front of Haring and Irving with Walker on the right instead of Ginnelly in a 4-2-1-3.

We're underdogs here so if we can keep it tight until the last 25-30 minutes then let Ginelly loose on them it could be very interesting. White has been improving game by game and he seems to have a big match temperament, so he might well start. I agree with you that Irving must start, class will be necessary against a team with some of that themselves. As Jock Stein said, you wear your working clothes (Halliday) for the qualifiers, but you get out the good suit for the final.

Keeping it tight blah blah blah. Having a go in the last half an hour blah blah blah. A certain and many times proven recipe to get easily beaten by Celtic. 

Edited by JimmyCant

4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Keeping it tight blah blah blah. Having a go in the last half and hour blah blah blah. A certain and many times proven recipe to get easily beaten by Celtic. 

I am glad someone recognises the folly of continually doing what we have always done. These tactics hand the game on a plate to celtic. Last year we competed brilliantly by closing them down at every opportunity. Once Haring went off, we got deeper and deeper. If Zlamal had not dithered we might still have won last year. Celtic scoring changed the momentum of the whole game.

Teams are going to Parkhead (similar size pitch to Hampden) and playing with no fear against them. It is time we did the same and had a go.

16 hours ago, Sertse said:

I can honestly see a lot of septic fans won't them winning because they're so obsessed with getting rid of popcorn teeth. There's so much disillusion among the fans and presumably the team. They've been dropping points like crazy and their defence is poor. If we play like we did in the semi we've got every chance. Going into the game on the back of a 6-1 win is very good for us, Boyce has broken his dry spell, Gino is back at full fitness, players have confidence they can score and morale is high.

We've beat them with poorer teams than the one we have now.

I'm optimistic.

My only concern is while your right they're in a mess by their standards the last time they showed up at Hampden they smashed Aberdeen to pieces. So I'll do my usual and be a total sap and assume we'll get beat😂

17 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Keeping it tight blah blah blah. Having a go in the last half an hour blah blah blah. A certain and many times proven recipe to get easily beaten by Celtic. 

Correct.

Keep it tight for an hour and we will be in a position that we can't come back.

We need to go at them from the first whistle.

10 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

I am glad someone recognises the folly of continually doing what we have always done. These tactics hand the game on a plate to celtic. Last year we competed brilliantly by closing them down at every opportunity. Once Haring went off, we got deeper and deeper. If Zlamal had not dithered we might still have won last year. Celtic scoring changed the momentum of the whole game.

Teams are going to Parkhead (similar size pitch to Hampden) and playing with no fear against them. It is time we did the same and had a go.

What teams go to Parkhead, play with no fear, attack from the whistle, and win? As for attacking from the off with Ginelly, he won't last60 minutes, never mind 90. The team I suggested was hardly a defensive setup. We need to play our own game, which under RN is unlikely to be gung-ho all out attack.

Edited by upgotheheads

2 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

My only concern is while your right they're in a mess by their standards the last time they showed up at Hampden they smashed Aberdeen to pieces. So I'll do my usual and be a total sap and assume we'll get beat😂

Assuming we’ll get beat is a good place to be (for fans only obviously) For the players and management we know we have an underdogs chance. A free hit if you like. You’ve got to grasp a free hit with both hands and try and make it hurt, knowing that if you get beat having a go then we just move back to a vital league campaign and get on with this seasons main job. I sense we(the team) are really up for this and we know what we’ve got to do to win. I don’t see any sense in not having a real go here. Defend well when we need to. Have a bite at them in midfield. Take the chances they will DEFINITELY give us.

Spitonastranger
14 hours ago, otterjohn said:

I definitely did watch the semi We never played well and had to thank Craig Gordon for getting through.

Whatever we think of Celtic and I despise them they are a step above us We will need absolutely need everything to fall into place on the day for us to win

We never played well? Only had a couple of proper games playing against a team from a league above, your at it 

9 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

What teams go to Parkhead, play with no fear, attack from the whistle, and win? As for attacking from the off with Ginelly, he won't last60 minutes, never mind 90. The team I suggested was hardly a defensive setup. We need to play our own game, which under RN is unlikely to be gung-ho all out attack.

People who sit in and hope don’t win at Parkhead either mate. It’s not easy to beat them no matter what we do here, but when you come up against a team who’s biggest weakness is their back 4, it’s surely the way forward to go and ask them some questions, right from the start. You can do that and still keep a proper defensive shape in place so your not 100% open

29 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Worked perfectly in the semi final in 2012. 

Kidd’s Boots
4 hours ago, DG_HMFC said:

You're going to leave Jamie Walker, a player on form and scoring goals, out of the starting Xl?

If he starts, he needs to be switched on to whatever position he starts in. He’s had too many games this season where he has drifted out of position and out of the game for the most part. His 2 goals against Morton were down to being in the correct position. I’d like to see him start with Ginnelly as an option off the bench, but he needs to be on it from the first whistle, no room for passengers on Sunday.

Give Celtic room and time to play and we will lose. The recent O/F game saw rangers allow celtic possession until they reached the centre line, then they flew into tackles. They restricted celtic to one single attempt at goal. We must compete all over the park, but especially Midfield where most games are won or lost. Our recent success 's when we won against them is what we should look to replicate.

28 minutes ago, Spitonastranger said:

We never played well? Only had a couple of proper games playing against a team from a league above, your at it 

sorry about that I must remember to check with you before I post my opininion 

Why is Halliday on the radio the week of the cup final. I'm not fussed that he does it, but not on cup final week. Have a word Robbie, FFS! 

3 hours ago, Jambo 85 said:

Mine would be 
      Gordon

Haring Irving 

Ginelly  Naismith  white 

Boyce 

I think that's harsh on Walker, but I kind of get why you'd want legs instead.  And having Walker, Lee and Wighton all on the bench to come on and add running/passing/shooting to the game ain't bad options.

I'd probably still start Walker in place of White though.  Aidy has been a good sub for us and can be used to either stretch us forward or shore up by protecting Kingsley.  Also, and this is a bit defeatist, on the bench, he is fresh cover for Kingsley for an injury (we don't have much cover for our FBs).

ALSOOOO, if we start Gino, I doubt we get 90 mins for him and White is somewhat like for like as it is legs for legs, unless we want Wighton wide and he's way better in middle.

So, that's the team for me but bring in Walker for White and plan a likely Aidy on for Gino at around 65/70 mins.  Wighton can replace Boyce or Naismith when needed, Halliday for Irving, Lee for Walker, maybe even Hendo, Frear or Roberts for Naisy if it comes to it.  That leaves us maybe Popescu if required.

Done, you're welcome, Robbie.

53 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

People who sit in and hope don’t win at Parkhead either mate. It’s not easy to beat them no matter what we do here, but when you come up against a team who’s biggest weakness is their back 4, it’s surely the way forward to go and ask them some questions, right from the start. You can do that and still keep a proper defensive shape in place so your not 100% open

We would have Walker, Naismith, Boyce and White as attackers and Irving supplying the passes in the formation I prefer. Here's a totally out of the box prediction from me. White is a player I thought was not going to make the grade again in top-flight football. Since the H1b5 game where he won the penalty, he has improved a lot, maybe he's over his injuries now and is becoming more confident. He's also quick and coming in from the left side he could really surprise Celtic. And another prediction: Wighton will come on for the last 15 minute and score our third goal which will put the game out of reach at Celtic1 Hearts 3.

Horatio Caine
5 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

We would have Walker, Naismith, Boyce and White as attackers and Irving supplying the passes in the formation I prefer. Here's a totally out of the box prediction from me. White is a player I thought was not going to make the grade again in top-flight football. Since the H1b5 game where he won the penalty, he has improved a lot, maybe he's over his injuries now and is becoming more confident. He's also quick and coming in from the left side he could really surprise Celtic. And another prediction: Wighton will come on for the last 15 minute and score our third goal which will put the game out of reach at Celtic1 Hearts 3.

Strangely enough, I too have a strong feeling that Wighton will play an important part in this final.  Think about the players who have already scored for us in this cup run - mostly players who were either on the periphery, or previously dissed on here.  Wighton kept that theme up in the semi final and so I'm looking for that to continue in the final.

1 minute ago, Horatio Caine said:

Strangely enough, I too have a strong feeling that Wighton will play an important part in this final.  Think about the players who have already scored for us in this cup run - mostly players who were either on the periphery, or previously dissed on here.  Wighton kept that theme up in the semi final and so I'm looking for that to continue in the final.

With that in mind, I predict a Glen Whelan last minute winner after a one-two with Oshaniwa.

Horatio Caine
4 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

With that in mind, I predict a Glen Whelan last minute winner after a one-two with Oshaniwa.

🤣🤣🤣

• wattie exploited changed the title to come on hearts