***Official Heart of Midlothian v Celtic Scottish Cup Final 2020 thread***

Swanny17

pettigrewsstylist

Strongest 11 from the off for me. We need to be believing by HT, not all back slapping because we kept it to 1-0  and asking JW when he fancies coming on.

If thats all we got then its fingers crossed and hope as per.

My hope lies in us understanding current Celtic weaknesses and ruthlessly exploiting them in first 30 mins. Stop them attacking at will is priority IMO.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neilnunb

• Gorgie Boot boy

• Bazzas right boot

• kila

8 hours ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

A fair mix of opinions. Personally, I loathe the "stay in the game until 2nd half / 60th minute" approach. It almost never works and often doesn't allow for a plan B. Even if it does work, the plan is to be drawing 0-0 or be only one goal down and chasing the game against a side that won't feel pressured to commit or take risks going forward. The game begins in the first minute, not the 60th!

As for the team, the back 5 more or less picks itself, Berra being the only question mark. I'd personally select Berra for three reasons. First, he has a more established partnership with Halkett. Second, dropping him now would be upsetting in the dressing room I think, especially after how Stendel dropped him. Lastly, he will hopefully have a much higher burning desire to win this with his memories of the last cup final clear in his mind. His motivation will be second to none. 

Naismith and Boyce, we are all agreed on :) 

Midfield is the tricky one. 

Haring is a must, crazy to me that some posters had him on the bench. 

The two that I would definitely start would be Irving and Gino. Irving is arguably our best passer, and unless we think Celtic having the ball is better than us having the ball, we need our best passers. It is the best form of defence, and absolutely necessary if we are going to be counterattacking, or making use of the long pitch to stretch Celtic's biggest weakness, their back 4. 

Haring will more than cover Irving defensively and those two together will not let us down when trying to retain possession. 

As more Gino, can he only last 60 minutes? Nobody actually knows, but assuming this is true, why are we then dropping him for a 30 minute appearance instead? An appearance that could see us already 2 or 3 goals down by the time he is stripped?

I say start him, get that 60 minutes+, cause those ****s all the problems that we can, and aim to be 2 goals up after 60 minutes, not "still in the game". We need a fresh Boyce to be on the end of a proper winger's service, he won't get the space or have the energy to keep up with Gino in the latter stages. 

For balance, Olly Lee plays right mid, his best position imo. His right foot crosses are sublime, (reminds me of Boyack) and he can drop in to cover. 

Walker is your man for replacing Gino if needed, yes he's scoring goals, but someone needs to drop out, and he isn't a winger who can stretch the back four. 

Halliday would be benched too. No doubt a great option when we are holding on to our 2 goal lead after 70 minutes or so ;) 

Gordon

Smith Halkett Berra Kingsley 

Haring     Irving 

Lee        Naismith       Gino

Boyce

Good analysis and I agree that we have 7 nailed on starters, the back 5 from the last couple of games plus Naisy and Boyce. The others (Haring, Walker, Irving, Halliday, Lee, Gino, White) are battling for 4 spots although if fully fit surely Haring has to play. My only quibble with your thoughts is that imo Gino is much more effective on the right so it's difficult to play both him and Lee unless Lee played a bit deeper instead of Irving. A conundrum for Robbie to sort out but it makes a nice change from having to disregard an army of injured players.

I emailed Hearts TV about showing the game internationally, they said they were "awaiting final notification from the club". Hopefully another streaming option for us ex-pats coming soon. 

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious here......But failing to get Hearts TV coverage......Is it not possible for you to get BBC Scotland using a VPN set to a UK IP address? I use IP Vanish when abroad (wife wants Corrie)
Some of these TV apps allow for regionalised BBC coverage.....even if you go onto the BBC website itself.
Good luck anyway.....I hope you manage to get the game.

A fair mix of opinions. Personally, I loathe the "stay in the game until 2nd half / 60th minute" approach. It almost never works and often doesn't allow for a plan B. Even if it does work, the plan is to be drawing 0-0 or be only one goal down and chasing the game against a side that won't feel pressured to commit or take risks going forward. The game begins in the first minute, not the 60th!

As for the team, the back 5 more or less picks itself, Berra being the only question mark. I'd personally select Berra for three reasons. First, he has a more established partnership with Halkett. Second, dropping him now would be upsetting in the dressing room I think, especially after how Stendel dropped him. Lastly, he will hopefully have a much higher burning desire to win this with his memories of the last cup final clear in his mind. His motivation will be second to none. 

The two that I would definitely start would be Irving and Gino. Irving is arguably our best passer, and unless we think Celtic having the ball is better than us having the ball, we need our best passers. It is the best form of defence, and absolutely necessary if we are going to be counterattacking, or making use of the long pitch to stretch Celtic's biggest weakness, their back 4. 

Haring will more than cover Irving defensively and those two together will not let us down when trying to retain possession. 

As more Gino, can he only last 60 minutes? Nobody actually knows, but assuming this is true, why are we then dropping him for a 30 minute appearance instead? An appearance that could see us already 2 or 3 goals down by the time he is stripped?

I say start him, get that 60 minutes+, cause those ****s all the problems that we can, and aim to be 2 goals up after 60 minutes, not "still in the game". We need a fresh Boyce to be on the end of a proper winger's service, he won't get the space or have the energy to keep up with Gino in the latter stages. 

For balance, Olly Lee plays right mid, his best position imo. His right foot crosses are sublime, (reminds me of Boyack) and he can drop in to cover. 

Walker is your man for replacing Gino if needed, yes he's scoring goals, but someone needs to drop out, and he isn't a winger who can stretch the back four. 

Halliday would be benched too. No doubt a great option when we are holding on to our 2 goal lead after 70 minutes or so ;) 

Gordon

Haring     Irving 

Boyce

Its the team I'd probably go with, the glaring weakness being the centre halves but aside from dropping Harring in there it's the best we've got. With Walker, Halliday and Wighton on the bench we can play around with the formation of the game needs it.

6 minutes ago, HoGwash said:

Good analysis and I agree that we have 7 nailed on starters, the back 5 from the last couple of games plus Naisy and Boyce. The others (Haring, Walker, Irving, Halliday, Lee, Gino, White) are battling for 4 spots although if fully fit surely Haring has to play. My only quibble with your thoughts is that imo Gino is much more effective on the right so it's difficult to play both him and Lee unless Lee played a bit deeper instead of Irving. A conundrum for Robbie to sort out but it makes a nice change from having to disregard an army of injured players.

The answer is probably to go with Halliday left mid, but then you lose Lee's assists and his shooting ability.

One thing we know reading this thread is Lennon will have no idea of the team until 1pm Sunday.

I'm torn between wanting another 4-0 or settling for a 1-0, with Naismith accidently stepping on Scott Brown's vagina again...

Decisions,decisions 

Jambo, Goodbye
1 hour ago, Hashimoto said:

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious here......But failing to get Hearts TV coverage......Is it not possible for you to get BBC Scotland using a VPN set to a UK IP address? I use IP Vanish when abroad (wife wants Corrie)
Some of these TV apps allow for regionalised BBC coverage.....even if you go onto the BBC website itself.
Good luck anyway.....I hope you manage to get the game.

Thanks,  yeah I could also do the whole VPN thing, but I'm not sure if I'll get a reliable enough one for free? If I'm gonna pay money,  then I'd rather give it to Hearts. But I just thought i'd share the Hearts TV news anyway :)

1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

The answer is probably to go with Halliday left mid, but then you lose Lee's assists and his shooting ability.

One thing we know reading this thread is Lennon will have no idea of the team until 1pm Sunday.

Lee has been the one constant in the midfield for all main games this season so although I'd be tempted to Lee him out I'm pretty certain he'll start. Plus as you say if we do score there's a big chance he'll be involved.

Let us remember this, IF we win the cup, as SFA President it will be Rod Petrie who will have to present us with the cup. The joy of watching that cretins face.

Forget debatable best starting 11. Forget how to stay in the game and pounce on the counter (it’s a rare day when you execute that plan). Just go out, fight like feck, bleed for the jersey, and may the footballing Gods be with us.

1 hour ago, Hungry hippo said:

Lee has been the one constant in the midfield for all main games this season so although I'd be tempted to Lee him out I'm pretty certain he'll start. Plus as you say if we do score there's a big chance he'll be involved.

Lee’s biggest drawback is he shirks away in any game that turns into a battle. If we’re going to win this it’ll be because we win the physical battle in midfield. He’s done it several times. For that reason I’d sit Lee on the bench. Walker comes into the same category for me. 

I’d go with Haring, Irving, Halliday and Ginelly.

2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

£20 on a Hearts win at Willy Hill’s. 10/1

Mon the JT’s.

10/1 is crazy odds! Didn’t realise they were as high as that. Might take a punt myself at that rate. 

I would like to see;

Gordon

Smith 

Halkett

Berra

Kingsley

Haring

Irving

Ginnelly 

Walker

Naismith

Boyce

I doubt it will be that though. I think Robbie will probably start the likes of Halliday and Lee. 

11 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Lee’s biggest drawback is he shirks away in any game that turns into a battle. If we’re going to win this it’ll be because we win the physical battle in midfield. He’s done it several times. For that reason I’d sit Lee on the bench. Walker comes into the same category for me. 

I’d go with Haring, Irving, Halliday and Ginelly.

My worry with Halliday is two rash tackles and it's cheerio. And we know he's probably as desperate to win this as all o us, only for different reasons.

2 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

My worry with Halliday is two rash tackles and it's cheerio. And we know he's probably as desperate to win this as all o us, only for different reasons.

The other option is Irving or Lee who will guide the opposition to our goal with zero tackles.

2 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

True. Naismith’s another one who needs to reign it in sometimes. We need to keep 11 on the park that’s for sure.

Its good debate to have 6 or 7 options in midfield. I’m sure the ones left out at the start will play a part in the game at some stage.

3 minutes ago, Gambo said:

The other option is Irving or Lee who will guide the opposition to our goal with zero tackles.

If Lee plays and I think he will it'll be wide right I think. He may go:

Gordon 

Smith Halkett Berra Kingsley

Lee Harring Irving Halliday

Boyce Naismith

With the exception of Irving it's by far the most experienced line up.

10 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

True. Naismith’s another one who needs to reign it in sometimes. We need to keep 11 on the park that’s for sure.

Its good debate to have 6 or 7 options in midfield. I’m sure the ones left out at the start will play a part in the game at some stage.

Naismith and Brown pretty much have their own battle when they play against each other, not sure Brown will on play Sunday

HillmanHearts

Nothing against Jamie but I’m not sure about starting him for this one.
He has been decent this season and is a bit of a goal threat but my recollections are that he has sometimes struggled to mark his presence in big matches for one reason or another.

Will he have the legs and drive we need for this contest ?

No doubt that Robbie rates him and it will depend on the set up but I’m thinking it’s maybe a place on the bench for Jamie.

54 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Naismith and Brown pretty much have their own battle when they play against each other, not sure Brown will on play Sunday

Guaranteed Brown will leave a bad one in Irving early on re Cochrane. 

Kidd’s Boots

Skybet offering Kingsley to score and Hearts win @50-1

Any foul on that right hand side of the box and I’ll be delighted to see him taking control, placing the ball down and burying it!!

13 hours ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

Gordon

Haring     Irving 

Boyce

Agree re the ‘stay in the game approach’. I think the only way we win this is if we score first then score the second goal of the game. We won’t do that if we sit back and try to stay in it. 

The Treasurer
59 minutes ago, 5-1Jambo said:

Guaranteed Brown will leave a bad one in Irving early on re Cochrane. 

Nah.

Cochrane was just a wee laddie at the time. Irving is a big lad.

I doubt a bully like Brown won't have the baws to try that,

45 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Agree re the ‘stay in the game approach’. I think the only way we win this is if we score first then score the second goal of the game. We won’t do that if we sit back and try to stay in it. 

Well, I've just watched the highlights of St Mirren v The Rangers and there's no doubt in my mind that Gerrard got it wrong by not starting with his best 11. Not playing Baračić, Defoe, and Hagi from KO cost him dearly. More than likely cost them the cup.

So, I'm all for taking the Levein v the so-called 'invincibles' approach and getting in their faces from the get-go. Incidentally, if anyone can stomach watching this clip then at least there's the enjoyment of seeing McGregor punch out direct to a St Mirren player and then spill the ball for St Mirren's 3rd; shades of Pereira or what? 😄

St. Mirren 3-2 Rangers | Late Drama as Saints Stu…: https://youtu.be/T_uGrF7vIxU

Edited by Wee Mikey

21 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Nah.

Cochrane was just a wee laddie at the time. Irving is a big lad.

I doubt a bully like Brown won't have the baws to try that,

Don't forget what prompted Broonaldo's assault on Harry. That was (in my humble opinion) a pre-meditated revenge for a young lad having previously had Broonie in his pocket. Utterly contemptible behaviour that could easily have crocked Harry for good. Broonie has had that in him since his emergence at Hibs. Thuggish and cynical.

Gordon

Smith          Halkett.   Berra.   Kingsley

Haring  

Lee/Ginelly            Halliday                Walker

Naismith.        Boyce

I think RN will go for experience and play the big game players. Very very Harsh on Irving and if it was any other game I’d be annoyed at him not starting but fully believe he will make an appearance in the 2nd half if we’re chasing the game or looking to grab a winner.

3 hours ago, David Black said:

Let us remember this, IF we win the cup, as SFA President it will be Rod Petrie who will have to present us with the cup. The joy of watching that cretins face.

That, should it happen, would be the picture of the century. Please, oh pretty please make it so ...

27 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Don't forget what prompted Broonaldo's assault on Harry. That was (in my humble opinion) a pre-meditated revenge for a young lad having previously had Broonie in his pocket. Utterly contemptible behaviour that could easily have crocked Harry for good. Broonie has had that in him since his emergence at Hibs. Thuggish and cynical.

Absolutely it was, similar to Roy Keane on the lad from Man City only Brown plays for Celtic so best not too mention it too much. If he does nail Irving I hope Harring Halliday and Naismith take it in turns to boot brown in the balls!

7 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Absolutely it was, similar to Roy Keane on the lad from Man City only Brown plays for Celtic so best not too mention it too much. If he does nail Irving I hope Harring Halliday and Naismith take it in turns to boot brown in the balls!

At least Andy Irving is eligible for this game. 😄

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11790/11442222/hearts-apologise-after-fielding-ineligible-player-against-cove-rangers

I could be mistaken but was not Andy Irving a rugby player for his school? Not a push-over ... 😄

The Treasurer
44 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

There is absolutely no doubt that it was pre-meditated.

As you say thuggish and cynical, but I would add cowardly.

1 minute ago, Wee Mikey said:

At least Andy Irving is eligible for this game. 😄

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11790/11442222/hearts-apologise-after-fielding-ineligible-player-against-cove-rangers

I could be mistaken but was not Andy Irving a rugby player for his school? Not a push-over ... 😄

That was Euan Henderson, although Andy might have as well. 

Gordon

Smith Halket Berra Kingsley

Haring

Lee Irvine Haliday Gino 

Boyce

28 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Took him out from behind, iirc. The absolute mark of a coward. He needs his bollocks given a good stamping but not if that results in a red card for Naismith or Halliday. He's well past his best and should be given the chance to totally fu*k it up with a cynical foul.

Guest ToqueJambo
25 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Took him out from behind, iirc. The absolute mark of a coward. He needs his bollocks given a good stamping but not if that results in a red card for Naismith or Halliday. He's well past his best and should be given the chance to totally fu*k it up with a cynical foul.

This. It was a pre-meditated effort to take Cochrane out as payback for the previous game and Cochrane's cockiness. 

If that had been an experienced Hearts player - Scotland captain no less - deliberately taking out a 16 year old considered one of the country's best prospects at the time the papers would have had a field day.

1 hour ago, sandylejambo said:

Gordon

Smith Halket Berra Kingsley

Haring

Lee Irvine Haliday Gino 

Boyce

It’s a really good side and I can see the advantages of playing Haring deeper than the rest of the midfield. Naismith plays though. He understands Celtic. 

Central Midfield is going to be hard to pick. Haring should definitely start, but who do you pair him with?

There's a lot of pros and cons for everyone.

5 hours ago, Rudy T said:

hope not as he’s a shit stirring tosser

WoolfordsHearts
2 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Thankfully Brellier had the foresight to exact revenge on him 10 years earlier.😁

Sure I read last week that Robbie and players preferred 4-3-3. I reckon a diamond shape and expect...

Gordon,

Smith, Halkett, Berra, Kingsley

Haring,

Lee,                       Irving,

Naismith                Walker

Boyce

Boyce Naisy

Walker 

Irving             Olly Lee

Haring 

Kingsley  Berra   Halkett  Smith 

Gordon 

My half sister

1. I will not be betting on Sunday regardless of what odds Hearts are, a Hearts win will give me enough pleasure without worrying about financial gain. 

2. It is good to try and pick the team but I'll leave it to Robbie to work out the best formation and personnel 

3. Haring must play

4. This could be the best Christmas ever

Gorgie Boot boy
20 minutes ago, RENE said:

Sure I read last week that Robbie and players preferred 4-3-3. I reckon a diamond shape and expect...

Gordon,

Smith, Halkett, Berra, Kingsley

Haring,

Lee,                       Irving,

Naismith                Walker

Boyce

The difference with us this year and last are night and day., i have saw several potential line ups on here over the last few days.

I see a lot of ball playing in your line up, possession with some bursts of creativity, very close to our strongest side.

Issue with no Ginnelly Halliday . this is the area that will give Robbie Lee and Gordon mind games.

Haring Iriving and Lee hold the aces, with Gordon at his best, Ginnelly Halliday coming on around 65 minutes sounds ok though they will all get time on the pitch in this one.

Berra getting named on match day squads is really good, he has changed how he plays to suit the way we play under Robbie, he deserves his place.

Irving  has the tools to open up the play, play him from the start and we find out a lot more about him.

Whighton Roberts Frear Popescu to name a few have settled in, they are all in it. Add in the younger lads.

The current squad gievs us numerous possibilities for this one game.

Your side may very well be the starting line up on Sunday, bar Gordon they are all goal scorers.

1 hour ago, WoolfordsHearts said:

Thankfully Brellier had the foresight to exact revenge on him 10 years earlier.😁

Seem to remember Janny punching him too. Just made me love him even more! 

Just now, My half sister said:

1. I will not be betting on Sunday regardless of what odds Hearts are, a Hearts win will give me enough pleasure without worrying about financial gain. 

2. It is good to try and pick the team but I'll leave it to Robbie to work out the best formation and personnel 

3. Haring must play

4. This could be the best Christmas ever

Well I will be betting on Sunday, but if my wife finds out how much I won't make it to Christmas. 😵

• wattie exploited changed the title to come on hearts