***Official Heart of Midlothian v Celtic Scottish Cup Final 2020 thread***

Swanny17

15 hours ago, maroonsgotop said:

I'll be in Gorgie if we win to welcome the team back as will lots of others (socially distanced of course)

Weve just spent the last 2 weeks slating Celtic fans who turned up to protest at Celtic Park. Mass Gathering in Gorgie if we win the cup is just as unacceptable. The team won’t be going there anyway and the police won’t allow anything to start happening in Gorgie.

If we win, it will hurt not being able to gather and celebrate in a crowd etc etc but it has to be done and anyone who does venture in is frankly an idiot as bad as those Celtic idiots in the last fortnight.

Sorry but you know what’s right here and what’s not right. Celebrate at home like the vast majority will reluctantly do

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neilnunb

• Gorgie Boot boy

• Bazzas right boot

• kila

3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Weve just spent the last 2 weeks slating Celtic fans who turned up to protest at Celtic Park. Mass Gathering in Gorgie if we win the cup is just as unacceptable. The team won’t be going there anyway and the police won’t allow anything to start happening in Gorgie.

If we win, it will hurt not being able to gather and celebrate in a crowd etc etc but it has to be done and anyone who does venture in is frankly an idiot as bad as those Celtic idiots in the last fortnight.

Sorry but you know what’s right here and what’s not right. Celebrate at home like the vast majority will reluctantly do

Agree.

On one hand this game should no tbe happening and it will be very strange watching this from the sofa.

On the other hand, if we actually manage to win this, it will probably be one of the finest moments in our history.

15 hours ago, maroonsgotop said:

I'll be in Gorgie if we win to welcome the team back as will lots of others (socially distanced of course)

Ach weel, it looks like just you, me, and Locky & his dad. Plenty of room on the Plaza. ❤❤G❤

7 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Our centre back pairing scares the shite out of me, to the point that I would play Haring there instead of Berra

You know your stuff not, if Haring was the player he was perhaps, but he is not getting a game for a reason.

Francis Albert
3 hours ago, bigsuperslim1874 said:

I’ve had (and still have) doubts regarding Berra’s ability however if there was just one more game he could somehow summon up a bit of pre-injury form this is it. I know he was an unused sub in 2006 but you can bet he will run through walls to win on Sunday. Fingers crossed he has a great performance.

I have not forgotten Berra's contribution in our last cup final. He may be just about up to coping with lower table Championship sides  But against even a struggling Celtic team he scares the shit out of me.

Just now, Francis Albert said:

I have not forgotten Berra's contribution in our last cup final. He may be just about up to coping with lower table Championship sides  But against even a struggling Celtic team he scares the shit out of me.

We’ll find out on Sunday if your fears are vindicated, or not. 

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

On one hand this game should no tbe happening and it will be very strange watching this from the sofa.

On the other hand, if we actually manage to win this, it will probably be one of the finest moments in our history.

And almost as welcome it would be one of Celtic's worst. After the competition being rigged for them too.

We've got a chance IMO but the team have to play with confidence and belief. Robbie should hammer home to the players that the pressure is all on Celtic - and that they will be feeling it big time. We've just got to go out there, focus on our game and ask questions of them. 

WoolfordsHearts

Berra playing against the filth originally gave me the fear but after seeing that oil drum duffy scoring yesterday, I feel we'll need him in there competing against him at set pieces. 

19 minutes ago, WoolfordsHearts said:

Berra playing against the filth originally gave me the fear but after seeing that oil drum duffy scoring yesterday, I feel we'll need him in there competing against him at set pieces. 

They’ve got 4 quite big laddies for set pieces. We’ll need to keep those to a minimum. Might be good if we taught Craig how to come for crosses this week 😀

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

We’ll find out on Sunday if your fears are vindicated, or not. 

He’s our weakest link defensively. He can’t be left against any kind of pace. I wouldn’t be surprised if we played a 3 back there and just let him win headers all day and keep out of bother .

5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

He’s our weakest link defensively. He can’t be left against any kind of pace. I wouldn’t be surprised if we played a 3 back there and just let him win headers all day and keep out of bother .

I think he is more solid than Popescu. 

The Treasurer
4 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Unfortunately you're probably right 😞

12 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

The pace criticism is a myth imo. He was outrunning strikers half his age on Saturday.  

We need a balance of a sound defence but some threat up from. 
For me, it’s the most solid 4 at the back (Smith Halkett Berra Kingsley) with Haring sitting in front. Gordon in goals makes this pretty strong and avoids Berra or Halkett going one-on-one or dragged out of position. 
If we do that, then we need attacking outlets with a lot of movement/ability to hold the ball up. For me, that’s Ginelly and Irvine over Lee and Halliday. Boyce will start. Want Naisey in Brown’s face (if he plays). Think Walker can score from outside the box and tracks back and will be needed. Not sure who gets last place. 

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

I think he is more solid than Popescu. 

At Dunfermline, there was a period where Popescu utterly lost the plot. It was RAPID. I would be amazed if he is anywhere other than the bench

3 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

At Dunfermline, there was a period where Popescu utterly lost the plot. It was RAPID. I would be amazed if he is anywhere other than the bench

He was a total bombscare just after he came on. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

He's potentially our strongest or weakest link depending on how he plays. He's capable of both. My worry is his lack of sharpness defending against top class players. Also wondering if a back 3 could work for this game with Smith and Ginnelly/White as WBs. Quite a big ask for Ginnelly but White could probably do it, but then we don't have a place for Ginnelly. Glad I'm not a manager.

Edited by ToqueJambo

8 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Was that the game when he came on to play rb?

Just now, PauloSergio said:

Was that the game when he came on to play rb?

He was on from the start. Centre of defence. Not that he was helped a lot that night. Confidence crumbled though, too obviously

WoolfordsHearts
2 minutes ago, PauloSergio said:

We need Edouard to start imo. Hasn’t been up to much and I could see Griffiths scoring v us

I'd imagine the thumb will be in a maternity ward the day of the game👍

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, gashauskis9 said:

The pace criticism is a myth imo. He was outrunning strikers half his age on Saturday.  

He was apparently one of the fastest in the squad last season, which might say more about the other players 🤣 It's his turning speed that worries me. If he plays he'll be so up for it though and will want to make amends for the last cup final.

4 hours ago, stirlo said:

We've got a chance IMO but the team have to play with confidence and belief. Robbie should hammer home to the players that the pressure is all on Celtic - and that they will be feeling it big time. We've just got to go out there, focus on our game and ask questions of them. 

We park the bus we get beat. 

We have a real go at them we have a chance. 

Very interesting to see how Neilson plays it. 

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, WoolfordsHearts said:

Yip, thier other centre half is decent in the air as well. 

I don't want us to sit too deep, but v Celtic we won't play too high a line so I'm fine with Berra playing. 

Between Berra and Popescu, I'd play Berra every time. 

Regardless of who we play at the back a win on Sunday is a huge ask and highly unlikely. Being realistic we are more likely to lose by 3 or 4 than win this. Their record at Hampden tells you that. I’m always hopeful a shock will happen but we know how this works🤷‍♂️

8 minutes ago, jambmoz said:

Regardless of who we play at the back a win on Sunday is a huge ask and highly unlikely. Being realistic we are more likely to lose by 3 or 4 than win this. Their record at Hampden tells you that. I’m always hopeful a shock will happen but we know how this works🤷‍♂️

Wasn't working on this day, was it. 

:rudiyas:

Edited by ri Alban

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Wasn't working on this day, was it. 

:rudiyas:

One of my best days out as a Hearts fan! Getting a 90 minute penalty against Celtic in Glasgow in a semi-final...  :heartscup:

3 hours ago, King prawn said:

One of my best days out as a Hearts fan! Getting a 90 minute penalty against Celtic in Glasgow in a semi-final...  :heartscup:

Exorcised the demons from the 1988 semi final. 🇱🇻🏆

12 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

We park the bus we get beat. 

We have a real go at them we have a chance. 

Very interesting to see how Neilson plays it. 

Agree.  We need to be cute in both attacking and defending, but for me defending isn’t just about a cautious set up.

Its how hard you work, how much you want to run, how much you match them when they are in possession. It’s about workrate.   

An energised Hearts team on top of their game has a chance.  If you are sluggish and honed on sitting in, you aren’t ready when the ball is in your possession. 

18 hours ago, Lfhearts said:

You know your stuff not, if Haring was the player he was perhaps, but he is not getting a game for a reason.

A large part of everything we have done so far this season has been with the cup final in mind. That’s why Haring has been used sparingly. It’s why we persisted with Boyce. It’s why we made sure Ginelly was 100% over his injury. It’s why we brought back an aerial defender. 

Haring won’t play at centre half but he will DEFINITELY play from the start

All IMO of course 

20 hours ago, Paddy Crossan said:

Put £30 on Hearts, 90 minutes at 11/1 and £30 to get trophy at 11/2, pretty good odds I think.

11/1 is a tremendous price on us. I’d rate our chances more like 3/1. 

We’ve come in a bit at 17/2 on Skybet now 

Edited by JimmyCant

18 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Agree.  We need to be cute in both attacking and defending, but for me defending isn’t just about a cautious set up.

Its how hard you work, how much you want to run, how much you match them when they are in possession. It’s about workrate.   

An energised Hearts team on top of their game has a chance.  If you are sluggish and honed on sitting in, you aren’t ready when the ball is in your possession. 

The old adage of the best defence is a good offence is the way I like to think of it. Subject to fitness I would play both White and Ginnley as they are both willing to run at the fullbacks pushing them into a more defensive role or at least making them think more rather than just flat out attacking like they can do if teams stand off them. 

15 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

They’ve got 4 quite big laddies for set pieces. We’ll need to keep those to a minimum. Might be good if we taught Craig how to come for crosses this week 😀

One flaw in that plan. Beaton the ref.

Celtic will get fouls around our box with impunity. We will get fouls around our own box with impunity too.

16 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Celtic will get fouls around our box with impunity. We will get fouls around our own box with impunity too.

That Kilmarnock game when I think Reilly got sent off.......

Proverbial if he sruck his whistle up hus anus, he would have managed the game better.

35 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

A large part of everything we have done so far this season has been with the cup final in mind. That’s why Haring has been used sparingly. It’s why we persisted with Boyce. It’s why we made sure Ginelly was 100% over his injury. It’s why we brought back an aerial defender. 

Haring won’t play at centre half but he will DEFINITELY play from the start

All IMO of course 

I disagree, but we will see, I would have thought he would have been given a run out against QOS, saying that we need his physicality with their freaks coming fwd for corners/free kicks.

40 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I’m not one for this continual referee conspiracy John. It smacks of defeatism and victim playing. If we defend properly and tackle properly you take the refs out of the equation. I can’t recall that many games over the years where a ref gave foul after foul against us which weren’t fouls. There have been 2 refs I can think of who were biased against us in a corrupt way. Both are long since retired. Yes there have been games where we’ve been totally done by a ref but there isn’t actually that many and we’ve actually been helped by a ref in 2 cup wins out of the 3 recent ones.

Its not Collum vs Celtic. anyone else is fine by me

Edited by JimmyCant

4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I’m not one for this continual referee conspiracy John. It smacks of defeatism and victim playing. If we defend properly and tackle properly you take the refs out of the equation. I can’t recall that many games over the years where a ref gave foul after foul against us which weren’t fouls. There have been 2 refs I can think of who were biased against us in a corrupt way. Both are long since retired. Yes there have been games where we’ve been totally done by a ref but there isn’t actually that many and we’ve actually been helped by a ref in 2 cup wins out of the 3 recent ones.

Its not Collum vs Celtic. anyone else is fine by me

I would love to agree with you, however Beaton will have a big say in the outcome of the game on Sunday. 54 years experience of watching Scottish football tells me this.

9 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I would love to agree with you, however Beaton will have a big say in the outcome of the game on Sunday. 54 years experience of watching Scottish football tells me this.

I expect he’ll have at least one big decision to make. If he gets it wrong, and they all do at some point, then we can maybe point the finger. He might well get it wrong in our favour which I imagine we’d have no problem with. I don’t believe for a minute that Beaton has a horse in this race (if anything he’s a Rangers man from what I hear - Celtic certainly didn’t want him as the ref)

We should worry about the things we can control and not giving away too many set pieces is one of them

Edited by JimmyCant

Will live in hope but I cant see anything in this team to suggest us winning.Just cant see where the fight will come from.The leagues the main thing .If we do win the cup its a massive bonus.

1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

I expect he’ll have at least one big decision to make. If he gets it wrong, and they all do at some point, then we can maybe point the finger. He might well get it wrong in our favour which I imagine we’d have no problem with. I don’t believe for a minute that Beaton has a horse in this race (if anything he’s a Rangers man from what I hear)

He is a West coast man first and foremost.

6 minutes ago, otterjohn said:

Will live in hope but I cant see anything in this team to suggest us winning.Just cant see where the fight will come from.The leagues the main thing .If we do win the cup its a massive bonus.

Let’s get this straight right from the start. A lack of fight and desire on Sunday is completely unacceptable and anyone not giving blood sweat and tears in this game will be roundly slaughtered. I don’t necessarily think desire and passion will be enough but I’ll be infuriated if we lie down and put in a meek performance. It’s not an option. We’ve got nothing to fear and nothing to lose here.

Edited by JimmyCant

Gordon Ramsay

Think they will have too much quality, don't trust us at the back.

Hopefully we put a decent fight and make a game of it though. Would be happy enough with that. 

9 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

He is a West coast man first and foremost.

As are our manager and our captain. Makes no difference unless your paranoid 

• wattie exploited changed the title to come on hearts