***Official Heart of Midlothian v Celtic Scottish Cup Final 2020 thread***

Swanny17

The countdown starts now!!

Hard to pick next weeks team but I think we’ll see Haring start, possibly Ginnelly too. 

Come on the famous!!!!

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neilnunb

• Gorgie Boot boy

• Bazzas right boot

• kila

We have to go for it. Its a free hit and Celtic are there for the taking if we get in their faces. Sit back and try hit them on the counter and its game over before a ball is even kicked.

Think we’ve missed their lowest ebb by a week or so, unfortunately. We definitely have players who can cause them problems, though. I think we’ll be quite conservative initially - their pace will be a worry.

If we do pull this one off, it’s an unbelievable achievement. Right up there with anything the club has ever done.

Been no better time to play them in a final in the last 4 years. All the pressure is on them. I just hope we go for it, I’ll take losing if I know we went out and gave it everything. What I’ll struggle to take is if we go hiding against this mob. In my opinion would our biggest achievement in my lifetime. Beating Rangers, Hibs and Celtic to win a Scottish cup is incredible, add in all what’s happened to the club I’m between aswell

This will be the end of Lennon and Celtic. And possibly parts of Glasgow.

Wind is picking up in Hearts' sails again. A bit more confidence going into cup final week after today's performance.

You just know Lennon is going to drop Turnbull, Soro, Klimala etc and go back to shite like Scott Brown. :lol: 

I think we’ll win. Would imagine Haring and Halliday were benched today so they could start next week, but Irving has probably given him a headache. Not sure if he’s right for this game. I’d go with...

Gordon

Smith Halkett Berra Kingsley

Haring Halliday 
          Ginnelly Naismith Walker

Boyce

Harsh on guys like Irving, Lee, Wighton etc but sure they’ll play their part. 5 subs I believe.

jimmy the jambo

If Smelik get a player sent off tomorrow and it’s an automatic next game ban,I’d be a wee bit confident for the final,However that doesn’t happen in Scotland & they get a free ride.

I hope we play better than them & it’s not an iffy decision that wins the cup (ie) last years dodgy penalty.

I want us to win & win with dignity - then we can party ♥️🎅

Nervous - of course. Don’t like Celtics result midweek and maybe Lennon finally finding a midfield that works. If Edouard or Christie turn up then it could be difficult 

Hate not being there live but is what it is

Think 10 of the 11 is set. 11th depends on how fit Gino is. Personally think might be worth the risk

Gordon; Smith, Halkett, Berra, Kingsley; Naismith, Lee, Haring, Irving, Gino: Boyce

Halliday, Walker, Wighton decent options from bench

Edited by R1874

16 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

You just know Lennon is going to drop Turnbull, Soro, Klimala etc and go back to shite like Scott Brown. :lol: 

I think we’ll win. Would imagine Haring and Halliday were benched today so they could start next week, but Irving has probably given him a headache. Not sure if he’s right for this game. I’d go with...

Gordon

Smith Halkett Berra Kingsley

Haring Halliday 
          Ginnelly Naismith Walker

Boyce

Harsh on guys like Irving, Lee, Wighton etc but sure they’ll play their part. 5 subs I believe.

Irving in for Halliday for me and that would be my team. Last 2 games Irving has really impressed me and deserves to start. 

Disser Pointon
4 minutes ago, R1874 said:

Nervous - of course. Don’t like Celtics result midweek and maybe Lennon finally finding a midfield that works. If Edouard or Christie turn up then it could be difficult 

Hate not being there live but is what it is

Think 10 of the 11 is set. 11th depends on how fit Gino is. Personally think might be worth the risk

Gordon; Smith, Halkett, Berra, Kingsley; Naismith, Lee, Haring, Irving, Gino: Boyce

Halliday, Walker, Wighton decent options from bench

I think Halliday will start, probably at the expense of Irving, which is harsh, but I think we'll start with experience in midfield.

The way i see it is a free hit, massive underdogs but hopefully we don't give them too much respect and sit in, I would pack the midfield with Irving Haring and Halliday, Walker and Ginnelly on wings and Boyce up top. 

Celtic have it all to lose.

I would like to see a 3-5-2

Gordon

Smith Berra Halkett

Ginnelly Haring Halliday Kingsley 

Irving

Naismith Boyce

With Walker, Wighton and lee on bench we have good options.

We are doing this! 3-2 Hearts! 

:yas:

2 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

I would like to see a 3-5-2

Gordon

Smith Berra Halkett

Ginnelly Haring Halliday Kingsley 

Irving

Naismith Boyce

I agree we need to play a back 3.....our central defence isn’t as solid as it should be and Berra needs a bit of protection/cover imo.

Celtic aren’t great down the flanks without Forrest which is one less thing to be overly concerned about.

2 minutes ago, Billy Hoyle said:

Irving in for Halliday for me and that would be my team. Last 2 games Irving has really impressed me and deserves to start. 

That was against a Morton and QotS who gave us all the ball and all time we required. Irving is ideal in games like that.

Irving won't get that next week, he will have to defend a lot more and that ain't a strong part of his game.

There are lots of midfield variations that can be made  and some players will be disappointed.

Can we afford Walker strolling around or is that offset with his ability to score, can we afford Lees lack of pace or is that offset by his ability now and again to find a cross or hit a peach, can we afford Irvings lack of defensive ability or is that offset with his forward thinking? Haring great to have but can he give us a full 90mins on that pitch, Halliday can be a bit slower, is that offset by his ability to get stuck in, find a pass and a threat in front if goal ?

All players have arguments to start, Neilson will have some serious choices to make in this game. Celtic, no matter how poor offer something different to a QotS/Morton.

Our record against Celtic since the semi in 2012 is:

W-2

D-2

L-27

Despite that, I feel like this will be our best chance to beat Celtic in a final for quite some time and I take some confidence that we were only narrowly defeated by Celtic under Levein after a terrible run of form. I think we've got a decent chance this time.

south morocco

After all the xxxxx Scottish football has put us through this year, it would be a massive GIRUY to all our dissenters. I hope in our build up we can use that this week to our advantage. 

8 minutes ago, Stanley_ said:

Our record against Celtic since the semi in 2012 is:

W-2

D-2

L-27

Despite that, I feel like this will be our best chance to beat Celtic in a final for quite some time and I take some confidence that we were only narrowly defeated by Celtic under Levein after a terrible run of form. I think we've got a decent chance this 

They stats would bring a tear to a glass eye😔. But nobody cares about what has happened before its Sunday what counts, let's do these cretins.

57 minutes ago, ducatiboy said:

Halliday v Brown, now there's a red waiting!

Aye and it won't be for Brown either. We shouldn't be winning this but I said the same last time and we nearly did. Anything can happen on the day so who knows, fingers and everything else crossed that we can pull this cup win off.

On the one hand. I keep getting a vision of Halkett nodding in the winner.  On the other hand, I see us winning 3-0.

Either will do but preferably the latter.

We need to protect our centre defence and build from there.  We have goal threats enough to win if it clicks

Beating Celtic in a cup final would complete the set in my lifetime as a Jambo 

Who would have thought that in 4 Scottish Cup wins since 1998, Rangers, Gretna,  Hibs and Celtic, Gretna would have been the toughest.

Just shows.

Neilson has some tough decisions:

Do we start with the same 11 from today?

Does Ginnelly start? Who does he drop?

Do Haring and Halliday also come in?

My main worry is about our defence.

Losing too many goals from set pieces.  We also don't look strong through the middle of our defence which a team like Celtic can exploit.

If Halliday plays I hope he keeps the head given the opposition.

The only way to play Celtic is to attack them or you play into their hands.

All things considered, this is the best chance Hearts have of beating them in a final at Hampden.

No big noisy celtc crowd to influence the ref and a poor run of form for them recently.

But there has to be a real belief within the side.

Turning up and just hoping for something to happen will not be enough.

Hearts 3-1.

I don't expect to win but I hope we attack and give it our best. That's all that matters next Sunday. If we do, you never know, we might win. 

I don't think sitting in v Celtic is the right ploy. 

Got to go for it from the start. Get right in their faces. Don't give them second or an inch on the ball. Sit back and they'll play us off the park. We were unlucky last time. We can do it this time. Come on the Famous JTs!

1 hour ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Neilson has some tough decisions:

Do we start with the same 11 from today?

Does Ginnelly start? Who does he drop?

Do Haring and Halliday also come in?

He drops Aidy White......it’s not anywhere near a tough decision imo.

3 hours ago, Gambo said:

That was against a Morton and QotS who gave us all the ball and all time we required. Irving is ideal in games like that.

Irving won't get that next week, he will have to defend a lot more and that ain't a strong part of his game.

There are lots of midfield variations that can be made  and some players will be disappointed.

Can we afford Walker strolling around or is that offset with his ability to score, can we afford Lees lack of pace or is that offset by his ability now and again to find a cross or hit a peach, can we afford Irvings lack of defensive ability or is that offset with his forward thinking? Haring great to have but can he give us a full 90mins on that pitch, Halliday can be a bit slower, is that offset by his ability to get stuck in, find a pass and a threat in front if goal ?

All players have arguments to start, Neilson will have some serious choices to make in this game. Celtic, no matter how poor offer something different to a QotS/Morton.

If Irving wants to be a premier league midfield player then it’s time to step up and see if he is up to the task in my opinion. He is a better footballer than Halliday but agree he needs to be defensively better. 

1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

He drops Aidy White......it’s not anywhere near a tough decision imo.

Yep White and Lee out and Ginnelly and Haring in for me. 

5 hours ago, Sarah O said:

We're winning by at least 2 goals. 

:yas: 

A Sarah post, before a Hearts v Celtic game, is like lucky maroon heather.

Guest ToqueJambo
52 minutes ago, Billy Hoyle said:

If Irving wants to be a premier league midfield player then it’s time to step up and see if he is up to the task in my opinion. He is a better footballer than Halliday but agree he needs to be defensively better. 

Celtic will target Irving with some pretty physical stuff early doors if he starts. We saw that with Cochrane after they'd seen what he was capable of. They will have no worries about kicking a young player off the park to unsettle him early. And the ref will give him zero protection.

It's a big decision which two to play out of him, Halliday and Haring but hopefully Irving and Haring get the nod to start.

Edited by ToqueJambo

8 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Celtic will target Irving with some pretty physical stuff early doors if he starts. We saw that with Cochrane after they'd seen what he was capable of. They will have no worries about kicking a young player off the park to unsettle him early. And the ref will give him zero protection.

It's a big decision which two to play out of him, Halliday and Haring but hopefully Irving and Haring get the nod to start.

Agreed. Just got to hope if they foul him he gets the protection he should. In any case he’s not a wee laddie he should be getting fired right into them from minute 1!! 

A_A wehatethehibs
9 minutes ago, Homme said:

Haring HAS to start.

This is what he's been aimed at for months now.

I’m not sure, think it’s 

13 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I don’t think it’ll be 2 there’ll be 3 at Center mid, I am almost certain Neilson will play Haring-Lee-Halliday, and then 3 out of Walker-Boyce-Naismith-Roberts. Maybe Ginelly in as the unknown quantity. He will want an experienced line up with bodies in midfield, and will know exactly the treatment Irving will get with zero protection from the ref. But on the other hand, maybe it is right, to chuck Irving in for the sink or swim moment. He’ll be in deep water that’s for sure. It is a tough call.If Irving does start I would think Halliday will be placed on patrol pretty close to him.

• wattie exploited changed the title to come on hearts