***Official Heart of Midlothian v Celtic Scottish Cup Final 2020 thread***

Swanny17

11 minutes ago, Fifejambo 51 said:

Lee has to start. Anonymous alot of the time but noone compares for assists

Lee Haring Halliday Irving Ginelly Walker. Two of those 6 will have to sit on the bench. Given that Boyce and Naismith are certain starters assuming fitness.

This might be a quick game in midfield with lots of pressing and snappy tackling. Not sure it suits Lee having to work run and dig. He’s fallen out of games like that in the past. I’d go with Haring Irving Walker and Ginelly (if fit- if not I’d go with Halliday) The only other question for me is do you expose Berra to such pace  and if you can’t risk that who do you play there that isn’t called Popescu

Edited by JimmyCant

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neilnunb

• Gorgie Boot boy

• Bazzas right boot

• kila

14 minutes ago, Fifejambo 51 said:

Lee has to start. Anonymous alot of the time but noone compares for assists

We can’t carry ‘anonymous’ in

midfield next week hoping he’ll find a moment. 

6 hours ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Been no better time to play them in a final in the last 4 years. All the pressure is on them. I just hope we go for it, I’ll take losing if I know we went out and gave it everything. What I’ll struggle to take is if we go hiding against this mob. In my opinion would our biggest achievement in my lifetime. Beating Rangers, Hibs and Celtic to win a Scottish cup is incredible, add in all what’s happened to the club I’m between aswell

I hope we play similar to last time. Levein had the tactics pretty much spot on and for an hour or so it looked like we could do it. I want us to have a go but it has to be measured. It's a balancing act but I'm hopeful now we have a reliable keeper and a few who can find the net. 

6 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Good one to get in the mood

👏👏

Between 47 and 48 minutes in, have a look at the’pass’ from Lennon to Bednar - a thing of beauty 

4 minutes ago, topsport said:

👏👏

Between 47 and 48 minutes in, have a look at the’pass’ from Lennon to Bednar - a thing of beauty 

Kevin De Bruyne couldn't pick a better pass. 😊

1 minute ago, Wee Mikey said:

Kevin De Bruyne couldn't pick a better pass. 😊

😁

let’s hope Lennon resorts to depending on has-beens like‘brownie’ and he hands us a Christmas gift like that pass! 
Brilliant collection of goals in that link, some great memories and my god it reminds me how special Robbo was!

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Play Halliday 🤷🏿‍♂️

Don't play Halliday 🤷🏿‍♂️

It’s a Lafferty situation.

I’d play Halliday ... he’s experienced beating Celtic at Hampden and will be going all out to bust the quadruple treble. 

6 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Good one to get in the mood

Some right crackers in there. Austin's goal, for me, sticks in the memory. Had family visiting from England, my dad couldn't go so my cousin tags along. He had never experienced Scottish football before. I tried to explain as best I could how big the game was, he just saw it as a game of football and I couldn't get across how much it would mean to beat them... when we equalised... he understood. Then the winner went in, even he was going completely daft. He was as buzzing as I was for the rest of the day, you couldn't wipe the smile off his face. Reminded me of my first game at home. First taste of the Tynecastle atmosphere, instantly hooked. Nothing else like it. :pray:

I'd like to see a back 3 with Smith in it, think he provides the protection and cover we will need defensively. Also like to see Irving start in midfield, I understand he can be a liability defensively but we will need to score to beat that lot and his passing is one our best avenues to do that. 

If Robbie gets the team right, quietly confident we can win this.

Edited by Rooster20

3 minutes ago, WDJ87 said:

Some right crackers in there. Austin's goal, for me, sticks in the memory. Had family visiting from England, my dad couldn't go so my cousin tags along. He had never experienced Scottish football before. I tried to explain as best I could how big the game was, he just saw it as a game of football and I couldn't get across how much it would mean to beat them... when we equalised... he understood. Then the winner went in, even he was going completely daft. He was as buzzing as I was for the rest of the day, you couldn't wipe the smile off his face. Reminded me of my first game at home. First taste of the Tynecastle atmosphere, instantly hooked. Nothing else like it. :pray:

👍 great stuff 

1 hour ago, PauloSergio said:

Gordon

Smith Halkett Berra Kingsley

Ginnelly Haring Irving Halliday

Naisy Boyce

2-1 Hearts, Berra to score a header to win it

Walker for Halliday. And possibly Haring alongside Halkett and Lee in with Irving. Irving is first on my team sheet, the lad can play and his passing range is the best we have, full stop. 

A_A wehatethehibs
36 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Walker for Halliday. And possibly Haring alongside Halkett and Lee in with Irving. Irving is first on my team sheet, the lad can play and his passing range is the best we have, full stop. 

But the risk factor is, with his desire to get the head up and pass it forward, Celtic unlike any other team we’ve faced, will have so many traps set for him and are the most dangerous team in Scotland on the counter attack. Its the managers job is to be prepared for all these pits and traps which the opposition will lay for us, even with the bad form, they are a massively experienced team of internationalists. We cannot give away any cheap possession in midfield in the game.

But in saying all that, I think I would lean toward playing him. Just feel with the way he’s played last couple of games, it may be his time to rise to prominence and just catch them off guard like Cochrane did when he ran rings round Brown. That’s what we all want to see. Its a difficult call though. We’re not playing Queen of the South here!

6 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

But the risk factor is, with his desire to get the head up and pass it forward, Celtic unlike any other team we’ve faced, will have so many traps set for him and are the most dangerous team in Scotland on the counter attack. Its the managers job is to be prepared for all these pits and traps which the opposition will lay for us, even with the bad form, they are a massively experienced team of internationalists. We cannot give away any cheap possession in midfield in the game.

But in saying all that, I think I would lean toward playing him. Just feel with the way he’s played last couple of games, it may be his time to rise to prominence and just catch them off guard like Cochrane did when he ran rings round Brown. That’s what we all want to see. Its a difficult call though. We’re not playing Queen of the South here!

I'm not sure Celtic will be the team on the counter. So I think the perfect pass to mount attacks can be found from Irving. (Between their CHs and FBs) for our wide players. Well hopefully. 🙏

:heartscup:

Edited by ri Alban

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, ri Alban said:

I'm not sure Celtic will be the team on the counter. So I think the perfect pass to mount attacks can be found from Irving. Well hopefully. 🙏

:heartscup:

They’re just waiting for that spell in the game though, where you have that bit of possession and get yourself up the pitch, and bang, they hit you on the break. So effective at springing that trap. But I feel we will have plans of our own, of how to do damage and exploit the gaps Celtic have been leaving this season. However the game goes, we will be bringing the cup home and the Celtic team bus, will not make it back to Parkhead intact

16 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

They’re just waiting for that spell in the game though, where you have that bit of possession and get yourself up the pitch, and bang, they hit you on the break. So effective at springing that trap. But I feel we will have plans of our own, of how to do damage and exploit the gaps Celtic have been leaving this season. However the game goes, we will be bringing the cup home and the Celtic team bus, will not make it back to Parkhead intact

:yas:

6 hours ago, boag1874 said:

If possible

Gordon

Smith

Halkett

Berra

Kingsley

Haring

Irving

Gino

Naismith

Walker

Boyce

I’d be happy with this team but I think Gino may be on the bench. Think Lee will be in his place and we’ll set up to go 4,3,2,1.

I’m predicting this will be known as the Jamie Walker cup final 🇱🇻🙏🤞 

8 hours ago, boag1874 said:

If possible

Gordon

Smith

Halkett

Berra

Kingsley

Haring

Irving

Gino

Naismith

Walker

Boyce

Exactly what I'd choose too but can see Robbie choosing Lee or White and Halliday to start ahead of Gino and Haring.

It was very important to win yesterday and winning in style. It would have been easy for players to have their eyes on next week but well done players and coaching staff. We now have a chance for one of our most historic triumphs and can go into it in good fettle with league business back on course and put to one side for now.

Samuel Camazzola
16 hours ago, Sarah O said:

We're winning by at least 2 goals. 

Nearly three years to the day since THAT last forecast! 👍 

10 hours ago, topsport said:

👏👏

Stephen McManus' header was some finish too 🤣

I think the GK, defence and striker are all guaranteed to be the same as yesterday.

That leaves 5 spaces for the midfield/supporting strikers. A few have suggested Ginnelly but I think he'll be used as an impact sub.

That leaves the following 6 who will feel they deserve to start: Haring, Halliday, Lee, Irving, Naismith and Walker. My guess is that Irving will be the unlucky one given we are playing Celtic and will have less possession. If all is going well he can hopefully come on at a time when the game opens up more.

I reckon it will be a formation more like the Morton game with 3 CMs and Naismith and Walker fairly wide and supporting Boyce.

21 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

I think the GK, defence and striker are all guaranteed to be the same as yesterday.

That leaves 5 spaces for the midfield/supporting strikers. A few have suggested Ginnelly but I think he'll be used as an impact sub.

That leaves the following 6 who will feel they deserve to start: Haring, Halliday, Lee, Irving, Naismith and Walker. My guess is that Irving will be the unlucky one given we are playing Celtic and will have less possession. If all is going well he can hopefully come on at a time when the game opens up more.

I reckon it will be a formation more like the Morton game with 3 CMs and Naismith and Walker fairly wide and supporting Boyce.

Celtic will still have a lot of possession.

Ginnelly being an impact sub, which is best we can hope for I'd imagine.

That means a lot of the time to relieve a form of pressure on our defence is being able to pick 40 odd yard passes that gives Boyce and perhaps Naismith a chance to run a channel or hold up.

Irving and Haring are our best 2 players that can do that.

Irving must start.  Then it's a trust in Haring's injury position.

Otherwise it's 3-5-2, which we haven't used apart from Raith.

Edited by DETTY29

34 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

I agree with you. It will be the same formation we played against Hibs in the semi final. 

Leaves Gino, Wighton and Irving to come off the bench if neefed.

Have to set up a team that gets in their faces. Even with them on a poor run they will still be big favourites and will get chances. We have to hope Gordon has the game of his career that day.

Those players picked need to give everything. It’s a free hit to write themselves into legendary status.

We having nothIng to lose or fear with this one. Free hit as they say. We need to exploit the full width of the pitch and the slowness of their defence particularly through the middle. Therefore in my view we need to start with at least one genuine wide player up the park as near to Boyce. Space needs to be found in the team for Haring as well. I am still convinced if he had been able to stay on the park in the last final we would have held on to win. Amongst many the things he did that day he cut off the space that Celtic exploited when he went off. Space they will exploit again if we don’t have a genuine and quality defensive midfielder like him on the pitch. Other options such as Halliday and Lee are not at his level. Irving needs to play too primarily due to his great ability to pick a killer pass out. Again something neither Halliday or Lee possess.

We will have less of the ball than we have been seeing recently but I still hope we play in a positive way from the very start.

Lastly karma is a wonderful thing and I hope it will be seen in its fully splendour next Sunday!

HHGH

Allowayjambo1874

Would be astonished if this deep into the season we changed from favoured formation to play three at the back with wing backs. We have played it once this season and would be a gamble of monumental proportions to change to this for a cup final. Think Ginelly be impact sub although he may be the surprise if Robbie wants to gamble. Hate to say this but I reckon he will go for experience and Irving will drop to bench for Haring. (Personally think that would be a mistake) Berra still making mistakes but he’s probably forced himself back into contention so suspect team will be same as yesterday except Haring in for Irving.

3 minutes ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

Would be astonished if this deep into the season we changed from favoured formation to play three at the back with wing backs. We have played it once this season and would be a gamble of monumental proportions to change to this for a cup final. Think Ginelly be impact sub although he may be the surprise if Robbie wants to gamble. Hate to say this but I reckon he will go for experience and Irving will drop to bench for Haring. (Personally think that would be a mistake) Berra still making mistakes but he’s probably forced himself back into contention so suspect team will be same as yesterday except Haring in for Irving.

Agree totally regards Irving. There’s nothing more frustrating coming away from a game saying, “if only we’d played him”. etc... when you look back at moments in a game. 

We need a mix and the mix needs to be right. In a moment, he’s a player with an eye for a pass from midfield, you also need your combatants.  Let’s start believing our football can hurt teams, not go back into a defensive minded shell.

No one is saying go cavalry charge, just set the team up with players who can hurt teams but make sure we’ve got the grafters to get back in and cover.  

9 hours ago, PauloSergio said:

Gordon

Smith Halkett Berra Kingsley

Ginnelly Haring Irving Halliday

Naisy Boyce

2-1 Hearts, Berra to score a header to win it

I’d be happy if that was the team. I only see one weakness and that’s at centre back. However we don’t have many options there and you just need to hope Berra doesn’t get skinned too often or we cover it if and when he does 

Id rather Haring at centre half for this one but that’s unlikely and would be a huge slap in the puss for Berra who probably deserves to play on past service alone.

Edited by JimmyCant

Ross County and St Johnstone have shown is the blueprint. Pack the middle of the pitch, allow them the ball wide, defend balls into the box. Counter at pace.

Regardless of how Smellic have been playing rest assured they will be well up for it. We will have to be really on our game to get a result ( no stupid defensive errors), if we can keep it tight for the first 20mins or so then we have a chance. HHGH!!

22 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

It’s been that long I forgot we played airdrie and Falkirk 

Yes, a lovely wee Sunday morning re-cap from @Mikey1874. And I totally forgot about Damour's 'Hands of God' during the Gers game (which would've been poetic justice had it stood given the Gers handball that led to the corner), not to mention McGregor's fine contribution to our goal.

1 minute ago, micole said:

Regardless of how Smellic have been playing rest assured they will be well up for it. We will have to be really on our game to get a result ( no stupid defensive errors), if we can keep it tight for the first 20mins or so then we have a chance. HHGH!!

See this ‘keeping it tight for 20 minutes’ thing. It gives me the fear because by the time 20 minutes is gone you’ve allowed the pattern of the game to be established. Before you know it you’re keeping it tight until half time and then for an hour. It’s asking to be beaten.

Obviously it’s important not to lose an early goal but we can’t just sit and watch this game take place in front of us. I’d rather see us buzzing about them for the first 20 minutes and let them know they are in a game. Press their midfield. Release quickly. Ask their defence some questions. They’ve shown they don’t always have the answers at the back. 

1 hour ago, BigAlim said:

Halkett and Berra are the only concern for me, if they can remain focused and keep it simple then I think we'll win

And a concern for me. That’s why our midfield lineup has to be spot on to nullify their attacking play. I’d worry if our centre backs are under pressure as we concede goals very cheaply 

13 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

Ross County and St Johnstone have shown is the blueprint. Pack the middle of the pitch, allow them the ball wide, defend balls into the box. Counter at pace.

Hope Robbie and his backroom staff are reading this 

42 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

To beat Celtic, we have to compete in Midfield, We need ball winners, so Halliday and Haring need to be in the middle. Last year Haring going off, changed the game in their favour. (not to mention Zlmals will i wont i moment and a usual diving sellik mhank aided and abetted by Collum!!)

We need to be in their faces from kick off, and not allow them time on the ball. Rangers did this at Parkhead and limited Celtic to one shot at goal.......

There is usually no justice in Football, but after how we were treated by the SPFL/Celtic alliance  - next week could be one of the greatest days in our history!

18 hours ago, ducatiboy said:

Halliday v Brown, now there's a red waiting!

This is my worry. You just know it wouldn’t be for Saint Brown.

Cool heads, fight and get after them. They don’t like it up em

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

See this ‘keeping it tight for 20 minutes’ thing. It gives me the fear because by the time 20 minutes is gone you’ve allowed the pattern of the game to be established. Before you know it you’re keeping it tight until half time and then for an hour. It’s asking to be beaten.

Obviously it’s important not to lose an early goal but we can’t just sit and watch this game take place in front of us. I’d rather see us buzzing about them for the first 20 minutes and let them know they are in a game. Press their midfield. Release quickly. Ask their defence some questions. They’ve shown they don’t always have the answers at the back. 

This is it.

I’ve seen far too many games against them where we sit in and try to keep it tight, they lap that up. We need to try to impose ourselves on them, dictate the pace of the game and knock them out their stride. They undoubtedly have the better players so we need to work harder and fight for everything. The only way to give them a bloody nose is to land punches, I’d like to see us play our game, let them worry about us.

• wattie exploited changed the title to come on hearts