***Official Heart of Midlothian v Celtic Scottish Cup Final 2020 thread***

Swanny17

13 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

Strangely enough, I too have a strong feeling that Wighton will play an important part in this final.  Think about the players who have already scored for us in this cup run - mostly players who were either on the periphery, or previously dissed on here.  Wighton kept that theme up in the semi final and so I'm looking for that to continue in the final.

It will happen like this: Celtic will be doubling up on Ginnelly who had come on for the last 30 minutes and was giving them trouble. Naismith had drifted into the space in the D left by the doubling up. Irving looked up and shaped to pass to Ginelly, but instead he pinged the ball to the feet of Naismith who stepped over the ball, letting it run to Wighton who had read the move, and run into the box for a side-foot finish across the goalie into the bottom right.

Saw it all in my dream last night.

Edited by upgotheheads

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neilnunb

• Gorgie Boot boy

• Bazzas right boot

• kila

highlandjambo3
2 hours ago, gowestjambo said:

I am glad someone recognises the folly of continually doing what we have always done. These tactics hand the game on a plate to celtic. Last year we competed brilliantly by closing them down at every opportunity. Once Haring went off, we got deeper and deeper. If Zlamal had not dithered we might still have won last year. Celtic scoring changed the momentum of the whole game.

Teams are going to Parkhead (similar size pitch to Hampden) and playing with no fear against them. It is time we did the same and had a go.

If Celtic score first were goosed 

1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Wouldn’t it be great if every single thing that needs to go for us, actually goes for us and everything that needs to go against them goes against them and we give them a right hiding.

Horatio Caine
2 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

It will happen like this: Celtic will be doubling up on Ginnelly who had come on for the last 30 minutes and was giving them trouble. Naismith had drifted into the space in the D left by the doubling up. Irving looked up and shaped to pass to Ginelly, but instead he pinged the ball to the feet of Naismith who stepped over the ball, letting it run to Wighton who had read the move, and run into the box for a side-foot finish across the goalie into the bottom right.

Saw it all in my dream last night.

Cool.  If this is how it works out, you can PM me with the lottery numbers!

August Landmesser
1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

Hopefully has the opposite effect intended and ratchets up the pressure on them to get a treble so they fall to bits, barriers thrown everywhere, tears, snotters, green and grey scarves trampled into puddles, mini riots...

Gorgie Boot boy
5 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

Hopefully has the opposite effect intended and ratchets up the pressure on them to get a treble so they fall to bits, barriers thrown everywhere, tears, snotters, green and grey scarves trampled into puddles, mini riots...

Attention seeking scumbags.

Score prediction then.  I've been veering towards a 1-0 or 3-0 win but I'm settling on reversing the previous result with a 2-1 win and Halkett scoring the winner.

Less than 100 hours to go.

Gorgie Boot boy
5 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Score prediction then.  I've been veering towards a 1-0 or 3-0 win but I'm settling on reversing the previous result with a 2-1 win and Halkett scoring the winner.

I have been having a lot of Nostradamus type thoughts and visions with this game , all of them show us lifting the cup.

2-3

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Yeah, nightmare scenerio is we're 3-0 down after 30 minutes and looking lost. 

I'm hopeful, if not confident that won't happen. 

Play the same game as last Cup final but with Haring, Gordon and Naismith in the side we're good to go. 

Despite our demotion, I think celtic are in worse shape and we're in much better shape than the last Cup final- confidence, injury and balance wise. 

Strange. 

Just hope we don't fall apart and get hosed early doors. 

Back four and keeper pick themselves, have to have Naismith, Walker, Lee and Boyce in on current form. Also need a bit of steel in midfield so halliday or Haring need to be in, bit of pace out wide so white or Ginnelly should play. Based on match fitness I'll opt for white and halliday

Gordon

Smith

Halkett

Berra

Kingsley 

Walker

Lee

Halliday

White

Boyce

Naismith 

39 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Back four and keeper pick themselves, have to have Naismith, Walker, Lee and Boyce in on current form. Also need a bit of steel in midfield so halliday or Haring need to be in, bit of pace out wide so white or Ginnelly should play. Based on match fitness I'll opt for white and halliday

Gordon

Smith

Halkett

Berra

Kingsley 

Walker

Lee

Halliday

White

Boyce

Naismith 

I can't see Harring starting on the bench, nor Halliday or Irving. It's between Walker Lee and Gino for the last midfield spot. I think Lee will get it with Gino and Walker coming off the bench. It's actually really difficult to decide which combination works best. I think Halliday will play left side so he can tuck in if required to give Harring cover, not sure we offer much without Irvings passing and Lee also has a strike on him, we need to test their keeper big pressure on him.

Gorgie Boot boy
52 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Gordon

Smith

Halkett

Berra

Kingsley 

Walker

Lee

Halliday

White

Boyce

Naismith 

Head fryer

Edited by Gorgie Boot boy

51 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Gordon

Smith

Halkett

Berra

Kingsley 

Walker

Lee

Halliday

White

Boyce

Naismith 

There's no equivalence between Haring and Halliday, one is class , the other is a journeyman. Ginelly is not fit for 90 minutes. Walker  or Lee is the question for me, I said Walker in an earlier post but maybe Lee would be better with Walker coming on later. Irving is our classiest player and must start in a cup final.

1 minute ago, upgotheheads said:

There's no equivalence between Haring and Halliday, one is class , the other is a journeyman. Ginelly is not fit for 90 minutes. Walker  or Lee is the question for me, I said Walker in an earlier post but maybe Lee would be better with Walker coming on later. Irving is our classiest player and must start in a cup final.

Irving starts. I get people suggesting he won’t get enough time on the ball to be at his best but he is THE player who can pick the pass that unlocks the tims defence. 

2 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Aye well the cheating prick Dougie McDonald had a say in that. He gave us feck all. 

Anyway, you know as well as I do that that Hearts team would pish all over the current Celtic team, officials permitting.

Denying us the penalty in extra time was just extraordinary.

3 hours ago, underwaterwoodwelder said:

I just checked my sky bet odds for us on Sunday. We are 12/1 that's mad.

Good odds if you got that price.   

sky bet now 17/2. 
BetVictor 10/1. 

Hopefully an early Christmas coming for hearts fans 

Geoff Kilpatrick

Never felt more relaxed about a cup final. If we lose, it is a shrug shoulders and move on. If we win, it is more of a GIRUY to the cabal that run the game than the celebration of an achievement and, of course, the most appropriate tribute to Big Zal.

2 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Almost a Replica of the 98 final. We’ll score early in both halves. Lose a goal on the hour and cling on for dear life

2-1 Hearts

2 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

One thing I'm sure we can all agree on when picking a team putting Craig Gordon as number 1 gives you some degree of confidence.

It certainly helps to have a very good goalkeeper. 

Gorgie Boot boy
4 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

One thing I'm sure we can all agree on when picking a team putting Craig Gordon as number 1 gives you some degree of confidence.

Gordon

Smith

Halkett

Berra

kingsley

Lee

Haring

Irving

Halliday

Ginnelly

Boyce

1 minute ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Gordon

Smith

Halkett

Berra

kingsley

Lee

Haring

Irving

Halliday

Ginnelly

Boyce

I'm sure Naismith will play? 

1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

Denying us the penalty in extra time was just extraordinary.

People seem to forget that incident  main on skacel ?sending off and a penalty....

1 hour ago, Scott980612 said:

Good odds if you got that price.   

sky bet now 17/2. 
BetVictor 10/1. 

Hopefully an early Christmas coming for hearts fans 

We're currently 9/1 with 365 and 8/1 with Laddies. 

Gorgie Boot boy
40 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I'm sure Naismith will play? 

Who knows, i went with the wild card side.

Bring on Naisy Walker Whighton in the second half.

1 hour ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Gordon

Smith

Halkett

Berra

kingsley

Lee

Haring

Irving

Halliday

Ginnelly

Boyce

Naismith and Walker will be first on the team sheet along with Gordon and Smith . And rightly so.

Gorgie Boot boy
Just now, 1971fozzy said:

Naismith and Walker will be first on the team sheet along with Gordon and Smith . And rightly so.

It was a wild card side, we will need engines with a full tank for the second half.

I get what you are saying, sometimes you have to slowly catch the monkey though.

4 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Not convinced Walker will start if Ginelly is starting. 

Gorgie Boot boy
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

1 hour ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Gordon

Smith                               kingsley

Halkett          Berra

Lee               Haring         Irving

Ginnelly          Halliday

Boyce

9 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

maybe but harsh to drop Walker as he’s been banging in the goals

Gorgie Boot boy
1 minute ago, 1971fozzy said:

exactly why you unleash him with fresh legs.

Guest ToqueJambo
36 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Walker's our best attacking mid by some distance. He has to play behind the striker.

One thing this thread highlights is that there isn't a blatantly obvious first XI for Sunday as it's rare that two posters in a row agree.

Almost all the JKB lineup predictions are based around 13 core players (14 if you include a couple mentioning Popescu). No matter who starts I'd fully expect the two that are unlucky to miss out to still play a big part.

My point is that I don't think team selection for this game will be as key as for some games. It will be more about minimising mistakes, needing Craig Gordon to be on form and taking advantage of the few opportunities we get.

Being it on.

Jambo, Goodbye

A fair mix of opinions. Personally, I loathe the "stay in the game until 2nd half / 60th minute" approach. It almost never works and often doesn't allow for a plan B. Even if it does work, the plan is to be drawing 0-0 or be only one goal down and chasing the game against a side that won't feel pressured to commit or take risks going forward. The game begins in the first minute, not the 60th!

As for the team, the back 5 more or less picks itself, Berra being the only question mark. I'd personally select Berra for three reasons. First, he has a more established partnership with Halkett. Second, dropping him now would be upsetting in the dressing room I think, especially after how Stendel dropped him. Lastly, he will hopefully have a much higher burning desire to win this with his memories of the last cup final clear in his mind. His motivation will be second to none. 

Naismith and Boyce, we are all agreed on :) 

Midfield is the tricky one. 

Haring is a must, crazy to me that some posters had him on the bench. 

The two that I would definitely start would be Irving and Gino. Irving is arguably our best passer, and unless we think Celtic having the ball is better than us having the ball, we need our best passers. It is the best form of defence, and absolutely necessary if we are going to be counterattacking, or making use of the long pitch to stretch Celtic's biggest weakness, their back 4. 

Haring will more than cover Irving defensively and those two together will not let us down when trying to retain possession. 

As more Gino, can he only last 60 minutes? Nobody actually knows, but assuming this is true, why are we then dropping him for a 30 minute appearance instead? An appearance that could see us already 2 or 3 goals down by the time he is stripped?

I say start him, get that 60 minutes+, cause those ****s all the problems that we can, and aim to be 2 goals up after 60 minutes, not "still in the game". We need a fresh Boyce to be on the end of a proper winger's service, he won't get the space or have the energy to keep up with Gino in the latter stages. 

For balance, Olly Lee plays right mid, his best position imo. His right foot crosses are sublime, (reminds me of Boyack) and he can drop in to cover. 

Walker is your man for replacing Gino if needed, yes he's scoring goals, but someone needs to drop out, and he isn't a winger who can stretch the back four. 

Halliday would be benched too. No doubt a great option when we are holding on to our 2 goal lead after 70 minutes or so ;) 

Gordon

Smith Halkett Berra Kingsley 

Haring     Irving 

Lee        Naismith       Gino

Boyce

Jambo, Goodbye

I emailed Hearts TV about showing the game internationally, they said they were "awaiting final notification from the club". Hopefully another streaming option for us ex-pats coming soon. 

Remember that bubble being well & truly burst by the Mighty JT’s on this date, 3 years ago?  Lets use it to inspire a great Cup Final performance on Sunday. No noisy ‘tic fans pressurising the ref/assistants into making the usual dubious, controversial decisions either.  
Let’s burst that quadruple treble talk/bubble too - only quadruple will be another 4 goals for the JT’s!!! 

C’mon the Jambos!

F8B4A4C5-5612-4DF8-9BB7-7BEFD7906B63.jpeg

5 hours ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

A fair mix of opinions. Personally, I loathe the "stay in the game until 2nd half / 60th minute" approach. It almost never works and often doesn't allow for a plan B. Even if it does work, the plan is to be drawing 0-0 or be only one goal down and chasing the game against a side that won't feel pressured to commit or take risks going forward. The game begins in the first minute, not the 60th!

As for the team, the back 5 more or less picks itself, Berra being the only question mark. I'd personally select Berra for three reasons. First, he has a more established partnership with Halkett. Second, dropping him now would be upsetting in the dressing room I think, especially after how Stendel dropped him. Lastly, he will hopefully have a much higher burning desire to win this with his memories of the last cup final clear in his mind. His motivation will be second to none. 

Naismith and Boyce, we are all agreed on :) 

Midfield is the tricky one. 

Haring is a must, crazy to me that some posters had him on the bench. 

The two that I would definitely start would be Irving and Gino. Irving is arguably our best passer, and unless we think Celtic having the ball is better than us having the ball, we need our best passers. It is the best form of defence, and absolutely necessary if we are going to be counterattacking, or making use of the long pitch to stretch Celtic's biggest weakness, their back 4. 

Haring will more than cover Irving defensively and those two together will not let us down when trying to retain possession. 

As more Gino, can he only last 60 minutes? Nobody actually knows, but assuming this is true, why are we then dropping him for a 30 minute appearance instead? An appearance that could see us already 2 or 3 goals down by the time he is stripped?

I say start him, get that 60 minutes+, cause those ****s all the problems that we can, and aim to be 2 goals up after 60 minutes, not "still in the game". We need a fresh Boyce to be on the end of a proper winger's service, he won't get the space or have the energy to keep up with Gino in the latter stages. 

For balance, Olly Lee plays right mid, his best position imo. His right foot crosses are sublime, (reminds me of Boyack) and he can drop in to cover. 

Walker is your man for replacing Gino if needed, yes he's scoring goals, but someone needs to drop out, and he isn't a winger who can stretch the back four. 

Halliday would be benched too. No doubt a great option when we are holding on to our 2 goal lead after 70 minutes or so ;) 

Gordon

Smith Halkett Berra Kingsley 

Haring     Irving 

Lee        Naismith       Gino

Boyce

This team could win us the cup and the above analogy all makes sense.

So that’s two for this team so far 👍

Just had a look at the team that played them in the last final. Zlamal in goal, a half fit Haring, Edwards, MacLean up front by himself.  And we still took them all the way. Cheated of truth be told. 

One thing is for sure, we have far more options this time. We have a much stronger 11 and Celtic are on the decline. 

It’s happening.

• wattie exploited changed the title to come on hearts