***Official Heart of Midlothian v Celtic Scottish Cup Final 2020 thread***

Swanny17

I do think he may opt for a 3 come 5 at back just to stifle them. Celtic have no width at current I feel and struggle to break teams down.

Gordon

Smith Halkett Berra Popescu Kingsley

Haring Halliday 

Walker Naismith

Boyce

This will be the team in my opinion. Smith and Kingsley will get forward when they can and there will be enough defensive cover in Haring and Halliday in the middle. 

Either that or it will be Lee in for Popescu with a 4 4 2 diamond if he wants a bit more attacking impetus and bodies in midfield.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neilnunb

• Gorgie Boot boy

• Bazzas right boot

• kila

11 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Think they will have too much quality, don't trust us at the back.

Hopefully we put a decent fight and make a game of it though. Would be happy enough with that. 

Let’s face it, every one of their players would walk into our team except the goalkeeper. On their day they are streets ahead of us, but they’ve been struggling and they are mentally vulnerable and they have a dead man walking at the helm. If we’re going to win this we need to question their psyche and put that under severe pressure. No crowd - a huge advantage for us IMO

Edited by JimmyCant

Spitonastranger
20 minutes ago, otterjohn said:

Will live in hope but I cant see anything in this team to suggest us winning.Just cant see where the fight will come from.The leagues the main thing .If we do win the cup its a massive bonus.

you obviously didn't watch the semi 

23 minutes ago, otterjohn said:

Will live in hope but I cant see anything in this team to suggest us winning.Just cant see where the fight will come from.The leagues the main thing .If we do win the cup its a massive bonus.

Look at this team vs 2019 final.

We have more fight now.

Gordon Ramsay
14 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Let’s face it, every one of their players would walk into our team except the goalkeeper. On their day they are streets ahead of us, but they’ve been struggling and they are mentally vulnerable and they have a dead man walking at the helm. If we’re going to win this we need to question their psyche and put that under severe pressure. No crowd - a huge advantage for us IMO

No crowd definitely works to our advantage. If we have any chance it's imperative we get to half time without conceding. 

I'm expecting defeat but a small part of me has that glimmer of hope. 

Think our chance of winning is based on how well / poor Celtic play. If they have an off day and we sneak a goal we have a chance. Think Gordon also needs to have a big game as no doubt he will have saves to make. I just hope that whatever the outcome the team do us proud. I can take losing if we go out, have a go and leave it all on the pitch. What frustrates the life out of me is turning up in Glasgow, sitting back waiting for them to score then caving in horrendously once they do. I'm 40 and apart from a period in the 80's when we went there looking to win, there seems to have been a raft of Hearts managers / players who have shrunk into themselves playing through in Glasgow. 

I'm sure I read last year Gary Mackay say he never had a good game at Parkhead in his time with us! I'm sure there are players we have had that have similar stories to tell with both half's of the old firm. Even when we have had decent teams, we have an awful record through there. 97-98 team didn't beat either old firm home or away that season (with exception of the final). 

Anyway going off topic a bit, but come on Hearts, have some self belief and get into them! 

10 minutes ago, kila said:

Great gesture. But does that suggest all maroon for the cup final? :ninja: I want white shorts :(

Looks like you will be disappointed. 

51 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

As are our manager and our captain. Makes no difference unless your paranoid 

I can assure you I am not paranoid, just experienced.

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

That Kilmarnock game when I think Reilly got sent off.......

Proverbial if he sruck his whistle up hus anus, he would have managed the game better.

Still rage thinking about that game 

It's a one off game and funnier things have happened in football. The potential is there for everything from a thumping win by celtic to another 4-0 from us. It could be one of those games where stuff just works for one team. Given the money they have spent its more likely that happens for the great unwashed. But it wouldn't be a miracle for us to win. 

I'm excited as there is a decent enough chance of us winning. We are underdogs, but its not a ridiculous  bet to put on us winning.

Anyway, spoiler alert.

We will win. Take that to the bank.

At Johnstone, Ross County and Hibs have all had results against them in recent weeks.

Less of the negativity. There is every chance we can do this if everything falls into place.

We went close last season and that was with a pathetic coaching set up and a losers mentality throughout the club.

Edited by Homme

2 hours ago, milky_26 said:

The old adage of the best defence is a good offence is the way I like to think of it. Subject to fitness I would play both White and Ginnley as they are both willing to run at the fullbacks pushing them into a more defensive role or at least making them think more rather than just flat out attacking like they can do if teams stand off them. 

Sort of wondering that myself? Should we start with White and Ginnelly?  White may have his flaws but he works hard when he plays and gives his all. 

Although in its infancy, would it be wise to suddenly split up a decent understanding he had with Kingsley on Sat?  As much as we need our ball players we’ll need to outwork Celtic, you often do to have a chance against stronger sides.  

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Let’s get this straight right from the start. A lack of fight and desire on Sunday is completely unacceptable and anyone not giving blood sweat and tears in this game will be roundly slaughtered. I don’t necessarily think desire and passion will be enough but I’ll be infuriated if we lie down and put in a meek performance. It’s not an option. We’ve got nothing to fear and nothing to lose here.

Absolutely spot on. Losing a cup final to a far superior team is understandable and something we could all accept. However anything other that 100% effort and desire is completely unacceptable. If players go hiding on Sunday then they aren’t fit to play for Heart of Midlothian 

47 minutes ago, kila said:

Great gesture. But does that suggest all maroon for the cup final? :ninja: I want white shorts :(

Some nostalgia for Neilson probably (and Gordon)

2Q==.jpg

bigsuperslim1874
53 minutes ago, kila said:

Ditto 😤

2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

A large part of everything we have done so far this season has been with the cup final in mind. That’s why Haring has been used sparingly. It’s why we persisted with Boyce. It’s why we made sure Ginelly was 100% over his injury. It’s why we brought back an aerial defender. 

Haring won’t play at centre half but he will DEFINITELY play from the start

All IMO of course 

Agree with all of this.

Haring is so important for us in both boxes (plus also generally just great, of course), I'd be astonished if he didn't start.  Not that they get the big, strong title thrust on them, but for years Celtic have been a massive team full of 6ft+ players.  We need physical presence against them at set pieces.  This game could 100% be won and lost on that alone.

Let's see.

21 hours ago, Lfhearts said:

You know your stuff not, if Haring was the player he was perhaps, but he is not getting a game for a reason.

Byyy The Light

We need a Dunfermline against us type performance.

Every player sticking to their job as best they can, when they make a mistake one of their team mates on their shoulder to bail them out.  Then run harder and take advantage of any breaks we get.  Bodies on the line time.

Hopefully the malaise that seems to be hanging over their dressing room will still be there.  Too many of their players don't want to be there and are running down the clock, if they operate at 90% and we're at 100% then we have a chance.

Howdy Doody Jambo
37 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Some nostalgia for Neilson probably (and Gordon)

2Q==.jpg

What a team that was one of the best over the years 

Have to say I do like the all maroon look. Think we played majority of the 2006 cup campaign in all maroon. In fact can't think of many games we have lost playing in all maroon. 

22 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

We need a Dunfermline against us type performance.

Every player sticking to their job as best they can, when they make a mistake one of their team mates on their shoulder to bail them out.  Then run harder and take advantage of any breaks we get.  Bodies on the line time.

Hopefully the malaise that seems to be hanging over their dressing room will still be there.  Too many of their players don't want to be there and are running down the clock, if they operate at 90% and we're at 100% then we have a chance.

We also need our best possible 11 on the park. Subs may also be a major influence on the game with 5 being allowed. I hope we don't see any of Frear or Roberts on the pitch on Sunday. 

2 hours ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

I do think he may opt for a 3 come 5 at back just to stifle them. Celtic have no width at current I feel and struggle to break teams down.

Gordon

Haring Halliday 

Walker Naismith

Boyce

This will be the team in my opinion. Smith and Kingsley will get forward when they can and there will be enough defensive cover in Haring and Halliday in the middle. 

Either that or it will be Lee in for Popescu with a 4 4 2 diamond if he wants a bit more attacking impetus and bodies in midfield.

I think it would be a shame if he doesn't play Irving as our most creative central mid.

The outcome IMO is more dictated by the Celtic team selection than ours. We have probably 7 certain starters the 4 additional are all a similar standard, however Lennon has a huge call to make, does he go with the likes of Brown and others who got them there or does he go with the team who played on Sunday. If he goes with Sorro and Turnbull that's a midfield two we'll struggle to match and we'll need to sit in more, if he goes Brown and MacGregor we can open up a bit and try to play round them. The Celtic back line can either be a bit physical unit that's a danger in our box but can be got at in behind or he goes with the mobile back line that's dodgy at set pieces but will cause us problems in open play. Hopefully theirs a grass in the Celtic dressing room that tips off Robbie.

Edited by Rudy T

In their faces and press all over the pitch.

That’s how we ended the 67(?) game run.  

Naismith winding up Ajer. He’s a red card waiting to happen 

4 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Agree.  We need to be cute in both attacking and defending, but for me defending isn’t just about a cautious set up.

Its how hard you work, how much you want to run, how much you match them when they are in possession. It’s about workrate.   

An energised Hearts team on top of their game has a chance.  If you are sluggish and honed on sitting in, you aren’t ready when the ball is in your possession. 

Absolutely this.

We need to be in their faces from the first minute with no trepidation and have high energy levels to knock them off their stride.

Their confidence will not be high and if we can get at them from the first whistle we have a real decent chance here.

They are a vulnerable outfit at the moment that's for sure.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

Gordon

Haring Halliday 

Walker Naismith

Boyce

Not liking that team at all. If we go back 3 it's more likely to be Halkett, Berra and Kingsley with Smith and Ginnelly/White as WBs. Think at least one of Irving and Ginnelly will start as well.

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

do think he may opt for a 3 come 5 at back just to stifle them. Celtic have no width at current I feel and struggle to break teams down.

Gordon

Haring Halliday 

Walker Naismith

Boyce

We’d lose if we played that team. For me irving 100% needs to start

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, PauloSergio said:

We’d lose if we played that team. For me irving 100% needs to start

Irving and Ginnelly or White will hopefully start. A back 3 is possible if Neilson thinks Celtic will go with 2 up top, with White probably more likely to start in that case, but if Celtic play one up front a back 3 is overkill.

10 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Irving and Ginnelly or White will hopefully start. A back 3 is possible if Neilson thinks Celtic will go with 2 up top, with White probably more likely to start in that case, but if Celtic play one up front a back 3 is overkill.

Imo we need to play by driving into them, not soaking up pressure as everytime we’ve done that v them we have failed. Play into them and hope we can grab an early goal, but I totally get where you are talking from with 2 celtic strikers vs Berra and halkett

Relax boys, This ones in the bag! 3-2 to the hearts!

Gordon

Smith Berra Halkett Kingsley 

Haring Halliday

Naismith Irving Ginelly 

Boyce

Going to be a glorious day.

:yas::pleasing:

54 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Berra's worst performances have come in a back three. I'd stick with up back four with Haring dropping back to cover when either fill backs are pushing forward.

Bazzas right boot

I can't think of a reason why any of our players wouldn't try. 

To suggest a player wouldn't try in a cup final is ridiculous imo. 

If Celtic beat us it will Likley be a humping due to thier quality coming together or a controversial decision in a narrow win, it won't be because we never tried. 

Neither is happening tho, cos we're gonna win! 

I'm concerned that Haliday or Naismith get sent off for kicking someone, Likley brown in the heed. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, otterjohn said:

That fight that seen us get to the final and to the top of the league? 

That's were it's coming from. 

We'll win the league no matter what, that is not in doubt. 

The cup would be a massive bonus. 

IMO we have a better team than the last Cup final and celtic are worse. 

Make of that what you will. 

Francis Albert
41 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Hopefully no injuries to key players. 

My biggest wish for Sunday.

Obviously a win would be nice but it is farcical that the game is happening at all.

7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Obviously a win would be nice but it is farcical that the game is happening at all.

My boring pragmatism tells me that winning promotion is the most important thing for our long term future. Winning the cup would be a nice bonus though. 

William H. Bonney
12 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

It’s farcical that it’s taken this long to play it. Still agree it should be played but earlier in the year like the English managed. 

avhudtheteeshirt

Please adopt a shot on sight policy, all our best results have come from shooting from outside the box!

If Boycie follows in these type of shots, there will be goals coming from deflections and miss handling by the keeper!!

Francis Albert
53 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

It’s farcical that it’s taken this long to play it. Still agree it should be played but earlier in the year like the English managed. 

No doubt the thinking was that fans would be back and Celtic and their fans would enjoy the precious quadruple treble as a nice Christmas present.

As it is I think the delay helped us and we have a lsmall but real chance with a fitter squad more familiar with each other.

Still no injuries please.

12 hours ago, King prawn said:

One of my best days out as a Hearts fan! Getting a 90 minute penalty against Celtic in Glasgow in a semi-final...  :heartscup:

and also getting a first minute penalty in the 98 final against the other half of the OF wasn't too bad either 😁 

I can honestly see a lot of septic fans won't them winning because they're so obsessed with getting rid of popcorn teeth. There's so much disillusion among the fans and presumably the team. They've been dropping points like crazy and their defence is poor. If we play like we did in the semi we've got every chance. Going into the game on the back of a 6-1 win is very good for us, Boyce has broken his dry spell, Gino is back at full fitness, players have confidence they can score and morale is high.

We've beat them with poorer teams than the one we have now.

I'm optimistic.

12 hours ago, King prawn said:

One of my best days out as a Hearts fan! Getting a 90 minute penalty against Celtic in Glasgow in a semi-final...  :heartscup:

Which against any other team was a stonewaller especially the second one which the team claimed for and was given when waynama bounced the ball. As Paulo said I saw 2 handballs and if that’s not a penalty then I don’t know what is. The myth that it was dubious really annoys me especially when their goal was offside and doesn’t get spoken about 🇱🇻

• wattie exploited changed the title to come on hearts