***Official Heart of Midlothian v Celtic Scottish Cup Final 2020 thread***

Swanny17

Horatio Caine
4 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

I'm on the hesgoal stream with Rangers TV.  Who's the 'Andy' co-commentator?  He's Irish.

Oops wrong thread. sorry!

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neilnunb

• Gorgie Boot boy

• Bazzas right boot

• kila

13 hours ago, boag1874 said:

If possible

Gordon

Smith

Halkett

Berra

Kingsley

Haring

Irving

Gino

Naismith

Walker

Boyce

This is the line up I'd go with. Depending on ginelly's fitness, the only change would maybe be halliday in for him, with ginelly to come on for the last half hour or so.

14 hours ago, Fifejambo 51 said:

Lee has to start. Anonymous alot of the time but noone compares for assists

Lee is doing well v your queen of the souths but we can't be having any passengers next week. He can produce a moment of magic but we need folk to get stuck in for 90 mins next week. Maybe good to come on towards the end if we need a goal. 

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

They’re just waiting for that spell in the game though, where you have that bit of possession and get yourself up the pitch, and bang, they hit you on the break. So effective at springing that trap. But I feel we will have plans of our own, of how to do damage and exploit the gaps Celtic have been leaving this season. However the game goes, we will be bringing the cup home and the Celtic team bus, will not make it back to Parkhead intact

:greatpost:

55 minutes ago, R1874 said:

Just our luck Lennon changes now heading into cup final. Soro, McGregor and Turnbull seems a decent midfield? Christie off bench could be a worry

Still think Lennon will play Brown, Christie and Rogic in the final.

onwards and upwards
8 minutes ago, Hector Riva said:

Will there be crowd noise on Sunday? Who decides? 🤔 

We do, the great 

Heart of Midlothian football club.

Maybe not at Hampden but you'll hear us alright 😉

HHGH Onwards and upwards 

Edited by onwards and upwards

Ex member of the SaS

They made a comment on radio that Celtic had nearly a full team on the bench.

A team that would be fancied to beat any team in the SPL bar Sevco,  just shows the gulf the rest of us have to contend with.

Then you get comments for Mickey Mellon along the lines of Sevco got more of the decisions.

Why do the weegie officials feel the need to help the bigot twins with this gulf already before KO.

Jack Torrance

When we lift the cup, I hope we either walk straight off with it or we turn our backs at the photoshoot so all the press get are shirts with the name Zaliukas on the back.

Either way we can then celebrate in the dressing room streamed on Hearts TV to our support.

3-1 Hearts with the Celtic goal coming with 10 minutes to go.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

A cup final with no one in attendance. Will be tuning in looking for the win, but really what a cluster**** of an event

William H. Bonney
1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

A cup final with no one in attendance. Will be tuning in looking for the win, but really what a cluster**** of an event

Its been handled poorly but it’s still the Scottish cup final. I can’t wait for Sunday. A chance to add more silverware, fans or not. 

I said on the Robbie Neilson thread, but anyone who thinks we are anything other than massive underdogs for this game is kidding themselves.  Our record against them is pretty dire.

We need Celtic to have an off day and for us to hit top form, and I mean be better than in any game we have played so far this season - solid at the back, and clinical up front.

Horatio Caine
9 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

But they'll change the team back next week. 

Yup, I expect Lennon to go for experience - Christie, Rogic, in the starting line up, plus Thumb on the bench along with Mikey Johnson who was looking lively in the short time he had this afternoon.  Lennon's got all the experience plus a very strong bench.  If we win, he deserves to get his P45.

In the same way as if we turn up and play well in the championship we win. Celtic show up and play well they win.

Let's hope they underestimate us and we take our chances

We couldn't have picked a better time to play them.

They have been crap recently.

They won a dead rubber on Thursday with absolutely no pressure on them.

They struggled to breakdown Kilmarnock today - at home

Next week it's at Hampden.  No crown to help them and a bunch of guys just striving to get it right up them and see that wee weed emptied!

Come on Jambos.  Let's do this!!

4 minutes ago, a11ank said:

We couldn't have picked a better time to play them.

They have been crap recently.

They won a dead rubber on Thursday with absolutely no pressure on them.

They struggled to breakdown Kilmarnock today - at home

Next week it's at Hampden.  No crown to help them and a bunch of guys just striving to get it right up them and see that wee weed emptied!

Come on Jambos.  Let's do this!!

I like this post.

image.png.747d54490720842505db0fb9acd698fe.png

2 hours ago, Hector Riva said:

Will there be crowd noise on Sunday? Who decides? 🤔 

Now that' what I call sectarian chants volume 54 perhaps ?

17 hours ago, boag1874 said:

If possible

Gordon

Smith

Halkett

Berra

Kingsley

Haring

Irving

Gino

Naismith

Walker

Boyce

This is the lineup we must go with. If they are all on their game we can win. Only worry is lack of pace at CB but I think Haring will play just in front of them to offer protection.

I think he’ll do the same as the Hibs game and try to keep it compact for an hour before going to the bench. 

Gordon, Smith, Halkett, Berra, Kingsley, Halliday, Irving, Lee, Naismith, White, Boyce. 

7 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

See this ‘keeping it tight for 20 minutes’ thing. It gives me the fear because by the time 20 minutes is gone you’ve allowed the pattern of the game to be established. Before you know it you’re keeping it tight until half time and then for an hour. It’s asking to be beaten.

Obviously it’s important not to lose an early goal but we can’t just sit and watch this game take place in front of us. I’d rather see us buzzing about them for the first 20 minutes and let them know they are in a game. Press their midfield. Release quickly. Ask their defence some questions. They’ve shown they don’t always have the answers at the back. 

Good post JC. I like your style. Hopefully we attack them as to sit in and try to contain them is just asking for trouble. I don’t think our defence could contain them for 90mins. We need to at least let them know we plan to give them a game so hopefully we bring our ‘A’ game on Sunday. Starting to get butterflies with a week to go. 

Only chance we have is out scoring them. 

Might as well go for the throat from the off because we can't defend. 

Probably start with this then bring Ginnelly and Haring on. There's 5 subs available.

Naismith     Boyce     Walker

Halliday      Irving        Lee

Kingsley        Berra         Halkett       Smith

Gordon

20 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Lee Haring Halliday Irving Ginelly Walker. Two of those 6 will have to sit on the bench. Given that Boyce and Naismith are certain starters assuming fitness.

This might be a quick game in midfield with lots of pressing and snappy tackling. Not sure it suits Lee having to work run and dig. He’s fallen out of games like that in the past. I’d go with Haring Irving Walker and Ginelly (if fit- if not I’d go with Halliday) The only other question for me is do you expose Berra to such pace  and if you can’t risk that who do you play there that isn’t called Popescu

Agree here, esp your point on Lee.  I’m not convinced he’ll be dynamic enough for this game, we need tempo.  I see your other post on the “first 20 mins” thing.  Again, agree wholeheartedly.  Any apprehension from the off plays into their hands.

I think we’ll see a split down the middle of sorts with selection. I like my full backs getting forward but I can see RN asking them to hold position with the centre backs for the first half. 

But in turn, he’ll give us plenty attacking threat further forward and let them go about trying to create and do their thing, they’ll be asked to work hard at dropping back though.  I think Ginnelly in for White and Haring for Lee from yesterday’s line up.  Walker will work across the park, Naismith rotating and Boyce up top.  Inc, Irving, you’ve got 5 players capable of doing something damaging in their half.   Or, will he go for a tight 3 in the middle? You then lose one of the above.  

bigsuperslim1874

Lennon has effectively said he want to remain loyal to the players who got them to the final - let’s hope that’s true. By all accounts they deserved their win today but when you have Killie not even attempt to attack that shite defence then Celtic probably couldn’t believe their luck.

We HAVE to have a go - I’d be much prouder if we went for their defence as opposed to sitting in when we all know they are Keystone cops back there.

I think he will start with

Gordon, Smith, Kingsley, Berra, Halkett, Haring, Irving, Walker/Lee, Naismith , Boyce, Ginnelly

Lee seems capable of the sublime moment. Walker can be very hit or miss: not getting on the ball or taking up poor positions.

I just hope they are not coached to be utter fearful.of losing possession at the expense of crispness and tempo. This is a real worry. 

Controlled aggression needs to be there right from start

2 hours ago, Paul Shark said:

Now that's what I call sectarian chants volume 54 perhaps ?

I bet they'll have something like this on to get them in the mood:-

"50 Complete Rebel Songs" by The Fighting Men of Crossmaglen.

It's just like straying into one of those pubs beside The Barrowland Ballroom in the Gallowgate.

24 minutes ago, PnG said:

No Berra for me. Cost us the cup last time and shouldve stopped playing for us 2 years ago.

Well that’s a lot of pish. On a few counts. 

If no Berra that means Popescu

Cost is the cup? That was Edouard and Willie Collum  

Should’ve stopped playing 2 years ago? He’s still good enough for our starting 11 according to our manager so there’s another

Edited by DS98

Berra and Popescu both give me the fear (so does Halkett, but less so).

I imagine we'll look to pack the middle of the pitch and offer them the ball wide, they have no winger fit and will rely on Frimpong/Laxalt/Taylor to cross it in. Berra is better in the air than Popescu. 

2 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

Berra and Popescu both give me the fear (so does Halkett, but less so).

I imagine we'll look to pack the middle of the pitch and offer them the ball wide, they have no winger fit and will rely on Frimpong/Laxalt/Taylor to cross it in. Berra is better in the air than Popescu. 

From years of watching Hearts at Tynie do just that only for the ball to eventually end up in the back of the net, I'm inclined to think that giving them free reign in wide areas to ping balls into our box at will is asking for it. As per the 4-0 'Invincibles' turn-over don't let them settle, far less gift them time on the ball.

1 hour ago, jambmoz said:

hope so, id almost give us more chance with Brown playing

I don't think they will change team back, Christie may get into starting 11 but that's it

Just now, Lfhearts said:

I don't think they will change team back, Christie may get into starting 11 but that's it

Lennon has already said as much. He seems to have some sort of fixation on the players who got them to the final getting their chance to complete the job, but maybe he's bluffing. Either way, with 5 subs they'll have plenty of opportunity to make changes.

1 hour ago, kila said:

Probably start with this then bring Ginnelly and Haring on. There's 5 subs available.

Naismith     Boyce     Walker

Halliday      Irving        Lee

Kingsley        Berra         Halkett       Smith

Gordon

Quite close to my 11, if ginelly is fit he plays, halliday holding midfielder, that lets lee and irving to do the play making, hate to say it but would take out either boyce or naismith so ginelly plays

With 5 subs, Halliday should start. He can crock one Celtic player with his free hit then another for a booking, then we can sub him for say Irving.

58 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Controlled aggression needs to be there right from start

Where’s Ian Black when you need him at the start of a Cup Final??!! 

I'm not that far from already celebrating Heart of Midlothian's 2020 Scottish Cup win.

Genuinely believe we're winning it. Indeed, I'd be surprised if we didn't. 

Edited by martoon

Remember that lennon didnt want to give us Gordon in January! That effectively relegated us imo,

I hope neilson and gordon reminds the team of this before playing that filth! 

Come on hearts, Get it right up these barstewards! 

Just now, gregzy2k7 said:

Remember that lennon didnt want to give us Gordon in January! That effectively relegated us imo,

I hope neilson and gordon reminds the team of this before playing that filth! 

Come on hearts, Get it right up these barstewards! 

He probably regrets letting Gordon go now tbf.

• wattie exploited changed the title to come on hearts